Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Technology and Internet
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Technology and Internet Emerging and current tech related issues. Internet, DRM, IP, and other technology related discussions.

Old 06-30-2018, 11:31 AM
Calguns Addict

Default Padavan router firmware

Who uses it here? I updated to a Netgear orbi. I wasn't to use the old Asus rt-n56u as in wireless mode rather than paying someone to run Ethernet to another room. (Don't want to do the job myself as I'm too fat for one area between ground in crawlspace and beam. Lol)

They have many different ones - base, dlna, nanao, Aria etc. I figure there are different packages with different features? I didn't see a full version in latest version. I can't tell fullytthe difference s andy google-fu seemed week last night as no site says differences meaning between the version names.

I want to try padavan because stock Asus code says must use wep. I use wpa even back then using Asus and my Netgear.
Old 07-02-2018, 10:41 AM
Calguns Addict

Not this flavor, and not in a long time.

I've used dd-WRT on old Linksys devices, and some thing BSD based on old watchguards.

I gave the last Linksys WRT54g device I did this on to a co-worker. He was able to run fine with it on Timewarner, as their pipe couldn't do over 10mbps anyway... ... ...
He used it for a few years until he moved out of the state.
Old 07-04-2018, 7:45 AM
Calguns Addict

yeah.. thanks the86d.. the last 3rd party firmware i used was actually dd-wrt, on the old linksys wrt routers. can't remember the exact model and those firmwares were awesome.

alas for this router - asus rt-n56u - only padavan and another flavor are available. i was just going to make use of it as another access point in a wireless bridge config. have something in the garage kinda thing. will keep researching then.
Old 07-04-2018, 10:41 AM
Calguns Addict

well, i installed the base. i finally found the page where it oulines all of what is in each version - aria, dlna, base, trmd. asus didn't use those terms and there's no explanation on difference. i figure dlna would have the dlna services / media.

install was easy and man, the firmware is actually faster than asus'. wish i would've installed a long time ago. took me a while reading on mobile phone conencted to home wifi while i hardwired the rt-n56u to my laptop while i configured it. latest padavan version automatically disables all dhcp, nat, etc when put in ap only mode. rest was a little back and forth and multiple resets since sometimes i can't get back into the router.

so my setup is:

speeds are pretty down though compared to hardwired to router. i don't believe i put it as a wireless bridge + repeater (i configured both 2.4 and 5ghz the same so no repeater). oh well.. at least it works rather than wiring again to garage or even the other room. (SO's machine has wifi disabled from her work.. hardwire only).

PING ms
DOWNLOAD Mbps
UPLOAD Mbps
Old 07-05-2018, 4:22 AM
Calguns Addict

Maybe a better option, was ~$28:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1399772

New eBay for the newer version (F5D4077) ~$40.39:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Belkin-F5D4...r/273336683340
Old 07-05-2018, 8:45 PM
Calguns Addict

true, though this was no cost (old router being re-used). I did managed to tinker some more and managed to use 2.4ghz as wireless bridge and the 5ghz as the repeater.

i moved to an orbi with 2 satellites about 3 months ago. had this lying around and was planning to extend the wifi. i did have to use one of the satellites in other room for SO's pc since she doesn't have admin option and wifi is disabled. can only use ethernet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the86d View Post
Maybe a better option, was ~$28:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1399772

New eBay for the newer version (F5D4077) ~$40.39:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Belkin-F5D4...r/273336683340
Old 07-05-2018, 8:50 PM

I ran a single cat5 to the far end of the folks house and used DD-WRT to make an old router into a wireless AP/switch. Works like a champ. Get a Linksys WRT-1200/1900/3200 router, and flash it.
Old 07-05-2018, 8:54 PM
Veteran Member

LOL just drill holes or find someone to do it for you on the cheap to run the wires. It would drive me nuts getting those speeds and wasting time. hell i'd just tell my son to go do it for me if my crawl space was small haha

"A bullet sounds the same in every language..."
Stewie Griffin (Family Guy Episode: Stewie Griffin: The Untold Story 2005)