Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Survival and Preparations
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Survival and Preparations Long and short term survival and 'prepping'.

Old 07-08-2023, 12:31 AM

Question General First Aid question (scarring, bandaging, etc)

Had a freak accident in Japan and sliced my left forearm arm open, 4 weeks ago. 1 inch wide on one side x 1/2 inch long on the other two sides, skin peeled back and it bled enthusiastically. Didn't see a doctor per se but got a really good nurse at the clinic. She cleaned it up, put a large gauze patch on it, said it wasn't deep enough for stitches. She gave me two large bandages and said to put one on the following day and leave there for 24 hours, said surface would turn foamy-white and not to be alarmed, bandage contained some sort of adhesive medicine.

Did as directed and the bandages worked as advertised, and more or less "glued" the filleted skin back down. Removed the second one on day two as directed and switched to gauze with polysporin, changing daily.

Four weeks later the wound looks good, no pain, pale pink, but skin is sort of raised like it's going to leave a ultra-nasty, 3D scar.

What do at this point? I've been told keeping these types of injuries greasy prevents scarring, but should I still be bandaging it at this point? Or no bandage but keep it greasy? Or just let it dry out?

Thanking you in advance for any forward guidance.
Old 07-08-2023, 6:35 AM

If this laceration is now 4 weeks old and uncomplicated, there is nothing left to do. Your body will do what it's going to do at this point. The bandage is to protect the wound from germs in the environment until a scab forms so is typically only needed for a few days. Perhaps others with a background in wound care will give a more detailed answer.

Remember Calgunners; broken bones mend, wounds heal and chicks dig scars! Wear your scars with pride!
Old 07-09-2023, 2:08 AM

Mederma advanced scar gel might help it go down a bit. Is this your first real major wound beyond an average cut? How old are you? Your skin could be prone to keloid scar. Scar tissue forms on the outside surface instead of below. Search it up. I have some from when I had chickenpox around 16yrs old. I'm 50 now. I didn't know not to scratch them when they itch or they grow more. Maybe see a dermatologist to get cortisone shots to help bring the scar down and possibly make it smooth out altogether. If it turns out you do keloid, I'd look into getting them taken care of sooner than later. They really burn/itch sometimes.

Last edited by madland; 07-09-2023 at 2:12 AM..
Old 02-13-2024, 7:13 AM

Thanks much for the helpful replies, Gentlemen, I sure appreciate it. I'm very grateful for the good information and suggestions, and will follow up with your recommendations.

P.S. sorry for the tardy reply, I'm not on Calguns much and forgot about this post.
Old 02-13-2024, 7:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minsky moment View Post
Didn't see a doctor per se but got a really good nurse at the clinic. She cleaned it up, put a large gauze patch on it, said it wasn't deep enough for stitches. She gave me two large bandages and said to put one on the following day and leave there for 24 hours, said surface would turn foamy-white and not to be alarmed, bandage contained some sort of adhesive medicine.

Did as directed and the bandages worked as advertised, and more or less "glued" the filleted skin back down. Removed the second one on day two as directed and switched to gauze with polysporin, changing daily.

Four weeks later the wound looks good, no pain, pale pink, but skin is sort of raised like it's going to leave a ultra-nasty, 3D scar.

What do at this point?
Thank that Japanese nurse and be grateful to her for taking such good care of you and your wound.
Old 02-13-2024, 9:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunDog View Post
Thank that Japanese nurse and be grateful to her for taking such good care of you and your wound.
Hear, hear!