Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Survival and Preparations
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Survival and Preparations Long and short term survival and 'prepping'.

Old 04-07-2013, 10:47 AM

Here are a two of my trauma bags, the larger is about equal to the one on my Engine, including a jumbo D o2 tank and BLS airway adjunks and the smaller is all trauma bandages with a few MCI tags.

Old 04-07-2013, 12:05 PM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by noctambulant89 View Post
A lot of great kits here, I personally choose to keep mine rather small as its my regular outdoors kit for hiking, there are other first aid supplies at my house but for those with more in depth kits are these part of your EDC? BOB? Or home exclusive? I'm interested on personal input as to where and why it is carried or stashed. Thanks
Home for mine; sometimes comes for a ride. (I have smaller subsets.) Weighs 12 lb.

Part of CERT training and intent - I plan to have the pre-hospital treatable injury franchise in my couple block neighborhood.

Frozen in 2015, it is falling out of date and I can no longer edit the content. But much of it is still good!
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane."

- Marcus Aurelius
Ann Althouse: “Begin with the hypothesis that what they did is what they wanted to do. If they postured that they wanted to do something else, regard that as a con. Work from there. The world will make much more sense.”

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Old 04-07-2013, 12:40 PM

My hiking kits stay in there respective bags. I have started doubling up some smaller stuff so my GHB/day hike bag can stay ready to go. My event kit will stay in my trunk as I mostly have my car where ever I am.

As to why see my post with the pictures in page one.
Old 04-07-2013, 5:19 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
A lot of great kits here, I personally choose to keep mine rather small as its my regular outdoors kit for hiking, there are other first aid supplies at my house but for those with more in depth kits are these part of your EDC? BOB? Or home exclusive? I'm interested on personal input as to where and why it is carried or stashed. Thanks
My pics that I posted are of my smaller handheld kit that stays in my EDC. The larger adventure medical kit is in my BoB and weighs considerably more.
As a note, I've added to my EDC kit since the pic was taken, I've added things like extra gauze and self-adhesive wraps.

I am planning on making my home kit which is what the Blackhawk STOMP is for. That can also get thrown in the car during an INCH situation (house burning down, etc). I haven't started buying extra supplies for it yet. It should be here tomorrow (just ordered it last week) so that will light a fire under me to start stocking it.

My goal is to have all of my kits be somewhat redundant for small injuries/trauma but as the kits get bigger, they can handle more things. My medical training is limited so I don't carry anything I don't know how to use.
I plan on expanding my knowledge through further classes/education but that gets done as the opportunities present themselves.

My CERT class really opened my eyes to a lot. I learned a ton in the full day of medical training but mostly what I learned is that I don't know jack sh#$ about medical stuff.
WTB: multiautomatic ghost gun with a .30-caliber clip to disperse with 30 bullets within half a second. Must include shoulder thing that goes up. Memberships/Affiliations: CERT, ARRL ARES, NRA Patron Member, HRC, CGN/CGSSA, Cal-FFL
Old 04-07-2013, 5:48 PM

Quote:
I keep 1st aid supplies in my EDC, BOB, INCH & I keep two separate 1st aid kits for long term. I'm no doctor but I have had formal training on many things in my bags.
Old 04-08-2013, 6:07 PM

tag for later
Old 04-08-2013, 6:32 PM

This....plus a number of additions to better suit me for the area I live in and where I would bug out to.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Complete-F...=first+aid+kit
Old 04-12-2013, 12:10 PM

In my years as a PJ and now whenever I go sling some lead I have carried the same set up, Here it Goes:

2 SOFT-T Tourniquets (2 is 1, 1 is none)
1 Quickclot Granual
1 Combat Gauze
2 rolls Kyrlex
1 NPA
1 6" Israeli Bandage
2 Dart Decomp Needle
2 Bolin Chest Seals
2 Occlusive Dressing
1 Ace Wrap
1 Medical Tape
1 MIST report card
1 Black Sharpie
1 White Paint Pen
2 Safety Pins
1 Medical Shears
1 Benchmade Rescue Hook
All housed in an ITS Blow Out Pouch.
I always try one tourniquet center mounted so I can reach it from either arm, and one on my rifle. Stay Safe All.
Old 04-12-2013, 10:11 PM

What's a MIST Report Card?
Just finished recently watch "Inside Combat Rescue" on NatGeo about the PJs serving in Afghanistan. Awesome!! You guys kick ***!! Thanks for your service..I'm sure the many people you've helped save say the same thing.
Old 04-13-2013, 1:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madland View Post
What's a MIST Report Card?
Just finished recently watch "Inside Combat Rescue" on NatGeo about the PJs serving in Afghanistan. Awesome!! You guys kick ***!! Thanks for your service..I'm sure the many people you've helped save say the same thing.
my guess would be a casualty info card like this

you marked down basic info, mechanism of injury, treatment, time and action for doctors.
Old 04-13-2013, 6:51 AM

M - mechanism of injury
I - injuries received
S - signs & symptoms
T - treatment already received

The report card follows the patient to the hospital so docs can treat appropriately.

Many EMS folks know about the cards, but only use them in multi or mass casualty incidents where they may not follow a patient to the hospital themselves.
Old 04-19-2013, 10:17 PM

10 years being a navy corpsman I've learned that we are able to accomplish things with less. This is what I carry in my car. Basically focuses on mostly hemorrhage control and other life threatening injuries.

Circulation:
3 kerlix rolls
1 small battle dressing
1 Israeli bandage
A couple of CAT Tourniquets
Improvised tourniquet
2 Ace bandages
Triangular bandages

Airway/breathing:
An ET tube for crich
Aschermen chest seal
Tegaderm as an occlusive drsg
18g IV cath for needle decomp
Nasopharyngeal

Misc:
Nonin (pulseOx)
Trauma shears
Stethoscope
Ammonia inhalants
Steristrips w/benzoine
Headlamp/penlight
PPE
Strapcutter/window breaker
SAMS splint
ENT kit
Old 04-21-2013, 6:23 PM
I need a LIFE!!

http://countycomm.com/premshearglow.html

gotta have these after I lost a pair in the dark once
Old 04-22-2013, 3:52 PM

Just starting out. So far I have basic first aid.

coban
kerlix
bandaids
antibiotic oitment
4x4s

I have 2 "big" bags of sodium chloride (IV solution)
2 IV tubing kits
hand full of IV catheters 18 gauge - 22 gauge
2x 50mg diphenhydramine
2 IM injections

Still working on more.
Old 04-22-2013, 3:57 PM
Calguns Addict

All of the normal stuff and:

Antibiotics (2-3 10 day courses of broad spectrum abx)
Quick clot (powder + sponge)
Sterile suture kit
Lidocaine (probably expired by now)
Sterile gloves
Safety CPR respirator (sorry, not french kissin anyone, even if they dying)
Medical Glue stick
Benadryl
Israeli bandages (abdominal + leg sizes)

all of the above is in a BOB in car, wifes car, house.

1A-2A = -1A

Last edited by Packy14; 04-22-2013 at 4:00 PM..
Old 04-22-2013, 7:55 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenshinoro2007 View Post
All of the normal stuff and:
Sterile gloves
What do you plan to do with these?

I don't object - I have some, too, but left over from nursing school where I needed them for labs. (Size 10 or 11 sterile gloves are uncommon; took forever to find big ones on line.)

It's just that field treatment usually involves dirty wounds, without a lot of capability to really clean them out, and 'clean' gloves are usually just as good.

(And I won't remember my lab instructor griping 'augh! you touched the paper! Sterility is compromised! New gloves!' )

Frozen in 2015, it is falling out of date and I can no longer edit the content. But much of it is still good!
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane."

- Marcus Aurelius
Ann Althouse: “Begin with the hypothesis that what they did is what they wanted to do. If they postured that they wanted to do something else, regard that as a con. Work from there. The world will make much more sense.”

Old 04-22-2013, 8:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarian View Post
... Size 10 or 11 sterile gloves are uncommon; took forever to find big ones on line ...
Size 10 or 11???? Jeez. I have trouble finding 8.5's in house. You've got some paws on ya!

Size 14+ shoe?
Old 04-22-2013, 9:29 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime

A part of my BOB: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

No affiliate or $ benefit here. Just a great kit.

Take an EMT course or hook up with an ARMY medic or USMC corpsman (even better) to show you the ropes.

Last edited by HPBrowningMK3; 04-22-2013 at 9:31 PM.. Reason: added info
Old 04-22-2013, 9:30 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

A Glock 27 and a band aid.
Old 04-22-2013, 9:38 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Superglue and duct tape.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

The Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms. -- Samuel Adams, Debates and Proceedings in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 86-87 (Pearce and Hale, eds., Boston, 1850)
Old 04-22-2013, 10:31 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by diveRN View Post
Size 10 or 11???? Jeez. I have trouble finding 8.5's in house. You've got some paws on ya!

Size 14+ shoe?
Not so big.

I can't get 8s on at all; 9s always break; I think that's a latex thing, because nitrile of the same size is already 'expanded' and doesn't rely on being stretchy. Latex 10s are OK, but they take near forever to put on properly. 11s - ah, like comfy shoes!

Depending on brand, I usually wear XL in nitrile clean gloves. A lot of Ls also work, but can be a bit tight, and sometimes tear going on.

Imagine my great joy at seeing the kits for Foleys ... OTOH, my Asian classmates often found those a bit too big. A couple surgeons I watched wore/wear 7s - there's some real benefit to having small, nimble hands when galumphing through a small incision.

- Marcus Aurelius

Old 04-24-2013, 7:15 AM

I added a hemostat, because blleeding out from an artery doesn't sound fun, and I 'd rather try to sew it back together. Probably need another though...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falstaff View Post
Where is this ammo "Black market" he speaks of? Do they have .223 in stock?
My Home-Made Recurve Bow Thread

Own An 80%? CLICK HERE!

Kevin de Leon, on minority women and profiling.
Old 04-24-2013, 11:42 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
What do you plan to do with these?

I don't object - I have some, too, but left over from nursing school where I needed them for labs. (Size 10 or 11 sterile gloves are uncommon; took forever to find big ones on line.)

It's just that field treatment usually involves dirty wounds, without a lot of capability to really clean them out, and 'clean' gloves are usually just as good.

(And I won't remember my lab instructor griping 'augh! you touched the paper! Sterility is compromised! New gloves!' )
I know how to do surgery and the nitrile steriles are much thicker and more tactile when doing suturing. If I want to explore a wound I rather not have bone or other things cut my glove/hand and I'd rather not introduce more infectious agents into the wound (its already dirty, but thus the antibiotics). That said, you don't need them, but I have them so why not.

1A-2A = -1A
Old 04-24-2013, 11:47 AM
Calguns Addict

The key is to not have anything in your kit that you don't know how to use, because it won't really be helpful. Also a word of caution, don't use Quik clot unless its really a life/death situation, as it can cause serious burns and can also send embolus (especially the powder version) ... it really is a last resort solution (Celox is actually better, and I will change to that when my quik-clot expires). That said I keep a pack and an israeli in my shooting bag too.

1A-2A = -1A
Old 04-24-2013, 12:19 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Also a word of caution, don't use Quik clot unless its really a life/death situation, as it can cause serious burns and can also send embolus (especially the powder version) ... it really is a last resort solution
That's not the case with the current formula.

The Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms. -- Samuel Adams, Debates and Proceedings in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 86-87 (Pearce and Hale, eds., Boston, 1850)
Old 04-24-2013, 1:43 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDay View Post
That's not the case with the current formula.

The burning is reduced but still present. The risk of Embolus is real and ever-present. Check your facts. Celox is less thermogenic, but can still cause clots. Even the gauze versions can propagate clots.

1A-2A = -1A
Old 04-26-2013, 3:34 PM

here is my home kit/kits, pretty much what everyone else has listed and then some. You can have all the kit in the world just make sure you get the training. Myself, US Army CLS, EMT-1, DMT (Diving Medical Tech) and TCCC. Work primarily as a DMT. And for all you EMT trained guys out there, if you want to learn some serious skill set, way beyond Paramedic, take a DMT course. Pre-req is EMT, you don't need to be a diver but it helps.
Old 04-26-2013, 3:38 PM

Quote:
The burning is reduced but still present. The risk of Embolus is real and ever-present. Check your facts. Celox is less thermogenic, but can still cause clots. Even the gauze versions can propagate clots.
Quick Clot and Celox are Pre-hospital care, post SHTF, it will be useless. But you are correct Celox is a much better product
Old 04-26-2013, 3:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xgi1991 View Post
... And for all you EMT trained guys out there, if you want to learn some serious skill set, way beyond Paramedic, take a DMT course. Pre-req is EMT, you don't need to be a diver but it helps.
+1. One of the best classes I ever took.
Old 04-26-2013, 7:40 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by xgi1991 View Post
Quick Clot and Celox are Pre-hospital care, post SHTF, it will be useless. But you are correct Celox is a much better product
This thread said first aid, not shtf. Any GSW post shtf is a bad bad day.

1A-2A = -1A
Old 04-26-2013, 8:32 PM

As an 18 year trauma ICU nurse, I'd say a portable electrocauterizer (size of a long penlight) is glaringly lacking in these lists of otherwise extensive kits. Good way to deal with those pesky bloody oozers in your gashes, venous or arterial. Of course, there's the assessment, experience, and split second decisions in isolating the problems and dealing with it. Not always easy to do when the situation is live and in your face!
Old 04-26-2013, 11:50 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by trg-s338 View Post
As an 18 year trauma ICU nurse, I'd say a portable electrocauterizer (size of a long penlight) is glaringly lacking in these lists of otherwise extensive kits. Good way to deal with those pesky bloody oozers in your gashes, venous or arterial. Of course, there's the assessment, experience, and split second decisions in isolating the problems and dealing with it. Not always easy to do when the situation is live and in your face!
Good idea if you know how to use it

1A-2A = -1A

Last edited by Packy14; 04-27-2013 at 8:12 AM..
Old 04-27-2013, 1:38 AM

I carry one on my vest at work (law enforcement). I carry a tourniquet, quikclot advanced clotting spunge, quikclot, gauze, nazel pharengeal tube, 2 tampons and a pressure dressing.
Old 04-27-2013, 10:51 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trg-s338 View Post
And what are the odds of a regular person able to buy one of these and receive the proper training to use one? Personally if I don't know how to do it, I ain't gonna do it.

"If you lead your life the right way, the karma will take care of itself. The dreams will come to you." - Randy Paush, Carnegie Mellon University
Old 04-27-2013, 11:42 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky-Ray View Post
And what are the odds of a regular person able to buy one of these and receive the proper training to use one? Personally if I don't know how to do it, I ain't gonna do it.
The buying looks easy - http://www.orsupply.com/medical/cate...y-Supplies/487 - looks like under $100 would do it. I don't believe they're restricted.

But the training is another issue. Seems to be part of a surgical technician's training (e.g. https://www.trocaire.edu/my/registra...e-descriptions) but I don't see a lot.

- Marcus Aurelius

Old 04-30-2013, 9:55 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
The buying looks easy - http://www.orsupply.com/medical/cate...y-Supplies/487 - looks like under $100 would do it. I don't believe they're restricted.

But the training is another issue. Seems to be part of a surgical technician's training (e.g. https://www.trocaire.edu/my/registra...e-descriptions) but I don't see a lot.
I've never seen an ICU nurse use cautery, and I've done my time in many ICU's. That is beyond the scope of an ICU nurse, it is a surgical instrument. I would not recommend use by anyone not trained with its proper use. It is also inadequate for stopping large arterial bleeds.

1A-2A = -1A
Old 04-30-2013, 10:53 PM

I better get my kit together lol
Norman Thomas - "The American people will never knowingly adopt Socialism. But under the name of "liberalism" they will adopt every fragment of the socialist program, until one day America will be a Socialist nation, without knowing what happened.
Winston Churchill -We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle. - If you have ten thousand regulations, you destroy all respect for the law. "
Old 05-02-2013, 7:12 AM

Quote:
Note I am a licensed CA RN. (ETA - that's to note the correct admonition, "don't just have stuff, get training to use it" applies to me, too; I spent a couple years full time getting the training. And I'm looking for refreshers.)
Question? Which brand of butterfly bandage do you recommend?
Old 05-02-2013, 7:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueCrash View Post
this is the kit i'm puting together right now.

1 of SOF Tactical Tourniquet
1 of Israeli Battle Dressing Bandage 12" Abdominal Trauma
2 of Israeli Bandage Battle Dressing Compression Bandage
1 of Israeli Emergency Bandage - 6" Slider
2 of S-Rolled Gauze - 4.5" x 4.1yds
2 of Z-Pak Dressing
1 of CELOX Hemostatic - 15 gram
2 of QuikClot Sport 50g ( 2nd gen non burning)
6 of Tincture of Benzoin Ampules
30 of Povidone Iodine Swabs Ampules
1 of ADC ADSAFE Pocket Rescusitator
1 of Tension Pneumothorax Decompression Needle, 3.25
1 of Asherman Chest Seal
1 of HALO Seals
1 of Scalpel, #11
1 of Irrigation Syringe, 60cc
1 of Survival Blanket
1 of Water Jel Burn Dressing - 2"x6"
1 of Water Jel Burn Dressing - 4"x4
1 of Disposable Penlight
1 of Nasopharyngeal Airway, 30Fr and 34Fr
1 of Uncle Bill's Tweezers
10 of Ammonia Inhalant
1 of EMT EMS Surgical Skin Stapler
30 of 3M Steri-Strip reinforced Skin Closures - 1/2" x 4"
10 of Nitrile Gloves
1 of Surgical Scissors, 4.5" Sterile
1 of EMT Shears - 7.25
2 of 12oz SALINE SOLUTION
1 of saline Wound Wash spray 7oz
1 of 4oz eye wash with eye cup

and dedicated basic fir aid pack of band aids, pain meds, wipes and so on.
also thinking about getting Lactated Ringers INJ. USP IV fluid with IV starter kit in case we have someone who KNOWs how to do it for massive blood loss and saline IV with foley catheters to infuse via rectal infusion and Oral Rehydration Salts for dehydration.
any suggestion to add would be appreciated.
What no SAM emergency splints??

It's good to see you also have the Israeli Battle Dressings and Quick Clot. I always wonder why I bought mine.

I'm not an EMT just a bit of a Boy Scout.
Old 05-02-2013, 7:34 AM

Take the leap and assume all FA kits are not similarly purposed. Some are six-sigma lightweights for cuts and scrapes that require instant resupply. Other kits are meant to withstand more than one event. All so far are premised on quick evacuation to an equipped medical facility. None show the depth of supply needed to treat a village's worth of ailments over an extended period of time, nor should they do so here.