Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Technology and Internet
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Technology and Internet Emerging and current tech related issues. Internet, DRM, IP, and other technology related discussions.

Old 09-12-2012, 11:16 PM

Huge, huge disappointment with the new plug. I have like 20 USB plug that I will have to replace or get a $29.99 adapter. Now I will have to carry 2 different USB cable for my ipad and iphone. What a pain in the ***. I think I might just upgrade and sell the 5 and get $700.
Old 09-12-2012, 11:21 PM

its about time they got LTE on the iPhone. I can't wait to get one. sick of glitchy android

the new Nano is fantastic too

Last edited by Eldraque; 09-12-2012 at 11:31 PM..
Old 09-13-2012, 8:57 AM
I need a LIFE!!

I'll be getting two...one for me and the misses. Yeah, the plug is a disapointment, considering how many cords and deviceds/docks I currently have. I'm sure some 3rd party (China) knock-off will be out shortly so we don't have to pay full boat for Apples adapter.
Old 09-13-2012, 9:02 AM
Internet Warrior
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

It's amazing to me how many CGNers can't get enought cheap Chinese products, when there are better alternatives made in Taiwan (HTC) and South Korea (Samsung).
Old 09-13-2012, 9:11 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonzer77 View Post
Can't do much when the boot loader is locked from Motorola. It just seems silly to have to modify a phone to get it to run correctly, shouldn't it be that way when I buy it?
I was running custom ROMs on my Droid2, (a modded version of a DroidX ROM) same kernel as the DroidX AFAIK.

iPhones can't boot Androids off of WiFi, opposite=true... free tether and some Linux knowledge was a big plus, but they are offering free tether with most plans now.

K.I.S.S. iGuess...
Old 09-13-2012, 9:42 AM

I'm holding out on upgrading until I see the Nokia Lumia 920. I have played with the Lumia 900 and was impressed with Windows Phone (WP) operating system. I expect that WP 8 will be even better. Nokia makes seriously nice hardware - on par or better than Apple - IMO of course. But it comes down to user experience and brand loyalty which Apple currently dominates in. I am typing this on my MacBook Pro BTW. Haha.

If you have not see the Lumia line do yourself a favor and check them out. The active tile home screen of WP is genius and from my limited time dabbling with the 900 think the WP is every bit as polished as iOS. WP comes with SkyDrive > iCloud. YMMV.
Old 09-13-2012, 9:56 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMP View Post
It's amazing to me how many CGNers can't get enought cheap Chinese products, when there are better alternatives made in Taiwan (HTC) and South Korea (Samsung).

LOL, yeah, the iPhone is a cheap Chinese product! Reminds me about something a guy once said about cars in San Diego not having bumper stickers!

Old 09-13-2012, 10:32 AM

I'm just gonna wait for the iPhone 5s or iPhone 6.....
Old 09-13-2012, 10:36 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfunk0069 View Post
I'm just gonna wait for the iPhone 5s or iPhone 6.....
Old 09-13-2012, 10:44 AM
Bacon makes it better

Functional obsolescence. Nothing used to be made with the goal that it be replaced so often. Look, you need a new phone. But my old phone still works. Yeah but this one is ****ing magic!
Old 09-13-2012, 10:53 AM
Internet Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doheny View Post
LOL, yeah, the iPhone is a cheap Chinese product! Reminds me about something a guy once said about cars in San Diego not having bumper stickers!

I am glad you are so easily amused.

As far as phones go, the iPhone is the equivalent to a Hi-Point. There are a lot of Hi-Point fanboys on this site, so sometimes people disagree with me, but facts are facts.
Old 09-13-2012, 11:20 AM
Hold my beer & watch this
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by the86d View Post
I was running custom ROMs on my Droid2, (a modded version of a DroidX ROM) same kernel as the DroidX AFAIK.

iPhones can't boot Androids off of WiFi, opposite=true... free tether and some Linux knowledge was a big plus, but they are offering free tether with most plans now.

K.I.S.S. iGuess...
Not really sure what that has to do with the fact the phones boot loader was locked down. Can't really do much at that point and after waiting a few months for someone to crack it I was over it.
Old 09-13-2012, 12:10 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonzer77 View Post
Not really sure what that has to do with the fact the phones boot loader was locked down. Can't really do much at that point and after waiting a few months for someone to crack it I was over it.
They just did a re-init, and circumvented the lock, if I recall correctly.
Old 09-13-2012, 12:17 PM

Quote:

K.I.S.S. iGuess...
Mine can.
Old 09-13-2012, 12:27 PM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
They just did a re-init, and circumvented the lock, if I recall correctly.
Yeah but it took a while and I was checking the developers website daily while they were working on it. I was willing to donate money to whoever could figure it out because the stock OS was terrible. The phone would slow down and freeze while typing and restart so at that point I was done with it.

I have until January to upgrade so I still have a while to decide which phone I want but I am in no means brand loyal.
Old 09-13-2012, 1:06 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marinos View Post
Mine can.
You change the kernel manually? I believe that is what is required, and I didn't think that the snazzy "do it for you" apps did that...
Old 09-13-2012, 1:18 PM
Veteran Member

Hate AT&T for throttling
Old 09-14-2012, 1:31 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:

As far as phones go, the iPhone is the equivalent to a Hi-Point. There are a lot of Hi-Point fanboys on this site, so sometimes people disagree with me, but facts are facts.
Hey buddy if you want to bad mouth the iPhone, then go and make your own thread!

And saying that the iPhone is cheap and equivalent to a Hi-Point is laughable and ridiculous. The iPhone has been reliable and solid and poses to be a good value for people who don't need the equivalent of a linux-based computer. They also retain value better than any other smart phone currently on the market. It seems like your thought process ran into an error there buddy (or perhaps crashed and had to reboot like those android phones).

I once broke a Hi-Point by merely pulling the slide back at a local gun shop... I have never broken an iPhone.

Last edited by perpetual otter; 09-14-2012 at 7:13 AM..
Old 09-14-2012, 5:14 AM

Agreed that's laughable. Have you watched what goes into manufacturing these? I haven't paid for a new phone in 4 years. My 3G rolled into my 4 and now my 4 has been sold and is paying for a 5... Ya that sucks alright
Old 09-14-2012, 12:21 PM
Calguns Addict

iphone. For those used to living in north korea
Old 09-14-2012, 1:17 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:

Please regale us with tales of your legendary phone device and show us the err of our ways.
Old 09-14-2012, 5:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fighterpilot562 View Post
I will be watching but wont buy one. I am happy with my 3gs.
I highly recommend you at least go to the 4 or 4S. The speed difference in my mind when I switched was more than worth the cost. It is very noticeable. And with the 5 now out, the 4 is probably extremely cheap with a new contract.
Old 09-14-2012, 11:01 PM
I need a LIFE!!

This phone has nothing on my Galaxy S3!

The Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms. -- Samuel Adams, Debates and Proceedings in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 86-87 (Pearce and Hale, eds., Boston, 1850)
Old 09-15-2012, 9:12 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDay View Post
This phone has nothing on my Galaxy S3!
Yeah, but you're our resident iPhone hater.

Apparently somebody loves iPhone, because I heard on the news yesterday that Apple plans to sell 40 million of them by the end of the year!
Old 09-15-2012, 10:43 AM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Location: The People's Glorious Republik of Southern Kalifornistan

I had the iphone 3G, and it ran great. I've since had a Droid X and an X2. The Droid X was pretty buggy and froze up or needed to be restarted frequently. The huge screen was at a cost of battery life. The android market is sort of a mess, but then again most apps are free.

I will be buying an iPhone 5. Not because it is the new 'it' phone. I'm too old to care about what people think of my phone. I do know that my IPad 3 is bulletproof and I'm on it all the time (now!). Life with an IPad and Iphone is simplicity and accomplishes everything I need.

Simplicity of use and compatibility between the devices trumps any advantage I see over keeping any droid devices.
Old 09-15-2012, 12:01 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Ricigliano View Post
I had the iphone 3G, and it ran great. I've since had a Droid X and an X2. The Droid X was pretty buggy and froze up or needed to be restarted frequently. The huge screen was at a cost of battery life. The android market is sort of a mess, but then again most apps are free.
The Galaxy S3 has none of these issues.

The Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms. -- Samuel Adams, Debates and Proceedings in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 86-87 (Pearce and Hale, eds., Boston, 1850)
Old 09-15-2012, 12:25 PM

Quote:
The Galaxy S3 has none of these issues.
Yeah but it won't integrate well with my ipad, imac, and my mac book pro. New iphone fits right in and no $$ out of pocket. It makes my life easy.
Old 09-15-2012, 3:10 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve G View Post
Yeah but it won't integrate well with my ipad, imac, and my mac book pro. New iphone fits right in and no $$ out of pocket. It makes my life easy.
And what exactly do you need to "integrate" it for?

Old 09-15-2012, 3:19 PM

To make life easy. Some people like to spend time making money instead of doing a bunch of work arounds.
Old 09-15-2012, 3:19 PM

Quote:
And what exactly do you need to "integrate" it for?
Buy one you will find out fast. I'm sure your Galaxy is perfect for you, I've never touched an android and prob never will. All the talk about overclocking and mods to the phone is Greek to me. I want my phone to work the way I like it out of the box not freeze and not have to do anything PC esque with it. I have used apple products for years, I find they work better for me.
Old 09-15-2012, 6:34 PM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

The beauty of the free market.... We can all buy what we want and be happy. I'd be good with the S3 or the IPhone, but I'll go IPhone. Tens of millions of happy buyers.. They can't all be dumbed down Apple sheeple who are too tech-tarded to handle an android OS.

Maybe despite the fanbois the IPhone is legitimately a good product and worth the money!
Old 09-16-2012, 2:21 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve G View Post
Buy one you will find out fast. I'm sure your Galaxy is perfect for you, I've never touched an android and prob never will. All the talk about overclocking and mods to the phone is Greek to me. I want my phone to work the way I like it out of the box not freeze and not have to do anything PC esque with it. I have used apple products for years, I find they work better for me.
My Galaxy S3 is stock, no need to do anything to it.

Old 09-16-2012, 6:44 PM

Quote:
The beauty of the free market.... We can all buy what we want and be happy. I'd be good with the S3 or the IPhone, but I'll go IPhone. Tens of millions of happy buyers.. They can't all be dumbed down Apple sheeple who are too tech-tarded to handle an android OS.

Maybe despite the fanbois the IPhone is legitimately a good product and worth the money!
S3 has sold over 20 million phones to date. Just saying.....

Also anyone who is upgrading on Verizon with unlimited, there is a way to keep the unlimited data and get the subsidy.

Quote:
My Galaxy S3 is stock, no need to do anything to it.
I agree. With that said I had a custom rom on it in 30 mins after getting home. lol
Old 09-16-2012, 9:44 PM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman21 View Post
S3 has sold over 20 million phones to date. Just saying.....

Also anyone who is upgrading on Verizon with unlimited, there is a way to keep the unlimited data and get the subsidy.

I agree. With that said I had a custom rom on it in 30 mins after getting home. lol

I'd love to know that is possible. The general understanding with Verizon is that if you want a subsidized IPhone 5, you go to tiered data plan. The only way to keep unlimited data is to pay retail for the phone..
Old 09-17-2012, 3:52 AM
Calguns Addict

How many iPhone activations are there every day?

Do they beat over 900,000 New Android activations EVERY day?
Old 09-17-2012, 6:55 AM

Quote:
I'd love to know that is possible. The general understanding with Verizon is that if you want a subsidized IPhone 5, you go to tiered data plan. The only way to keep unlimited data is to pay retail for the phone..
Your understanding is correct.

Quote:
How many iPhone activations are there every day?

Do they beat over 900,000 New Android activations EVERY day?

The iPhone only has 3 models of phones on the market at any given time (now it is the 4, 4s, and 5) and only supports 3 carriers for a subsidized price. Androids have thousands upon thousands of models of phones that are linked with pretty much EVERY carrier. You can buy android outright for boost mobile for 50 bucks, you can buy an unlocked iphone to be used for pay as your go for 600 bucks. Comparing android activations to iphone activations is like comparing chevy sales to ferrari sales....

Frankly, debating iPhone vs Android is a moot point. Both have their pros and cons and people will find their own value in both. What I tell people, if you want ease of use and a very stable platform...iPhone. If you want customization and an open source market readily available...Android. People will go back and forth all day...it is just another "Chevy and Ford" debate.

Last edited by norcalrider; 09-17-2012 at 7:08 AM.. Reason: Fix quote
Old 09-17-2012, 12:13 PM

I don't have tiered data and bought my S3 yesterday. So your understanding is correct but there are two loopholes. It's not free but if you want to keep unlimited and receive the subsidy it's worth it. I will PM people tonight
Old 09-17-2012, 12:40 PM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman21 View Post
I don't have tiered data and bought my S3 yesterday. So your understanding is correct but there are two loopholes. It's not free but if you want to keep unlimited and receive the subsidy it's worth it. I will PM people tonight
Pm me as well, thanks.
Old 09-17-2012, 12:55 PM
Calguns Addict

I love cloak and dagger posts...
Old 09-17-2012, 1:15 PM

I have used an IPhone since the beginning. I will not be getting the 5. I am switching to Android. I am tired of Apple and them making non standard stuff. I have 3 cars, 3 stereos and several other accessories I paid good money to have them integrated with my I Phones. Now they change the connector again. This is it, USB is where they should have gone. Goodbye Apple.