Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Ammo and Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ammo and Reloading Factory Ammunition, Reloading, Components, Load Data and more.

Old 03-27-2016, 3:51 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor/Vendor
CGN Contributor

Just continually trying to get as much of this stuff as possible and charge less than the prices I have been paying for years. When I think I am doing o.k. and hear of even slight unsatisfaction I like to discuss it. Trust me I hardly make anything off all this. Biggest payment is seeing guys getting hard to find powder for not too much of a price and them walking away satisfied. By me taking it personal and caring is why our business has lasted as long as it has. BTW if Hodgdon someday will deal directly with me [ I try 4 times a year] prices will be about $21 after tax with same profit margin. No hurt feelings here. Another btw for a previous post I like seeing vv310 in 45acp as you can get velocity down to 735fps.
Doug
Old 03-27-2016, 9:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fetterly Powders/Optics View Post
So sorry about my expensive powder prices HTLP and ELJAY[$26.61 for rifle and $23.99 for pistol or less. Just go to your lgs. cause I am sure their prices are much cheaper. BTW never had a great primer source.]. Got taxes I have to charge, shipping ,and those table costs to cover. But the thing that caught my attention was the limited selection comment HTLP. Besides 2230, 2520, and some rl's, what was lacking for you? No 8lb Vargets left? At least not on a Sunday. I had almost everything even Bullseye, Unique, Varget, etc. Let me know please.
Doug
I apologize if I offended you. I am glad to see you at the shows still selling powder and primers to those who are in need. I see you as a benefit to the community and appreciate your continued presence.

I did not say your prices were overly expensive but that they are "not TOO bad". I understand you have a business to run and understand you need to make a profit to do so. It is not the lgs that has lower prices than you but the gun clubs who likely buy in larger bulk than you due to the pooled resources of their members.

What I was needing and did not see was Accurate 2200, H322 and I did not see the Bullseye I was looking for so I apologize if it was there. I typically only buy 4 or 8 lb kegs and did not see a large selection of the larger kegs. That said, I should have mentioned there were many 1 lb bottles on the table but that I was not looking for singles.

I hope to see you at Vallejo in May.
Old 03-28-2016, 7:06 AM

Back in Oct [ ? ] I bough a pound of H110 - no one else I checked with had any .
I will probably go next month ,but I am looking for a 1911 colt [ 22lr ]
I have not been to Richmond - do they sell bullets ? I need more 25 ACP , 380 ACP and 9mm
Old 03-28-2016, 7:24 AM
Veteran Member

I don't think Richmond sells bullets. This is more like a group buy on the hazmat, but they buy stuff in advance and add a small markup. If you did a group buy or just bought a ton of powder yourself that's going to be cheapest. But it's a nice option if you want to buy smaller quantities for whatever reason.
Old 03-28-2016, 7:46 AM

Thanks , any idea of where I can buy bullets ?
Old 03-28-2016, 11:53 AM
Veteran Member

american reloader, rocky mountain reload, north east supply, xtreme. thats where i go.
Old 03-28-2016, 11:57 AM
Veteran Member

Add Bayou Bullets or BBI or Blue Bullets to those. Tons of online options depending on what you're looking for. Most of those companies will sell you 100-250 of any given type at low cost (they'll shove them in a small flat rate box) so you can try them out.
Old 03-28-2016, 12:35 PM

Thanks , I was hoping for local
American reloader, rocky mountain reload, north east supply, xtreme - all either out of stock or just have plated ones . One of them had 380 cases - I ordered another 100 . [ nieces really like the 380 - hogue grips . ]
I will go to Bayou Bullets or BBI or Blue Bullets and check them out .
Old 03-28-2016, 12:54 PM

Thanks , but Bayou Bullets or BBI or Blue Bullets are all plated / coated bullets .
I know a lot of people use them but if they foul up my 50 AE , I won't use them in the the 25 , 32 , 380 , 9mm etc [ they also mess up the 44 desert eagle ]
Old 03-28-2016, 1:02 PM
Veteran Member

So you're looking for FMJ only then?

http://montanagoldbullet.com
Old 03-28-2016, 1:31 PM

Yes , thanks , I ordered 200 JHP [ 380 . ]
Old 03-28-2016, 1:33 PM

Yes , thanks , I ordered 200 hollow points [ jacketed ]
Old 03-28-2016, 1:44 PM

dkonrai
Thanks , safari is messing UP
rocky mountain reloading only had plated others out of stock , but they did have 380 ACP cases - I ordered 100 .
Old 03-28-2016, 3:55 PM

I just bought some 124gr JHP from Precision Delta. I think they're the cheapest FMJ/JHP you can buy as long as you're willing to buy 2k at a time.
Old 03-28-2016, 4:21 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor/Vendor
CGN Contributor

I use a lot of Zero bullets. Are jacketed and reasonably priced.
Doug
Old 05-14-2016, 7:40 PM

usi still is carrying reloading supplies for rifle and pistol.

they are now stored in the club house up at the shotgun range.
Old 05-14-2016, 8:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wfobase View Post
usi still is carrying reloading supplies for rifle and pistol.

they are now stored in the club house up at the shotgun range.
That is the same place reloading supplies were stored/sold before the rifle and pistol ranges were closed. Loaded pistol and rifle ammunition was stored/sold at the public range booth.
Old 06-23-2016, 11:57 AM

Any meetings or someone help me learn to reload im in WC area?

If no free meetings id pay higher % for a split buy or for your time. I dont want things blowing up on me lol. I googled and watched some videos but dont want to buy a bunch of crap tools or materials etc. Looking to do reloads for 5.56/223

Send me a pm if theres anything i can get involved with. Zero experience loading.
Old 06-23-2016, 12:13 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR805 View Post
Any meetings or someone help me learn to reload im in WC area?

If no free meetings id pay higher % for a split buy or for your time. I dont want things blowing up on me lol. I googled and watched some videos but dont want to buy a bunch of crap tools or materials etc. Looking to do reloads for 5.56/223

Send me a pm if theres anything i can get involved with. Zero experience loading.

Welcome to the club!!!

I'm in Martinez and have about 10 minutes more experience than you. Hahaha! I'm in the same boat and would like an experienced eye watching over me. I've done about 50 rounds of 45 acp.

Respond here if you get any help or organize anything.

Thanks and happy shooting and be safe.
M&P 15 (Mine)
Old 06-23-2016, 3:25 PM

If no one answers , I would suggest getting a Lee hand loader . It is the easiest way to learn .
About 35 dollars on ebay
http://www.ebay.com/itm/LEE-90232-CL...YAAOSwoudW9JUt .
1st , go to either Amazon or ebay and buy 2 or 3 reloading manuals and read them before you buy anything .
To me / for me a single stage would be next . I went to a progressive [ Lee Loader master - it will do rifle cartridges and Lee sells all calibers ]
223 = 556 except 556 about 90% of time is military and has crimped primers - hard to remove and primer pocket needs to be reamed .
Old 06-24-2016, 9:15 PM

more than happy to meet up and help out. Pm me if you would like help
Old 06-24-2016, 10:16 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghettojet View Post
more than happy to meet up and help out. Pm me if you would like help

Awesome Ghettojet. I just may take you up on that in the near future!
M&P 15 (Mine)
Old 07-06-2016, 9:07 PM

Anyone interested in a get together sometime this weekend?
Old 07-06-2016, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghettojet View Post
Anyone interested in a get together sometime this weekend?
Unfortunately I'm busy this weekend, SCVRC is having their annual picnic down at Coyote Valley Sporting Clays.

From my cold dead end mill...
Old 07-07-2016, 6:52 AM
Veteran Member

I would be happy to help beginning reloadedrs as time allows.

Call him run-like-hell-when-shtf-guy or dial-911-guy but NEVER call an unarmed man "Security".
Old 07-19-2016, 2:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwalker View Post
I would be happy to help beginning reloadedrs as time allows.

Where are you located? I would be interested and live in Oakland. Have yet to jump into reloading but with all the nonsense going on in Sac. I think it's time to pick up a new skill.

Thanks in advance

-Cee
Old 08-08-2016, 1:40 PM

just stumbled on this thread. i havent been able to read all of it yet. are there still local, in person meet ups? i just spent ~$700 on a Lee turret setup + some peripherals. i have some brass saved up and would like to get some beginner instruction/tips. i also think i may be missing a few components, like a caliper and the case cutter/champer tools.

i have some die sets for pistol and rifle. I would like to reload common pistol rounds, 223, and 308. is there a "do everything" powder that i can use for both or do i have to buy some powder for pistol and another powder for rifle?
Old 08-08-2016, 1:51 PM
Veteran Member

There were never any regular meetings that I'm aware of.

You'll need some calipers. For trimming/chamfer you only need that for rifle and I'd get settled in on the pistol side first before worrying about it if only because there are all the extra brass prep steps and it's good to get one caliber nailed down before attacking the next anyway.

There's one or two powders that can be used for some specific rifle/pistol combos but nothing general purpose. There are barely general purpose rifle powders.

For pistol it's pretty easy - popular general purpose powders include N320, Unique, Titegroup, Bullseye.

For rifle you could run those two calibers on IMR 4895 if you ran heavier 223 bullets - 65-77 grain for best results. Some people run both calibers with H335, BL-C(2), Varget, TAC, but I don't know if there would be any bullet weight compromises you would have to make in either caliber.

Obviously you'll be buying an assortment of primers as well.
Old 08-08-2016, 7:06 PM
Calguns Addict

Load up on components is the best advice I could give you. Settle in on a caliber or two that you want to load. Scour the net for deals and group buys. Primers, bullets and powder. Brass should be easy to score if you're good about policing your brass.
M&P 15 (Mine)
Old 08-09-2016, 6:13 AM

fuzz415 -
Powder wise , I use Hodgdon H 110 , and HP 38 . Recently I started useing CFE and CFE 223 . H110 is for magnum and the CFE is for regular pistols .
All are ball powders - so meter well .
Primer wise - CCI magnum and regular - they come in small and regular .
Bullet wise - I only use jacketed - no leading up of barrels . [ CFE powder helps clean copper from barrels ]
Cases - range brass - if I buy - starlight . Don't even pick up steel cases .
Caliper wise , just get a digital one from harbor freight .
Buy a couple of primer pins - you will break them .
BTW - most rifle dies come in a set of 2 . Not designed for a turret / progressive press .
I end up buying either 2 or 3 sets . I decap and reprime off press [ Lee load master ]
Lee sells a large and small powder dies . Small - 223 to maybe 308 .
Large- 30 to 50 caliber .
I would suggest you get a Lee reloading manual - it is not the best , but explains their press better . [ To me Speer is best for reloading - but all have something others don't ]
Old 08-09-2016, 8:49 AM

Thank you for the input. i will begin gathering more supplies. i went thru my box and currently i have:

- Lee precision turret press kit - the kit contains:
The kit includes the Pro Auto-Disk powder measure and riser, perfect for all handgun and small rifle cartridges. Large and Small Safety Primeare included making on press priming an ease. Instant change turret makes changing calibers a snap. Deactivate the auto-index and batch load the longest and largest rifle cartridges. Complementing your press kit are the case conditioning tools to prepare your brass for loading. Includes Cutter, Lock Stud, Chamfer Tool, small and large Primer Pocket Cleaner, and a tube of Lee case sizing lube. Complete it with the cartridge specific Case Length Gauge. Verify your loads with the included Lee Safety powder scale. Completing the kit is Modern Reloading Second Edition recently revised with all new load data covering 167 cartridges with over 28,000 loads

- Lymans 49th edition handbook
- Frankfort tumbler kit
- Frankfort ez bullet puller
- lee precision pistol dies (4 pieces)
- brass

so by accounts i need to get:
- digital caliper (harbor freight)
- rifle dies sets (buy the 4 piece ultimate sets or the piece "pacesetter sets?)
- pistol powder (possibly HG38)
- rifle powder (possibly CFE223, will work for both 223 and 308)
- group buy for bullets =P
- replacement primer pins ( what is that? https://www.amazon.com/EGW-Replaceme...ds=primer+pins . what are these used for ? is this a part that goes inside one of the dies?)
- primers (cci small + large)

does that sound about right? once I secure everything, i look for friendly folks to come over for lessons =P (perhaps in exchange for coffe + reloaded bullets)?
Old 08-09-2016, 8:58 AM
Veteran Member

If you buy from Amazon they have pretty good deals on digital calipers and reloading stuff in general.

The pin you linked goes in the sizing die, that one's from EGW - they have Lee make some undersized sizing dies for them. I would normally get the ones for Lee's universal decapper which are longer and I think work in any of their dies https://www.amazon.com/Lee-Precision...J9N21QHZXBQ5E3

re: primers CCI's fine. Winchester and Federal are the other two companies people like.

re: bullets - For pistol I would be looking at coated bullets which are cheap and work really well. A lot of competitive shooters are moving over to them.

http://www.bayoubullets.net
http://www.thebluebullets.com (coupon STOEGER is 5% off)

re: powder if you're not buying locally you probably want
http://www.powdervalleyinc.com

If you can make it to Richmond Rod and Gun they sell powder and primers at a quite small markup. Ask where you pay to shoot for the clipboard that shows what they have in stock.

I'm in the east bay and have that turret press. Feel free to drop me a PM if you have followup questions.
Old 08-09-2016, 9:00 AM
Veteran Member

Oh, and these are decent https://www.amazon.com/Neiko®-01407...gital+calipers

Also you should be getting case gauges for every caliber.
Old 08-09-2016, 11:17 AM

Lee makes a 4 die set for some calibers . They should be list in reloading manual .
90995 Lee Precision Charging Die Kit . This is a set of 2 dies . Small one I use for the 25ACP, 223 and 270 . The large die [ different size hole ro dump powder into case ] I use for 30 caliber and up to the 50 .
YOU don't really need the primer pocket tools , most people don't clean . To clean you need ro remove primer .
I remove primer , clean tumble and reprime off press .
Old 08-11-2016, 9:57 PM
Calguns Addict

Just a heads up. xtremebullets is having a 10% off and Free Shipping 8/12 for 24 hours only!

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1230646

Happy shooting and be safe!
M&P 15 (Mine)
Old 08-23-2016, 7:46 PM

Just wondering if everyone here is still active, or if something came of the reloading club? I'll be in the Oakley area in January and am an avid reloader.
Old 08-23-2016, 7:53 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSballer89 View Post
Just wondering if everyone here is still active, or if something came of the reloading club? I'll be in the Oakley area in January and am an avid reloader.

Not much going on here. Too quiet.

I personally have been very busy with family responsibilities and work to do much of anything guns/reloading wise. Hoping it calms down here in a bit so I can begin to enjoy this hobby again. Body is paying a price at the moment.
M&P 15 (Mine)
Old 08-24-2016, 5:41 AM

Same here . Sister in law in hospital . Brother and nephew working so me and wife are in hospital all day .
Had a wedding and that cut into everything .
Really to busy to reload / go to range or even water plants more than every 3 rd day .
Old 08-30-2016, 7:57 PM

Hey Reloading Club Eastbay,

I wanted to stop by and say hi to everyone here! I just took the plunge and ordered a Dillon 650 setup this week and pretty excited. I'm planning to start with .38spl and 9mm. Just ordered some Berrys .38spl 125gr & 9mm 115gr. Couldn't find any small pistol primers at the LGS. As for powders I thought I'd wait for the Lymans 50th edition guide.

Any suggestions on powders for both calibers?

Any info for a noob reloading would be greatly appreciated!

-Regards
Old 08-30-2016, 9:49 PM
Calguns Addict

The last time I scored some powder and primer was around thanksgiving time last year. 10k Sellier and Bellot primers and 10 lbs of Bullseye. Still building my stash of lead. Xtremebullets and Freedom Munitions has sales on lead from time to time too. Xtremebullets just had a decent sale a few weeks ago.

Happy reloading.
M&P 15 (Mine)