Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 07-20-2019, 6:23 AM

Default Colt M4A1 In California?

Hello all;
Iím looking to purchase a Colt M4A1 complete lower to go with my colt socom 14.5 upper. I really like the one that says ďProperty of US GOVTĒ on it. Does anyone know the legality of those? I thought they were good to go here but I see a lot of the people who have them wonít ship to CA. Maybe because they donít want to support us communist-state-dwelling gun lovers, or maybe itís just because they know it is not compliant.

Another short question - am I good to go by shipping a complete lower to CA in standard form without a mag lock or a featureless setup? I tried searching the forums but the only ones I saw were prior to 2017 so I donít know how much has changed since then.

Thanks again for your time.
Old 07-20-2019, 8:51 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

as for the lower, many places won't ship a complete just because it is their policy. it is not illegal to ship a complete lower into the state. you can buy a complete lower from a dealer here without any issue.

Colt AR-15 (all)
Colt Law Enforcement (6920)
Colt Match Target (all)
Colt Sporter (all)

are specifically banned
Old 07-20-2019, 9:00 AM

Or just make your own

Sent from my SM-G930VC using Tapatalk
Old 07-20-2019, 9:42 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Good to go if you find one as a receiver and bring it in. Rare but out there, that is why this sport/hobby is fun as you can hunt to find one!

CGF Contributor
NRA Endowment Life Member, CRPA Life Member
Beretta 90 series, GLOCK (Gen 1-5, G42/43), Colt AR15/M16/M4, Sig P320, Remington 870, HK UMP Factory Armorer
Remington Nylon, 1911, HK, Ruger Armorer just for fun!
Old 07-20-2019, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajaxx View Post
Or just make your own

Sent from my SM-G930VC using Tapatalk

Did you rollmark those yourself ?
I think Iím more interested in ordering the correct complete lower because I have the true colt complete upper.
Old 07-20-2019, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911su16b870 View Post
Good to go if you find one as a receiver and bring it in. Rare but out there, that is why this sport/hobby is fun as you can hunt to find one!

Yeah I love the hobby. Spend a lot of money on it, but also to ensure I get exactly what I want. Iím hoping my recently acquired colt 14.5 upper will be able to find a mate. The ones I see on Calguns are a little spendy but itíll be worth it in the end
Old 07-20-2019, 7:48 PM

Isn't colt and armalite banned by name?

"Cross your feet! Kneel down! Stand up! Crawl! Right hand in! Left foot out! You're a little teapot! YOU'RE A LITTLE TEAPOT!"
Old 07-20-2019, 8:31 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Colt AR-15s are not banned by name. A few variations are but not all of them.
Old 07-21-2019, 12:45 AM

I bought my Colt M4A1 marked lower on here. I’ll try and get a pic for you. I also built a clone so I spent the money for the markings. Pretty rare lower. Don’t see them to often
Old 07-21-2019, 1:49 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunBuggy View Post
I think I’m more interested in ordering the correct complete lower because I have the true colt complete upper.
Banned by name. (edit: guess not banned by name, learn something new every day. OK, but still painful to find and still not truly authentic, I am sure)

I'm in the same boat. I have a milsurp M16A1 of some flavor I got as a complete upper plus buttstock/buffer plus grip. Just needed lower and parts kit.

I'd love a proper lower, but I didn't even bother to try. I simply made one out of an 80, sprayed it with alumahyde, and off I went.

I did this years ago, when it was still legal to do so. Today, I'd probably just go buy a cheap stripped or complete lower, or whatever was legal to buy today, strip the lower, spray it alumahyde dark park grey, and reassemble.
Old 07-21-2019, 10:45 AM
Calguns Addict

You can get the PSA pseudo-govt lower, but it doesn't say Colt.

Old 07-28-2019, 10:15 AM

Yes you can get them. I’ve been on the same boat building an M4, M4A1 alike. You can get the Colt “M4 CARBINE” (easily just the strip lower receiver or the complete lower plenty of seller out there... & “PROPERTY OF U.S. GOV. M4A1 CARBINE” you can get it easily BUT as a complete rifle since it’s impossible to find one some parting those out. Just need to spend more $money$ and research and communicating to the out of state sellers... I got multiple, and that’s how I got mine.
Old 07-28-2019, 11:01 AM

https://charliescustomclones.com/parts/lower-receivers/
Old 08-02-2019, 9:38 PM

Just to update everybody- I got my US property marked colt complete lower. They don’t sell them just as lowers so it must have been taken apart from a complete colt socom m4a1. It showed up at my FFL today and I checked it out and it was legit. Completed the DROS and 10 days later I’ll be able to complete my build. So just so you guys know it IS possible, it’s NOT banned by name, and it still came with the factory colt sticky funky coating they put on all of their guns before they leave the factory. Reminds me of when I got my first 6920 and i kept wondering “why the hell is this thing so sticky?”. 5 colts later and it’s kind of a signature for them as far as I’ve seen

Last edited by GunBuggy; 08-02-2019 at 9:41 PM..
Old 08-02-2019, 10:53 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPimping View Post
Colt AR-15s are not banned by name.
A few variations are but not all of them.
Colt AR-15 absolutely is banned by name.

Quote:
Colt AR-15 (all)
Colt Law Enforcement (6920)
Colt Match Target (all)
Colt Sporter (all)
The (all) can be ignored, but you would be hard pressed to consider an AR-15A2 to be legal because it STARTS with AR-15 which is specifically banned.

You are best to buy models that do NOT specifically have models names partially matching banned models.
The Elite Hbar is NOT banned.
The M4 Carbine is NOT banned.
Old 08-03-2019, 8:38 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunBuggy View Post
Just to update everybody- I got my US property marked colt complete lower. They donít sell them just as lowers so it must have been taken apart from a complete colt socom m4a1. It showed up at my FFL today and I checked it out and it was legit. Completed the DROS and 10 days later Iíll be able to complete my build. So just so you guys know it IS possible, itís NOT banned by name, and it still came with the factory colt sticky funky coating they put on all of their guns before they leave the factory. Reminds me of when I got my first 6920 and i kept wondering ďwhy the hell is this thing so sticky?Ē. 5 colts later and itís kind of a signature for them as far as Iíve seen
Congrats! This sport is so fun when you find that item you've been searching for. Now for the conversion into the item you want!!!

CGF Contributor
NRA Endowment Life Member, CRPA Life Member
Beretta 90 series, GLOCK (Gen 1-5, G42/43), Colt AR15/M16/M4, Sig P320, Remington 870, HK UMP Factory Armorer
Remington Nylon, 1911, HK, Ruger Armorer just for fun!
Old 08-03-2019, 9:29 AM
Veteran Member

Going for a clone huh?

my gun shoots better with shiny brass...plus not only does the shiny brass make me look like a pimp at the range if the sun catches it just right it blinds the guy next to me which improves my odds of winning the match.
Quote:
Originally Posted by XDJYo View Post
Full size. Stubbies are for sissies.