Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns LEOs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns LEOs LEOs; chat, kibitz and relax. Non-LEOs; have a questions for a cop? Ask it here, in a CIVIL manner.

Old 08-12-2013, 7:25 AM
Calguns Addict

Default NFL firearms ban

the latest NFL 'Best Practice for Stadium Security' bans ALL firearms from the games
This includes off duty law enforcement.
Duty officers will need to be Pre approved.
Candlestick previously allowed LEO to carry, this practice is now being halted and you will be denied access, additionally there is no weapons storage on the property.

This advisement was by candlestick but since it is an NFL policy it likely covers all nfl venues
This was issued by Jim Mercurio, SF VP
Effective aug 3 it looks like
Phone for candlestick park 415-656-4949

Oh
This is posted as informational only
I am not necessarily for or against
Just hoping to pre-empt an officers inconvenience upon going to a game and subsequently being denied

Last edited by Tripper; 08-12-2013 at 9:20 PM..
Old 08-12-2013, 9:25 AM

Last year there were several incidents involving off duty's and them brandishing/422's/fights. One got booked. Suspect Mercurio and the NFL is basing it off that.
Old 08-12-2013, 9:36 AM
Calguns Addict

Ever since their deafening silence from Bob Costas' on-air anti-2A rant last year, they lost me as a customer. I watch no games, read no news stories, buy no merchandise. If enough people that gave a crap about the 2A did the same thing, the financial impact would he felt. Remember, they make money from our purchases, either through direct licensed merchandise or through advertisers, as well as ticket sales. Stop feeding the animal that bites your hand.

When did I go from being a "citizen" to a "taxpayer"?

Jon Lovitz: ‘I can’t wait to go to a hospital run by the DMV!’

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestryll View Post
Dude went full CNN...
Peace, love, and heavy weapons. Sometimes you have to be insistent." - David Lee Roth
Old 08-12-2013, 10:36 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by njineermike View Post
Ever since their deafening silence from Bob Costas' on-air anti-2A rant last year, they lost me as a customer. I watch no games, read no news stories, buy no merchandise. If enough people that gave a crap about the 2A did the same thing, the financial impact would he felt. Remember, they make money from our purchases, either through direct licensed merchandise or through advertisers, as well as ticket sales. Stop feeding the animal that bites your hand.
You can't hold everybody accountable for one person's actions. That be like saying there are all murder's because of that one guy charged with murder
Old 08-12-2013, 11:48 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamin101677 View Post
You can't hold everybody accountable for one person's actions. That be like saying there are all murder's because of that one guy charged with murder
Wrong analogy. I'm holding the BUSINESS of the NFL responsible because one of the employees of a company that represents them advocates the violation of my civil rights, stated this on THEIR forum, while they said and did nothing. I have every right to hold them accountable for failure to take action. A football game was one place I could go and NOT get political preaching from leftist idiots, but now the NFL has decided to align itself with political ideals in direct contradiction to my own. Whether this is by conscious action, or by inaction, he result is the same.

That, and I grew tired of millionaire douchebags screaming about not being able to get by on salaries I won't see unless I strike diamond mine on my property.

In short, I'll spend my money where I damn well please.

Quote:
Dude went full CNN...
Peace, love, and heavy weapons. Sometimes you have to be insistent." - David Lee Roth

Last edited by retired; 08-12-2013 at 1:46 PM..
Old 08-12-2013, 6:10 PM
Veteran Member

Well, officially, Dodger stadium, NBC Studios (Los Angeles), Disneyland all have policy that prohibits off duty sworn from packing heaters. So, why attend the games and park????

Does that bad policy stop off duty cops from carrying anyways? Nope. Until they put up a metal detector there, who cares. I'd rather have a gun when the potential to thwart off a violent encounter with an LA gang member(s) in the parking lot of Dodger stadium, than not have one because of a private business rule.

Look what happened to that poor off duty paramedic at dodger stadium about two years ago. He's now a vegetable. It made national headlines! I bet his family wishes he could have had a CCW and gun to protect himself against the attempted murderers that got away with the crime. Last I heard, they have yet to be caught.

It`s funny to me to see how angry an atheist is over a God they don`t believe in.` -Jack Hibbs

-ΙΧΘΥΣ <><
Old 08-12-2013, 6:13 PM
I need a LIFE!!

they dont want anyone they do not employ to have firearms

ok it would make me feel better if it was a firearm free location
Old 08-12-2013, 6:39 PM

I heard this was mentioned from one of our line-ups today. I'm not supporting that policy with my hard-earned money! I guess I will no longer be attending any NFL game again!
Old 08-12-2013, 7:10 PM
Calguns Addict

My own "Best Practice"... if my carry gun can't come in, I can't either. I'll spend my cash elsewhere.
Old 08-12-2013, 7:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpyoldretiredcop View Post
My own "Best Practice"... if my carry gun can't come in, I can't either. I'll spend my cash elsewhere.
Me too!

- Aut Pax Aut Bellum - Volunteer LDW
Old 08-12-2013, 8:53 PM
Calguns Addict

For what it's worth, they do have metal detectors
I think their own statement was that they have appropriate security measures in place
I do wonder if they can tell that to the vegetable guy mentioned earlier
Old 08-12-2013, 9:03 PM
Calguns Addict

It's still better than the KC Chiefs -

Who donated to support the Brady Campaign....
Old 08-12-2013, 9:56 PM
In Memoriam

Oakland Raiders have metal detectors

NRA Life Member
CRPA Life Member
NRA Rifle Instructor
NRA Shotgun Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer
DOJ Certified Instructor
Old 08-12-2013, 10:43 PM

Raiders have it for their own players!!!

just kidding......kind of.......
Old 08-12-2013, 10:53 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron-Solo View Post
Oakland Raiders have metal detectors
Hey, we are talking about football fans and sports...... Not ex cons and gangster spectators.

It`s funny to me to see how angry an atheist is over a God they don`t believe in.` -Jack Hibbs

-ΙΧΘΥΣ <><
Old 08-13-2013, 9:33 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

So nobody thinks this is a good rule besides me? I don't wanna be at a sporting event and have some off duty police officer drinking alcohol while carrying a firearm. Just isn't a safe atmosphere. We can google and find things that some officers do both on duty and off duty that with a gun and alcohol in the system at a sporting event there could be issues.

This is just preventing a problem from arising across the NFL with a off duty officer and drinking alcohol at a event. I don't think it's a bad idea, most CCW's and law enforcement agencies would not allow anybody to carry a gun into a bar.

For those of you that won't go anywhere without your gun, I think your just loosing out on things. Each year millions of people go to events unarmed and return home safely. This include judge who sentence people, prison doctors who take away medication from inmates, etc so a peace officer would not be the only target out there.

I agree with the right to bear arms, the right to CCW's, and peace officer's carrying guns but like with everything there has to be limits and standards put into effect.
Old 08-13-2013, 11:28 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
So nobody thinks this is a good rule besides me? I don't wanna be at a sporting event and have some off duty police officer drinking alcohol while carrying a firearm. Just isn't a safe atmosphere. We can google and find things that some officers do both on duty and off duty that with a gun and alcohol in the system at a sporting event there could be issues.

This is just preventing a problem from arising across the NFL with a off duty officer and drinking alcohol at a event. I don't think it's a bad idea, most CCW's and law enforcement agencies would not allow anybody to carry a gun into a bar.

For those of you that won't go anywhere without your gun, I think your just loosing out on things. Each year millions of people go to events unarmed and return home safely. This include judge who sentence people, prison doctors who take away medication from inmates, etc so a peace officer would not be the only target out there.

I agree with the right to bear arms, the right to CCW's, and peace officer's carrying guns but like with everything there has to be limits and standards put into effect.
Your assuming that any person, LEO or not, that goes to a ball game is drinking, which is way far from accurate.
Standards should not create victims
I'm ok with places that don't allow carry
When they make absolutely sure NOBODY is carrying
No metal detector means they are not even trying to make sure

Last edited by Tripper; 08-13-2013 at 11:30 AM..
Old 08-14-2013, 8:21 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:

Yeah because armed drunk cops are the real problem at these venues. I'm so glad someone finally figured out the predominant cause of violence at those nfl games. So a blanket ban on cops and CCW holders from carrying a gun at the next Raider or Dodger game now means that everyone else is much safer! Yeah, I'll buy that argument.

-ΙΧΘΥΣ <><
Old 08-14-2013, 11:25 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailerparkTrash View Post
Yeah because armed drunk cops are the real problem at these venues. I'm so glad someone finally figured out the predominant cause of violence at those nfl games. So a blanket ban on cops and CCW holders from carrying a gun at the next Raider or Dodger game now means that everyone else is much safer! Yeah, I'll buy that argument.
We read daily almost about crazy things that officers do on duty and off duty. Just a few years ago a couple of off duty San Francisco Police Department Officers got in a fight and stole a bag of tacos from some people. I know of a former officer that went to a Fresno State Football game had a incident involving his gun and he is no longer a police officer. There are countless stories of law enforcement officers do crazy things off duty,

For the NFL to make this policy there had to be issues around the country with incidents with off duty cops and citizens with ccw's. I am not going to go as far as saying the games are not totally safe, but who knows of the course of a couple years how many officers jobs may have been saved by this policy.
Old 08-14-2013, 11:31 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
We read daily almost about crazy things that officers do on duty and off duty. Just a few years ago a couple of off duty San Francisco Police Department Officers got in a fight and stole a bag of tacos from some people. I know of a former officer that went to a Fresno State Football game had a incident involving his gun and he is no longer a police officer. There are countless stories of law enforcement officers do crazy things off duty,

For the NFL to make this policy there had to be issues around the country with incidents with off duty cops and citizens with ccw's. I am not going to go as far as saying the games are not totally safe, but who knows of the course of a couple years how many officers jobs may have been saved by this policy.
Well, it's a good thing unarmed gangbanges are absolutely no threat whatsoever....

Quote:
Dude went full CNN...
Old 08-14-2013, 11:45 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:

What we see even more of is crazy gun owners doing crazy things all the time. There are countless stories of gun owners doing crazy things. Since we know this, it's obvious that the average person just can't be trusted to be responsible. Maybe the safest thing to do would be to ban all guns.

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups
Old 08-14-2013, 11:46 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Well, it's a good thing unarmed gangbanges are absolutely no threat whatsoever....
I never said that unarmed gang bangers were not a threat or meant to imply that. I just meant to apply that the NFL has made a policy I would suggest in direct response to something that has occurred around NFL games over the years. This is not something that is only a Oakland Raider, or Dallas Cowboy ban on guns this is NFL wide so it is a sure guess that incidents must have happened.

I was just stating some incidents that I knew of where off duty officers have gotten into trouble. I don't think that guns and alcohol and guns where alcohol could be drank by a unknown number of off duty officers work well together. Not saying that every officer with a gun would drink.

If law enforcement officers are upset about this, they should be most upset with the fellow law enforcement officers over the last years that have had incidents which had lead to this ban of guns. Even if 100 officers attended off duty and only one caused a problem with his off duty gun etc., that is one incident too many.

Any event should be attempted to be made as safe as possible, so if the NFL feels that armed off duty peace officers are more of a concern than a help at a event we should respect that decision. If a officer doesn't wanna attend the event because he can't carry again that is his right too.
Old 08-14-2013, 11:52 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRICKSTER View Post
What we see even more of is crazy gun owners doing crazy things all the time. There are countless stories of gun owners doing crazy things. Since we know this, it's obvious that the average person just can't be trusted to be responsible. Maybe the safest thing to do would be to ban all guns.
Yes, but how many officers you think would allow a citizen to have a gun in a bar, even if they weren't drinking just because the potential for that person to drink is there. When people drink they loose their ability to make good decisions which is a proven fact. Do you want a officer attempting to get involved in a situation where he has been drinking and is off duty?

We can't say that every officer off duty with a gun would cause a issue, but like I said if even 1 per stadium per year occurred that is a lot of incidents. I think in the long run this will save a few officers jobs.
Old 08-14-2013, 12:02 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Yes, but how many officers you think would allow a citizen to have a gun in a bar, even if they weren't drinking just because the potential for that person to drink is there. When people drink they loose their ability to make good decisions which is a proven fact. Do you want a officer attempting to get involved in a situation where he has been drinking and is off duty?

We can't say that every officer off duty with a gun would cause a issue, but like I said if even 1 per stadium per year occurred that is a lot of incidents. I think in the long run this will save a few officers jobs.
Then the problem is alcohol, not guns.

Quote:
Dude went full CNN...
Old 08-14-2013, 12:09 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
I can't tell you for sure what the NFL sees as the problem. I just know that alcohol and guns don't mix. I am sure that there had to be officers going to these events that did dumb things with guns, which caused this ban. So I am thinking in atmosphere with a lot of adrenalin, potential for people to drink, and some off duty officers with guns situations have happened to make the NFL say no to all guns.

Is this a good policy? Only time will till, for me I would have normally left my gun in my car anyways so I am not sweating it. I could be one of the ones that this policy saves there job and life. Never know.
Old 08-14-2013, 12:20 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
I worked several Raiders games and almost every fight and problem was from someone that had been drinking.
If it's really about safety, why don't they just ban all alcohol at the games, that will solve more problems than banning LEO's from bringing firearms.

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups
Old 08-14-2013, 3:01 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRICKSTER View Post
I worked several Raiders games and almost every fight and problem was from someone that had been drinking.
If it's really about safety, why don't they just ban all alcohol at the games, that will solve more problems than banning LEO's from bringing firearms.
Banning alcohol sales would do the most good to prevent violent incidents at sporting events but they are willing to accept some mayhem for a few million dollars.
Old 08-14-2013, 3:45 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
I can't tell you for sure what the NFL sees as the problem. I just know that alcohol and guns don't mix. I am sure that there had to be officers going to these events that did dumb things with guns, which caused this ban. So I am thinking in atmosphere with a lot of adrenalin, potential for people to drink, and some off duty officers with guns situations have happened to make the NFL say no to all guns.

Is this a good policy? Only time will till, for me I would have normally left my gun in my car anyways so I am not sweating it. I could be one of the ones that this policy saves there job and life. Never know.
So, you have no proof any incident involving off duty officers and firearms, but since the NFL is doing it, there must be a good reason that must involve off duty officers, alcohol and firearms, it's just not being publicized........

The NSA should hire the NFL, since the NFL can evidently keep a nationwide problem completely under wraps and he NSA can't.

Quote:
Dude went full CNN...
Old 08-15-2013, 12:06 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
. So I am thinking in atmosphere with a lot of adrenalin, potential for people to drink. . . I could be one of the ones that this policy saves there job and life. Never know.
Puhlease. If you are incapable of not carrying and drinking alcohol at the same time or carrying and controlling yourself in adult fashion at a sporting event it really concerns me if in fact you are a LEO. As for those LEO's who made poor decisions while carrying at NFL games (whether it was 1 or 100), I'm sure they got what they deserved afterwards.
Old 08-15-2013, 9:33 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
. I just know that alcohol and guns don't mix.
Yes they do!!!! In fact, the Feds added a little tobacco and fireworks to that party and now we have the BATF!!! Duhhhh! It's a tough job, but somebody's gotta do it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamin
I am sure that there had to be officers going to these events that did dumb things with guns, which caused this ban. So I am thinking.....
Okay, I stopped your sentence right after "thinking." Just don't.

Remember, cops (humans) come from the same gene pool as every other human being. So, with the NFL banning guns, now only good cops and CCW holders will obey that policy and the crooks will still manage to get a gun inside the venue if they so desire. Then what?

We don't have to bring up Sandy Hook, Aurora, Norway or the dozens of other tragic incidents where an ARMED off duty cop or CCW holder could have ended those massacres much sooner. I'd rather take a chance of allowing cops into these venues with their off duty weapons and having one "blow it," than to have a psycho hell-bent on killing a bunch of people with his Raven Arms and nobody there to stop him..

The old adage of, "banning guns helps out the bad guys" is so true. I don't think it's neither a "gun" problem, nor an "alcohol" problem per se. It's a "character" problem within the human race. It's also a failure of thorough background checks at pre-employment, followed by a severe and dramatic lowering of hiring standards across the country. Every profession has "bad apples" in the mix because we are all human. We humans will never weed out the bad apples 100% of the time in any profession.

You only hear about an off duty cop doing something stupid because its magnified in the media by about 1 million times over. I guarantee, every single day, there is a bad guy illegally bringing in a gun (no doubt, stolen) into Disneyland. I'd rather feel a little bit easier knowing that there just might be some ARMED off duty cop(s) or CCW holder(s) there as well, that have the opportunity to stop some gang member in his tracks, if need be.

-ΙΧΘΥΣ <><
Old 08-26-2013, 11:44 AM

Since I cannot legally carry a gun to a game then I'd feel a little safer, at lease, knowing that there might be an armed off duty sitting nearby.

Then again, if an off duty officer can carry, why can't I? Hmmmmm . . . .

Man, I'm still trying to figure out why it's good for a cop to have and carry firearms, but it's not good for us. My family must not be as important as "officer safety"?
Old 08-26-2013, 12:10 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:

I am rather curious as to why you think that this policy by the national felon league is directed toward off duty officers, or in response to something that happened? My understanding is that it is plain and simple a zero tolerance rule for all weapons, knives included. As far as leaving a gun in a car at a stadium or any large parking lot, I'll pass on that idea. Lord knows that there have never been car burgs in parking lots at large events.
Old 08-26-2013, 1:41 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by P5Ret View Post
I am rather curious as to why you think that this policy by the national felon league is directed toward off duty officers, or in response to something that happened? My understanding is that it is plain and simple a zero tolerance rule for all weapons, knives included. As far as leaving a gun in a car at a stadium or any large parking lot, I'll pass on that idea. Lord knows that there have never been car burgs in parking lots at large events.
Earlier somebody posted that some incidents had happened a game. I personally know of a off duty officer that had a incident at either the SF or Oakland game and lost his badge.

Also we have all heard about all the crazy stuff that officers have pulled off duty over the years. So in a football setting you have a lot of people drink alcohol, getting into the thrill up and downs of the game. Not a good atmosphere
Old 08-26-2013, 2:09 PM

Quote:

I am an LEO, and I go to events. I do not drink alcohol. So, if your issue is with an LEO who is drunk and carry a gun, how about a guy like me who doesn't drink and carry a gun?
Old 08-26-2013, 2:12 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by micro911 View Post
I am an LEO, and I go to events. I do not drink alcohol. So, if your issue is with an LEO who is drunk and carry a gun, how about a guy like me who doesn't drink and carry a gun?
According to what he's been posting, the mere presence of alcohol, combined with the proximity of your firearm, will force you to drink, resulting in you shooting a baby seal and a condor.

Quote:
Dude went full CNN...
Old 08-26-2013, 2:21 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by micro911 View Post
So how could the NFL figure out which officer is going to drink or not?

They can't

If LEO are that afraid that they need to bring a gun with them everywhere then why could to the event?
Old 08-26-2013, 2:27 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
According to what he's been posting, the mere presence of alcohol, combined with the proximity of your firearm, will force you to drink, resulting in you shooting a baby seal and a condor.
No but your trying to say that every law enforcement officer that carries a gun off duty never gets into trouble?

I mean there have been high profile incidents of officer getting in trouble off duty, remeber the SF Police Officers that took the bag of tacos by force?
Come on law enforcement officers get in trouble so this policy may be good.

No matter what we say or think the NFL decided to put these rules in place. They have been made public. So any law enforcement officer wanting to attend the game has the choice, either attend unarmed or don't go?
Old 08-26-2013, 2:45 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
No but your trying to say that every law enforcement officer that carries a gun off duty never gets into trouble?

I mean there have been high profile incidents of officer getting in trouble off duty, remeber the SF Police Officers that took the bag of tacos by force?
Come on law enforcement officers get in trouble so this policy may be good.

No matter what we say or think the NFL decided to put these rules in place. They have been made public. So any law enforcement officer wanting to attend the game has the choice, either attend unarmed or don't go?
Maybe they should ban tacos too, since they seem to be a source of criminal activity......

Quote:
Dude went full CNN...
Old 08-26-2013, 2:51 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
lol

and in with lead ammo too i bet
Old 08-26-2013, 2:58 PM

apply to mlb stadiums?ie att park?

FOLKS WHO NEED THIS DISCLAIMER NEED MUCH MORE THAN THIS DISCLAIMER.