Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calgunners in Service
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calgunners in Service This forum is a place for our active duty and deployed members to share, request and have a bit of home where ever they are.

Old 02-15-2011, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorrm View Post
My best advice to you is to think about going enlisted first for a couple years, to get into the field/job that you would like, and then going into Officer Candidate School after that. Get your feet on the ground and figure out what the military is all about, and how to actually be a soldier. You will earn a lot more respect from your subordinates this way, as well as be a much better leader in the long run by doing this.
Go officer first if you can. Dont waste your time on the enlisted side if you dont have to. You are older and most likely more mature than the people that will be your peer group, it get's old really really fast.
Old 02-15-2011, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drider View Post
Yes I do have the Military Police behind my mind, also I saw that the USMC has a civilian military police opportunity open, that says you need L.E background, military, or educational. I guess that is also a route?
I believe that that's a GS-5 position at entry level which basically only requires a bachelors. A lot of those law enforcement positions on the federal level are really hard to get into unless you have an in.
Old 02-15-2011, 12:50 PM
Banned

Zorrm's suggestion +1. If you make officer, you'll open doors down the road after your military career.
Old 02-15-2011, 1:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by themailman View Post
bs on your story. oh, and cool story brah.
Jealous?
Old 02-15-2011, 2:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebloodsonthewall View Post
Don't be an MP, everyone hates them.
Careful now, those are fightings words

I am a guardian of freedom
and the American way of life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by _4_ View Post
It is NOT your God given right to serve this country, it is a privilege.
Old 02-15-2011, 2:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankyle62 View Post
Go officer first if you can. Dont waste your time on the enlisted side if you dont have to. You are older and most likely more mature than the people that will be your peer group, it get's old really really fast.
This is really going to be a matter of opinion... I've been enlisted for almost 8 years now, and I wouldn't even think about going over to the officer side of the house... not for a second... and I know there are a lot of enlisted members that would whole heartedly agree with me on this.

However, just because it is right for me, and my opinion that it is right for others, doesn't necessarily mean that it is right.

One of the hardest things about getting in as an officer now is that if you are not coming over from the enlisted side, but just trying to come in from the civilian world, they really start scrutinizing you harder... GPA even comes into play really heavily now.

Quote:
Old 02-15-2011, 2:32 PM
Banned

I say do it as a last resort...here's why. The gov will use you, abuse you, and send you on your way. Pick a really kush job. Do you part, get the GI Bill and take online classes when your in and get a graduate degree.
Old 02-15-2011, 3:41 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
i think hes advising OP to learn from your mistakes

3) Saltworks M5 upper/lower set

Old 02-15-2011, 3:46 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
This is really going to be a matter of opinion... I've been enlisted for almost 8 years now, and I wouldn't even think about going over to the officer side of the house... not for a second... and I know there are a lot of enlisted members that would whole heartedly agree with me on this.

In regards to this officer thing. Can you offer any info on the IPAP @ ft.sam ?

All i know is that its 2 years , hard , extensive and requires an AA to get it. Does it really promote you to Captain and give you a Masters Degree?

Old 02-15-2011, 6:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianDavis View Post
In regards to this officer thing. Can you offer any info on the IPAP @ ft.sam ?

All i know is that its 2 years , hard , extensive and requires an AA to get it. Does it really promote you to Captain and give you a Masters Degree?
Here is as much information as I have on it:

http://www.cs.amedd.army.mil/ipap/pr...nstruction.htm

If you have any more questions, I will have to hook you up with an AMED recruiter... as that stuff is a different world from what I do.

Quote:
Old 02-15-2011, 6:25 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Here is as much information as I have on it:

http://www.cs.amedd.army.mil/ipap/pr...nstruction.htm

If you have any more questions, I will have to hook you up with an AMED recruiter... as that stuff is a different world from what I do.
The info is very generic. If you can ask your AMED recruiter for some info i would really appreciate it. As far as me talking to a recruiter my contract is already signed as a 68W and I leave in May

Old 02-15-2011, 7:20 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Call_me_Tom View Post
I would not join the military as a last resort. Join because you want to serve, not because you don't have better options. If you go in with that mentality it'll show & you won't have the respect of those you are chosen to lead.
I agree. There are so many people who want to do out of sheer desire to serve. Don't make it a backup plan.
LE is probably the same way. They both seem like careers you have to really want badly to perform well in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgseanp1 View Post
I'm not thinking he falls into this category. He may not be in shape, but I'm sure he is smart enough and morally eligible. Most people who join as a "last resort" aren't about to graduate college with a BS in a week, either.
You would be surprised. I thought I would be morally eligible too. I was wrong.

They are not granting many, if any, waivers right now. Especially not for Officers.
Old 02-15-2011, 7:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianDavis View Post
The info is very generic. If you can ask your AMED recruiter for some info i would really appreciate it. As far as me talking to a recruiter my contract is already signed as a 68W and I leave in May
I think you might have misunderstood what I was trying to say... what I was getting at was that they operate as their own entity, that operates under their own rules. When someone is interested in this sort of thing, all we do is refer them as it is a job in itself knowing these programs as opposed to the regular Army programs that are out there.

I will try and get the contact info for an AMED recruiter for you that is out in your neck of the woods.

Quote:
Old 02-15-2011, 8:21 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
I think you might have misunderstood what I was trying to say... what I was getting at was that they operate as their own entity, that operates under their own rules. When someone is interested in this sort of thing, all we do is refer them as it is a job in itself knowing these programs as opposed to the regular Army programs that are out there.

I will try and get the contact info for an AMED recruiter for you that is out in your neck of the woods.
Sorry I mis understood . Thank you for the help

Old 02-15-2011, 10:33 PM
Banned

Like before, any insight on the U.S Coast guard reserve? Fields related in L.E once I graduate next month with a C.J degree I will make a trip to a recruiter to get some 1 on 1 information. (please don't give me a crap saying "oh a C.J degree is worthless)
Old 02-16-2011, 7:42 AM

I can't do that... I'm finishing up my degree in it as well

But I do know that the CG is going to be much tougher to get into than the Army... right now all the branches are getting harder to get into. I'm sure they have some sort of MP, but I don't have much of anything on their reserves. Sorry drider.

Quote:
Old 02-16-2011, 9:35 AM
Banned

Just spoke with a recruiter from the USCG, real nice person I spoke with them asking for further information about enlisted and as a reservist. I spoke with my fam members and other pass military people they said the best thing is wait for an opening in the career field I want as a Maritime Enforcement (ME)then get in! Then if I like it go full time.
Old 02-16-2011, 12:31 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Yeah! He might pull you over for going a few KPH over the limit or give you a ticket for only waiting two seconds at a complete stop instead of five
Old 02-16-2011, 8:38 PM
Calguns Addict

I took the test a long time ago, scored a meager 95 on it, got on the bus to S. Louis to be probed and poked, and after five hours of haggling they offered me a job as a carpenters assistant. I already had a union card as a concrete finisher. I wanted to be in the infantry or artillery.

I left, finally became an engineer, and made a fair amount of loot but always wanted to be a marine because marines are the baddest boys on the block.

You do know if you join your chances of going into combat are very high?

Does your back up plan take that in to account?

I think as far as serving goes we would all like to to go Pakistan and Saudi Arabia and take on al Quida in mass, but the military is not run by generals, its run by the commander in chief and he's never going to face off against the real problem. The public just is not ready to accept WW3 yet, soon, but not yet.

You need to watch restrepo and than ask yourself just what it is we are fighting and if the brass is really ready to commit more than cannon fodder to some PR gimmick and a corrupt afgan government which has verry little support from the general population and which will collapse within 6 months of our departure.

Is that what you want to fight for?

I think until the roe's change, your just a target for taliban plinkers and road side bombers

Last edited by bubbapug1; 02-16-2011 at 8:41 PM..
Old 02-16-2011, 10:02 PM
Veteran Member

Do it. DOn't be skerred
Old 02-17-2011, 7:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbapug1 View Post
but always wanted to be a marine because marines are the baddest boys on the block.
really? I always thought the Army Rangers, Army Special Forces, Navy Seals, and USAF Pararescue received that title.

Dont enlist as a last resort. Youll hate your life. Also take into consideration the LE fields in the military dont translate over well into the civilian field. If you must enlist look into Airforce Security Forces.

Quote:
Second, it is NOT your God given right to serve this country, it is a privilege.
Old 02-17-2011, 3:24 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanAnchors View Post
You would be surprised. I thought I would be morally eligible too. I was wrong.
What exactly does this eligibility entail? I'm just curious, that's all.

"...and an old German guy said there was a bit of an unsaid joke about the Nazi salute; apparently when they clicked their heels and raised their arm up in the air in a Nazi salute, they were saying, "we're in this much s___."
Old 02-17-2011, 4:17 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rojocorsa View Post
Not being a douchebag.

Unfortunately, thats about 90% of the population.
Old 02-17-2011, 4:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rojocorsa View Post
No felonies, no drug charges of any kind (ever), no open court actions (including traffic), must be able to carry a weapon (didn't see that coming did you )... if you have too many misdemeanors it's a no go as well. A lot of things can disqualify you... it's really easy to do it.

Quote:
Old 02-17-2011, 4:34 PM

Thumbs down DON'T JOIN THE SERVICE!!!

people like this really piss me off. nothing personal, but there are alot of people who really do want to serve and you "as a last resort" "cause i cant find a real job" people take spots that could be filled by people who really want to serve.

i'm 33 about to finish my PhD and i WANT to serve. not because i cant find a job, i have a very cushy academic career ahead of me, but because i want to offer my service to my country and do my part to handle my country's business overseas before i start my academic career. i've been in school my whole life and if i dont serve now i never will.

i tried to enlist for OCS with the MC and ARMY and neither would even consider offering age waivers, even though i still have a year of eligibility left, because people like you who are either too lazy to or cant find another job are applying in droves since the economy tanked.

that is some BS!

luckily my army recruiter has me applying for SF because they are still offering age waivers based on need and QUALITY of the applicant. so God willing, i will get the opportunity to offer my service and handle our nation's business, if they do give me the age waiver.

if not at least i can start as a Capt in the reserves. in any case i'm applying to serve because i WANT to, even though that means putting my academic career on hold for a decade or more, if i am given the opportunity.

if service isnt your first choice, get off your lazy behind and find a job in the civy or LEO world, and leave the service to those of us for whom service is a 1st choice.

Old 02-17-2011, 4:37 PM

i also hate you people who serve because you want to get your 20 25 or 30 years in and retire with pension.

if money is what you want, then get a job on wall st.

you're just taking up spots that could be filled by people who actually care enough to serve their country out of loyalty and not out of a desire to get a fat paycheck till they croak.

Old 02-17-2011, 4:48 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CavTrooper View Post
A college degree doesnt make you smart...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Hated View Post
i'm 33 about to finish my PhD...
Old 02-17-2011, 4:49 PM
Banned

bobby hated, relax and focus on getting your phd.
Old 02-17-2011, 4:50 PM
Banned

DO NOT GO ENLISTED! DO NOT GO ENLISTED! DO NOT GO ENLISTED! DO NOT GO ENLISTED!

Its like applying at McDonalds and having a degree. Are all you guys on crack telling this kid to go enlisted?? Would you want to scrub toilets for an officer? Or do you want to be an officer getting your toilet scrubbed.

The bigger question is, which branch of service are you getting into? You should consider the following in the order I am presenting to you:

Air Force
Navy (they advertise that they will bring you home alive)
Army
Marine Corp

Not bagging on the marines, I was a enlisted Marine for 4 years. No matter what your job is as an enlisted Marine, you will start out as a janitor!

Also, look at the pay difference between the officer corp versus enlisted corp. What are you guys smoking????
Old 02-17-2011, 5:35 PM
Banned

^ Sounds honest.
Old 02-17-2011, 5:42 PM

Join cause you want to. Not as a last ditch effort plan. Hang in there. It's a tough market for everybody. I am a young builder with my class b general contractors license and the scene is tough right now. Trying to compete against an ever growing field of builders is tough so I'm trying to transition into home inspections. My wife is a credentialed teacher without a classroom. She is currently teaching at a preschool. Two markets that are bad at the moment but you cant give up! Put in the effort that you want your business to return to you. Market yourself and stay strong.
Old 02-17-2011, 5:46 PM

i'm relaxed and focused. and my doctorate will be done by fall.

i just think if service isnt your 1st choice because you actually want to serve your country then GTFO. chase girls or drink beers or whatever the heck floats your boat. free up spots for those of us who are dedicated and determined to handle what needs to be handled.

and yes, a college degree doesnt make you smart. i have plenty of undergrad students, little 20 something waifs who are painfully dumb. i hear them talking about going OCS when they graduate so they dont have to get a real job.

those arent the type of people i want handling our nation's business. do you?

Old 02-17-2011, 6:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drider View Post
^ Sounds honest.
Sounds like what you want to hear.
Consider the source, if he was in the Marine Corps, so be it. I have never scrubbed another man's toilet unless I was pissing and crapping in it myself and I have never been above the radar unless it was in a good light.
Sac up and do something

Ammunition Supply Point
Vacaville, CA
707-448-8662
Great Owners, nice selection of firearms!
OLL AR
Old 02-17-2011, 6:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1buc View Post
Sounds like what you want to hear.
Consider the source, if he was in the Marine Corps, so be it. I have never scrubbed another man's toilet unless I was pissing and crapping in it myself and I have never been above the radar unless it was in a good light.
Sac up and do something
What service were you in if you did not scrub toilet? The boy scouts?
Old 02-17-2011, 6:52 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Hated View Post
people like this really piss me off. nothing personal, but there are alot of people who really do want to serve and you "as a last resort" "cause i cant find a real job" people take spots that could be filled by people who really want to serve.

i'm 33 about to finish my PhD and i WANT to serve. not because i cant find a job, i have a very cushy academic career ahead of me, but because i want to offer my service to my country and do my part to handle my country's business overseas before i start my academic career. i've been in school my whole life and if i dont serve now i never will.

i tried to enlist for OCS with the MC and ARMY and neither would even consider offering age waivers, even though i still have a year of eligibility left, because people like you who are either too lazy to or cant find another job are applying in droves since the economy tanked.

that is some BS!

luckily my army recruiter has me applying for SF because they are still offering age waivers based on need and QUALITY of the applicant. so God willing, i will get the opportunity to offer my service and handle our nation's business, if they do give me the age waiver.

if not at least i can start as a Capt in the reserves. in any case i'm applying to serve because i WANT to, even though that means putting my academic career on hold for a decade or more, if i am given the opportunity.

if service isnt your first choice, get off your lazy behind and find a job in the civy or LEO world, and leave the service to those of us for whom service is a 1st choice.
your screen name fits you, obviously your not a liberal arts student

try to lighten up, there is enough hate in the world, we don't need hate on calguns, it reflects badly on the gun community.
Old 02-17-2011, 7:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsiehjohn View Post
What service were you in if you did not scrub toilet? The boy scouts?

You are inviting the standard, "Marines are dumb", line of insults here.
Please re-read my post, slowly with pronounced annunciation.....

".......I have never scrubbed another man's toilet unless I was pissing and crapping in it myself"

Everybody scrubs toilets at some point. My point was I never scrubbed a baby-faced officer's latrine. Your rant made it sound as if you were some whipping boy to a JO and have some serious butter bar envy. My past experiences have been that those guys deserved the "crap" details of cleaning another man's poop can.

Most of my ire about the OP's post is the "last resort" mentality. It's as if the OP is resigning himself to "settle" for the Military as one would settle on suicide or a fat wife. The Military is the last bastion of, in my opinion, true professionals. The last bastion of men who truly live the selfless service and love of something greater than yourself lifestyle.
If you can't understand that, Marine, I would have to say you lived life as a toilet scrubbing REMF.

Ammunition Supply Point
Vacaville, CA
707-448-8662
Great Owners, nice selection of firearms!
OLL AR
Old 02-17-2011, 7:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeprider25 View Post
really? I always thought the Army Rangers, Army Special Forces, Navy Seals, and USAF Pararescue received that title.

Dont enlist as a last resort. Youll hate your life. Also take into consideration the LE fields in the military dont translate over well into the civilian field. If you must enlist look into Airforce Security Forces.
No No No you need to go back to school and get educated the list goes as follows:

Recon Marines
Marines
Lifeguards
Navy Seals
Army Rangers
Airforce PJS
Army cooks
Army SF

Quote:
"How many more tragedies does it take before we do something,” he demanded. “How many more children have to die before this country realizes that No-Gun Zones create perfect locations for violence? You can not stop criminals and mad men with laws, you can only stop violence with the fear of armed victims."
-Alan Gottlieb
Old 02-17-2011, 7:22 PM
Banned

I apologize if you guys took my title in a different demeanor. I did not intentionally make it sound like I was looking down at the military. The military will be a solution to being career less. And If I make that choice that will be my choice.
Old 02-17-2011, 8:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsiehjohn View Post
DO NOT GO ENLISTED! DO NOT GO ENLISTED! DO NOT GO ENLISTED! DO NOT GO ENLISTED!

Its like applying at McDonalds and having a degree. Are all you guys on crack telling this kid to go enlisted?? Would you want to scrub toilets for an officer? Or do you want to be an officer getting your toilet scrubbed.
Riddle me this batman... I have 2+ years of combat experience (1 of which was as a squad leader). I have been in the Army for 8 years. He will be in charge of not only me, but the other squad leaders in my platoon. Tell me exactly what would qualify him to be my boss?

Quote:
Old 02-17-2011, 8:48 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CavTrooper View Post
Not being a douchebag.

Unfortunately, thats about 90% of the population.
I'm not a douchebag. lol.

Quote:
No felonies, no drug charges of any kind (ever), no open court actions (including traffic), must be able to carry a weapon (didn't see that coming did you )... if you have too many misdemeanors it's a no go as well. A lot of things can disqualify you... it's really easy to do it.
And to add:
If you have any disposition besides Dismissed or Not Guilty, they count as guilty.
Also, if you had to do diversion, probation, community service, or anything else to get it dismissed it counts as guilty.
Also, if you were a juvenile, that doesn't matter and it still counts against you the same.
I got in trouble as a juvenile and did a diversion to get it dropped, but I am still DQ (for now, not PDQ. They just aren't allowed to grant the waiver).