Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > FFL's Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

FFL's Forum For open discussion between FFLs and polite questions for FFLs.

Old 07-05-2018, 7:50 PM

Default One FFL for Online/Retail?

So I know that you can use a single FFL for online and retail sales, but what if the online store is set up under one LLC and the retail store is set up under a separate LLC? To give some background...

Right now I'm about to launch an online store that caters to a really niche market within silencer/NFA industry. As the store is set up right now I don't need an FFL because I'm not dealing any serialized items. I've set it all up under an LLC.

A good friend of mine runs a small FFL that strictly does retail sales (both of us used to manage a large FFL together). We were talking the other night and I expressed my desire to someday get an FFL for my store. We got wondering if it was possible for me to use his FFL (licensed under his LLC) for my online store. I know about trade names on an FFL, but everything I've read talks about it being under the same ownership.

Has anyone ever done something like this? Is it possible to become a responsible person on his FFL and use it while operating my separate LLC? We would obviously have to add a trade name to the FFL. I just don't want to call up the local IOI and get weird looks
Old 07-06-2018, 4:43 AM

First, two entities, two FFLs. Second, you can sell online under his FFL, though he's the one responsible for the license. Your lawyers and accountants can tell you more.

Why wouldn't you get your own license?

Jeff

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Old 07-06-2018, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weaselfire View Post

Why wouldn't you get your own license?
I wish it was that easy! Personally I would prefer to have my own FFL. While home FFL's are allowed where I live, my lease doesn't allow me to run an FFL out of my residence. While I could get an office space to run it out of, it just doesn't make logistical sense right now.
Old 07-06-2018, 1:56 PM
Vendor/Retailer
CGN Contributor

No. Only business/activity can be done at the address listed on the license with exception of gun shows. If you are in the business of selling firearms the location where your state and local licenses are listed is where your FFL can do business. You are not doing business in fiber optic lines just because you have an online shop.

You cannot have 2 LLCs on 1 FFL. It is 1 sole prop, 1 partnership, 1 llc, or 1 inc.

You can only have 1 EIN for your FFL so 1 SOT.

Still, does not hurt to ask ATF. They are just a phone call away.

01FFL/03SOT AND 07FFL/02SOT
PHOENIX, AZ MIDDLEMAN TRANSFER DEALER SINCE 2010
10 ROUND MAGAZINE CONVERSION SERVICE
CA COMPLIANCE SERVICE
MACHINE GUN AND PRIVATE RANGE RENTALS

MY CALGUNS COMMERCIAL SALES SUBFORUM
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/f...play.php?f=376