Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > 2nd Amend. Litigation Updates & Legal Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

2nd Amend. Litigation Updates & Legal Discussion Discuss California 2A related litigation and legal topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Closed Thread

Old 11-07-2017, 8:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemasa View Post
There is no incentive for the government to rush to do anything. If the law was put on hold until it was shown to be Constitutional by ALL the courts, then you would see a much different response.
All you guys seem to think there is some kind of conspiracy to delay these cases. The fact is that the Ninth Circuit is the largest and the busiest circuit in the entire federal system. In each and every case, the judges read the entire record from below, many perform their own legal research. With a back log of cases years long, and with a statutory preference given to criminal cases, the civil cases lag behind. Moreover, in some cases, the law is suspended pending further proceedings, albeit rarely, and those cases proceed at the same pace as all the others.

Patience, grasshoppers.
Old 11-07-2017, 8:33 PM
Veteran Member

The federal District Courts don't do anything in less than 8 months in California.
Old 11-08-2017, 8:07 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruOil View Post
All you guys seem to think there is some kind of conspiracy to delay these cases. The fact is that the Ninth Circuit is the largest and the busiest circuit in the entire federal system. In each and every case, the judges read the entire record from below, many perform their own legal research. With a back log of cases years long, and with a statutory preference given to criminal cases, the civil cases lag behind. Moreover, in some cases, the law is suspended pending further proceedings, albeit rarely, and those cases proceed at the same pace as all the others.

Patience, grasshoppers.
Curiously, the "travel ban" zipped right through the 9th circus
Old 11-08-2017, 11:45 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:

Patience, grasshoppers.

In my opinion all cases with abridgment of Rights at issue the law should be suspended until resolved.

Patience is not an option when it comes to government interference with our Rights.

Quote:
If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge nor jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim.
Col. Jeff Cooper
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAN compnerd View Post
It's the flu for crying out loud, just stop.
Old 11-08-2017, 3:26 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
All you guys seem to think there is some kind of conspiracy to delay these cases.
Please don't quote me and make things up. No one said anything about a conspiracy except you. I said that there is no reason for them to quickly get it done. The law gets to be enforced, with rare exceptions, until they decide and it also delays any appeals and getting to the SC.

As shown, they can get things through if they want, which shows that they have no incentive to get this done. Don't try to imply other things.

Don't tell someone to read the rules he wrote or tell him that he is wrong.

Never try to teach a pig to sing. You waste your time and you annoy the pig. - Robert A. Heinlein
Old 11-09-2017, 6:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EM2 View Post
In my opinion all cases with abridgment of Rights at issue the law should be suspended until resolved.

Patience is not an option when it comes to government interference with our Rights.
This ^^^^^

www.BlackRiverTraining.com
Old 11-14-2017, 7:10 AM

So do you think the judges heard the case in March and wrote their decisions and are sitting on them, or do you think they heard the case, sat around for now going on 8 months and will whip something up later when they get around to it?

They cant possibly remember anything besides the gist of the case at this point.
Old 11-14-2017, 8:04 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:

True, but the rights are NOT abridged until the court determines they are, so, as we are waiting, our rights are technically intact because the court says so. That's the catch. A circular argument with no easy way around it.

It's like online shopping using overnight shipping. It's only "overnight" from the point the shipment is ready, so you end up with multiple days waiting for it. In the roster case, our item "hasn't shipped yet."
Old 11-14-2017, 8:07 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamVIP View Post
They cant possibly remember anything besides the gist of the case at this point.
They have all the documents and they also wrote down anything from the orals they were interested in. Orals were only to ask questions and get clarifications anyway. The legal arguments are written down by each side.
Old 11-14-2017, 8:33 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:

Cute, but you're not thinking. Remember, all laws are presumed Constitutional, so until a court makes the determination, they are, by default, NOT infringing on your rights.

Plus, what happens when some idiot says every single law in existence infringes on his rights? In your nightmare system, we then suspend every law, and live in the Wild West as the judicial system is forced to iterate through every law on the books, taking centuries to resolve? Yeah, bad idea and then some.
Old 11-14-2017, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IVC View Post
They have all the documents and they also wrote down anything from the orals they were interested in. Orals were only to ask questions and get clarifications anyway. The legal arguments are written down by each side.
Orals are recorded. There is most likely a transcript of the oral arguments that can be referred to.
Old 11-14-2017, 10:42 AM

Quote:
True, but the rights are NOT abridged until the court determines they are, so, as we are waiting, our rights are technically intact because the court says so. That's the catch. A circular argument with no easy way around it.

It's like online shopping using overnight shipping. It's only "overnight" from the point the shipment is ready, so you end up with multiple days waiting for it. In the roster case, our item "hasn't shipped yet."
Probably hasn't even had a shipping label prepared for it.
Old 11-14-2017, 10:46 AM
Veteran Member

You are correct. However, there IS precedent for government NOT having a blanket presumption of constitutionality. One example that comes to mind is the Voting Rights Act - where States found to have a history or rights suppression had to get pre-approval from DOJ before making new laws affecting voting rights.
This is exactly what I would like to see for the relatively few States that continue to treat 2A rights as privileges. Politically, given that 40+ States already treat those rights appropriately, I would think it would be an easy (er) political lift.
Another from here in CA is the prison system, which was put under Federal receivership. I'd like to see the same kind of thing done to the gun unit at DOJ - which would help address the under the table regs, Rube Goldberg background check system designed to prevent instant approvals and require maximum human intervention (cost) and an organization dedicated to doing the Legislatures dirty work.
Old 11-14-2017, 11:42 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:

That logic only works if you believe that the government gives us our Rights.
If you believe that Rights are inherent in being a Human and totally unrelated to government, than it is easy to understand that they have been abridged regardless of what the courts say.

Quote:
If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge nor jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim.
Col. Jeff Cooper
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAN compnerd View Post
It's the flu for crying out loud, just stop.
Old 11-14-2017, 11:49 AM
I need a LIFE!!

It also only works if you assume that the politicians are ethical and honest, that they don't pass laws that they want to see enforced for decades and will pass more laws when those previous laws have been tossed out in court. Sadly, it is a bad assumption to believe that.

Take a look at the CA smog impact fee and how that was handled. It shows that the government did not care about what was right, just what they could get away with. They don't face the fear of jail for their theft of money and fraudulent acts. The same law was tossed in FL, but continued to be enforced in CA until years later it was tossed. Then they had a form that could be filled out to get a refund, but they did not send notice to those who they had collected the fee from.

Don't tell someone to read the rules he wrote or tell him that he is wrong.

Never try to teach a pig to sing. You waste your time and you annoy the pig. - Robert A. Heinlein
Old 11-14-2017, 4:56 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aBrowningfan View Post
Orals are recorded. There is most likely a transcript of the oral arguments that can be referred to.
Sure. What I meant was that the orals are more of a formality where judges clarify any issues they might personally have. Most of the case is decided based on references and legal arguments in briefs.
Old 11-14-2017, 5:01 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
That logic only works if you believe that the government gives us our Rights.
If you believe that Rights are inherent in being a Human and totally unrelated to government, than it is easy to understand that they have been abridged regardless of what the courts say.
Regardless of how/when/where/why we have rights, when there is a disagreement with respect to what a right really means, that disagreement must be resolved. Remember, one side says "our rights are infringed," but the other side says "no, your rights are fine." Someone has to determine who is correct.

Until that determination is made, you cannot claim that our rights are infringed because you are still in the process of *determining* whether you're right or wrong. If/when our side wins, of course we will say "our rights HAVE BEEN infringed all this time," but it's a moot point since the courts will reverse the law at that time anyways.

However, if we lose, then the other side says: "see, we told you so. You were fine all along."
Old 12-13-2017, 6:23 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Q: Is our side putting all our eggs in the Pena basket, or are there other attacks (legal or political) on the roster that I don't know about?
Old 12-13-2017, 9:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
Q: Is our side putting all our eggs in the Pena basket, or are there other attacks (legal or political) on the roster that I don't know about?
I’m sure you already know about NSSF vs State of California, does that count? It’s not attack on the roster as a whole, but elimination of the microstamping requirement would remove the most draconian aspect of the roster, and allow at least some new pistol models to to be introduced into the CA market.

I too am interested if there are any other irons in the fire on the roster as a whole, I’m not aware of any.
Old 12-13-2017, 9:36 PM

Quote:
There's NSSF V. State of California, but i think that one is just primarily going after Microstamping.
Old 12-14-2017, 2:53 PM
Veteran Member

Hopefully this getting dragged out for what seems like forever shoots the liberals in the foot and we get a conservative replacement for Ginsberg in the meantime.
Old 12-14-2017, 6:47 PM

Prediction for 2018, Ginsberg meets her maker, Lucifer!
Old 12-14-2017, 8:59 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Thanks for the replies, guys.

Yeah, I guess we're ----ed until Trump/Pence can replace Kennedy or 1 of the 4 antis with another Scalia clone.

FWIW I saw an article that suggested Roy Moore losing the race for senator from AL may ensure that Kennedy steps down at the end of this term. Why? Because it increases the odds that Dems could win the Senate in Nov and stop any Trump SCOTUS pick from Jan 2019 until he leaves office in Jan 2021. Kennedy would not want that to happen. He knows how SCOTUS needs a full complement of justices to function optimally and 2 years of only 8 justices would be a disaster.
Old 12-15-2017, 8:13 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the replies, guys.

FWIW I saw an article that suggested Roy Moore losing the race for senator from AL may ensure that Kennedy steps down at the end of this term. Why? Because it increases the odds that Dems could win the Senate in Nov and stop any Trump SCOTUS pick from Jan 2019 until he leaves office in Jan 2021. Kennedy would not want that to happen. He knows how SCOTUS needs a full complement of justices to function optimally and 2 years of only 8 justices would be a disaster.
Interesting spin. It is reasonable, but I would guess he would rather there be 8 than a conservative majority.
Old 12-15-2017, 6:06 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladiver View Post
Interesting spin. It is reasonable, but I would guess he would rather there be 8 than a conservative majority.
IIRC, the article said Kennedy cares more about the caliber of the nominees than their ideology.

The article noted that Gorsuch clerked under Kennedy and that two of the top picks on Trump's "short list" also clerked for Kennedy.

Since Kennedy sees that Trump's "taste" in judges is similar to his taste in law clerks, the "spin"/theory may have some validity: Kennedy may not be opposed to Trump choosing his replacement in 2018 versus who knows in 2020.

Last edited by Paladin; 12-15-2017 at 6:08 PM..
Old 12-16-2017, 7:02 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
IIRC, the article said Kennedy cares more about the caliber of the nominees than their ideology.

The article noted that Gorsuch clerked under Kennedy and that two of the top picks on Trump's "short list" also clerked for Kennedy.

Since Kennedy sees that Trump's "taste" in judges is similar to his taste in law clerks, the "spin"/theory may have some validity: Kennedy may not be opposed to Trump choosing his replacement in 2018 versus who knows in 2020.
It seems like good etiquette for a judge to allow their party to replace them. It's possible Kennedy may never see another Republican president in his life time. Ginsberg made this mistake not retiring when Obama was in office. I would think Kennedy doesn't want to make a similar mistake.
Old 12-27-2017, 2:55 PM

Just donated $100 to CGF to help the fight over the roster.
Old 12-27-2017, 8:13 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by abinsinia View Post
It seems like good etiquette for a judge to allow their party to replace them. It's possible Kennedy may never see another Republican president in his life time. Ginsberg made this mistake not retiring when Obama was in office. I would think Kennedy doesn't want to make a similar mistake.
But Ginsberg did not believe that Trump would win, which is demonstrated by her statement that she would leave the US if he won. So now she has to try and hold on in the hope that a libtard can retake the WH in 2020.

While Kennedy may be a Republican, that does not mean that he is a Trump fan or supporter. So the question is how he views Gorsuch's appointment and what promises would be needed to get him to retire. I would think that a very short list of proposed nominees might help.
Old 01-05-2018, 5:53 PM

any updates with this or is it still stalling in court?
Old 01-05-2018, 6:26 PM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Waiting for SCOTUS to consider the request. Follow along as SCOTUSblog - http://www.scotusblog.com/2018/01/pe...5/#more-265307

First conference was today.

Frozen in 2015, it is falling out of date and I can no longer edit the content. But much of it is still good!
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane."

- Marcus Aurelius
Ann Althouse: “Begin with the hypothesis that what they did is what they wanted to do. If they postured that they wanted to do something else, regard that as a con. Work from there. The world will make much more sense.”

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Old 01-05-2018, 6:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarian View Post
Waiting for SCOTUS to consider the request.
Sorry if I'm horrible confused, but I thought we were waiting a decision from CA9?
Old 01-05-2018, 9:05 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diinky View Post
Sorry if I'm horrible confused, but I thought we were waiting a decision from CA9?
Err, um, ah, yes, that's right.

I lost track ...

Frozen in 2015, it is falling out of date and I can no longer edit the content. But much of it is still good!
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane."

- Marcus Aurelius
Ann Althouse: “Begin with the hypothesis that what they did is what they wanted to do. If they postured that they wanted to do something else, regard that as a con. Work from there. The world will make much more sense.”

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Old 01-05-2018, 9:12 PM

Quote:

I lost track ...
Old 01-05-2018, 9:26 PM
Agent 86
CGN Contributor

It was just a momentary disconnection from the Collective.
You don't think that he holds all this info in his head by himself, do you?

He's OK now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citadelgrad87 View Post
I don't really care, I just like to argue.
Old 01-09-2018, 9:14 AM

Bump with good vibes because I want one of those new p365s.
Old 01-09-2018, 9:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamVIP View Post
Bump with good vibes because I want one of those new p365s.
I just want a Colt .38 Super that doesn't cost me a 2nd mortage.
Old 01-09-2018, 9:29 AM
Spent $299 for this text!

Quote:

I lost track ...
Someone forgot to give Librarian the latest firmware update

Old 01-09-2018, 12:39 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockedandglocked View Post
Someone forgot to give Librarian the latest firmware update

Sometimes I think Lib is a bot. I don't know how he knows so much information and regurgitate it at will. He's probably a T-1000 and CGN is Skynet. They probably created him to store data and to maintain the site.
2.5" Smith & Wesson Model 66
4" Smith & Wesson Model 19
3.5" Smith & Wesson Model 29
Colt Series 70 1911
Sig Sauer West German P228
Glock Gen5 19/17/34 MOS
Old 01-09-2018, 12:50 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by phdo View Post
Sometimes I think Lib is a bot. I don't know how he knows so much information and regurgitate it at will. He's probably a T-1000 and CGN is Skynet. They probably created him to store data and to maintain the site.
Of course he is. You didn’t think he was human did you?

It’s the CGN software alert monitor/moderator
Old 01-09-2018, 1:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phdo View Post
He/She might need an update here pretty soon based on the last comment.
Closed Thread