Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Competition, Action Shooting And Training.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Competition, Action Shooting And Training. Competition, Three gun, IPSC, IDPA , and Training discussion here.

Old 02-12-2010, 2:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by titus7 View Post
So your not standing there on the firing line by your self while fumbling around with your bullet button thats attached to a ripcord lanyard clipped to your belt? Not to mention the Radio Flyer wagon that your pulling behind you full of 10rnd Pmags just to carry the required ammo that everyone else is carrying on their vest?

I can only imagine what it is like to run a class with just 10rd magazines, but that shouldn't hinder someone from joining. Back when I shot a few USPS matches I had registered for Limited-10. It can be done!
Old 02-12-2010, 10:08 PM

I gotta ask, how was the muzzle discipline from the students in this class? Were there any outrageous things done by certain students? I was there for the G21C malfunction, that was interesting.

SIR YES SIR!!!!!! lols....
Old 02-14-2010, 7:50 AM

I was discussing the stupid CA laws on semi-autos with Travis and Chris... they were surprised that no one yet has used a SOCOM 16 or Mini-14 with preban mags.
Old 02-14-2010, 8:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenArrow View Post
I was discussing the stupid CA laws on semi-autos with Travis and Chris... they were surprised that no one yet has used a SOCOM 16 or Mini-14 with preban mags.
Thats probably because they weigh a ton...(socom16)
Old 02-14-2010, 8:16 AM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Man, I took a Dynamic Carbine II class and shot an iron sighted AK. The recoil during BSA drills was just about the limit for me. I can't imagine taking this class with a .308 carbine. Granted, i've never shot a SOCOM 16 but I do have a 16" CETME w/prebans. I certainly don't want to shoot that thing fast nor would I want to haul it around for 2-3 days

ETA: The manual of arms for those weapon systems (AK,SOCOM-16, mini-14,CETME) is not as ergonomic or intuitive as an AR platform.

Last edited by arfan66; 02-14-2010 at 8:21 AM.. Reason: content
Old 02-14-2010, 8:24 AM

That would be crazy difficult. 3 days of a SOCOM 16 kicking your *** and dragging that weight around would SUCK!

I would think that if you had some pre-ban mags for your AR and a G-Pik, you should be up to par with everyone else.

"Doctrine is the last refuge of the unimaginative." - General James "Chaos" Mattis, USMC
Old 02-14-2010, 12:51 PM

Check with MaceWindu, I could have sworn seeing him post about training with an M1A. Gotta love honest to goodness battle rifles, they are a blast!
Old 02-14-2010, 5:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdC View Post
A few guys had some double feed problems and I had one FTE that took me off the line so I could punch it out, but almost everyone was running consistently. The only person's gun that continued to have problems was Chris Costa's.
Then quit using the generic Wolf ammo. LOL. Costa had a couple R&D AR's and yep they weren't quite running right. He loned his one working rifle off to a classmate. A very cool move. Nice shooting with you guys. We had a great range.
Old 02-14-2010, 8:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sick Boy View Post
I would think that if you had some pre-ban mags for your AR and a G-Pik, you should be up to par with everyone else.
Assuming the G-Pik was for a bullet button, you would not want to use pre-bans because high-cap mags in a bullet button build = illegal assault weapon.
Old 02-15-2010, 6:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooter172 View Post
Then quit using the generic Wolf ammo. LOL. Costa had a couple R&D AR's and yep they weren't quite running right. He loned his one working rifle off to a classmate. A very cool move. Nice shooting with you guys. We had a great range.
Man! Calling me out on the generic ammo! OK, OK I'll step up and actually buy the more expensive stuff with the picture of a Wolf on the box. Jeeez, next you'll expect me to actually clean and lubricate my gun.
Travis came to me and asked to have some of my crap ammo so he could see if it would jam one of his R&D weapons. I was honored to be able provide such a vital service.
Yeah, a great 3 days and looking forward to seeing you guys on the range. See some of you in Carbine 2 in November? (I'll bring the Wolf)
Old 02-15-2010, 6:59 AM

ColdC,

Were you the one running Wolf in your AR? I was the one who helped you get that rimless case out of your carbine.
Old 02-15-2010, 7:18 AM

Quote:
ColdC,

Were you the one running Wolf in your AR? I was the one who helped you get that rimless case out of your carbine.
Eh...that was actually Tula ammo. "Generic Wolf." THANKS for the use of the cleaning rod! Appreciated the help & great meeting & shooting with you.
Carbine 2 in November?
Old 02-15-2010, 8:12 AM

Quote:
Man! Calling me out on the generic ammo! OK, OK I'll step up and actually buy the more expensive stuff with the picture of a Wolf on the box. Jeeez, next you'll expect me to actually clean and lubricate my gun.
LMAO. Just got back from a two day Tact Shotgun course. I still had some bruises left over from the week before, and now I've got a few new ones... Next thing you know you'll be bringing an EZ-Up with ya. I think that was my dewey rod, LOL.
Old 02-15-2010, 10:25 AM

Why dont you guys just take the class out of state? Why are you putting up with commiefornias ridiculous gun laws? And for those that say train how you will run your set up are you really going to be running a bb in a marshal law type situation, which is the only time use of these training/tactics make sense. At least to me... I just dont get it
Old 02-15-2010, 11:01 AM

Don't you live in CA?
Old 02-15-2010, 11:22 AM
Calguns Addict

deleted
‎"If Congress can do whatever in their discretion can be done by money, and will promote the General Welfare, the Government is no longer a limited one, possessing enumerated powers, but an indefinite one, subject to particular exceptions."
--James Madison
'Letter to Edmund Pendleton', 1792

Last edited by PatriotnMore; 02-15-2010 at 11:33 AM..
Old 02-15-2010, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatriotnMore View Post
Was someone wanting to be incognito from the camera? because I am trying to understand the face paint.
that is his face without facepaint. he had some kind of skin problem I think..
Old 02-15-2010, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_KT View Post
Don't you live in CA?
Yes and as soon as im done with school I will be leaving but if I take a carbine class from now till then, you bet your *** its goint to be in nevada colorado or arizona... brother works for jet blue I'm pretty sure I can fly for free lol
Old 02-15-2010, 1:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyRooks View Post
that is his face without facepaint. he had some kind of skin problem I think..
I didn't ask him but it appeared he had Vitiligo. I did hear Costa asking him about it. No matter, he was a really great guy from Vegas and I enjoyed joking around with him and shooting with him. If you remember he was the guy that Travis had him have an impromptu handgun draw contest against Costa. He was just as fast as Costa and even beat him once. You can see for yourself; the ninth picture on the 2nd page of this thread.
Old 02-15-2010, 4:33 PM

Quote:
Eh...that was actually Tula ammo. "Generic Wolf." THANKS for the use of the cleaning rod! Appreciated the help & great meeting & shooting with you.
Carbine 2 in November?
No problem! I was there to help Chris, Travis and everyone out with hardware issues.

I should be in the classes coming up (handgun in Oct. and carbine in Nov.).
Old 02-15-2010, 5:29 PM

Quote:
I didn't ask him but it appeared he had Vitiligo. I did hear Costa asking him about it. No matter, he was a really great guy from Vegas and I enjoyed joking around with him and shooting with him. If you remember he was the guy that Travis had him have an impromptu handgun draw contest against Costa. He was just as fast as Costa and even beat him once. You can see for yourself; the ninth picture on the 2nd page of this thread.
That is correct. We have done a lot of handgun shooting with him. He is very fast...
Old 02-17-2010, 9:57 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedRock View Post
They're like you and me, they get up every morning and take a ****.
I don't know about you but I sure don't have 100s of 1000s of rounds worth of practice behind an AR...
Old 02-18-2010, 9:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkinDomino View Post
I don't know about you but I sure don't have 100s of 1000s of rounds worth of practice behind an AR...
True..Most people don't have the money and resources to be able to train like that, but that's not the point I'm making. The point is marketing. Magpul Dynamics puts on good courses. Haley and Costa deserve their respect as good instructors, but some people that have no exposure to real training and all they have to reference is what they saw in a DVD or on youtube, and they somehow form an opinion on the instructors, that's just scary. It's like everything else. There is no one way of doing things. Don't get star struck because you saw a couple of dudes shooting really fast in video clip. Take different courses, get different opinions, and use what works for you.
And for the love of god, don't have any preconceived notions going into a course just because of the marketing. Take the course with an unbiased attitude, and I believe you'll get more out of it.

Last edited by SpeedRock; 02-18-2010 at 10:42 AM..
Old 02-18-2010, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Take different courses, get different opinions, and use what works for you.
And for the love of god, don't have any preconceived notions going into a course just because of the marketing. Take the course with an unbiased attitude, and I believe you'll get more out of it.
Love it.

My sentiments exactly. I have not taken a Magpul class, but that is on my list of "to do" as far as training is concerned. The big name schools definitely have their attraction and for good reason, however, I hope students do not discount the "little guys."

I will even go a bit further and say that shooting ability is not everything as I have outshot a friend of mine who is a good instructor and one of the "little guys." His real world experience, lessons learned in and out of class and ability to convey concepts are what makes me heed his advice.

Last edited by Jim_KT; 02-18-2010 at 10:21 AM..
Old 04-02-2010, 6:05 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lehn20 View Post
Anyone outside CA can bring in their "evil" toys, SBRs, AW's etc for training in CA. As long as they take them back home after the course/class is over.
Magpul is in a free state, so they can own whatever.
JUST PLAIN IDIOTICALLY WRONG
WRONG.
WRONG.
WRONG.
WRONG.
WRONG.

And again WRONG. TRAINING is NOT EXEMPTED. COMPETITION IS NOT TRAINING.

RTFL!!!!

Someone will get busted on this. People are making assumptions, and you know what they say about ***-umptions.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
12280(m) PC. Subdivisions (a), and (b), and (c) [of 12280PC] shall not apply to the possession and importation
of an assault weapon or a 50BMG rifle into this state by a nonresident if all of the following conditions are met:

(1) The person is attending or going directly to or coming directly from an organized competitive match or
league competition that involves the use of an assault weapon or a 50BMG rifle.

(2) The competition or match is conducted on the premises of one of the following:
(A) A target range that holds a regulatory or business license
for the purpose of practicing shooting at that target range.

(B) A target range of a public or private club or organization that
is organized for the purpose of practicing shooting at targets.
(3) The match or competition is sponsored by, conducted under the auspices of, or approved by, a law
enforcement agency or a nationally or state recognized entity that fosters proficiency in, or promotes
education about, firearms.

(4) The assault weapon or 50BMG rifle is transported in accordance with Section 12026.1 or 12026.2.

(5) The person is 18 years of age or over and is not in a class of persons prohibited from possessing firearms
by virtue of Section 12021 or 12021.1 of this code or Section 8100 or 8103 of the Welfare and Institutions Code.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The "competiton exemption" is very murky, but clearly a "shoot" or "training" doesn't qualify - gotta be formal competition by a recognized entity (say, a CRPA or NRA match, IPSC, something like that - not the lower Hayward Roller Derby League Memorial Tin-Can Shoot.)

And most all 'training' is organized by the training and there's no real 'sponsor'. Combine that with the lack of a 'match' and it's going downhill fast.

IN ADDITION THE "COMPETITION EXEMPTION" ONLY REFERS TO AWs AND DOES NOT ALLOW IMPORTATION OF HICAP MAGS.

Out-of-staters coming directly to/from a legitimate, scheduled sanctioned match with no overnight stays or side shopping trips or visit to relatives might make it. It's certainly defendable, but I'd bet one bad traffic stop could put them in a world of hurt including bail and lawyer costs (and he may well not know about CGF).

"Training" DOES NOT COUNT. Even if it's cops. Remember, 12280(m) uses the phrase "all of the following". Missing one item makes it invalid.

I believe several trainers may well be way too loosey-goosey and coming into CA with unreg'd AWs. They think they're protected because they're training cops. And probably some of the cops there have unreg'd AWs.

ALSO THE ABOVE IS JUST FOR Calif-defined AWs. SBRs/MGs/SBSes/can laws in CA are even more strict. I'd bet many if not most trainers do not have any CA paperwork for any of these devices.

Bill Wiese
San Jose, CA

CGF Board Member / NRA Benefactor Life Member / CRPA life member

No postings of mine here, unless otherwise specifically noted, are
to be construed as formal or informal positions of the Calguns.Net
ownership, The Calguns Foundation, Inc. ("CGF"), the NRA, or my
employer. No posts of mine on Calguns are to be construed as
legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.

Last edited by bwiese; 04-02-2010 at 6:09 PM..