Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General gun discussions This is a place to lounge and discuss firearm related topics with other forum members.

Old 02-21-2019, 8:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnWnMe View Post
I'm glad I didn't start on a single stage.
Preach!
Old 02-21-2019, 8:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackcage View Post
You will spend just as much money if not more by reloading. You'll just shoot much more.

Reloading is another hobby. If you don't want more hobbies, reloading may not be for you. I love to reload and enjoy the time I spend in the garage.

Just my advice to consider this carefully before diving in.
This ^. So true. If you approach reloading as a money saving process, you will be disappointed from what I've experienced. If you view it as a necessary chore, you will also not enjoy it.

I have found that reloading is as enjoyable as shooting and I look forward to the time I spend doing it. Find it somewhat therapeutic and relaxing, but then again, I'm not a competitive shooter. I enjoy finding new ways (and tools to enhance the process) of enhancing my experience and that usually translates into spending $. Certain amount of pride in creating something that you can effectively use and use well.
Old 02-21-2019, 9:24 AM

There is nothing complex about a progressive and it only takes up more room in the vertical and not actual bench space. SS makes for a tedious time while you can crank out 100 rds in 15-30 minutes with a prog.

For a mechanistically inclined person with good measuring skills and using a powder check die, sure. Perhaps maybe a cartridge gauge on every so many completed rounds. I can crank out rounds on a single stage faster than my Chargemaster portions them out though, and gauge every one if I feel like it. A couple hundred is no burden,it's as almost as fast as my progressive for that small of an amount if I'm switching calibers, swappable die holders or no.
Old 02-21-2019, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clickjack View Post
Next question: I always hear reloaders talk like failures,squibs, and other mishaps are more common once you start reloading. Why? Just human error?
Unless you are kind of person having a Concentration Disorder or have no basic knowledge of reloading procedure, failures really do not occur much.

All these years of my reloading, I only had one round that did not go bang. Didn't have powder in the case. I was watching TV when I was reloading the batch in hurry for next day shooting.

That part is not something you should worry about much. It does take some KNOWLEDGE, but it's not a rocket science.

I know some guys in the thread recommended small hand loading set up out of good intention to help you out. But, don't ever get those. Just imagine yourself doing all those tedious work 300 times. That is if 300 rounds are average number of pistol rounds you shoot at a time.

You will be hating yourself and either throw them away or looking for replacements. Either way, waste of time and money.

Most of reloaders are not looking for save money. We reload for better accuracy or customization. There are some guys wants to save money, but most of them are in for hobby. REMEMBER, it take time and devotion.
Old 02-21-2019, 11:29 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I started with a RCBS Jr. single stage press. I've reloaded thousands of rounds in .38 special, .357 mag., 44 mag. and 45 ACP on this press with great results.
I've also loaded .308 and 25-06.

I started reloading .44 mag. because of cost, read the reloading manual and follow the directions exactly. I prefer Unique for lead loads and Blue Dot for jacketed Mags, there are many more new powders now but that's what I've used.
Old 02-21-2019, 1:30 PM

I think the simple answer is I love 45 colt, rarely shoot more than a box. The cost per box sucks the fun out. I think if I loaded my own (even if the cost came out flush), I’d enjoy it more than handing 45 / 50 bucks to a store for 50 rounds.

Of coarse I’m hoping after initial investment it will be less and I’ll shoot more.
Old 02-21-2019, 1:41 PM

Quote:
I think the simple answer is I love 45 colt, rarely shoot more than a box. The cost per box sucks the fun out. I think if I loaded my own (even if the cost came out flush), Iíd enjoy it more than handing 45 / 50 bucks to a store for 50 rounds.

Of coarse Iím hoping after initial investment it will be less and Iíll shoot more.
Just shop for cheaper ammo. I always buy from LAX ammo for 45 Long Colt. Their web price is about $99 for can of 250 rounds. I'm pretty sure their store ammo is pretty much close to it. Their ammo is pretty good. I have not seen any guys, just like you, who shoots 45 Long Colt more than 100 at a time.
Old 02-21-2019, 4:32 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
I think the simple answer is I love 45 colt, rarely shoot more than a box. The cost per box sucks the fun out. I think if I loaded my own (even if the cost came out flush), Iíd enjoy it more than handing 45 / 50 bucks to a store for 50 rounds.

Of coarse Iím hoping after initial investment it will be less and Iíll shoot more.
Then a hand press will be fine for you. My first reloading gear was the basic Lee Loader, which you hammer the cases and bullets in with a hammer. I loaded .44 Magnum with that for awhile, but the hand press didn't exist back then. The hammering is too noisy. I would have certainly bought the hand press if I could have.

A progressive is the last thing you need. You're not loading 500 rounds at a time. All you need is the hand press, a set of dies, an inexpensive electronic scale (but not TOO inexpensive), a powder funnel, maybe a powder trickler (although you could use a spoon instead), and some sort of priming tool. Lee makes a couple different options.

You don't need a caliper or trimmer, because revolver cases don't stretch. You don't have to measure cartridge length because revolver bullets crimp in a crimping groove. Use carbide dies so you don't have to lube cases. Revolver cases don't get super dirty so you can clean them with 409 and a paper towel. I did that for years before getting a tumbler.

If you only ever load revolver ammo, you don't need anything else. If you expand into autoloader auto you might want to get more equipment because you'll tend to shoot more rounds per session, and the ammo has to be loaded to stricter requirements.

I can tell you one thing for sure - you will love your .44 magnum a lot more when you can regularly feed it 240 gr lead bullets that go 900 fps. It's a load that doesn't bruise your hand, but still lets you know you're shooting a .44, and is cheap to load on top of it.
Old 02-21-2019, 5:05 PM

Go straight to a Dillon 550 or Redding t7. I have 2 single stage presses doing nothing but depriming and collecting dust. I reload 45 acp , 45 colt , 357 , 223 , 45 - 70. It's nice not depending on someone else for ammo !
Old 02-22-2019, 12:53 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackcage View Post
You will spend just as much money if not more by reloading. You'll just shoot much more.

Reloading is another hobby. If you don't want more hobbies, reloading may not be for you. I love to reload and enjoy the time I spend in the garage.
Depending on the amount you shoot you will save money.

I look at reloading as a necessary evil, both to save money and also to make rounds as factory rounds will not feed my competition guns.

I actually do not enjoy the time I spend in my garage reloading. Hence, why I went full automation. Least amount of time I spend reloading, better it is for me.

Currently I dry fire for 5 minutes while the machine is making rounds (200 rounds in that time), stop, re-verify powder charge, OAL, drop another 200 primers in the collator, and start the machine again for another 200 rounds. Every thousand rounds I also refill case collator and the bullet feeder. I case gauge every round later on while watching Netflix.
Old 02-22-2019, 1:14 PM
Signal Out of Banned
CGN Contributor

Quote:
How hard is it to get into reloading?

What Iím worried about is I donít have time to get into a second hobby / studdy a bunch of material.
Quote:
Originally Posted by splithoof View Post
THIS LAST STATEMENT ALONE SUGGESTS IT IS NOT FOR YOU. RELOADING IS SOMETHING A BEGINNER SHOULD BE WILLING TO INVEST QUALITY, UNINTERRUPTED TIME INTO TO ENSURE QUALITY, SAFE AMMUNITION.
The mechanics of reloading aren't all that difficult. All the advice you saw above regarding watching YouTube videos, reading books, talking to those more knowledgeable, etc., is spot-on, but ultimately, you have to provide the motivation and desire to learn. It's only as hard as you want to make it. If you see it as a chore, it will certainly be a chore because of the repetitiveness of it.

No harm watching some videos, reading a few books, and seeing if it's something you want to try. Nobody's asking you to commit to becoming an expert reloader even before you click on a single YouTube video. Get into it at your own pace, and if you find yourself being overwhelmed, disinterested, or bored, the hobby will still be here when you want to come back to it.

Gavin Newsom is a lying, cheating slickster and will be is the worst mistake California has ever made if he gets now that he has been elected Governor. Hollywood movie producers look to him and his oleaginous persona as a model for the corrupt "bad guy" politician character. This guy is so greasy, he could lubricate an entire arsenal of AR-15s just by breathing on them.
Old 02-22-2019, 1:30 PM
Calguns Addict

If you are NOT looking for bench rest quality ammo...skip single stage and go progressive.

As many above have already said, it is pretty easy to learn how to reload. Attention to detail is the important part.

I load on my single stage for low volume, precision rifle ammo.

For blaster and pistol match ammo....my Dillon 1050.

As for not having room..l hear this often. I live in a very small, 2bdrm condo. I have my single stage mounted on one of those small stands pictured above and store it covered in the garage.

My 1050 is tucked into a corner of the spare bedroom on a small, stable, work table.

I also hear how folks like reloading....I do not. I do it because I shoot some oddball calibers and no factory ammo is available.
So the 1050 really helps keep the tome I have to spend making ammo to a minimum. I can crank out 400 rounds of .38SC in about 15 min as long as I have filled primer tubes and the bullet and case feeders loaded up.

Good luck to you. With the CA ammo laws, I would DEFINITELY get into reloading.

What do you hear ???...... Nothing but the rain. Well grab your gun and bring in the cat.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar15barrels View Post
It makes it bigger and longer.

Last edited by BigBamBoo; 02-22-2019 at 1:35 PM..
Old 02-22-2019, 6:54 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Default Reloading?

Itís not hard at all but it does require dedication, focus and time. Itís an expensive hobby to get into. Make sure youíre in it all the way before you start. Donít start reloading to save money. You wonít. The money you save is marginally but in return youíll have quality ammo.
2.5" Smith & Wesson Model 66
4" Smith & Wesson Model 19
3.5" Smith & Wesson Model 29
Marlin 1894C
Colt Series 70 1911
Sig Sauer West German P228

Last edited by phdo; 02-22-2019 at 6:57 PM..
Old 02-22-2019, 9:09 PM

GPark,

I had a round that went very extra bang my first year of reloading 30 years ago...I was watching Magnum PI.

The rifle was nothing more than garbage.

I'm glad I didn't stop reloading as it is very enjoyable and haven't had an incident since.
Old 02-22-2019, 10:03 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tawadc95 View Post
GPark,

I had a round that went very extra bang my first year of reloading 30 years ago...I was watching Magnum PI.

The rifle was nothing more than garbage.

I'm glad I didn't stop reloading as it is very enjoyable and haven't had an incident since.

Holy cow. That sounds scary as hell. Donít tell him that. He might not want to get into reloading.

I always weigh my rifle casings and bullets. The casings will be kept in the same weight batch for its entire shelf life. I work on small batches at a time. After I charge, I would weigh the casings before I seat the bullet. Itís an extra step and itís not really needed but Iím pretty OCD. The peace of mind satisfies my compulsion.

With pistol calibers, I crank it out on my progressive as fast as I can. Iím not scared of overcharges due to the RCBS Lock-Out Die.
2.5" Smith & Wesson Model 66
4" Smith & Wesson Model 19
3.5" Smith & Wesson Model 29
Marlin 1894C
Colt Series 70 1911
Sig Sauer West German P228
Old 02-23-2019, 2:03 AM

Tagged