Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CALIFORNIA SHOOTING CLUBS AND ORGANIZATIONS > California Precision Rifle Club
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California Precision Rifle Club California Precision Rifle Club Forum

Closed Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 9:59 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by PistolPete75 View Post
There is a reason why each smiths have a certain type of customers.

Cheap guys are cheap guys, don't know what to tell you about that. If you want basic, it's basic.

There is also a reason why certain guys go the cheaper route. That's a whole new discussion. The guy that might not care what his rifle looks like might be the same guy that will pay his wife to clean his office.

I like the nicer stuff. I always been that way. I don't mind spending top dollar on a rig that no one has in socal. Some guys goes down the less travelled path.

There are also reasons, why people buy GAP or a top dollar Surgeon. To each his own. I personally wouldn't mind dropping $4,200 on a KMW Sentinel.
Not caring what a rifle looks like has no bearing on how the rifle or operator functions. It also has no correlation to "going the cheap route" in life. You're still not making any sense. Some guys like wasting money on the superfluous. To others, money is better spent in other arenas. And what does a wife cleaning an office have to do with anything? Oh I get it...ad hominem...when you can't rationally argue a point...wouldn't expect less... There's a difference between frugality and being cheap...its lost on you.

Some people like getting "range praise" for the looks of their rifles. They buy it. For those, ability is way down the list of importance...probably because they can't buy it.

Last edited by rksimple; 08-05-2010 at 10:10 AM..
Old 08-05-2010, 10:18 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
I personally wouldn't mind dropping $4,200 on a KMW Sentinel. Would it hold it's value, cause people would value it to be a high end rig? Food for thought. I personally like it again, cause it one bad axx rig that I would love to shoot. Plus, it sure would have one hell of a good resale value. No other rig that comes close to it in functionality or looks.
My Sentinel stock is inletted for my surgeon action.
Just waiting for the Bartlein barrels to come in and that will probably be my main gun forever more.

AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
Barrel, sight and trigger work on most pistols and shotguns.
Most work performed while-you-wait, evening and saturday appointments available.
Old 08-05-2010, 10:19 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar15barrels View Post
My Sentinel stock is inletted for my surgeon action.
Just waiting for the Bartlein barrels to come in and that will probably be my main gun forever more.
But its not a KMW Sentinel. You suck. Poser.

And you won that stock, you didn't buy it. Double fail.

Last edited by rksimple; 08-05-2010 at 10:30 AM..
Old 08-05-2010, 10:28 AM
Veteran Member

That's exactly what I was thinking when Randall told me they only sell those stocks with the gun. I personally wouldn't use that stock since the rest of the rifle would be a fake.. No sense making the gun look like something its not. What are you gonna chamber that one in? 6.5L? POSER!!
Old 08-05-2010, 10:29 AM
Veteran Member

Lol.

Having a good loking rifle doesn't preclude it from being a precision rig. If somebody has the money and wants a precision rig that looks like a work of art, go for it! I'm not going to hate on them because they have different taste or a higher bankroll than me.

Nobody is saying that they should buy a good looking rifle that shoots like crap.

If you take two barreled actions equal in performance and quality of parts, the simple fact is that the one with the name brand who took more time address the aesthetics/detail of the rifle will fetch higher dollar. Doesn't mean one is better than the other.. it's just simply more desirable to a greater number of people. Seems pretty common sense to me.
Old 08-05-2010, 10:30 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtRacer151 View Post
That's exactly what I was thinking when Randall told me they only sell those stocks with the gun.
In the beginning, that was true.
They sell them now.
6 month+ wait on common configurations though.
They have lefty versions in stock.

Most work performed while-you-wait, evening and saturday appointments available.

Last edited by ar15barrels; 08-05-2010 at 10:33 AM..
Old 08-05-2010, 10:31 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
What are you gonna chamber that one in? 6.5L?
I don't shoot a 6.5 Loser.

Old 08-05-2010, 10:38 AM
Veteran Member

On a serious note I do like the feel of the stock. Its like a much improved AI stock. It would still take me some time to get used to the thumbhole. The magazine release is awesome!
Old 08-05-2010, 11:03 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcard View Post

If you take two barreled actions equal in performance and quality of parts, the simple fact is that the one with the name brand who took more time address the aesthetics/detail of the rifle will fetch higher dollar. Doesn't mean one is better than the other.. it's just simply more desirable to a greater number of people. Seems pretty common sense to me.
This argument is sound. Re-read the multiple posts and quotes for the arguments that don't hold water...ie looks=value, brand=value, resale value=quality, ad nauseum.
Old 08-05-2010, 11:05 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
On a serious note I do like the feel of the stock. Its like a much improved AI stock. It would still take me some time to get used to the thumbhole. The magazine release is awesome!
I only use the thumbhole while carrying it.
I shoot it thumb pointing forward along the side of the stock.
That way is MUCH faster to run the bolt.
I almost look like Ryan and Tony.

Old 08-05-2010, 11:08 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rksimple View Post
This argument is sound. Re-read the multiple posts and quotes for the arguments that don't hold water...ie looks=value, brand=value, resale value=quality, ad nauseum.
It actually is more correct when stated the other way.
quality=resale value but resale value does not necessarily equal quality.

Old 08-05-2010, 11:08 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
I only use the thumbhole while carrying it.
I shoot it thumb pointing forward along the side of the stock.
That way is MUCH faster to run the bolt.
I almost look like Ryan and Tony.
I agree. I also feel like I'm trying to drive the rifle too much when I have my thumb in the thumbhole. Now I barely have my thumb on the stock.
Old 08-05-2010, 11:11 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
It actually is more correct when stated the other way.
quality=resale value but resale value does not necessarily equal quality.
I just feel like sh** knowing my Randall rifle won't fetch top dollar on the hide.
Old 08-05-2010, 11:21 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rksimple View Post
I just feel like sh** knowing my Randall rifle won't fetch top dollar on the hide.
Especially after the 8 months you waited for him to complete the build and the extra $2k you shelled out to have him coat every thing in FDE krylo-cote.
Old 08-05-2010, 11:51 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Especially after the 8 months you waited for him to complete the build and the extra $2k you shelled out to have him coat every thing in FDE krylo-cote.
Damn, I need to start offering krylo-cote.
That ****'s only $4 a can at home depot.

Old 08-05-2010, 12:10 PM

wow...this has been the most lively thread in this sub forum for almost a year....Always good when Pete, Randall and Ryan get going...Just sorry that Charlie and Kurtis didn't chime in...

We went from what is a better choice 260 vs 243 to do we need to segregate calibers to which rifles are better than others based on who built them.....was fun....All I know is that my rifle out shoots me any day, its 308 and I would never think that I would finish at or near the top of a competition...and my rifle was built by someone who never even thought of himself as a gunsmith....

And the best thing of it all...I am sitting on the edge of Big Bear Lake, its approx 80 degrees and I am going fishing.....
Old 08-05-2010, 4:03 PM
Calguns Addict

Randall,

I love the sentinel stock.

Ryan,

Frugal, cheap, it's all the same. I won't go down that path again, but you know the incidents. That's between you and I. Personally, I give my wife money whenever she wants. She's my wife. A buddy of mine even borrowed 20grand from me a week ago. He's a buddy.

---side note.

I love my rifle. The ranges that I go to public or not, I don't go show off my rifle. But, people do come and look at it. Piru, ASR, my pop's place. I still have the same amount of fun. I do it not for others, but for myself. I work hard for my money, and sometimes I spend it on my toys. It does give me self gratification knowing that I do have a work of art. Karl is an excellent smith in my book. I wouldn't consider getting one built by another other then Terry Cross. I'm actually on his "list."
Old 08-05-2010, 4:28 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Randall,

I love the sentinel stock.

Ryan,

Frugal, cheap, it's all the same. I won't go down that path again, but you know the incidents. That's between you and I. Personally, I give my wife money whenever she wants. She's my wife. A buddy of mine even borrowed 20grand from me a week ago. He's a buddy.

Really? I keep my wife in a cage and rarely throw her scraps of food if shes lucky. You guys must have a very special relationship... Seriously WTF? Can you read? Think?

---side note.

I love my rifle. The ranges that I go to public or not, I don't go show off my rifle. But, people do come and look at it. Piru, ASR, my pop's place. I still have the same amount of fun. I do it not for others, but for myself. I work hard for my money, and sometimes I spend it on my toys. It does give me self gratification knowing that I do have a work of art. Karl is an excellent smith in my book. I wouldn't consider getting one built by another other then Terry Cross. I'm actually on his "list."
That is fricken AWESOME! I didn't know Terry had a "no shooter left behind" list. How'd you do it?

In all seriousness, this has more than run its course.