Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Ladies Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ladies Forum A place for our female Calgunners to discuss, share and interact without the 'excess attention' sometimes found in online forums.

Old 08-28-2009, 8:50 PM
I need a LIFE!!

sig p239 in 9mm would be sweet, or a vintage p225 in 9mm; either or as far as grip. do your research as varying needs will dictate one or the other, ie. for higher pressure loads you'll want the p239 etc. DO your homework, then test drive at a shooting range with a rental; the proof is in the puddin....
Old 08-28-2009, 8:53 PM
Former cabinetguy
CGN Contributor

I din't know if anyone mentioned the P99, but mine came with 3 grips, for s, m and l the m works fine for me. and it is a very nice pistol

Can’t somebody do something?!?!?!?!
Old 08-28-2009, 9:29 PM

Glock 19. I've had one since the 1980s and it's a good fit for a smaller hand. I also have a Glock 23 (same frame, but .40 cal). You either love or hate Glock, but I think it's an excellent 9mm in its price range.

I also love Sigs, but they are pricier and a little thicker in the grip. If you go the Sig route, I recommend aftermarket Hogue grips. It gives them a better feel.

(A sword is never a killer; it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
- Lucius Annaeus Seneca, 45 AD
Old 09-01-2009, 2:17 PM

I would suggest that you stay away from the poly framed weapons. Try a 9mm 1911, a hi power, the CZ 75, or the SW 6900 in this order. If nothing else it'll be fun trying the toys
Old 09-01-2009, 6:10 PM
Cat-in-a Box/NRA Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

i agree re the poly framed weapons....in any calibre.

mz
"The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her own pantyhose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound."-- as seen on a t-shirt
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shootist View Post
Just use it for an excuse to keep buying "her" guns till you find the right one...good way to check off your wanted to buy list with the idea of finding her the one she wants of course :D
Old 09-04-2009, 9:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movie zombie View Post
let us know how it goes, please!

personally, i woudn't let price stop me from getting what i wanted. i might wait and save a bit more but i'd get what i wanted.

mz
I shot the Ruger 9mm last night. No jams at all. Used
a hotter rounds in it. Go figure. So maybe a little
more time with the Ruger and we can "bond".
Old 10-22-2009, 6:47 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombadillo View Post
With all the problems walther has lately, i'd pick a $400 bersa thunder .380 over that for the price. She may even like it.
I bought my Bersa Thunder .380 for under $300. Turners had a sale on it.
I have only put a few hundred rounds through it. So far, I am very impressed. Yeah, I know, the .380 is a lousy Caliber. I am convinced the Cor-Bon DPX is the answer.
The recoil was so light that both my son and I were shooting 'Off Hand' and still hitting the black. I am 5'10" and 195#. For my size, I have small hands. The Bersa feels great.
A friend of mine had a Walther PPK/s that gave him nothing but grief. He finally sold it. He is convinced the Bersa has a better trigger and feeds better than his Walther for 1/2 the price. I compared the Bersa trigger to one of the tiny S&W .38 alloy frames. The S&W was well over $450. I liked the Bersa a lot better.
The Bersa is also just fun too shoot. Reminds me of my first .22 Revolver in 'fun factor'.
Just my .02.
Old 10-23-2009, 6:30 PM
Veteran Member

Just curious ... What does everybody mean by women's "small" hands?

Like glove size 6 or 7?

"Let those find fault whose wit's so very small,
They've need to show that they can think at all;
Errors, like straws, upon the surface flow;
He who would search for pearls, must dive below." -- John Dryden
Old 10-24-2009, 9:11 PM

SOOOOO, I think all of these suggestions are moot until you go to some ranges that have some possibilities, and just test them out. Some guns can't be rented (for whatever reason, but CZ is notoriously hard to find to RENT), so you may have to depend on the kindness of others to test out some pieces that you're interested in buying.

I have a hard time buying anything that I haven't already shot for the simple reason that you just never know if YOU like the feel of something. There have been some pieces that have been highly recommended by others, and I just didn't like the feel of (like the HK P2000).

Hope that helps.
Old 11-02-2009, 7:48 PM
Calguns Addict

I concur with pullnshoot. Can't go wrong with a Browning Highpower.

I also have small hands and I have little stubby fingers. That kind of gets you to the same place.

I think your best route would be to start shooting rentals and borrowed guns till you find something you like.

I love Sigs too but I can’t afford them. The reason, among others, is that they have nice triggers. Most of the modern crop of polymer pistols have crappy triggers.

A friend just bought a Springfield XD Sub-Compact for his daughter, she loves it. It has reasonably small grips and the best out-of-the-box trigger I have ever felt on a plastic gun other than a Sig. They sell for half the price of a Sig.

I like the Highpower and they have a fairly good factory trigger.
The steel grip frame has more mass and thus more inertia. You don’t have to “help” it as much to stay put so it can cycle.

From your description of all you tried to make the Ruger work I doubt you are “limp wristing” it. I think the thing is just too big for you to get a good grip on. Someone advised you to hold it like an egg, just hard enough to not break it. Uh, an egg doesn’t go off and kill somebody when it hits the floor. I realize most modern handguns that are functioning properly aren’t supposed to either, I’m just sayin’.

P. S. I have noticed the Khar-9 came up a couple times. I bought one once, new. It turned out to be such a pile of junk I gave it away because I was ashamed to sell it. Reliability and accuracy were just totally unacceptable. Don't believe everything you read in the gun press. I'm not trying to pic any fights, I just think I would want someone to tell me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezertchick View Post
My husband bought a Ruger P95 and I can't shoot the darn thing.
My hands are very small and the grip is so big I can't get
a good grip on it (even with both hands) It jams everytime
I shoot it. He can unload the magazine and no jams! I even
look at the gun and it jams on me. It's very annoying.

I have never had this problem with any of my guns!
Just this Ruger P95.

My question is anyone have any advice on a 9mm with
a smaller grip I can buy for myself.

Thanks!
To keep it you must give it

"I will talk with you no more.
I will go now, and fight you."
(Red Cloud)

Last edited by Meplat; 11-02-2009 at 8:29 PM..
Old 11-02-2009, 7:59 PM
Calguns Addict

I think you may be confusing the terms. The hammer stays back on a single action. Double action only triggers suck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckystrike View Post
no make sure they are double action, where the hammer stays back because the reach for the trigger pull you wont like. glock 19 is a good pistol tho

(Red Cloud)
Old 11-02-2009, 8:16 PM
Calguns Addict

You can do the same thing by adjusting the resistance of the recoil spring but I would no do it because even with the lighter loads it will then batter the gun when hubby shoots it. Besides I think it would be great for you to tell everyone that the hot stuff is for you and he shoots the wimp loads!

Quote:
I shot the Ruger 9mm last night. No jams at all. Used
a hotter rounds in it. Go figure. So maybe a little
more time with the Ruger and we can "bond".

(Red Cloud)
Old 11-05-2009, 7:18 PM

seen a lot of mp9 recomendations here. the m&p actually has a rather thick grip. more like a glock. a smith sw99 has the same changable backstrap and is thinner in the grip. although finding a new one might be a little difficult here. also try the ruger sr9. it has a thinner grip too. and both these guns should be under $500. oh and the fnp. it comes with 3 mags too so thats a bonus. but i will say that finding a gun that performs as well as the ruger you got for around the same price will be quite difficult.
Old 11-05-2009, 7:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by precisionshooter308 View Post
I would suggest that you stay away from the poly framed weapons. Try a 9mm 1911, a hi power, the CZ 75, or the SW 6900 in this order. If nothing else it'll be fun trying the toys
its kind of ironic that you are recommending some one to stay away from a poly framed weapon. but your avatar is a glock. what exactly is the problem with apparently all poly framed guns?
Old 11-05-2009, 7:57 PM

http://www.springfield-armory.com/armory.php?model=24

WTB: Stoeger Condor Competition Combo (I'll trade 1911's or other handguns)
Old 11-07-2009, 5:08 PM
Calguns Addict

The frame needs to be wider for rigidity and the frame has less reaction mass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by for2nato View Post
its kind of ironic that you are recommending some one to stay away from a poly framed weapon. but your avatar is a glock. what exactly is the problem with apparently all poly framed guns?

(Red Cloud)
Old 11-24-2009, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MojaveWayne View Post
Hey folks, I am on the spot here. Dezchick is my wife. I bought this p95
because it looked like a sweet gun for $320.00

So far, great gun. I picked it up yesterday after a month long cool off and dros

I figured we shot 150 rounds though it last night.

I myself shot it, not a single jam,

I am truly amazed, Pretty accurate gun, and it drops the spent shells,, for
the most part within a 15 foot radius to the right

So, Wife (Dezertchick) shots it, and jams up almost every shot, We try every hand arm
combination to her to keep it rigid enough to operate, and still jams
every time on her.

So im at a loss, I looked at the Sig this morning, over $800.00

Next move, go to gun range, rent something that will work for Dezerchick
and go from there.

I knew going in, this P95 may have a too large of a grip for her, her hands are
about half of my size, but could not pass up for the price.

Sorry babe, the Walther p22 and the revolvers will have to suffice for now

Wayne
OK dumb question but is she doing the grip the gun at the sides by chance? Also is there a lot of muzzle flip? What about a glock 19 or 17? Or the Springfield XD? I have an HK USP Compact 9mm which has a smallish grip on it. Although it does have a bit of muzzle flip. (Not just for me either) Also may look in to a 1911 model since they seem to have narrower grips. I know that my other halfs Ruger has some major issues with malfunctions but I can't remember which model it is off the top of my head.
Old 11-24-2009, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcoffee View Post
Maybe this will be helpful. Your husband probably has a stronger grip than you do which is why the Ruger functions fine for him. When you consider a soft grip, compounded by the poor grip because of hand size you are most likely limp-wristing the gun. The gun requires a firm grip to cycle the slide. if you limp-wrist, you are absorbing the energy needed to cycle it. Make sure your forearm is straight with the wrist and bend your elbow slightly. Don't fight the recoil. Let the gun rise up and then bring it back down to the target. This will shift the recoil from the wrist to the elbow and let the slide function as it should. A good way to know how hard to grip a pistol is to think of it as an egg. Grip it tight enough to hang on, but not hard enough to break the egg.

What happens all to often is that we buy a 9mm because its a smaller cartridge. The guns are lighter and the lighter frame makes the gun more snappy on the felt recoil. 9mm autos are known to have an unpleasant muzzle flip. Just for fun, borrow or rent a 45acp 5" barrel. The gun weighs more which cancels the recoil better and the bullet is slower which helps too. A lot of women find the 1911 easier to shoot than most 9mm.

If you have your heart set on 9mm because frankly, its cheaper to buy ammo and smaller overall, then find a pistol with a dual spring setup on the guide rod. HK USP or P2000 are a great example. The main spring captures the initial force and the secondary spring stops the slide from hammering the frame. The second component is the felt recoil you probably don't like. When you are more comfortable with the felt recoil, you won't feel the need to limp-wrist out of anticipation. The added benefit is the cool factor your husband will like. My guess is, you will not be a collector of guns like most guys are. Spend a little extra on the right gun and enjoy the times when you do go shooting. Can I also add, the HK family of pistols use a finish which is very resistant to corrosion. This means you won't have to keep it oiled like most other guns. Less maintenance is needed.

The pistol comes with multiple size back straps to accommodate all size hands.
I would agree with you most of the time. But what happens when your not limp wristing and still get major malfunction issues. I have to send my HK USP Compact 9mm in to be looked at since I had a major malfunction in October on it and am not going to shoot it until I have had it looked at. The best way to describe what happened is one round jammed in the ejection port round underneath upside down tip was in the magazine. And yes there were witnesses to this one. No one is quite sure how in the heck this happened. First 2 to 3 magazines I run through very little problems then I start getting malfunctions and gets worse as I go. The last one though spooked the heck out of me though.
Old 11-24-2009, 10:09 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casual_Shooter View Post
Speaking to Sig about a gun for my wife, they suggested the Sig P239.
+1
Sig is great. you just need to pull the trigger, the gun takes care of the rest. of course, i think the 228 is better than the 239, but it's all about personal preference. The 239 has smaller grips i think. If you can't get a Sig try a springfield xd in 9mm. My wife has no problem shooting my brothers xd .40 and she has small, weak hands.

Most civilization is based on cowardice. It's so easy to civilize by teaching cowardice. You water down the standards which would lead to bravery. You restrain the will. You regulate the appetites. You fence in the horizons. You make a law for every movement. You deny the existence of chaos. You teach even the children to breathe slowly. You tame.
People Should Not Be Afraid Of Their Governments, Governments Should Be Afraid Of Their People

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Old 11-24-2009, 11:45 PM
Banned

I can't remember what I posted but has anyone considered the Browning Hi Power?
Old 11-25-2009, 2:37 AM

buy a revolver. problem solved.

-Thomas Paine 1775
Old 11-25-2009, 3:54 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
my duh---I will look at 229 or 226
Both those would be BAD choices for a person with small hands. In the Sig line you need a single stack pistol like a 225/p6/239. I have medium hands and on my 226 with a short trigger and thin alumigrips it's still difficult to reach the trigger for a double-action first shot.

Many people compensate for this by using an "L" grip to hold the pistol; basically gripping the pistol abit from the side so they can get their finger on the trigger easier. This is bad because it significantly weakens your ability to handle recoil and contributes to limp-wristing and slow follow up shots as the pistol tries to twist out of your hand.

You want the barrel to line up with your forearm when you grip the pistol. Heres Tod Jarret showing the proper way to index your pistol in line with your forearm:

Taking a proper grip is the first step to good shooting.

"While Ruger DA revolvers may be built like a tank, they have the aesthetics of one also,
although I suppose there are a few tanks which I owe an apology to for that remark"
Old 11-25-2009, 4:30 AM

The FEG PA63 is a 9x18 semi auto that is very easy for small hands to operate. My wife loves hers and has never had a jam or malfunction.
They are under $200 at most shops.
Old 11-27-2009, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pullnshoot25 View Post
I can't remember what I posted but has anyone considered the Browning Hi Power?
the Browning is a nice old gun; I'd rather shoot a CZ75B

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcliff View Post
Both those (226/229) would be BAD choices for a person with small hands. In the Sig line you need a single stack pistol like a 225/p6/239...
Don't be so quick to discount the double stacks... there's more than one way to skin a cat.
My roomie is only 5'2" and she has hogue panels on her 226. Her hands are small, but she tears up the xring with that pistol. Bare in mind a 9mm 226 isn't recoiling like a .40, but it really is a great pistol to shoot.
Personally I can't be that accurate with the wide grip Sigs. So I love my P6, even though I'm taller than her and can get a more correct grip on her 226 than she can.

Last edited by pTa; 11-28-2009 at 8:51 AM..
Old 11-28-2009, 11:19 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by pTa View Post
the Browning is a nice old gun; I'd rather shoot a CZ75B

Don't be so quick to discount the double stacks... there's more than one way to skin a cat.
My roomie is only 5'2" and she has hogue panels on her 226. Her hands are small, but she tears up the xring with that pistol. Bare in mind a 9mm 226 isn't recoiling like a .40, but it really is a great pistol to shoot.
Personally I can't be that accurate with the wide grip Sigs. So I love my P6, even though I'm taller than her and can get a more correct grip on her 226 than she can.
How does your roomie do on a double-action first shot? It's got to be difficult for her to pull it off accurately.

And is she able to grip it with the barrel aligned with her forearm? If not, she's not shooting to her potential and would be better served with a pistol that fits properly.

"While Ruger DA revolvers may be built like a tank, they have the aesthetics of one also,
although I suppose there are a few tanks which I owe an apology to for that remark"
Old 11-28-2009, 11:27 PM

Check out the P239....

Old 11-29-2009, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcliff View Post
Both those would be BAD choices for a person with small hands. In the Sig line you need a single stack pistol like a 225/p6/239. I have medium hands and on my 226 with a short trigger and thin alumigrips it's still difficult to reach the trigger for a double-action first shot.

Many people compensate for this by using an "L" grip to hold the pistol; basically gripping the pistol abit from the side so they can get their finger on the trigger easier. This is bad because it significantly weakens your ability to handle recoil and contributes to limp-wristing and slow follow up shots as the pistol tries to twist out of your hand.

You want the barrel to line up with your forearm when you grip the pistol. Heres Tod Jarret showing the proper way to index your pistol in line with your forearm:

Taking a proper grip is the first step to good shooting.
I agree with you somewhat. I believe a proper grip is important as are most of the mechanics of shooting (stance, etc). That being said, much of shooting, especially defensive/combat (vs target/bullseye), I believe is making the right compromises between mechanics and particulars of a gun.

I think you need to balance things like grip/mechanics against gun particulars like grip size, grip angle, barrel length, trigger weight, trigger distance, round capacity, gun materials, gun weight, gun caliber, gun inherent accuracy, etc.

For example, the P220 fits my hand better than the P226; while I can shoot the P220 well enough, my follow-up shots with a P226 (in 9mm) is quicker. The HK P2000 fits my hand almost perfectly and the trigger position couldn't be better. But the DA pull is significantly heavier than my P226, magazines are outrageously expensive and I like the longer barrel (and sight radius) of the P226.

I use a slight offset grip on my P226 - it may not be a perfect, textbook grip but the P226, overall, works best for me.
Old 12-31-2009, 2:13 PM
Calguns Addict

My wife likes her XD9. Very grip-able for a double stack. The CZ is also good.

The Springfield EMP9 is an all metal gun with a single-stack 9 round magazine. Top of the line and very compact. Yes the price is a bit steep but it's a quality gun. My wife is right proud of hers.
Old 12-31-2009, 4:56 PM

I don't know if was mentioned yet but my wife really likes her S&W M&P 9mm. It has different panels to adjust for different hand sizes.
Old 12-31-2009, 5:39 PM
Banned

Already mentioned the Hi Power...

CZ-75B is Europe's answer to the Hi Power. I think they are neck-and-neck for usability and durability.

Last edited by pullnshoot25; 12-31-2009 at 5:46 PM..
Old 12-31-2009, 9:02 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

I have a few rugers. And you are right the P90 98 95 series have big grips. I have big hands and actually prefer a thicker grip.
Does the gun have a rubber slip on grip or not? If you mainly bought it for her and its not working for her you may want to sell or trade it. It does sound like a case of loose grip/limp wrist. No point in keeping a gun no matter how accurate if you cant shoot it. Did you check out the Ruger P345? Its a single stack 45 caliber and it has the feel of a 1911 in the grip. i had one and I actually did not like it due to the thinner grip. the .45 and 9mm ammo difference cost is not that huge.

I would look into single stack models rather than double stack. I had a XD9 tactical and the grips were slightly thinner than my Ruger was.

have her try the XD series. I liked mine. I ended up giving it to my buddy as a present for graduating the naval academy
Old 12-31-2009, 9:05 PM

Try a Kahr PM9 or CW9....
Old 01-07-2010, 12:24 PM

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE my M&P 9mm!!! I had previously shot a Sig 239 and liked it too. I took both guns to the range trying to figure out which one I liked better, and it turned out I liked the M&P better- I shot it better and it flips a little less (for me, anyways.) The interchangable grips are pretty handy too. I'm a small gal with small hands and not a lot of strength in my left hand/wrist. I had problems racking the slide on some of the guns I tried, but this one is no problem. I love it!!!

Good luck
Old 01-07-2010, 1:38 PM

Firearms are personal choices when it comes to comfort. If all else fails buy the Sig too.
Old 01-07-2010, 2:37 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Springfield 1911 EMP in 9mm for a small overall size and a small diamater grip.

Springfield 1911 Loaded in 9mm for a full size handgun with a small diamager grip.

The issue you are likely running into that double stack magazines are wide and take up a lot of space. So guns designed to use duble stack magazines have wide grips. I have short, stubby fingers which do slow me down using Glocks and H&K USPs (my favorite guns) a little because reaching the controls can at times require adjusting my hands. I put up with this because of magazine capacity and I just like them. If I could not get my hands comfortably around them at all, I would opt for a 1911.

1911s use a single stack magazine, so the diamater of the grip is smaller (usually) and thus ideal for small hands.

Downside is they are pricy, especially when they come with the modern features you are definately going to want. They also do not have as high a magazine capacity so you will be changing your magazine a little more often. The upside is I am pretty sure you will be able to get your hand all the around the grip, and be able to reach the controls.

I've been drooling over the Springfield 1911 EMP 9mm for some time now. My handgun is a Glock 19. I love it. But the EMP is thinner, and smaller, and would hide better on my body during concealed carry. I am just itching to get one.

Last edited by tacticalcity; 01-07-2010 at 2:51 PM..
Old 01-07-2010, 4:39 PM

Default Pistol Choices for a Lady

The decision on what to choose for a defensive handgun is a very subjective issue. Compile that with the necessity of limiting the available choices to a particular style or size of pistol and it can become even more complicated.

After having taught several ladies to shoot a handgun/ pistol here are a few suggestions for consideration;

1. If you have not received professional training in the handling/ firing of a handgun invest in a basic course or a couple of individual lessons with a certified instructor or knowledgeable individual.

2. Find several ranges with rentals and try to fire 6-8 different pistols/ handguns of various makes/ calibers.

NOTE: If the pistol/ handgun is to be used for Concealed Carry/ Personal defense, seriously consider ONLY .35 caliber or greater (nothing smaller than 9mm or .38 Special).

3. Suggestions by anyone else are beneficial for academic purposes, BUT only YOU can decide what pistol/ handgun fits your hand and what style/ frame, etc. you prefer.

4. Purchase the best gun (pistol/ handgun) you can afford. Sure, $1,000 for a pistol is expensive but if properly cared for such a gun could last a lifetime.

And if it turns-out that a Glock, USP, SigPro, Springfield XD are pistols that suit you such a pistol could be purchased for around $500-700 (slightly more or less depending on the model/ caliber/ sights, except for the USP).

Also, a quality used pistol can be a viable option as well. Because of the economy there are many opportunities to purchase a used pistol for substantially less than a newer model.

The two types of handguns that I have taught more ladies to shoot with by far are the standard Smith and Wesson 686 medium frame double action revolver (.38 Special or .357 Magnum) firing .38 Special rounds and a Glock 19/17 9mm pistol.

These pistols are very easy to learn how to use and generally have a grip size which accommodates persons with smaller hand sizes.

I have also taught several ladies to fire a pistol with an HKP7 M8 and a SIG 220/ 226 pistols as well. But, I preferred the Glock and revolver because the manual of arms is fairly simple.

My own recommendations for a ladies self-defense/ CCW pistol would be the following (Cheapest to most expensive):

1. Glock 19/23 (9mm/ .40 SW)

2. Smith and Wesson .38 Special (M60, 36, 442, 640, etc.) revolver

3. Smith and Wesson 3913

4. Sig 229/ 226 9mm

5. HKP7 M8

These are all firearms/ pistols which I have owned or have used a great deal (except for the 3913, I have shot 2 and both were very accurate and reliable).

Good Luck in your search,
SkiDevil

P.S. Take your time and try-out a variety of guns. Also, I would probably lean more towards a 9mm or .40 SW Caliber because generally the ammunition is easier to locate and cheaper to shoot than the other standard defensive handgun calibers.

Finally, understand that in order to truly have a substantially reduced grip size, then a sub-compact or ultra-compact pistol may have to be considered. Typically these type of handguns have shorter barrels (reduced ballistics) and at times questionable reliability.