Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns LEOs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns LEOs LEOs; chat, kibitz and relax. Non-LEOs; have a questions for a cop? Ask it here, in a CIVIL manner.

Old 05-18-2013, 8:51 AM

Just had my interview this morning. Any word of when you receive your score? I know it will probably take a few weeks.

Chris
Old 05-18-2013, 9:09 AM

In a few weeks you'll receive a letter with your band rating. Let's hope you score 94.5 or better so that you are on band 1. We are only hiring off of band 1 at this time. Good luck.
Old 05-18-2013, 9:16 AM

Thank you, I'll be hoping for the best.

Just in case I do not make it to band 1, what would be my options from that point forward, as far as remaining in the process or waiting to re-apply?
Old 05-18-2013, 6:00 PM

Depending on the needs of the department, they may go to band 2 but at this point, that is not likely. I believe you have to wait 1 year before you can apply again. This does not preclude you to try to apply for other positions. I know of folks that applied for DPO I and they were in band 2. When they applied for Detention Services Officer they made band 1. They made it in. Later they promoted up the ranks to DPO I. There are always options, you have to have the ability to use them. Good luck

Last edited by CaptMike; 05-19-2013 at 4:53 PM..
Old 05-20-2013, 12:04 PM

Default Waiting for Background

Had the Oral Interview and got my results in early March '13. Got a 95 (band 1). Haven't heard anything since. Is that a problem LtMike?
Old 05-20-2013, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardNGold View Post
Had the Oral Interview and got my results in early March '13. Got a 95 (band 1). Haven't heard anything since. Is that a problem LtMike?
Its for DPO I btw
Old 05-20-2013, 4:28 PM

I would suggest you call the number on your letter and just ask for a status update. I know they were working on the DSO positions first so you may be on standby while they clear those out. A simple brief phone call should be fine though. Don't start calling them everyday because those applicants may be rejected. Good luck
Old 05-21-2013, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LtMike70 View Post
I would suggest you call the number on your letter and just ask for a status update. I know they were working on the DSO positions first so you may be on standby while they clear those out. A simple brief phone call should be fine though. Don't start calling them everyday because those applicants may be rejected. Good luck
I got letter in late March explaining a change in the bulletin. Electronic copies of college transcripts are going to be replaced with official ones and will be requested during background.
When I called a few weeks later since I havent heard anything, they said the letter was give me a heads up on having my transcripts ready. However, no movement has been made.
I heard that additional hiring of DPO I requires approval from the Board of Supervisors. That might explain the delay in the month or so following that phone call. Since the county is coming towards a new fiscal year and AB 109 being a wildcard, I think there is gonna be movement until after the 2013-14 budget is approved.
Old 05-21-2013, 3:57 PM

That movement is happening. They probably haven't gotten to you yet. Our next academy is scheduled for mid july and the one after that is at the end of september. Theyh sholuld be calling soon. Good luck
Old 05-25-2013, 2:24 PM

How many openings are there throughout the county?
Old 05-25-2013, 6:23 PM

In my department there are about 500 positions.

I know LASD is about to start hiring again very soon. The Sheriff went to the board and requested 22 million to hire enough deputies to stop the need to pull deps from some sections to fill other necessary positions. I have several friends that constantly get pulled from their assignment to backfill other positions. I feel really bad for them because they constantly are being pulled in so many directions. If the board gives up the money, then they can hire new Deps to fill the empty positions. I don't know the exact number but I would estimate about 200 positions. There are lots of jobs for peace officers available but all these young folks need to understand that the crap they do today will affect them when they decide they want to apply to be peace officers. Its sad to see so many young people get DQed. They think the stuff they did is not going to matter but in fact it can. Good luck.
Old 06-05-2013, 9:17 AM

I am wondering if anybody in here has received any phone call from the background investigator yet? I took my oral interview almost 2 months but have not heard anything yet.
Thank you
Old 06-05-2013, 6:11 PM

make a call to the number listed on your band letter. Just ask them if they could please give you a status update on your application process. good luck.
Old 06-05-2013, 9:04 PM

Thank you, LtMike. I called but they gave me a vague answer. They told me that i have one year to be got hired.
Thank you
Old 06-06-2013, 7:36 AM

I am waiting too. They gave me the same generic answer. The background investigation is suppose to be the quick part :/ It's seems like there aren't as many openings as LA County portrayed initially. It is frustrating to possibly wait a year, and your number may not even be pulled. At this point, it seems like I have a better chance at winning the Powerball's jackpot versus getting a logical response from HR.
Old 06-07-2013, 5:03 PM

Well, I just had my panel interview on 6/1/13. Got my results on 6/6/13. Ended on band V with a final score of 105. Lets see what happens now?
Old 06-07-2013, 6:32 PM

A good quote that was told to me when I started was"hurry up and wait."
Old 06-10-2013, 9:07 PM

Got the background investigation package today 6/10/13. Lets see what happens now?
Old 06-11-2013, 7:21 AM

Did they mail you the background package?
Old 06-11-2013, 5:20 PM

Yes.
Old 06-12-2013, 10:40 PM

Default background packet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naval60 View Post
Yes.
Do you know how many people have received the background packet? I am on band 1 but i have not received anything at all. Do you have any info about hiring process?
thank you
Old 06-13-2013, 10:57 PM

Well, I have my investigation interview in a couple of days. I was told that they were going to be expecting around 50 applicants for the same thing.
Old 06-25-2013, 12:28 PM

Background interview was this past Saturday. Investigator reviewed my packet, confirm a few things, and had me sign a few things. After that he asked me to log into Facebook and he reviewed my profile. Once that was done, went to get a LiveScan. The whole process was about an hour and there about 50 others on the sign in sheet with different times throughout the day.

My review is pending. Awaiting to get a hard copy letter of my credit report. It takes 10 business days to process. Once I hand that over, the investigator will get started.
Old 06-25-2013, 2:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardNGold View Post
Background interview was this past Saturday. Investigator reviewed my packet, confirm a few things, and had me sign a few things. After that he asked me to log into Facebook and he reviewed my profile. Once that was done, went to get a LiveScan. The whole process was about an hour and there about 50 others on the sign in sheet with different times throughout the day.

My review is pending. Awaiting to get a hard copy letter of my credit report. It takes 10 business days to process. Once I hand that over, the investigator will get started.
Why would they check your facebook profile? What does that have to do with your hiring process? So what if you didnt have one, would it matter?
Old 06-25-2013, 2:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabtechprerunner View Post
Why would they check your facebook profile? What does that have to do with your hiring process? So what if you didnt have one, would it matter?
To see if you have anything inappropriate. Some people are dumb enough to have compromising pictures about their behavior on their profile.

I don't know what they do if you didn't have one. You did have to fill out a form disclosing if your ever used social media, and if so which sites. I have a twitter and a Instagram but he didn't care to see those.
Old 06-25-2013, 3:41 PM

Just part of the hiring process now. Every part of your life will be looked at and scrutinized. Be open and honest.
Old 06-25-2013, 10:52 PM

Default Hello

Hi CardnGold, Can you please tell me which band that they were placed you on ? and what was your score on your oral interview ?
Thank you
Old 06-25-2013, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabtechprerunner View Post
When people apply to law enforcement jobs, your expectation of privacy goes out the window. Since social media is part of our everyday lives, it is now included in LEO background investigations. If you dont have an account, it is not held against you. But if you lie that you dont have one and we find it, you will be disqualified from the process for being a liar. as has been stated, if you want to be an officer, you need to be honest. If you dont want to have your facebook or other social media sites reviewed, then dont apply for law enforcement jobs. good luck everyone.
Old 06-26-2013, 3:30 PM
Veteran Member

There have been plenty of instances of LEO's being terminated for totally legal things they have said/posted pictures of (which occurred "off duty") on their social media sites. And most of those terminations have been upheld... Thus why I don't belong to any social media sites.
Old 06-26-2013, 3:56 PM

Looks like I'm in the same position as a lot of people. Took the test in March, interviewed April 27th, received my score on May 4th (scored 100) then nothing since then. I'm getting antsy!
Old 07-01-2013, 10:32 AM

Default Next academy class?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LtMike70 View Post
When people apply to law enforcement jobs, your expectation of privacy goes out the window. Since social media is part of our everyday lives, it is now included in LEO background investigations. If you dont have an account, it is not held against you. But if you lie that you dont have one and we find it, you will be disqualified from the process for being a liar. as has been stated, if you want to be an officer, you need to be honest. If you dont want to have your facebook or other social media sites reviewed, then dont apply for law enforcement jobs. good luck everyone.
LTmike70, Do you know when is the next DPO academy class?
Thank you
Old 07-01-2013, 9:20 PM

Default Didn't pass background check???

Hello,

I recently received a denial letter for the DSO position, because of my driving record. They stated that i have exceeded the amount of vehicle code violations and failure to appears. I submitted my appeal immediately, stating that the DSO job description only states that you can not exceed more than 4 moving violations in the last 2 years (which i haven't). It didn't state anything about FTA. I have 2 failure to appears on my record, one in 2007, and one in 2011. My license is valid and everything has been taken care of. My questions are:

1. how often are appeals turned around?
2. What is the limit of FTA's one person can have?
3. Is this a legitimate reason to deny a candidate from this position?

I do want to add that my test and interview score was a 96 (band one) and i submitted everything correctly with my background packet.

Please help, because I'm going crazy with the results.

Last edited by LSH03; 07-01-2013 at 10:27 PM..
Old 07-01-2013, 9:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSH03 View Post
Hello,

I recently received a denial letter for the DSO position, because of my driving record. They stated that i have exceeded the amount of vehicle code violations and failure to appears. I submitted my appeal immediately, stating that the DSO job description only states that you can not exceed more than 4 moving violations in the last 2 years (which i haven't). It dent state anything about FTA. I have 2 failure to appears on my record, one in 2007, and one in 2011. My license is valid and everything has been taken care of. My questions are:

1. how often are appeals turned around?
2. What is the limit of FTA's one person can have?
3. Is this a legitimate reason to deny a candidate from this position?

I do want to add that my test and interview score was a 96 (band one) and i submitted everything correctly with my background packet.

Please help, because I'm going crazy with the results.

When did you take your oral interview? and how long were they conducted your background check?
Thank you
Old 07-01-2013, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernboy View Post
When did you take your oral interview? and how long were they conducted your background check?
Thank you
My oral interview was in March or April 2012, my background interview was in March 2013. I got the rejection letter at the beginning of June.
Old 07-01-2013, 11:12 PM

The next academy starts on July 12 and graduates August 30. The last class this year is scheduled at the end of september.

@LSH03
Each appeal is reviewed independently so I cannot give you a fixed number. A few are reversed but not to many.

In regards to FTAs, there is no set limit, but you have to understand that an FTA is a serious matter. As peace officers, we are expected to hold ourselves to a higher level than the general public. Additionally, as Deputy Probation Officers, we are actually officers of the court. We work for judges. An FTA can be perceived as disregarding the authority of the court. Since we work primarily for the courts, we tend to view FTAs as a negative. Now understand that I don't work in backgrounds and have not reviewed your background packet, but a background investigator looks at all aspects of an applicants life. We inderstand that people make mistakes and that you can learn from those mistakes and become a better person. What we look at is what have you done to better yourself since the last distant mistake. Having an FTA in your distant past, but not having any citations since, would show that you learned from that past mistake. Additionally, in that same time period since that distant FTA you have volunteered at your church, completed a bachelors degree and possibly joined the air force reserve. All of these positive things begin to reduce the negative impact of that distant FTA. You don't have to be perfect, but if you have more negatives than positives, it makes it difficult for the department to take a chance on you at this time. I don't want to dash your hopes but it will be difficult to get past your recent history. It does not mean that you are DQ'ed for life, but what you do from this day forward will dictate your chances in the future. Good luck.
Old 07-02-2013, 10:03 AM

LTMike70, Why does LA County require Bachelors degree for DPO and DSO? Where as Orange County its not required. I know things vary from county to county, but it still seems odd to me. Its states 60-90 units. Which 60 is eqiuvelant to an Associates and the 90 is almost a Bachelors.

Last edited by fabtechprerunner; 07-02-2013 at 10:11 AM..
Old 07-02-2013, 3:26 PM

DPO requires a bachelors degree. The reason for it is that as a DPO you wear the hat of a law enforcement officer, social worker and a counselor. The idea being that every BA degree requires some training in humanities, psychology or other related field.

The DSO position requires an equivalent of an associates degree. That is either 60 semester units or 90 quarter units. Some colleges award quarter units while other colleges award semester units. Ultimately, depending on which school you attend, you have the equivalent of an associates degree.

Good luck
Old 07-05-2013, 5:33 PM

I recieved notice that I am in band 1 on the 15th of May. I am still waiting...
Old 07-08-2013, 4:02 PM

Default Thank You Pryde

Wow! This answers alot! This makes alot of sense. I just applied. My written and oral should carry over I assume?
Old 07-08-2013, 4:39 PM

The written carries over but the oral does not. Its a slightly different job spec so you have to complete a new interview. All of the rest will process concurrently. If you end up on both lists, you will get the call for whatever position we need. Good luck.

Last edited by CaptMike; 07-14-2013 at 8:44 AM..