Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Young Calgunners
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Young Calgunners This forum is for our younger members, the sons and daughters of Calgunners, younger guests and their parents.

Old 08-26-2009, 3:10 AM

Default 16-y-o using range rental gun?

Hi there! I'm new to CA, planning to get a handgun but haven't convinced the wife yet. %-)

My 16-y-o daughter is interested in getting into it, too. I was thinking of taking her to the local indoor range so we could rent a Glock and I could get her started.

Does anyone know what the rules are here on a minor using a range rental gun? I'm guessing it's OK if she's constantly under my direct supervision, but I figured I'd better double-check with others who might have more experience.

Thanks!
Old 08-26-2009, 4:31 AM
Calguns Addict

She is fine to shoot as long as she is accompanied by a parent or legal guardian. That is the policy at most indoor ranges that rent guns, and it is our policy at Bullseye.

Call the range you are interested in taking her to and find out the details before driving over.
My gut is good for two things, making poo and spotting crazy
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwiese View Post
Do not get your legal advice from Forest Rangers or Sheriffs: that's like getting medical advice from your plumber.
Old 08-27-2009, 12:09 PM
Calguns Addict

ask the range? range makes the rules.. hehe
Old 08-28-2009, 12:56 PM

I ran into this issue recently at a range. If the shooter is too young to buy a gun (i.e. not yet 21), it's likely they won't allow the rental except with the parent present (who will take responsibility). However, I suspect that's a range-by-range requirement. As others have said, best check with the range(s) you're looking at going to for their policies.

Disclaimer: The poster is not responsible for any damage to the reader's keyboard, monitor, or dignity as a result of this post's comments.
"I am a sinner that does not expect forgiveness. But I am not a government official." Francis Wolcott (Deadwood)
Old 09-07-2009, 5:01 AM
Calguns Addict

As long as a adult is present, then it's not an issue at my local ranges. Welcome to Calguns and congrats on getting your two ladies into the game.
Old 09-07-2009, 6:11 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Drop me a PM. Maybe we could work out a time to meet at a nice outdoor range like Angeles and you and your daughter could shoot some of my weapons for free. Well, you might need to provide some ammo. Yes, I have a POS Glock but, I've got nicer firearms too. Also, I prefer starting ANYONE out with longguns since they are easier to shoot and a bit harder to violate the 180 rule with. I'm thinking .22lrs rifles and handguns to learn on!