Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Ladies Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ladies Forum A place for our female Calgunners to discuss, share and interact without the 'excess attention' sometimes found in online forums.

Old 02-09-2015, 7:49 AM

Awesome story, and thanks for sharing.
Old 02-11-2015, 11:57 AM

GG, that is a fantastic story; thank you for sharing. My mom was convinced in a similar manner. Even though I had firearms (and she wasn't opposed to them) it just wasn't something she was interested in. Then a lady at church mentioned being a firearms instructor and it piqued my mom's interest. We ended up discussing the different types of handguns, went through the 4 safety rules and eventually went to the range together. She loved it and did great. This lead to my niece becoming interested and I eventually took her to the range as well.

I think there is something about seeing other women shoot that connects in a different way than seeing men shoot. I applaud you for taking a risk and posting on FB, then going further and taking them to the firing range. You are a great ambassador for liberty and self-reliance!
Old 02-21-2015, 9:08 AM

I am in the process of getting my CCW. I've had my interview, waiting for the BG check to complete and get my range date scheduled. My family knows this. I joined the local gun club so I could shoot on my own without worrying about my BF's schedule to go out with him. I pondered in quite awhile and finally decided to join because they have an archery range as well and my son really enjoyed archery in Boy Scouts and wanted to continue. He has a long bow but no real place to shoot it. The range has open archery twice a month so we started going, my step-son came along as well and then asked for a compound bow for christmas. So now it's a "thing". The last range day ended up on Valentine's day. My son was debating going because he wanted to spend it with his girlfriend. I suggested he bring her to archery. In my mind, archery and valentine's day go together. Cupid's arrow and such. He misunderstood and thought they were having some kind of valentine's event at the range and we all set it up. When I told him it was just a regular archery day, but would probably be a light crowd because of the holiday, they agreed to still go.

His girlfriend REALLY enjoyed the archery and will be coming with us every time now. And while we were sitting around the picnic tables at the range eating lunch after the shoot, we started talking about my CCW and the two guns I own. That lead to the Women on Target class that is coming up in March. I was planning on skipping it since I've already been, but she seemed interested so I invited her. Her eyes lit up and she seemed quite giddy about the concept. We are going together on March 22. This class takes the women through the safety plus hands on shooting with Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, and Trap.

She mentioned that her mother doesn't really like guns and I asked if she would be able to go. She said that since the event will be safety conscious with instructors, etc., her mom would have no trouble allowing her to go. I can't wait. And maybe we'll be able to bring her mother with us to one of the events as well.

Last edited by brekkke; 02-21-2015 at 9:10 AM..
Old 02-21-2015, 11:24 AM
Garv Overlord
CGN Contributor

Location: 805, Caught Between My Woman And My Pistol And My Chips

^^^ Excellent brekkke! Thank you for sharing your story too.

What women on target do you attend (area), if you don't mind me asking.

This thread is full of win.

Old 02-22-2015, 10:19 AM

I am in the high desert and attend the Apple Valley Gun Club Women on Target events. They also have monthly Women's Clinics sponsored by the club the 2nd Friday each month. It alternates between Pistol and other topics. January was Gun Cleaning, February Pistol, March How to not be a victim, April Pistol, May Trap, June Couples Pistol (that should be fun), July Rifle, August Pistol. The club volunteer coaches bring all their guns so the women get to try a variety of different types and models to see what fits. It is always one-on-one coaching. I encourage any women in the High Desert area to attend. They start at 6 with dinner and are usually done by 9. They are really fun and informative. I've met several women who are now my friends.
Old 02-22-2015, 10:19 AM

I suppose I should include a link in case anyone wants to join us.

http://applevalleygunclub.com/index.php?page=38
Old 02-22-2015, 10:52 AM
I need a LIFE!!

But your shooting a Sig! Kudos and good work getting some newbs to the range!
Old 02-22-2015, 1:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElvenSoul View Post
But your shooting a Sig! Kudos and good work getting some newbs to the range!
I know - it's ironic. I cut my teeth on the Glocks, but when I moved to a Free State, I couldn't carry them concealed as well as I liked. The little Sig disappears, and also, what a sexy gun!
Old 02-22-2015, 3:04 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock Girl in CA View Post
I know - it's ironic. I cut my teeth on the Glocks, but when I moved to a Free State, I couldn't carry them concealed as well as I liked. The little Sig disappears, and also, what a sexy gun!
If you don't already have some, try the P238 extended magazines. They give you an extra round, but more importantly they let you grip the gun with all of your fingers. It makes a big difference. The P238 is my pocket CCW gun. Even though mine is a non-rainbow version, I love it, too.

Old 02-22-2015, 3:13 PM
Garv Overlord
CGN Contributor

Location: 805, Caught Between My Woman And My Pistol And My Chips

Quote:
Originally Posted by brekkke View Post
I suppose I should include a link in case anyone wants to join us.

http://applevalleygunclub.com/index.php?page=38
Not surprising, I hear of them quite often on the boards. If they're doing regular monthly clinics that's a lot of work and they deserve to be commended.

Thanks to Apple Valley Gun Club and all the individuals keeping up the good fight.

I'm sure they and other programs could use all the support they can get. So people reading should consider attending these clinics and or helping instruct etc. As we've seen here, it can have a great impact on all the participants, attendee and volunteer alike.

Old 02-22-2015, 3:33 PM

Quote:
GG, I'm thinking about getting that same Sig for my wife. She likes shooting my Beretta 92FS (not so much the .357 or 1911) but she has smaller hands and I think she'd like the Sig better. She keeps talking about a new pistol for her side of the bed (hmm maybe I should be scared). Any Pros or Cons you care to share?
Old 02-24-2015, 8:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TransplantTexan View Post
GG, I'm thinking about getting that same Sig for my wife. She likes shooting my Beretta 92FS (not so much the .357 or 1911) but she has smaller hands and I think she'd like the Sig better. She keeps talking about a new pistol for her side of the bed (hmm maybe I should be scared). Any Pros or Cons you care to share?
I love this gun!

Pros: It's pretty, it's easy to field strip, it hides so darn well, it's easy on the recoil, it's accurate

Cons: It's a .380.

The rainbow comes in a 9 mm too. My friend has one, but I find it a little snappier than I'd prefer.
Old 03-09-2015, 1:28 PM

I've been looking for what I want for the 3rd on my permit. My range date is April 4 and if I dont have it by then, I've got to wait a year to get it on the permit. This thread made me go look at them. I've requested an early bday present from my dad in Arkansas for the 9mm version. No one in CA has any to PPT. I'm excite about it. Hoping it gets here in time to get it out of jail with practice time before my qualifying.
Old 03-09-2015, 7:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brekkke View Post
I've been looking for what I want for the 3rd on my permit. My range date is April 4 and if I dont have it by then, I've got to wait a year to get it on the permit. This thread made me go look at them. I've requested an early bday present from my dad in Arkansas for the 9mm version. No one in CA has any to PPT. I'm excite about it. Hoping it gets here in time to get it out of jail with practice time before my qualifying.
Ooh, fantastic! I hope you get it in time to qualify with it. Such a great little gun. But the real question is....is it rainbow?
Old 03-09-2015, 9:55 PM
Veteran Member

Why do you have to wait a year if you don't qualify with it right now? I am not sure what county is, but I can't imagine they wouldn't let you qualify with it any time. You might have to pay a small fee to have a new card printed.

I know is OC you can change at will. Most trainers that I have talked to will let you come it and shot the qualification for a small fee.
Old 03-10-2015, 8:11 AM

I have requested the Rainbow version! I can't wait. It is out of stock with his dealers so he is having to order it. Hoping it comes in time.

San Bernardino County has said they are overwhelmed and won't do modifications except at renewal or on annual anniversary. So if I don't qualify with it now, I must wait a year.
Old 03-10-2015, 4:45 PM

Quote:
I love this gun!

Pros: It's pretty, it's easy to field strip, it hides so darn well, it's easy on the recoil, it's accurate

Cons: It's a .380.

The rainbow comes in a 9 mm too. My friend has one, but I find it a little snappier than I'd prefer.
Glock Girl, this reminds me of the Colt Mustang of old. I didn't own it, but shot a few rounds through it. And liked it. I wonder if the P238 is similar? I always meant to pick up a Mustang, but never go around it to, and then Colt stopped making it.
Old 03-10-2015, 6:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KR_H View Post
Glock Girl, this reminds me of the Colt Mustang of old. I didn't own it, but shot a few rounds through it. And liked it. I wonder if the P238 is similar? I always meant to pick up a Mustang, but never go around it to, and then Colt stopped making it.
YES! They were made to represent/re-create that gun! You simply must have it!
Old 03-11-2015, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KR_H View Post
Glock Girl, this reminds me of the Colt Mustang of old. I always meant to pick up a Mustang, but never go around it to, and then Colt stopped making it.
Hahhaa…quoting myself here. That Mustang slide gave me a cut on the web of my right thumb. So sharp I didn't even know until I saw the blood flowing.

(Though in my defense, that was before I knew what I was doing.)