Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Northern California Chapters
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-19-2010, 4:37 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Default Ideas for Outreach Events, Campaigns and Initiatives

This is the thread in which to share and discuss ideas for outreach events, campaigns and initiatives in your area.

Calgunners, how can we best support RKBA and the gun culture, shooting activities and promote the Calguns community in your neighborhoods, cities and counties?

You have the floor.

I do not read private messages, and my inbox is usually full. If you need to reach me, please email me instead.

My comments are not the official position or a statement of any organization unless stated otherwise. My comments are not legal advice; if you want or need legal advice, hire a lawyer.
I need a LIFE!!

This is the thread in which to share and discuss ideas for outreach events, campaigns and initiatives in your area.

Calgunners, how can we best support RKBA and the gun culture, shooting activities and promote the Calguns community in your neighborhoods, cities and counties?

You have the floor.

I do not read private messages, and my inbox is usually full. If you need to reach me, please email me instead.

My comments are not the official position or a statement of any organization unless stated otherwise. My comments are not legal advice; if you want or need legal advice, hire a lawyer.
I need a LIFE!!

You have the floor.

Last edited by greasemonkey; 10-26-2010 at 7:01 PM..
I need a LIFE!!

You have the floor.

Old 01-19-2010, 5:16 PM

When I went to hear the vote on AB357,I only met 3 other calgunners. Very dissappointed, but still, it was cool to go and meet somebody with similar ideas. We need to get together a contingent to attend every meeting, hearing, and vote on firearms. If we stay visible to the legislators it will start sticking in their minds that we are their constituents.
"There's no way to rule innocent men. The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws" From Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand

Last edited by coop44; 01-19-2010 at 5:22 PM..
Old 01-21-2010, 8:23 PM
CGSSA Associate

Sik is organizing the range clean up but i think we (calgunners in the area) should be as proactive as possible while out at our respective ranges.

The "business cards" are a great idea. I think people really under estimate it. Gun owners, especially in this state, feel like an isolated and dying breed. I think the more "bro i feel your pain" love we can spread the better.

Ventura, Carp, Santa Barbara, Lompoc, Santa Maria, Nipomo and Pismo

Spread the love!

Help Me - Help You.....

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...9&postcount=35
Old 01-22-2010, 5:33 PM

So far I have been reaching out to the anti and on the fence gun crowd and have been successful in changing someone's mindset on firearms in general. It turns out she is actually a really good shot and has expressed interest in traveling to the range again! This weekend I am training another individual which has never shot before how to handle a rifle, I hope this goes as well as the last individual.

From what I have seen it is possible to change a person's mindset if you provide the individual with sufficient opportunity to voice their concerns and establish that you are not a "crazed gunny" (not my own words).

In regards to Calguns, I make every effort to spread the word about this foundation/organization to every individual I have met which has been interested in firearms in general.

At some point we can maybe organize an open carry event in San Luis Obispo, the county seat, to make a point. Just look at the starbucks open carry event:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYWz7BEEg1k

Maybe I am taking this too far....
Old 01-22-2010, 8:57 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN ContributorCGN Contributor - Lifetime

Calguns booths at Stockton and Turlock gun shows.

"A Government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have."
"Those who hammer their guns into plows, will plow for those who do not."
Thomas Jefferson.
"a system of licensing the right of
self-defense, which doesn’t recognize self-defense as “good cause”
Don Kilmer
Old 01-22-2010, 9:40 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I'm going to be taking some youth group to learn how to shoot skeet/trap and need people who know the sport come out and help. There might be around 30 of them. Time and date will be posted. It will be held in Fresno.
Old 01-22-2010, 11:43 PM

I think we should try to have a booth at local fairs, or at least people walking around handing out info in Calguns shirts. And do something at the local though crappy local gun shows.

Also may want to get business card holders so we can have cards at all gun shops all the time instead of just fliers when its an emergency. Just a thought.
Old 01-23-2010, 3:20 AM
C3 Leader
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Location: Flagstaff, Arizona up the hill at 7,000ft. originally from Minnesota, this ain't snow, its flurries

I bought a Crickett youth rifle and made up a kit to give away at the Friends of NRA Dinner on 18 February in Lemoore.

The kit consists of the rifle, eye protection, sound suppressors, a brick of .22 ammo, a package of targets and a carrying case.

This will be presented as a Calguns sponsored drawing/raffle and given to a youngster to help launch the next generation of shooters.

An actual rifle designed as a Calguns item with hearing and eye protection set up in its own carrying case ought to be a winner. Regardless, the entire kit can be used at virtually any event to promote the future generation of shooters at a low cost.

Vick

"Nobody ever defended anything successfully, there is only attack and attack and attack some more." (George Patton)

Picnic Time
Old 01-24-2010, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple K View Post
Calguns booths at Stockton and Turlock gun shows.
+1 I agree, plus maybe heading out to festivals like for example asparagus festival stockton, most citys have something similar we can have a booth to spread word?
Old 01-25-2010, 1:17 AM

+1 for Turlock and if volunteers are need I'l be there.
Jordan

Last edited by 00cummins4x4; 01-25-2010 at 7:40 PM..
Old 01-28-2010, 2:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electricboy View Post
I think we should try to have a booth at local fairs, or at least people walking around handing out info in Calguns shirts. And do something at the local though crappy local gun shows.

Also may want to get business card holders so we can have cards at all gun shops all the time instead of just fliers when its an emergency. Just a thought.
This is a good idea, anyone i run into while working, im a delivery driver and have 250 customers a week, if i notice they are into guns, i tell them about CGN. I think if we are present at shows, cards at gun shops, and just to get our site and our cause out there, i think it will help in our fight for the 2nd Amendment. The more people who join, become aware our cause and what we stand and fight for, the better things will get.

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass" -Japanese Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto (WW2)
Old 01-28-2010, 10:35 PM

+1 on the open carry.
Old 02-02-2010, 5:37 PM
Veteran Member

I have nothing to open carry lol but I'd go and act like a citizen that is not bothered!, but honestly other than a few people we live in a rather gun approved area. All the ranchers and farmers on the sunny central coast, sure dont seem very anti. Does a booth at the paso gun show not seem like a good idea? I went to the last one, I know its not huge but reaching every corner means the big and small places.
Old 02-03-2010, 4:15 PM

We definitely need a booth at the Paso show. I will attempt to spearhead that effort.
Old 02-05-2010, 5:43 PM

Is there any way we can set up a public range in Los Padres near SLO? I have no idea what would be involved in that (legality, location, etc), but I saw the Camino Cielo clean up and thought it'd be cool to set up a public range like that. I'd love it and I have a feeling Calgun's Foundation Public Shooting Range would bring in some good PR.
Old 02-05-2010, 6:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by patsline74 View Post
Is there any way we can set up a public range in Los Padres near SLO? I have no idea what would be involved in that (legality, location, etc), but I saw the Camino Cielo clean up and thought it'd be cool to set up a public range like that. I'd love it and I have a feeling Calgun's Foundation Public Shooting Range would bring in some good PR.
There used to be a designated shooting areas off of West Cuesta. But nobody would pick up the trash and toward the end people were dumping cars, household trash, computer monitors. This wasn't just stuff to shoot, it was people hauling their trash up there rather than taking it to the dump. You just missed the open comment period the Forest Service had on what they need to do to provide more recreational opportunities to the Forest users. I wrote them that they need to provide more shooting areas CLOSER to the population centers in SLO county. Give them a call, if enough people ask they just might reopen West Cuesta.
Old 02-05-2010, 6:42 PM
Administrator

I think a range cleanup could be really successful if we could work out some kind of arrangement to get free/cheap rental of large vehicles to use in range cleanups. Maybe some scrap/recycling company might be interested in taking a smallish flatbed out near a shooting spot (I say near because people may need to use pickups as 'tenders' to get the scrap to the vehicle) for the collection of air compressors, propane tanks, and other large metal targets?

Plenty of before/after pics could make a really compelling mini-site for environmentally oriented gun owners.
Old 02-05-2010, 7:06 PM

Check out my efforts in my sig of east Camino Cielo. I have a 20' trailer and truck and access to the dump.

I am very much wanting a public range in SLO, and am willing to spearhead the effort. I'd think we'd need a few people in a comitted and then contact the USFS/BLM with a plan of action.

I've purchased Www.sbglassfactory.org and will update that this weekend with info.
Old 02-05-2010, 10:45 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Maybe we could help with adding some gates and eyeballing the area regularly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford8N View Post
There used to be a designated shooting areas off of West Cuesta. But nobody would pick up the trash and toward the end people were dumping cars, household trash, computer monitors. This wasn't just stuff to shoot, it was people hauling their trash up there rather than taking it to the dump. You just missed the open comment period the Forest Service had on what they need to do to provide more recreational opportunities to the Forest users. I wrote them that they need to provide more shooting areas CLOSER to the population centers in SLO county. Give them a call, if enough people ask they just might reopen West Cuesta.

Old 02-06-2010, 4:12 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildhawker View Post
Maybe we could help with adding some gates and eyeballing the area regularly?
That would be cool but I bet if some group adopts a shooting area, the USFS will want some kind of liability insurance, bonds to mitigate lead build up and environmental damage, funds for administering contracts and compliance, an EIR(the bad one), ect. Kind of defeats the purpose to having a free place to blast off a few rounds and have fun. Oh yea, there already exists a gate to the best shooting spot, it is now closed to vehicle traffic. But you never know, maybe the NRA would pony up the money to get a spot open and would have the legal staff to do the heavy lifting with the government.
Old 02-06-2010, 5:04 PM

Im thinking out towards Pozo.... look for an upcoming thread soon.
Old 02-14-2010, 7:33 AM

If we all took a non shooter out to our local range on our own dime, then I bet we will double our number in a short period of time. I recently took my wife, my sister and my sister's friend to a local gun range and they all loved it. They were all first time handgun shooters. Before I took them, I spent some time with them going over handgun safety and proper handling. After we were done, they started planning the next trip to the range and talked about getting their own gun.
Old 02-14-2010, 7:43 AM
C3 Leader

Location: Flagstaff, Arizona up the hill at 7,000ft. originally from Minnesota, this ain't snow, its flurries

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikompc View Post
If we all took a non shooter out to our local range on our own dime, then I bet we will double our number in a short period of time. I recently took my wife, my sister and my sister's friend to a local gun range and they all loved it. They were all first time handgun shooters. Before I took them, I spent some time with them going over handgun safety and proper handling. After we were done, they started planning the next trip to the range and talked about getting their own gun.
It's at this point where they start talking about getting their own gun it's a good time to bring up the politicians viewpoints on them owning a gun.

Teach them how to shoot then teach them how to keep it.

Vick

"Nobody ever defended anything successfully, there is only attack and attack and attack some more." (George Patton)

Picnic Time
Old 02-22-2010, 9:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by coop44 View Post
When I went to hear the vote on AB357,I only met 3 other calgunners. Very dissappointed, but still, it was cool to go and meet somebody with similar ideas. We need to get together a contingent to attend every meeting, hearing, and vote on firearms. If we stay visible to the legislators it will start sticking in their minds that we are their constituents.
i'd like to be part of this
Old 02-28-2010, 8:21 PM

The Appleseed Program has a long list of events throught California. I am planning on going in May.

"The Appleseed Program is designed to take you from being a simple rifle owner to being a true rifleman. All throughout American history, the rifleman has been defined as a marksman capable of hitting a man-sized target from 500 yards away..."

http://www.appleseedinfo.org/index.html
Old 03-02-2010, 9:11 AM
C3 Leader

http://www.kmjnow.com/pages/yardsale

Radio Tradio is having a huge yard sale, booths are still available.

Every Saturday morning I hear guns for sale on this station.
Radio Tradio Yard Sale
Saturday, April 10
7AM-3PM
Rain or Shine
Madera Fairgrounds

Gate Admission: $3 per person (Cash Only). Children under 12 are free.

Vick

Picnic Time
Old 03-03-2010, 9:18 PM

Is there going to be a booth in the redding Sportman's Show?

Handguns are a skill; shotguns an art; rifles a science.

What color is your Kool-aid?
Old 03-16-2010, 9:04 PM

I could also help with a booth at the Turlock gun shows.
Old 03-22-2010, 8:01 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildhawker View Post
hmmm.. let's see;

Appleseed - Adult, Highschool, Junior
Gun Shows- (Set up by Rotary, Elks, other community orgs)
District and County Fairs
Attendance at City and County government meetings
Fundraiser BBQs-(To purchase range time or lessons for youth groups)
Community/Park clean up- (CCW, open carry or no carry)
Defense walks-(could be in conjuction with Cancer walks,'Walk a mile in her shoes')
Rodeo Events (Redding Rodeo has a quick draw contest every May)

Sometimes the law defends plunder and participates in it. Sometimes the law places the whole apparatus of judges, police, prisons and gendarmes at the service of the plunderers, and treats the victim -- when he defends himself -- as a criminal. Bastiat

“Everything the State says is a lie, and everything it has it has stolen.” Friedrich Nietzsche
Old 03-22-2010, 8:36 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Fantastic ideas and venues, all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CitaDeL View Post
hmmm.. let's see;

Appleseed - Adult, Highschool, Junior
Gun Shows- (Set up by Rotary, Elks, other community orgs)
District and County Fairs
Attendance at City and County government meetings
Fundraiser BBQs-(To purchase range time or lessons for youth groups)
Community/Park clean up- (CCW, open carry or no carry)
Defense walks-(could be in conjuction with Cancer walks,'Walk a mile in her shoes')
Rodeo Events (Redding Rodeo has a quick draw contest every May)

Old 03-22-2010, 9:50 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime

Guys if you have connections at any of these events, please let me know!!
Old 03-22-2010, 10:27 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcalidave View Post
Guys if you have connections at any of these events, please let me know!!
I dont believe you need any 'special connections' to get into any of these things.

Redding Lion's Club- Had their most recent Antique and Firearms show March 6 and 7th. Generally, they rent out tables for sellers, but I believe they would be open to a membership drive for Calguns. (It isnt cheap, but any fees would benefit Calguns- perhaps these could be offset by a donation jar.)

Likewise, going to any of the District or County fairs would only take the initiative to rent a booth.

The Walk a Mile in Her Shoes and the 'Walk for Life' event is something that participants would sign up for and take pledges for. While each event has an agenda of their own, it wouldnt be difficult to incorporate a walking team coordinated with Calguns or pro-gun t-shirts.

The Redding Rodeo Association would be the contact about the Fast Draw competition.

Planning and executing a fundraisng BBQ would likely require permits and reservations for park space- But we would need to set a goal in our objectives and decide whether or not its something that really needs to be funded in our area.

An Appleseed event would require some assistance in reserving a range and tapping some experienced range masters- of the selection of events, this is the more difficult to run logistically.

If we want to pursue these agendas, drop me a PM and maybe we can get a Shasta County/Redding Cell together.

Sometimes the law defends plunder and participates in it. Sometimes the law places the whole apparatus of judges, police, prisons and gendarmes at the service of the plunderers, and treats the victim -- when he defends himself -- as a criminal. Bastiat

“Everything the State says is a lie, and everything it has it has stolen.” Friedrich Nietzsche
Old 03-22-2010, 10:32 PM

With spring/summer coming up:
City Farmers Market
City Car Shows
San Dimas Rodeo

Last edited by n2k; 03-22-2010 at 10:37 PM..
Old 03-25-2010, 9:53 PM
Calguns Addict

Is anyone familiar with the farmers market that happens in Monterey on Alvarado Street every Tuesday afternoon?

I'm just curious on the plausibility of a booth there. I don't know a whole lot about this other than I've seen other activist groups with tables and members and whatnot. I figure this might (or might not??) be a good way to have publicity. This is a farmer's market though, and there are hippy-esque type people.

"...and an old German guy said there was a bit of an unsaid joke about the Nazi salute; apparently when they clicked their heels and raised their arm up in the air in a Nazi salute, they were saying, "we're in this much s___."
Old 04-02-2010, 3:28 PM

Heeey maaaan try some of our home grown, free range, organic, fair trade gunpowder.
Old 04-07-2010, 8:51 AM

I have a suggestion.

I am in the California Army National Guard, at Camp Roberts, CA. On active duty.

I've also served back east on another installation. That installation has what is called "The Sportsmans Range" which is open to the law abiding, gun carrying, general public, for a small fee. The range opens every day at 15:30 and closes at Sunset. To use the range, the public had to complete a range safety course and sign in at Range Control before proceeding to the range.

Senior leaders on Camp Roberts, are competitive shooters. The timing might be right to get such a range built with interest from local shooters and politicians. We have been pushing it from our end as well.
Old 04-07-2010, 8:59 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SikDMAX View Post
Im thinking out towards Pozo.... look for an upcoming thread soon.
That's my old neck of the woods. Do you want to build a range out there on public land or private land?
Utah CCW Instructor

Offering low cost multi state CCW, private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.

CCW SAFE MEMBERSHIPS HERE

KM6WLV