Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Ladies Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ladies Forum A place for our female Calgunners to discuss, share and interact without the 'excess attention' sometimes found in online forums.

Old 05-14-2013, 9:09 AM

Default Shotgun for my wife

Hi all!

I am looking to buy a shotgun for my wife. She is small (5'1" - 110lbs) with short arms.

She can handle my Remington 870 and brother's Beretta A400 w/kick off stock, but the barrel weight and length of pull make it difficult to keep the barrel up.

I found this shotgun and am interested to see if anyone has experience with it or has any recommendations for a shotgun for her:

Beretta 3901 Target RL 12 - 26"

Basic requirements: Semi-auto 12 Guage 26-28" barrel for Trap/Skeet, women's/youth fit stock

Any recommendations are much appreciated!
Old 05-14-2013, 9:20 AM
Calguns Addict

An HD shotgun with an 18.* barrel would be easier to handle than a long barrel duck-hunter with the added forward weight, but that's all I got...
well, and this: http://compare.ebay.com/like/1110642...Types&var=sbar

As I recall, my H&R Pardner-Pump Defender was only like $234 out the door (5+1).

Last edited by the86d; 05-14-2013 at 9:26 AM..
Old 05-14-2013, 9:46 AM

(Not your fault, but we've explained this about 190 times before. Please search the thread for more info from women who shoot trap. Don't bother to read the ones where men talk about what their wife needs.)

It won't really work to shoot trap/skeet with a tactical shotgun with that short a (18" barrel). And the old guys at the range, who have been shooting trap for 30 years and know what they are doing, will laugh their ashes off at you trying to do that. The point of the longer barrel is to keep the shot pattern contained at a distance.

To fit a gun, she (not you) has to go to a good gun shop that caters to hunters, when they're slow, maybe a Tuesday afternoon. She should shoulder every shotgun they have that has a shortish barrel, til she finds one she likes. (You stay home and mind the kids, let her do her own test driving. I know, guys want to help shop, but test driving like this is just about fit, not the technicals of a gun. You can't help with that).

If length of pull is an issue, get a gun with a wood stock and have a gunsmith measure her and cut the stock to her size. You can't do this effectively with a composite stock, because they're hollow. If the length of pull is right, the gun will almost balance itself in her left hand.

Take a look at a Weatherby SA-08, nice gun, not too expensive, 12 ga, semi automatic, wood stock. Or Beretta. They made a model with an adjustable stock and cheek rest, very nice, not sure if they still make it.

And it's just a given that she'll get stronger over time using a shotgun. You use muscles in your left arm that you've never really used that way before. You work them, you get stronger. She could practice shouldering the shotgun, with a snap cap, (no 'its not loaded' here). She should work up gradually to shouldering it it 25 times in a row, daily if possible, simulating a round of trap. NO pulling the trigger when practicing. Muzzle must point in a safe direction while practicing.

This should help. And remember to tell her that shotguns are pointed, not aimed.
• Don't have children until you're married five years or at least age 30.
• Put 10% of your salary into savings every month no matter how broke you are.
• Don't ever screw around with the IRS.
• Keep a handgun on your bedside table.
• Don't smart-mouth judges, or cops who stop you on the road.

Last edited by BonnieB; 05-14-2013 at 10:06 AM..
Old 05-14-2013, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonnieB View Post
(Not your fault, but we've explained this about 190 times before. Please search the thread for more info from women who shoot trap. Don't bother to read the ones where men talk about what their wife needs.)

It won't really work to shoot trap/skeet with a tactical shotgun with that short a (18" barrel). And the old guys at the range, who have been shooting trap for 30 years and know what they are doing, will laugh their ashes off at you trying to do that. The point of the longer barrel is to keep the shot pattern contained at a distance.

To fit a gun, she (not you) has to go to a good gun shop that caters to hunters, when they're slow, maybe a Tuesday afternoon. She should shoulder every shotgun they have that has a shortish barrel, til she finds one she likes. (You stay home and mind the kids, let her do her own test driving. I know, guys want to help shop, but test driving like this is just about fit, not the technicals of a gun. You can't help with that).

If length of pull is an issue, get a gun with a wood stock and have a gunsmith measure her and cut the stock to her size. You can't do this effectively with a composite stock, because they're hollow. If the length of pull is right, the gun will almost balance itself in her left hand.

Take a look at a Weatherby SA-08, nice gun, not too expensive, 12 ga, semi automatic, wood stock. Or Beretta. They made a model with an adjustable stock and cheek rest, very nice, not sure if they still make it.

And it's just a given that she'll get stronger over time using a shotgun. You use muscles in your left arm that you've never really used that way before. You work them, you get stronger. She could practice shouldering the shotgun, with a snap cap, (no 'its not loaded' here). She should work up gradually to shouldering it it 25 times in a row, daily if possible, simulating a round of trap. NO pulling the trigger when practicing. Muzzle must point in a safe direction while practicing.

This should help. And remember to tell her that shotguns are pointed, not aimed.
Thanks BonnieB! We did shop around at Cabela's in Reno this past summer and found that the Winchester SX3 fit her the best, but I would much rather see her with a Beretta or Benelli if I'm going to spend over $1k. Otherwise I'd look at a custom built Remi 1100 or something over lesser brands.

I did a general search under Ladies forum for "Shotgun" and yielded minimal results, hence my post here. Plus, forums go stagnant/out of date over time, so you never know by creating a new post, you might generate some new ideas/products.
Old 05-14-2013, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the86d View Post

An HD shotgun with an 18.* barrel would be easier to handle than a long barrel duck-hunter with the added forward weight, but that's all I got...
well, and this: http://compare.ebay.com/like/1110642...Types&var=sbar

As I recall, my H&R Pardner-Pump Defender was only like $234 out the door (5+1).
Not interested in a tactical shotgun or cheap pump, I'd like to get a quality semi-auto she can pass down at some point.
Old 05-14-2013, 10:26 AM

Another good find, anyone have experience?

Winchester SX3 Compact
Old 05-14-2013, 12:16 PM

whatever you get her, put a Limbsaver butt stock pad on it, my wife loves hers
Old 05-14-2013, 12:55 PM

If you put a thick recoil pad on the stock, make sure you count it in, when calculating length of pull.

Recoil shouldn't be a problem if she's holding the shotgun firmly to her shoulder, leans forward and has her feet in the right position.

(It's odd, but if you think the recoil is going to punch you, people tend to hold the stock loosely against their shoulder, to avoid the punch. Which is the exactly wrong thing to do. Snugger is better.
Old 05-14-2013, 1:30 PM

Default Shot Gun For Your Wife!

What did she do wrong!?
Old 05-14-2013, 3:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blur125 View Post
Hi all!

I am looking to buy a shotgun for my wife. She is small (5'1" - 110lbs) with short arms.

She can handle my Remington 870 and brother's Beretta A400 w/kick off stock, but the barrel weight and length of pull make it difficult to keep the barrel up.

I found this shotgun and am interested to see if anyone has experience with it or has any recommendations for a shotgun for her:

Beretta 3901 Target RL 12 - 26"

Basic requirements: Semi-auto 12 Guage 26-28" barrel for Trap/Skeet, women's/youth fit stock

Any recommendations are much appreciated!
This girl that I've been seeing is just slightly larger than your wife (5'4 @ 115) and she has nor problem handling my Benelli M1 Super 90. It's actually her favorite gun now.

Last edited by Souper; 05-14-2013 at 4:55 PM..
Old 05-14-2013, 3:34 PM

My wife has no issues with recoil or handling of a shotgun too big for her. The point is, she needs one for herself that's fit to her so we can spend MORE time shooting together

She hates my ar-15 and glock 19, so if shotgunning is her thing, then you better believe I'm going to get her something nice!!
Old 05-14-2013, 3:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by California Sportsman View Post
What did she do wrong!?
As long as I don't end up on the other side of her shotgun..nothing! lol
Old 05-14-2013, 3:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souper View Post
This girl that I've been porking is just slightly larger than your wife (5'4 @ 115) and she has nor problem handling my Benelli M1 Super 90. It's actually her favorite gun now.
Yea..that's too tactical and no good for clays. Sure, fun at say, Camp Far West..but trap/skeet? Forget about it, you'll get laughed at.
Old 05-14-2013, 3:46 PM

Quote:
Yea..that's too tactical and no good for clays. Sure, fun at say, Camp Far West..but trap/skeet? Forget about it, you'll get laughed at.
She actually did way better at clays with the S90 than my nova with a 28" barrel.

you can have a long barrel too, plus with the short barrel you can have a great 3gun rig.

Old 05-14-2013, 3:49 PM

10 ga should work just fine for her....You'll probably get alot of laughs
Old 05-14-2013, 7:04 PM

Quote:

What this lady says, maybe she can find an auto with a Youth stock to try on for size.. Again have her make a list of what she wants to try and Stay Home...
Old 05-14-2013, 7:15 PM
Cat-in-a Box/NRA Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
.........., but I would much rather see her with a Beretta or Benelli if I'm going to spend over $1k. ..................

its NOT what you'd rather see her with: its what fits her and what she sees herself with! I know you want to make your $ count but you also want her to spend more time with you at the range. so get her the one she wants and enjoy your range time together.
"The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her own pantyhose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound."-- as seen on a t-shirt
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shootist View Post
Just use it for an excuse to keep buying "her" guns till you find the right one...good way to check off your wanted to buy list with the idea of finding her the one she wants of course :D
Old 05-14-2013, 8:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movie zombie View Post

its NOT what you'd rather see her with: its what fits her and what she sees herself with! I know you want to make your $ count but you also want her to spend more time with you at the range. so get her the one she wants and enjoy your range time together.
You know, Elvis once sang Hard Headed Woman and yet I think we have here a Thick Headed Man
Old 05-14-2013, 9:02 PM

" You can lead them to water, but if you can get them to walk on it, you've really got something... "

Old 05-15-2013, 9:42 AM

Red face

hahaha ya'll crack me up..

I'm going to go with her when we shop, she feels way more confident in my opinion than the salesman trying to push some old inventory on her cuz its an easy sale.

Will let you guys know what we end up with, but I was hoping to hear from more ladies or men with wive's experience here.
Old 05-15-2013, 9:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souper View Post
She actually did way better at clays with the S90 than my nova with a 28" barrel.
I'm sure she did considering the spread was probably 2ft wide
Old 05-15-2013, 9:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugguts View Post
You know, Elvis once sang Hard Headed Woman and yet I think we have here a Thick Headed Man
Better Song: Rush - Working Man, cuz money doesn't just magically appear
Old 05-15-2013, 10:07 AM

Blur, we have the same problem, trying to get the input of women to be the majority of posts here. Or men writing for their wives who don't do forums. Or men who are actually knowledgeable and are gentlemen. We're working on it, more or less continually.
Old 05-15-2013, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Blur, we have the same problem, trying to get the input of women to be the majority of posts here. Or men writing for their wives who don't do forums. Or men who are actually knowledgeable and are gentlemen. We're working on it, more or less continually.
Thanks BonnieB
Old 05-15-2013, 10:30 AM

I had the stock on my shotgun fitted for me ( 5'0) and after that, no extra recoil pad was neccessary. When it fits, the barrell length and recoil don't seem to matter anymore because you are shouldering it properly. It did take me a little bit to learn a new sight picture though.
Old 05-15-2013, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristinaGaines View Post
I had the stock on my shotgun fitted for me ( 5'0) and after that, no extra recoil pad was neccessary. When it fits, the barrell length and recoil don't seem to matter anymore because you are shouldering it properly. It did take me a little bit to learn a new sight picture though.
There we go, thanks Christina for your input!!
Old 05-15-2013, 3:37 PM

My husband actually did a lot of pre researching for me for a shotgun before I finally bought one. I knew very little about shotguns, or any guns for that matter and he was more experienced. He researched and I listened and then tried them out for size and weight. I don't have a problem with getting help from him and I actually appreciate the hard work he put into finding a shotgun that he felt would work for me and my size, LOP and experience. There really was a lot of love in the process. My first shotgun was a Beretta 3901 12 gauge automatic. I used that gun and loved it and it made it easy to move up to an over under when I felt ready. I felt confident picking it out and trying it out for size on my own. I have now confidently bought three shotguns on my own without input from my husband.

I understand that the women here feel independent and really is a good thing. But partners are also good at helping, understanding their wives and doing some helpful research and teaching. Heck, we have been married 40 years! If there is no significant other in your life, then a friend or relative can also help you. There is no shame in help. This isn't a man/ woman issue. It is a learning and helping issue. If I knew more about guns, my husband would welcome my help.

I am not sure I understand all the bashing that happens when a husband is just trying to get a little information. People can accept help,without it being a demeaning. All that being said, it is in the end, the buyers decision.

I don't expect everything handed to me. Just set it down anywhere. Unknown

Last edited by savannah; 05-15-2013 at 4:55 PM..
Old 05-15-2013, 3:53 PM

Quote:
hahaha ya'll crack me up..

I'm going to go with her when we shop, she feels way more confident in my opinion than the salesman trying to push some old inventory on her cuz its an easy sale.

Will let you guys know what we end up with, but I was hoping to hear from more ladies or men with wive's experience here.
You do realize that the ladies(myself included) ARE responding to you with excellent advice. Some of the men do the "Pick what YOU want HER to have" and those are not the ones that you need to talk to. As for my situation, my husband took me to the range with the Nazi gun(Ruger, hate it since it looks too much like the Luger) and his XD 40's. We rented me a .380 and I HATED it and then I did my shopping and since I am a pretty forceful, straightforward, don't "little lady" me type of person, he stood back and let me talk and the men and women(our range has both men and women employees) and if some other man stepped in with "Well you aught to make her....." I pretty much emasculated him on the spot. When husbands go in with wives, some shops with speak only to the husband and ignore the wife. That is the point we are making here. What men think women should shoot, is not always what women want or like. It also helped that most of the employees were previous AF guys who flew with my husband and even though they had not met me, they had heard of me and knew that I research everything so bringing me a dusty 2000 model .22 was not going to fly.
Old 05-16-2013, 10:02 AM

Did I mention my wife has her masters in Gender Equity Studies? Believe me, she has a presence in the gun shops. In the end the decision is hers to make, but I also have been shooting a lot longer than she has, so my influence is appreciated, as well as every other person contributing to this thread! Ya'll are the best! Except for that guy pushing tactical shotguns lol
Old 05-16-2013, 10:09 AM
Cat-in-a Box/NRA Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

LOL re the "guy pushing tactical shotguns" comment!
"The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her own pantyhose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound."-- as seen on a t-shirt
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shootist View Post
Just use it for an excuse to keep buying "her" guns till you find the right one...good way to check off your wanted to buy list with the idea of finding her the one she wants of course :D
Old 05-16-2013, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movie zombie View Post
LOL re the "guy pushing tactical shotguns" comment!
haha RIGHT?! I mean come on now...tacticals just have no place shooting trap/skeet unless they swap barrels out, but even then...
Old 05-16-2013, 11:16 AM

I'm not a woman but I've shot trap with my wife for a long time. She started with an 870, not too good. Next was an 1100, okay, but a bother to load. Next we found her an older SKB, light weight and pointed well for her. I had to retire that one because parts were getting to be a problem. I had to replace hammer springs several times and none are available, so I was having them made. Next a BT-99 but couldn't shoot doubles. Lastly, a Perazzi combo which she still has.

All of those guns had to be fitted to her and took considerable modifications. When she got the Perazzi, we finally had a custom stock made.

I've always believed any shotgun can be made to fit, given a good stockmaker/fitter. Finding one is a big problem.

BTW, you didn't ask but it's a good idea to find a good coach...trying to teach her yourself usually doesn't work very well
Old 05-16-2013, 1:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmca View Post
I'm not a woman but I've shot trap with my wife for a long time. She started with an 870, not too good. Next was an 1100, okay, but a bother to load. Next we found her an older SKB, light weight and pointed well for her. I had to retire that one because parts were getting to be a problem. I had to replace hammer springs several times and none are available, so I was having them made. Next a BT-99 but couldn't shoot doubles. Lastly, a Perazzi combo which she still has.

All of those guns had to be fitted to her and took considerable modifications. When she got the Perazzi, we finally had a custom stock made.

I've always believed any shotgun can be made to fit, given a good stockmaker/fitter. Finding one is a big problem.

BTW, you didn't ask but it's a good idea to find a good coach...trying to teach her yourself usually doesn't work very well
Great story and experience! I hope to get her something that's low maintenance. As for a coach, she has zero issue breaking trap, but skeet is another story. Any day at the range with my lady is a good day
Old 05-16-2013, 1:58 PM

Be sure you keep it that way and don't try to teach her yourself, trust me on that one
Old 05-17-2013, 11:02 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmca View Post
Be sure you keep it that way and don't try to teach her yourself, trust me on that one
More less the same as trying to hang wallpaper as a couple

OP, you would do well to listen to the majority of replies here.

My suggestion?

Agree upon a NTE dollar amount, out the door.

Turn your wife loose just a bit. Empower her to do her own shopping. Buy her bunches of bullets. And butt the hell out.

Coming from a guy who tried what you're doing ONCE...just like the time we tried wallpapering together. Swmbo cleans my clock in skeet with a Winchester .410 slide. Gets a meat deer a year with slug (never needed more than one) out of a Beretta Silver Pigeon.

Your wife will surprise you.

-hanko

Life's journey is not to arrive safely in a well preserved body, but rather to slide in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "holy schit...what a ride"!!

Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in. Mark Twain

A man's soul can be judged by the way he treats his dog. Charles Doran
Old 05-18-2013, 7:18 AM

For BonnieB-sorry I haven't posted, I've been running a business and shooting a charity benefit trap event.....Blur-it sounds like you have a great wife! Hopefully she will keep you around especially after she starts to out shoot you ;-)

After shooting shotguns for about four years and wearing out one field gun (shooting at least 200 rounds per week on a field gun), I finally picked what I think is the perfect shotgun for me.....a Browning 725 Sporting with adjustable comb, 32" barrel. I bought a full set of Briley chokes and am happy as a clam. I started shooting trap, moved to skeet and am now hooked on sporting clays.....

My husband was wonderful in encouraging me to demo as many guns as possible before deciding upon my original field gun. In retrospect-it wasn't the right gun for me, but it didn't matter--I chose it. It kept me shooting. The 725 is lighter and I've dialed in the adjustable comb. I love it and love the 32" barrels. It's smooth and has improved my shooting.

So, BonnieB--there are women out there (not as many as men) who would love to shoot with other women. I have posted on this site about sporting clays fun shoots, but no one has responded. Bummer. I will just continue to go my merry way attempted to encourage women to become shotgunners.

Blur-encourage your wife to try sporting clays! There are some amazing women shooting clays and there is tremendous camaraderie among the ladies.

Happy shooting! BTW--Redlands Fun Shoot 5/26!
Old 05-22-2013, 3:25 AM

Good thread... My wife is a few inches taller than yours, and about 15lbs more (i hope she don't read this) and she has her own 12 gauge Mossberg 500 tactical.... The collapsable stock has a thick padding that she appreciates a lot. Furthermore, the pistol grip helps her maneuver the shotgun much easier as well. It is not too pricey, and not cheap, it is a good balance of good quality and a decent price. The ability for her to take the revoir is just gonna have to come with practice, and the type of shell you use...start her off with some low brass bird shots, and also let her feel a good high brass slug shot, so she knows the difference. If all else fails....just get a different gauge size.
Old 05-22-2013, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vflores915 View Post
Good thread... My wife is a few inches taller than yours, and about 15lbs more (i hope she don't read this) and she has her own 12 gauge Mossberg 500 tactical.... The collapsable stock has a thick padding that she appreciates a lot. Furthermore, the pistol grip helps her maneuver the shotgun much easier as well. It is not too pricey, and not cheap, it is a good balance of good quality and a decent price. The ability for her to take the revoir is just gonna have to come with practice, and the type of shell you use...start her off with some low brass bird shots, and also let her feel a good high brass slug shot, so she knows the difference. If all else fails....just get a different gauge size.
You take your wife out trap/skeet shooting with a tactical shotgun?

Am I missing something here?! This thread has nothing to do with buying tactical shotguns for wives. That should be in a self-defense forum or something...
Old 05-22-2013, 1:09 PM

Quote:
You take your wife out trap/skeet shooting with a tactical shotgun?

Am I missing something here?! This thread has nothing to do with buying tactical shotguns for wives. That should be in a self-defense forum or something...
Just saying that Mossberg makes good shotguns....and that some stocks come with good padding, or you can get some aftermarket ones... The big brand names are not always the greatest thing to get, it all depends on your needs.

You didn't have to get all defensive
Old 05-22-2013, 2:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vflores915 View Post
Just saying that Mossberg makes good shotguns....and that some stocks come with good padding, or you can get some aftermarket ones... The big brand names are not always the greatest thing to get, it all depends on your needs.

You didn't have to get all defensive
Sorry to have sounded defensive, but you're the third person to recommend a tactical shotgun for trap/skeet shooting and that's not what this thread was intended for.