Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Survival and Preparations
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Survival and Preparations Long and short term survival and 'prepping'.

Old 03-15-2013, 7:08 AM
In Memoriam

Default Heads up for an excellent water filter

The Sawyer Squeeze is at a low price right now through Amazon $39
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Usually runs $59 and can be found for about $50 in some places. It's an excellent BOB or GHB filter. Google it, read the reviews, then decide if it'll work for you. They have adapters to place the filter inline of your hydration pack as well.

I have the Katadyn Pocket for the house, but picked this up for the car bag.

Technical info-
Quote:
All Sawyer filters deliver 0.1 absolute micron biological filtration, removing 7 log (99.99999%) of all bacteria like Salmonella, E. coli, Vibrio cholerae and Salmonella typhi (which cause Cholera and Typhoid); and 6 log (99.9999%) of all protozoa such as Giardia and Cryptosporidium
Life Expectancy: 1 Million Gallons Guaranteed.
Old 03-15-2013, 7:53 AM
Banned

Just one heads up on this or any "hollow fiber filter". If it freezes and there is ANY water in it the filter will be ruined and you wont know it. Large cracks will destroy the mini-tubes and allow larger contamination to pass though.

But if you plan to use this in warmer climates its a great filter.

"The filter documentation mentions a warning I found notable for a piece of backpacking gear. It states never to store the filter cartridge in temperatures below freezing, as freezing will permanently damage the filter fibers. My research into hollow fiber filter media suggests that this is a common problem for this type of filter. MSR recommends storing the filter where it is unlikely to freeze if freezing temperatures are anticipated (e.g. in the hikers tent or if necessary in the sleeping bag)."
Old 03-15-2013, 8:12 AM
In Memoriam

That is a good consideration for cold weather since you can't get all the water out of the filter. Can be packed close to the body or in a tent to keep from freezing. I believe the same concerns for freezing apply to ceramic filters as well.
Old 03-15-2013, 9:01 AM
Banned

From the reviews it seems you pay your money and you take your chance with it. It either works great or you have defects/issues that the company ignores. It also seems to break pretty easy for something you are betting your health on.

Last edited by Steve_In_29; 03-17-2013 at 10:51 AM..
Old 03-15-2013, 9:27 AM
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_In_29 View Post
From the reviews it seems you pay your money and you take your chance with it. It either works great or you ha e defects/issues that the company ignores. It also seems to break pretty easy for something you are betting your health on.
My understanding is that the bag issues at the start of this product run were inferior and that has been corrected?
Not arguing your point, but isn't that the true with anything survival related item? It's all about redundancy. One should never rely on just one, or sometimes two, ways to get drinkable water, (or fire, or..). Especially with so many different scenarios you may end up in.

In my case, I carry some water in the car. Is it enough to get by on? Hopefully, but I also understand that there may be a chance we may need more. So with that in mind I chose this product.
Old 03-15-2013, 9:43 AM

My local walmart has it with only a single 1ltr pouch for $30. But since the threading is standard you can use a 16 oz waterbottle up to a 2liter bottle. The platapus bladders sold at REI may or may not work. The threads are slightly different while some people can get it to work, it leaks for others YMMV. Evernew bags are reported to fit perfectly.

It's as durable as any other water filter. To test the integrity, just try to blow air through the filter. The fibers after being wet will pass water, but not air.

Last edited by autoduel; 03-15-2013 at 11:55 AM..
Old 03-15-2013, 10:08 AM

Just got one, I didnt have a water filter and was looking for something low cost. Thanks!
Old 03-15-2013, 11:05 AM
Janitors Mop
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Interesting product!
Old 03-15-2013, 5:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk1 View Post
That is a good consideration for cold weather since you can't get all the water out of the filter. Can be packed close to the body or in a tent to keep from freezing. I believe the same concerns for freezing apply to ceramic filters as well.

Yep and I learned that the hard way. Using water filters in winter time is a PITA! I was hiking up to Whitney in OCT and my ceramic filter froze. One pump and BAM the side of the housing cracked and I had no water. I did not bring enough fuel to melt snow so I had to hike back to my car. I guess the only difference is with a ceramic you know you have a problem and with the hollow fiver you just get sick a week later or the next day.
Old 03-16-2013, 10:29 PM
Veteran Member

http://www.amazon.com/German-Army-Em...y+water+filter

I just picked up a 200 gallon filter for $20. Never tried it out, but it is in my EDC just in case.

Any feedback is appreciated!
Old 03-17-2013, 10:59 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk1 View Post
My understanding is that the bag issues at the start of this product run were inferior and that has been corrected?
Not arguing your point, but isn't that the true with anything survival related item? It's all about redundancy. One should never rely on just one, or sometimes two, ways to get drinkable water, (or fire, or..). Especially with so many different scenarios you may end up in.

In my case, I carry some water in the car. Is it enough to get by on? Hopefully, but I also understand that there may be a chance we may need more. So with that in mind I chose this product.
Besides the bag issues several reviewers mentioned it cracking when simply dropped and other failures. When 1/3 of the reviews are "bad" it doesn't bode well for the products usefulness when life depends on it. If it breaks when you need it, consoling yourself with how much money you saved on the purchase won't keep you hydrated. If you want cheap, small and reliable then simply bring water purification tablets.