Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 08-31-2017, 4:40 PM

Default Keymod vs M-lock

I tried the search option before starting this thread assuming this topic has been talked to death . How ever no specific threads came up when using this title in the search option .

Why is one better then the other . Other then the fact that Magpul went to M-lock which pretty much makes M-lock VHS and Keymod beta . Is one better then the other and why ?

It's my understanding one will give a better return to zero if removed and then reinstalled but I don't remember which one that is . I'm asking because I'll likely be buying multiple rail systems in the next year or two and it only makes sense to use all of the same type . I have one keymod now and don't want to get to heavily invested in them if they are ultimately going to be fazed out of the market .

Thanks Metal

Anyone else find it sad that those who preach tolerance CAN'T allow the existence, occurrence, or practice of (something that they do not necessarily like or agree with) without interference.

I write almost everything in a jovial manner regardless of content . If that's not how you took it please try again
Old 08-31-2017, 4:48 PM
Veteran Member

Mlok is better. Keymod is dead. US Military tested it.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/w...-vs-KeyMod.pdf
Old 08-31-2017, 4:50 PM
retired Goon

Previous thread on this topic.

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).
Old 08-31-2017, 4:51 PM
retired Goon

2017: US SOCOM testing M-Lok vs Keymod

Naval Surface Warfare Center – Crane tested the M-Lok and the Keymod. Conclusion = M-Lok is better.

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).

Last edited by Quiet; 08-31-2017 at 4:55 PM..
Old 08-31-2017, 5:14 PM

Thanks guys M-lock it is , Where's my easy button because that was simple and painless .

Anyone else find it sad that those who preach tolerance CAN'T allow the existence, occurrence, or practice of (something that they do not necessarily like or agree with) without interference.

I write almost everything in a jovial manner regardless of content . If that's not how you took it please try again
Old 08-31-2017, 5:19 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal God View Post
Thanks guys M-lock it is , Where's my easy button because that was simple and painless .
Its located at the search function
Old 08-31-2017, 6:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CouchOperator View Post
Its located at the search function
Charming.
Old 08-31-2017, 7:30 PM

The search engine for this site sucks imho . Im not a computer guy but I'd think if you enter keymod vs m-lock and search title only . That should pull up any thread with any combination of those words in the title . Well it didn't, so im here .

Old 08-31-2017, 7:43 PM
retired Goon

Quote:
The search engine for this site sucks imho . Im not a computer guy but I'd think if you enter keymod vs m-lock and search title only . That should pull up any thread with any combination of those words in the title . Well it didn't, so im here .
Using the advance search options and the CGN Google Search (link at top of page) helps with searching for topics on this forum.

Old 08-31-2017, 7:50 PM

Doesn't really matter. 99.99999999999999999% of people on this site only use their ARs' for punching paper anyways and showing them off to their shooting buddies.
Old 08-31-2017, 8:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDW67 View Post
Doesn't really matter. 99.99999999999999999% of people on this site only use their ARs' for punching paper anyways and showing them off to their shooting buddies.
Or sit in the safe for a rainy day...
Old 08-31-2017, 8:16 PM

Thanks Quiet that helped a lot , well that and me actually spelling M-lok correctly

JDW67 : I do more then punch paper I also hang tunes of useless stuff from my free float rail . Like a light when I'm shooting in the middle of the day . My QD sling mounts even though I can't afford the sling and I've almost got my patient for a rail mount poop bag holder for little missy so I'd be careful who you try to judge over there

Old 08-31-2017, 8:53 PM

M lok Noveske or Geissele handguards.
Old 08-31-2017, 9:55 PM

Quote:
JDW67 : I do more then punch paper :
Really??? What do you do than more then punch paper??? Several cops I know, they only punch paper with their AR's...
Old 08-31-2017, 10:02 PM

LMAO , did you not read my whole completely sarcastic post

GO AWAY AND DON'T COME BACK UNTIL YOU GET A SENSE OF HUMOR

Where's Stilly when you need him . I bet he'd think that was funny !!! oh man,,, I crack my self up

Last edited by Metal God; 08-31-2017 at 10:05 PM..
Old 08-31-2017, 10:04 PM

Quote:
LMAO , did you not read my whole completely sarcastic post

GO AWAY AND DON'T COME BACK UNTIL YOU GET A SENSE OF HUMOR
Nope, didn't read it. So, you don't do anything but punching paper or not???
Old 08-31-2017, 10:19 PM
Veteran Member

Other ways you can punch paper -

No but really, rails (both MLOK and Keymod) have available picatinny rails to use existing accessories. Some quality accessories are equipped with a removable base that can be swapped out to suit different rail types as well.
my gun shoots better with shiny brass...plus not only does the shiny brass make me look like a pimp at the range if the sun catches it just right it blinds the guy next to me which improves my odds of winning the match.
Quote:
Originally Posted by XDJYo View Post
Full size. Stubbies are for sissies.
Old 08-31-2017, 10:21 PM

Quote:
He rings the steel with it as well
Old 08-31-2017, 11:11 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Huh?

Buy the keymod, can probably get it for cheaper than the m-lok!!

When are you ever going to do anything severe to the rifle, let's be honest here.

Who cares what their testing says, I'm not going to do that to the rifle.
Old 09-01-2017, 5:43 AM

Quote:
Doesn't really matter. 99.99999999999999999% of people on this site only use their ARs' for punching paper anyways
Quote:
Several cops I know only punch paper with their AR's
Fine lets play . Actually 99.9% of people not just on this site only punch paper based on your logic . What it appears you are saying is if you carry an AR on duty and never shot at or into someone , all you do with it is punch paper .

I mean your whole premise is bass acwards really . Using that same logic . Pretty much anyone that owns a firearm only punches paper so why bother considering any upgrades that may help in any circumstance other then punching paper .

Why have a light on your SD/HD firearm . The odds of you needing the light little lone the firearm it self is almost zero or to use your number 99.99999999999999% chance you'll never need either for SD/HD .

You know we should just sell all are guns now because the chance we'll ever really need them is .000000000001% so why even have them ?

Oh and to actually answer your question . Yes , to date I've only punched paper just like the vast majority of folks in the military and just about every cop .

Last edited by Metal God; 09-01-2017 at 5:54 AM..
Old 09-01-2017, 7:16 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I only punch paper with mine, so what's the ****ing problem with that? Let me guess, you're the .000000000000000001% of Calguns that spends thousands of dollars on super duper tacticool training for that .000000000000000001% chance that you'll ever need to use that training
Old 09-01-2017, 7:23 AM

Don't forget when doing that thousands of dollars of training . You are only punching paper . So you don't need those upgrades there either .

Old 09-01-2017, 8:05 AM

Yeah I think this whole M-Lock vs Keymod debate is bull****. There is no "best". There is only what is best FOR YOU. No one way is best for everyone. Plus, we need to stop looking to the military for what gun gear to buy. Just buy what you want and stop letting others dictate to you what is "best".
Old 09-01-2017, 8:41 AM
I need a LIFE!!

I punch paper only because it is illegal to punch people.
Old 09-01-2017, 8:43 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Don't forget when doing that thousands of dollars of training . You are only punching paper . So you don't need those upgrades there either .
Funny, I didn't read your prior post before I posted. Sounds like we're on the same page here
Old 09-01-2017, 9:08 AM
Veteran Member

Hey, I shoot steel too, I don't just punch paper

https://algdefense.com/ergonomic-mod...-v1-m-lok.html is what I'd go with for a reasonably priced high quality rail, if you don't need a front sight (I'm forgetting if you can attach a rail section on top).

https://algdefense.com/ergonomic-mod...-v2-m-lok.html is what I'd go with if you want to run a front sight
Old 09-01-2017, 9:11 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Keymod is not dead, contrary to what people have said here and other places. It is dead in the eyes of the military, NOT SO on the commercial market. Brand new firearms continue to be released using Keymod.

MLock is hardly used in the commercial market because Magpul demands royalties, they own the patent.

And honestly, both work. I've used both, they both work fine. If they're not working for you, you're the problem, not it. That said, I personally like how MLock looks better. Keymod looks.... eh. But that's just personal flavor. Both function fine for my intended purposes.... which is running and gunning, self defense, and just plinking fun. I'm not in a warzone, nor are any of us held to the scrutiny of the bureaucratic nightmare that is military purchasing.

For NOW, Keymod is the smarter choice, i.e. much more variety on the market. Perhaps in the future, MLock will take the lead.
"Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus." - Philippians 4:6-7

"Liberty, as well as honor, man ought to preserve at the hazard of his life, for without it life is insupportable." - Miguel de Cervantes

Let your desires and emotions be ruled by reason.
Old 09-01-2017, 9:13 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
LOOK OUT WE GOT OURSELVES AN OPERATOR!
Old 09-01-2017, 9:14 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimi Jah View Post
I punch paper only because it is illegal to punch people.
Damn jah, that's Sig worthy in all its glory
Quote:
Originally Posted by elpaisa1 View Post
I think flatulence is a more serious crime. I think it should be a misdemeanor with a 1000 dollar fine or 6 months of jail. It should be a felony if done near an open flame.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euphoria526 View Post
I'm so awesome, I think I'll quote myself
Old 09-01-2017, 9:27 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanthippus View Post
Keymod is not dead, contrary to what people have said here and other places. It is dead in the eyes of the military, NOT SO on the commercial market. Brand new firearms continue to be released using Keymod.

MLock is hardly used in the commercial market because Magpul demands royalties, they own the patent.

And honestly, both work. I've used both, they both work fine. If they're not working for you, you're the problem, not it. That said, I personally like how MLock looks better. Keymod looks.... eh. But that's just personal flavor. Both function fine for my intended purposes.... which is running and gunning, self defense, and just plinking fun. I'm not in a warzone, nor are any of us held to the scrutiny of the bureaucratic nightmare that is military purchasing.

For NOW, Keymod is the smarter choice, i.e. much more variety on the market. Perhaps in the future, MLock will take the lead.
While MLok is patented, Magpul lets other companies use it free.

Q: Is the M-LOK design patented?
A: The M-LOK system is patent pending, however, this is only to protect against similar
systems and counterfeits causing incompatibility and confusion in the marketplace.
The system will remain free and open for all to use, providing items are built within the
published standards.
Old 09-01-2017, 9:29 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkie View Post
While MLok is patented, Magpul lets other companies use it free.

Q: Is the M-LOK design patented?
A: The M-LOK system is patent pending, however, this is only to protect against similar
systems and counterfeits causing incompatibility and confusion in the marketplace.
The system will remain free and open for all to use, providing items are built within the
published standards.
Ah. I stand corrected. I might have read some misinformation before then.
"Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus." - Philippians 4:6-7

"Liberty, as well as honor, man ought to preserve at the hazard of his life, for without it life is insupportable." - Miguel de Cervantes

Let your desires and emotions be ruled by reason.
Old 09-01-2017, 1:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefly416 View Post
Yeah I think this whole M-Lock vs Keymod debate is bull****. There is no "best". There is only what is best FOR YOU. No one way is best for everyone. Plus, we need to stop looking to the military for what gun gear to buy. Just buy what you want and stop letting others dictate to you what is "best".
Yep

Both systems work and are readily available.

Just because "the military uses it" rarely equates to "the best". Folks need to stop using the military as a reason to buy anything.

* I would take my Kuiu and Sitka hunting gear any day over military issue.
* I will keep my Kenetrek boots.
* Military camping gear sucks.
* My precision rifles are far better than anything the military issues.
* I have many ARs that are better quality than what Colt sells the military.
* I shoot far better bullets than the military uses.
* Most of my pistols are better than a Beretta M9.
* This list could go on for days and include everything from sunglasses to ink pens.

Point is; most of us have the luxury of living outside the confines and limitations of the military bureaucracy, so why try to emulate it?

Get what you like regardless of what the military thinks. You can usually do better.
Old 09-01-2017, 3:00 PM

Never mind , should have never wrote it . Mob mentality I guess

Last edited by Metal God; 09-01-2017 at 6:50 PM..
Old 09-01-2017, 4:20 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

That test is retarded.
Who mounts and dismounts keymod or Mlock for optic use? Or even laser.

Both work and will never have issues if the user makes up his mind where the rails or accessory goes and red locks it tight & properly.
A lot of attachments are rails anyway so I fail to see the need to move them around once attached

Some keymod attachments are better then others, some have build it locking/recoil lug some do not.
Buy the right gear, make up your mind where you want it and leave it alone, I'm sure you won't have problems with neither.

Last edited by FiveSeven; 09-01-2017 at 5:07 PM..
Old 09-01-2017, 7:20 PM

I haven't had any experiences with MLok yet, so I no comment on that.. But I have 2 rifles that has KeyMod rail system, I don't care what anyone say about it, I like it, it's SOLID for my use.. Just like FiveSeven said, "Make up your mind where you want it and LEAVE IT ALONE".. Plain and Simple lol
Old 09-01-2017, 7:48 PM

My thinking on put it where you want it and leave it alone goes back to my sarcastic post above about having a light mounted on the rifle when at the range around noon . Or a laser , lets say you want it on the rifle along with the light at home for SD/HD . How ever when you go to the range you don't need either do to the type of shooting you'll be doing that day or just don't want the extra weight to lug around all day . Seems reasonable to me .

What if you only have one of something that you want to rotate from firearm to firearm ? I see guys saying they do this with $2k scopes because they can't afford to buy a quality scope for every rifle . I think there are many reasons one may be removing and installing mounts . I've got a similar dilemma going on with me right now . I bought a large safe and now all my firearms are no longer in my bedroom to grab quick if something goes bump in the night . So now I have one of those small gun vaults that pops open with a combo in my room . Well now I never take that firearm out and shoot because it's where I want it and I'm leaving it there . I'm actually considering buying another one just to take shooting rather then constantly loading and unloading that gun every time I want to go shoot . I would not need the light I have on it either when out plinking . The light thing is not an issue really but the point is the same . Sometimes you don't want to take all that crap to the range and removing it from the firearm to make for a better range trip would be best .

Anyways that's my thoughts on that .

Last edited by Metal God; 09-01-2017 at 8:06 PM..
Old 09-01-2017, 7:56 PM

Quote:
My thinking on put where you want it and leave it alone goes back to my sarcastic post above about having a light mounted on the rifle when at the range around noon . Or a laser , lets say you want it on the rifle along with the light at home for SD/HD . How ever when you go to the range you don't need either do to the type of shooting you'll be doing or just don't want the extra weight to lug around all day .

What if you only have one of something that you want to rotate from firearm to firearm

oops I'm still writing , I clicked submit accidentally .
I don't know about others but, me personally I'd like to have all my rigs with its own WeaponLight, so I don't need/want to swap from rifle to rifle, I do agree on the weight being added or at the range during noon not using it, kinda got over that and just went with it, it doesn't bother me at all..
Old 09-01-2017, 8:02 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanthippus View Post

Yea lemme know how many HD DVDs you own.
Old 09-01-2017, 10:01 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varg Vikernes View Post
Yea lemme know how many HD DVDs you own.
Who own's any DVD's anymore?

Apples and hand grenades.

As to taking flashlights and lasers on/off etc..... If your accessory rail, be it Mlock or Keymod is locked at a specific place, then flashlight or laser can be attached or reattached without the need to actually remove the rail from the handguard.
Optics should be mounted on the top rail -receiver, not on Keymod rail.

Last edited by FiveSeven; 09-01-2017 at 10:06 PM..
Old 09-01-2017, 11:21 PM

Correct answer is "quad rail."