Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism Discuss gun rights activism and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 09-01-2013, 8:11 AM
CGSSA Coordinator
CGN Contributor

Wild Squid = Adam Keigwin. Now that he no longer works for Yee, this is his full time hobby.

Old 09-01-2013, 8:11 AM

I seem to recall a certain law that passed a few years ago that placed a ban on internet ammo sales and limits on handgun ammo per month as well as mandating micro stamping. I also recall it being challenged and overturned. Don't tell me CGF does nothing but fleece suckers least you become one yourself.
Old 09-01-2013, 9:12 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeknow View Post
I disagree with the OP. Further, reading his post history shows a pattern of behavior that makes shows its ok to dismiss him entirely. I'm not exactly sure why he comes here, but he's certainly a serial agitator, being contrary just for the sake of it.

Moving on...a cgr posted in this thread that hes noticed that many firearms enthusiasts are unaware, or only peripherally aware of the reach that these new laws have, and that, even as big as cgn has become, it still only reaches a small slice of CA gunowners. Those who come here regularly know these new laws inside and out. We spend a lot of time wondering why the average CA voter doesn't "get it".

With that, I think much can be done still to raise awareness, parrallel to our efforts to sway legislature, and failing that, force the issue in the courts.

I vote we hijack the OP's thread, and instead turn his pedantic rant into a constructive discussion of what else we can do to further the cause.
Only some people on this site are aware of the pending legislation. Proof of this was all the recent posts asking "Hey what's this I heard about........"

I know a bunch of people who don't read or post on Calguns. Some act like they don't care. Others get their updated info from me. This just proves the point that if these laws pass their are going to be a lot of current law abiding gun owners getting in trouble for not being in the know.
Old 09-01-2013, 9:26 AM

IBTL ?
Old 09-01-2013, 9:31 AM
Veteran Member

Hey Squid, why are you so worried about what I do with my money and who I donate it too?
Old 09-01-2013, 10:07 AM
Mortuus Ergo Invictus
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

For the record, you are incorrect about a few things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hungrydoberman View Post
In California we basically have the California Rifle and Pistol Association, Gun Owners of California, and Calguns foundation.
We also have the NRA, which does a lot more for CA than you seem to think. Not only do they have dedicated staff here, including but not limited to a full time lobbyist, but they also support a great deal of litigation, along with the CRPA (which also has a full time lobbyist).

Quote:
Calguns pushes 90% of the litigation.
Quite untrue. Not only is CGF responsible for a much smaller share of the litigation than you suggest, they have not won a single case overturning a CA law.

Quote:
That AR you have in your closet right now, without Calguns foundation the bullet button would have never happened.
100% false. The bullet button was created by Prince50, and people have had featureless ARs as far back as 1999. CGF was not around then, nor did it participate in Harrot, the case which allowed for "offlist" ARs (the NRA on the other hand WAS involved).
My posts may contain general information related to the law, however, THEY ARE NOT LEGAL ADVICE AND I AM NOT A LAWYER. I recommend you consult a lawyer if you want legal advice. No attorney-client or confidential relationship exists or will be formed between myself and any other person on the basis of these posts. Pronouns I may use (such as "you" and "your") do NOT refer to any particular person under any circumstance.
Old 09-01-2013, 10:59 AM
Banned

I don't think he should be banned. Is there any legitimacy to what he posted in his original thread? I watch some of the hearings on the internet. Our representation didn't seem well prepared at times.

Does anyone know what they have actually done? Is there a way to find out what they are doing on a day to day basis to further the cause?

I don't think he should be banned but this is a time for us to stand together. I'm seeing more and more post where we are attacking each other.

We have some deep issue to overcome. Most gun owners don't know or care to know what's going on. My neighbor bought himself a $2100 Benelli shotgun 2 years ago. He has no Idea that he will now have to register that gun. He might not even care that he has to register it.

If we don't stand together we are done.
Old 09-01-2013, 11:35 AM
CGSSA Associate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windex View Post
My neighbor bought himself a $2100 Benelli shotgun 2 years ago. He has no Idea that he will now have to register that gun.

Why would he have to register it? The 2014 long gun registration law is NOT retroactive.

When Injustice Becomes Law, Resistance is Duty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas
“For those of us who work in marbled halls, guarded constantly by a vigilant and dedicated police force, the guarantees of the Second Amendment might seem antiquated and superfluous. But the Framers made a clear choice: They reserved to all Americans the right to bear arms for self-defense. I do not think we should stand by idly while a state denies its citizens that right, particularly when their very lives may depend on it.”
Old 09-01-2013, 11:43 AM

What squid isn't wild or is he referring to how he does his hair?

This is a lot like your coach paying a reporter to piss on his team so they get extra motivation for the game.

Remember

Heller
Guy Montag Doe
McDonald
California

Life Member
Old 09-01-2013, 11:46 AM

I’m going to step in to this quagmire with a question. Why cant we utilize Public Broadcasting Networks (TV / Radio Stations) to educate, whether it be 2A or gun safety to get the message out directly or indirectly?

Surprisingly most of the people I encounter on a day to day bases aren’t even aware of current laws much less upcoming proposed laws.

I personally believe CGF is doing a very good job, but seems the Anti’s use the media as their big gun to push their agendas while we sit on forums that just don’t seem to get the message out as effectively.

There must be some way to get equal air time to help spread the word. Stop and think about it for a moment, companies like duck dynasty are making millions on the back of 2A. Perhaps they would be willing to chip in a few dollars as well as gun manufactures to help support some type of media events to help educate the people. After all they have a stake in the outcome of these laws whether at the State level or National level.

If I’m off base, please excuse my ignorance.
Old 09-01-2013, 12:50 PM

Old 09-01-2013, 1:01 PM

Location: Born on the Sacramento River. Raised by an a Alligator, sired by a Lion. Backbone o' barbed wire!!

$35.00, hell of a deal!

Thanks, Galguns
Old 09-01-2013, 1:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ_ View Post
I’m going to step in to this quagmire with a question. Why cant we utilize Public Broadcasting Networks (TV / Radio Stations) to educate, whether it be 2A or gun safety to get the message out directly or indirectly?

Surprisingly most of the people I encounter on a day to day bases aren’t even aware of current laws much less upcoming proposed laws.

I personally believe CGF is doing a very good job, but seems the Anti’s use the media as their big gun to push their agendas while we sit on forums that just don’t seem to get the message out as effectively.

There must be some way to get equal air time to help spread the word. Stop and think about it for a moment, companies like duck dynasty are making millions on the back of 2A. Perhaps they would be willing to chip in a few dollars as well as gun manufactures to help support some type of media events to help educate the people. After all they have a stake in the outcome of these laws whether at the State level or National level.

If I’m off base, please excuse my ignorance.
^^This is the only worthwhile post in this whole ridiculous thread. Additionally, it seems to me that all gun rights organizations should invest seriously in promoting and educating gun rights to young people, women and minorities. Those are future voters. The anti's are very good at reaching out to them. All gun rights groups need to concentrate on reaching out to these groups via the use of media, cooler/hipper educated advocates, etc. The NRA would fare far better if they utilized Colion Noir as opposed to Wayne La Pierre as their mouthpiece. The movement has enough old letter-writing white guys behind it. Its a brave new world...adapt or die...
Old 09-01-2013, 1:11 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime

How many desperate attorneys have had their feathers ruffled so badly that they insist on making ridiculously stupid posts in an attempt to denigrate other, CGF affiliated lawyers?
The architects of the assault weapon bans ... are simply trying to fight the Culture War. And we can't win, not in California anyway because you guys, the ones with the most to lose, refuse to do what you need to do to win the Culture Wars, which is to make Calguns and the gun rights community a truly big tent and stop driving people away simply because they are different from you.
Crime rate per 100k people
General population: 3,817
Police officers: 108
Legal CCW: 18
Old 09-01-2013, 1:43 PM
Calguns Addict

Ive read every post in this thread, and I STILL can't figure out why the OP cares what others do with their money/time.
Old 09-01-2013, 1:51 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tincon View Post
For the record, you are incorrect about a few things.

We also have the NRA, which does a lot more for CA than you seem to think. Not only do they have dedicated staff here, including but not limited to a full time lobbyist, but they also support a great deal of litigation, along with the CRPA (which also has a full time lobbyist).

Quite untrue. Not only is CGF responsible for a much smaller share of the litigation than you suggest, they have not won a single case overturning a CA law.
Scott Brady with the Michels (sp?) law firm posted a 3-page list of filings and decisions...saw it a week ago and apologize for not finding it now.

If someone could find it and post a link, most interesting is what CRPA has actually done v. CGF...which always seemed to me to be more of a legal defense group, not particularly in the offensive mode toward legislation.

-hanko

Life's journey is not to arrive safely in a well preserved body, but rather to slide in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "holy schit...what a ride"!!

Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in. Mark Twain

A man's soul can be judged by the way he treats his dog. Charles Doran
Old 09-01-2013, 2:08 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by -hanko View Post
Scott Brady with the Michels (sp?) law firm posted a 3-page list of filings and decisions...saw it a week ago and apologize for not finding it now.

If someone could find it and post a link, most interesting is what CRPA has actually done v. CGF...which always seemed to me to be more of a legal defense group, not particularly in the offensive mode toward legislation.

-hanko
CRPA has a very effective lobbyist in Sacramento who has done great work for California gun owners.
Old 09-01-2013, 2:14 PM
Banned

My mistake on the Shotgun law. I didn't know it was not retro-active. I guess my point is he is a gun owner and has no idea of the laws that are being passed. He wants to buy an AR because I told him what was going on. He is not actively involved.

This is why we are losing.
Old 09-01-2013, 2:15 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. P View Post
The NRA would fare far better if they utilized Colion Noir as opposed to Wayne La Pierre as their mouthpiece. The movement has enough old letter-writing white guys behind it. Its a brave new world...adapt or die...
As an old, letter-writing white guy, I agree. Younger people have a different perspective than we did at their age. To get their attention and engage them requires a different tack than what we have practiced for the past 50+ years.
Old 09-01-2013, 2:35 PM
In Memoriam

I don't see any aspect of our fight as an "all or nothing" proposition. Other that "We ALL need to wake up and do ALL we can to defend our 2A rights!"

We need voices in the capitol, we needs voices in the courts, we need voices on the streets.

At some point in the future we may be able to look back and in hindsight pinpoint a course of action that may have been the best one to pursue, but unless your crystal ball has 20/20 clarity there's no way to predict what path will prove to be most effective.

That doesn't mean that we should jump on any group that purports to be 2A proponents, each of us must always do our due diligence. And there are strategies that although well intentioned can, if reality, be counter productive.

Some of this in-fighting just plays into the anti's hands and we should all consider that before throwing out wild accusations.

Last edited by FastFinger; 09-01-2013 at 4:32 PM..
Old 09-01-2013, 2:57 PM

Default wild squid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Squid View Post
Perhaps some of you remember me a while back I posted about how you guys who donated to Calguns Foundation and its lawyers were all just suckers. I am here to gloat and say I Told You So. I told you those guys never did anything for improving the 2A in CA and never would. Now here we are on the brink of a major @$$ whupping with the Appropriations, and I don't see those guys who collected your money anywhere in sight telling you to not fear and that they'd do something about it. Where are they now? They knew all along they couldn't do jack squat but did they tell you to stop donating money to a lost cause? Nope.

How much money did they get off you suckers in the last 5 years? $$Millions?? They predicted 2A rights would start improving real soon and here we are losing more and more by the minute. Do you even feel cheated at all? I know I would.

Listen, I think Calguns is cool and all to talk about guns, learn about guns, the marketplace and other stuff. But this whole donating thing to some crook lawyers who gave you all false hope is some serious bullspit.

At first I bought into the bullspit too. I had high hopes when I first joined this forum, was told to get ready for major changes. And that Shall Issue CCW was just over the horizon. Oh don't tell me there's CCW in Sacramento, because if it's not for all of CA then it means nothing to me.

Over time I realized what bullspit this falsely given hope was. I'm usually not one to be easily duped so perhaps that's why I feel so strongly about this issue. But for you guys that actually threw away money due to some false propaganda? Ouch.

So in closing, I'd just like to poll what you guys that actually donated money think about it now? Do you see the light and agree with me? Or will you continue to listen to the crook lawyers that now is not the time to give up and they need more funds? How do you feel about how much difference your donations made now with the Appropriations @$$ whupping?

Tweeker
Old 09-01-2013, 3:06 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Squid View Post
I am here to gloat and say I Told You So.
I smell small man syndrome.

"“[S]cientific proof” of both gun-rights and gun-control theories “is very hard to get”; therefore, requiring “some substantial scientific proof to show that a [firearm] law will indeed substantially reduce crime and injury” is tantamount to applying strict scrutiny to, and almost certainly will lead to invalidation of, the law." - Kamala Harris

Lawyers and their Stockholm Syndrome
Old 09-01-2013, 3:19 PM

The guy is losing his gun rights and he's here to gloat. fool.

NRA - Life member
SAF - Life member
GOA - Member
CalgunsFoundation - Supporter
Old 09-01-2013, 3:21 PM

Quote:
Any pink fresh hippy law school grad could take on these civil cases
Well, sir, why don't you do this better, if you thus claim? California State Bar doesn't actually require a law degree to get sit for the bar, so if you work for a certain number of years at a law-firm you can become licensed to practice law in our state! I'm looking forward to all the successful litigation you will lead!

Trolling aside, it's nuts to ignore what Calguns has gone: number of individuals as far into the "no way, this won't happen!" territory as San Mateo county have a CCW, featureless and bullet button equipped OLLs are sold in nearly every gun store in this state, and so forth... You may "so what", but this now created a large group of people with a strong personal interest ("hey, I paid $2500 for my tactictool close-quarters zombie annihilator carbine, don't take it away!") for great deal of people in California.

Also don't get that great deal of bad legislation (some bills this year, SB 249 last year) has been defeated over years, despite this being a single party state (FWIW I'm not a partisan of either of the parties, but I just think a state that's a "safe win" for either one of the parties bodes poorly for individuals in that state who care about their rights).
Old 09-01-2013, 3:27 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

While I think the OP is full of sh¡t I understand the frustration. About 20% of California's population own guns (http://www.schs.state.nc.us/SCHS/brf.../firearm3.html). That is 7.5 million people. If half of them showed up and voted a pro-gun ticket, they would dominate any statewide election.

IBTL...
Old 09-01-2013, 3:42 PM
Head Janitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthonysmanifesto View Post
link?
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...49&postcount=7

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...58&postcount=8

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...65&postcount=9

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...2&postcount=10
The California Rifle & Pistol Assoc. - Director.
DONATE TO NRA-ILA, CGSSA, AND CRPAF NOW!
Opinions posted in this account are my own and unless specifically stated as such are not the approved position of Calguns.net, CGSSA or CRPA.
Old 09-01-2013, 3:48 PM
Head Janitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by naeco81 View Post
How many desperate attorneys have had their feathers ruffled so badly that they insist on making ridiculously stupid posts in an attempt to denigrate other, CGF affiliated lawyers?
By the same token how many lawyers and law firms have been alienated from CGN and the 2A forum by the echo chamber effect and the hard core CGF supporters.
'If you aren't in 100% agreement you're wrong and must be driven off!'

And please don't tell me that it's BS, for a long time I was of that mindset and was lauded for deleting and banning those of opposing viewpoints.

Even supporting CGF I have come to realize that was wrong and so was protecting CGF from negative comments.

As long as it is civil everyone should be able to post their thoughts, concerns, support or even criticisms.

Even the OP regardless of how much i think he's wrong, misinformed and just confused.
Opinions posted in this account are my own and unless specifically stated as such are not the approved position of Calguns.net, CGSSA or CRPA.
Old 09-01-2013, 3:51 PM
I need a LIFE!!

/\ Bravo
Old 09-01-2013, 4:01 PM
Head Janitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthonysmanifesto View Post
I encourage anyone who has concerns with the direction of these cases to express themselves. its your money, its your gun rights. go ahead speak up.
Exactly.

We should be as open to hear the concerns and criticisms as we are to hear the support and accolades.
Old 09-01-2013, 4:06 PM
top poster @ utahguns.net

I didn't see this brought up before but our rights aren't just eroding because of bad laws/legislators and indifferent, lazy gun owners. We are also being victimized by activist judges. Nothing CGF or any other organization can do about that.

Join the discussion at www.utahguns.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP911 View Post
sweet jesus, the subject matter experts are 97!
Isaiah 41:10
So do not fear, for I am with you;
do not be dismayed, for I am your God.
I will strengthen you and help you;
I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.

Last edited by BakoJ; 09-01-2013 at 4:09 PM..
Old 09-01-2013, 4:08 PM
Calguns Addict

Kes: agreed.

"“[S]cientific proof” of both gun-rights and gun-control theories “is very hard to get”; therefore, requiring “some substantial scientific proof to show that a [firearm] law will indeed substantially reduce crime and injury” is tantamount to applying strict scrutiny to, and almost certainly will lead to invalidation of, the law." - Kamala Harris

Lawyers and their Stockholm Syndrome
Old 09-01-2013, 4:11 PM
Veteran Member

Oh great! Call us all suckers and we'll gladly jump to constructively criticize our foundation.
Old 09-01-2013, 4:16 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestryll View Post
Even supporting CGF I have come to realize that was wrong and so was protecting CGF from negative comments.

As long as it is civil everyone should be able to post their thoughts, concerns, support or even criticisms.

Even the OP regardless of how much i think he's wrong, misinformed and just confused.
I'm really happy you've come around to the light, sir! The above is absolutely correct, because it's the only way rational discourse can properly function.

In the end, we can't win this unless we convince people of the rightness of our position, and that can't be done with a one-way dialog except when one owns a majority of the media outlets -- something the other side has that we don't.
The Constitution is not "the Supreme Law of the Land, except in the face of contradicting law which has not yet been overturned by the courts". It is THE SUPREME LAW OF THE LAND, PERIOD. You break your oath to uphold the Constitution if you don't refuse to enforce unadjudicated laws you believe are Unconstitutional.

The real world laughs at optimism. And here's why.
Old 09-01-2013, 5:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitbull30 View Post
Only some people on this site are aware of the pending legislation. Proof of this was all the recent posts asking "Hey what's this I heard about........"

I know a bunch of people who don't read or post on Calguns. Some act like they don't care. Others get their updated info from me. This just proves the point that if these laws pass their are going to be a lot of current law abiding gun owners getting in trouble for not being in the know.

This.

I can't believe that most of my gun-owning friends know little to nothing about the pending laws. They're the type that only go out once every couple of months and just ask me what's going on with CA laws.

So how do we reach these types of people? The ones that don't go on Calguns or have a friend that is staying informed to pass on the message.

I like the idea that someone mentioned earlier about using the public media system. What would something like a 30 sec ad cost to air? It could at least bring people to Calguns where they can find more information. Unfortunately it would bring more trolls too...
Old 09-01-2013, 5:42 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanner127 View Post
This.

I can't believe that most of my gun-owning friends know little to nothing about the pending laws. They're the type that only go out once every couple of months and just ask me what's going on with CA laws.

So how do we reach these types of people? The ones that don't go on Calguns or have a friend that is staying informed to pass on the message.

I like the idea that someone mentioned earlier about using the public media system. What would something like a 30 sec ad cost to air? It could at least bring people to Calguns where they can find more information. Unfortunately it would bring more trolls too...
Imagine their surprise when they get a letter from the Cal DOJ indicating that they must register their 'assault weapons' or surrender them to local law enforcement. Lack of action is undoubtly more damaging than the attitude of the OP.

Sometimes the law defends plunder and participates in it. Sometimes the law places the whole apparatus of judges, police, prisons and gendarmes at the service of the plunderers, and treats the victim -- when he defends himself -- as a criminal. Bastiat

“Everything the State says is a lie, and everything it has it has stolen.” Friedrich Nietzsche
Old 09-01-2013, 5:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsim View Post

Why? Thats how he feels about it then let it be.
Old 09-01-2013, 6:20 PM

"The Only Thing Necessary for the Triumph of Evil is that Good Men Do Nothing"

I immediately thought of this quote when the op asked if the people who donated money to CGF basically felt foolish.

Foolish would have been to not even try. Even with the uphill battle we fight to uphold our second amendment right in this utopia minded state, no matter the odds or discrepancies, never, never, never should we just lay down and take it.

Foolish is this thread. It was obviously meant to rile others and make us second guess those who represent us. Infighting is the sign of defeat. Are we defeated? Nope. Let's keep our eye on the goal guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. P View Post
^^This is the only worthwhile post in this whole ridiculous thread. Additionally, it seems to me that all gun rights organizations should invest seriously in promoting and educating gun rights to young people, women and minorities. Those are future voters. The anti's are very good at reaching out to them. All gun rights groups need to concentrate on reaching out to these groups via the use of media, cooler/hipper educated advocates, etc. The NRA would fare far better if they utilized Colion Noir as opposed to Wayne La Pierre as their mouthpiece. The movement has enough old letter-writing white guys behind it. Its a brave new world...adapt or die...
100% agree. Adaptation is our only course. Educating others, very hard to do it through the anti-gun media but there are other ways. Why aren't there more public ranges in California where citizens can go and learn gun safety and self defense measures? I would think this would be popular do to rise in home invasions and all the inmates that are being release from the prisons.
Old 09-01-2013, 6:37 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by naeco81 View Post
CRPA has kicked the CGF arse...take yourself to post 126 and begin reading.

hth

-hanko

Life's journey is not to arrive safely in a well preserved body, but rather to slide in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "holy schit...what a ride"!!

Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in. Mark Twain

A man's soul can be judged by the way he treats his dog. Charles Doran
Old 09-01-2013, 7:16 PM

I vote Bacon.
Old 09-01-2013, 8:08 PM

+1 post #128, tip my cap to the head janitor.

I never understood why fellow 2A supporters flame each other. We've got to be open to minority opinions, otherwise we are as despicable as the legislators we rail against. We need to debate all opinions, and then work to align all gun-owners to a common agenda. We've got to take the high road and not take the bait. Once you resort to an emotional flame response, you have lost the argument even if to are 100% correct.

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead."
- Thomas Paine, The Crisis