Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Northern California Chapters > Sacramento Chapter
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-18-2017, 4:04 PM

Default Looks Like Cordova's days are numbered

Haven't seen this posted elsewhere. Saw this last night:

http://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2017/...ova-gun-range/

RANCHO CORDOVA (CBS13) Its been a popular shooting range for more than 30 years but now it may be forced to close.

The Cordova Recreation and Park District put off a decision to renew the lease for the Cordova Shooting Center off Douglas Road until July.

Owner Pat Glazes father signed the lease 38 years ago. Glaze says he was caught completely off guard by the news.

But the city says its not a done deal yet. It cites encroaching development and an estimated cost of 2 million dollars for needed improvements.

If the lease is not renewed the site would be repurposed for other recreational uses.
Old 05-18-2017, 4:12 PM
Veteran Member

Default Looks Like Cordova's days are numbered

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkInFolsom View Post
Haven't seen this posted elsewhere. Saw this last night:

http://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2017/...ova-gun-range/

RANCHO CORDOVA (CBS13) Its been a popular shooting range for more than 30 years but now it may be forced to close.

The Cordova Recreation and Park District put off a decision to renew the lease for the Cordova Shooting Center off Douglas Road until July.

Owner Pat Glazes father signed the lease 38 years ago. Glaze says he was caught completely off guard by the news.

But the city says its not a done deal yet. It cites encroaching development and an estimated cost of 2 million dollars for needed improvements.

If the lease is not renewed the site would be repurposed for other recreational uses.

Wonder who gets stuck cleaning up all the lead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-18-2017, 4:19 PM
🇺🇸 Trust Me, I'm Gov't
CGN Contributor

Location: This information has been redacted in accordance with Title 18 U.S. Code 798

Just like Chabot...

-------
Old 05-18-2017, 4:25 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkInFolsom View Post

In other words they're going to sell it off to whichever developer gives them the most money.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

The Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms. -- Samuel Adams, Debates and Proceedings in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 86-87 (Pearce and Hale, eds., Boston, 1850)
Old 05-18-2017, 4:25 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubermcoupe View Post
Just like Chabot...

And USI. Just a different tactic.
M&P Shield 9 (wifes)
M&P 15 (Mine)
Old 05-18-2017, 4:47 PM

I'm not totally surprised. Once they started building that grocery store across the street, it seemed like their days were numbered.
Old 05-18-2017, 5:28 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDJYo View Post
And USI. Just a different tactic.
No. USI's wounds were self inflicted. No outside force involved.
Old 05-18-2017, 10:51 PM

With all the new development in that area you kinda saw this coming, i just dont think the city wants an shooting range in that area and probably wont do anything with the land afterwards.
Old 05-19-2017, 5:44 AM

The raceway too up for sale.
Old 05-19-2017, 7:09 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade Gunner View Post
Wonder who gets stuck cleaning up all the lead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
A portion of each range fee is supposed to go to the city, who is supposed to put it into a fund that's allegedly untouchable except for lead cleanup.

The way most governments work, that money is spent already

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
Old 05-19-2017, 11:29 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcheung2 View Post
I'm not totally surprised. Once they started building that grocery store across the street, it seemed like their days were numbered.
No doubt. They used to be out in the middle of nowhere before Anatolia.

That is where I bought my first Glock.
Old 05-21-2017, 8:01 PM

It's a money ploy. That space is taking up valuable cookie cutter homes with no backyards to be built. Don't we love politics?
Old 05-22-2017, 5:49 AM

Probably more retail there since with the wrecking yards there and flight plan of the airport. All the homes being built there are now east of there.
Old 05-23-2017, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGK View Post
It's a money ploy. That space is taking up valuable cookie cutter homes with no backyards to be built. Don't we love politics?

That's exactly what it is. Those HOA communities are full of "special" personalities. Think Natomas and Elk Grove all over again.
Old 06-02-2017, 2:21 PM

It is my understanding that the land was deeded to Rancho Cordova in the 1970s and has stipulations that it must remain a recreational area subject to the NPS approving any new uses...So it can't really become new homes..but a park maybe.
Old 06-02-2017, 6:02 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by caguns View Post
It is my understanding that the land was deeded to Rancho Cordova in the 1970s and has stipulations that it must remain a recreational area subject to the NPS approving any new uses...So it can't really become new homes..but a park maybe.
Nothing that cannot be changed with a little money changing hands.

The Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms. -- Samuel Adams, Debates and Proceedings in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 86-87 (Pearce and Hale, eds., Boston, 1850)
Old 06-05-2017, 11:44 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Closing this range has been in the works for a while. With the New indoor range approved and opened in Rancho Cordova and the encroaching development, it was only a matter of time. The city planning department was pretty vocal when we went in there several years ago acquiring about another indoor range. . . . If I was the owner, I would be courting Aerojet for some of their spoiled land at a nice discount and then get started right back up again. Its right across the street and can't be built on do to ground water contamination. Owners need some motivation and some business saavy. Not just a love of guns and shooting. . . . . . .

And look for the same treatment for the Junkyards near there as well.

Golden State Tactical <---click here or Here--->Golden State Tactical Store

An Outpost Deep In the Heart of the Beast! Home of "California Compliant" AR15 Parts and Magazines and some of the lowest priced guns in the state!!!
Old 06-06-2017, 7:20 AM

I used to work for CSC for a little over 4 years during and after college. If I wasn't at school or at one of my other two jobs I was working at the range. The pay at $15 an hour, guns, ammo, accessories at cost, and unlimited shooting was a college kids dream back then. I also grew up shooting there as well from the time I was 12 or so.

The city did collect quite a bit of money from each shooters range fee for lead cleanup, but as some of you mentioned I doubt they saved it. They had plans and were building that shopping center over a decade ago because I was there between 1999-2004. I still remember getting noise complaints from the original Anatolia people because of the gunfire. Never really understood it because they decided to buy homes down the street from the shooting range. Personally, I wouldn't want to live or buy a home anywhere in that area. The lead cleanup is the least of people's problems because the well water, water, and soil in the area has been contaminated from Aerojet over the years. We would find jet fuel and cleaner in the well water. I remember walking through the sprinklers on a really hot summer day. I broke out in a blistering rash anywhere my clothes had been wet and soaked with the water.

I spent many days and nights at that range working and shooting. It'll be sad to see it go, but I don't know what the Park district would actually do with the land. I can't imagine how much lead has accumulated over the last near 4 decades. We used to clean the berms out using a tractor and shovels a few times a year. The trap and skeet fields probably haven't been cleaned in years if ever. Hope they get their lease renewed as they have been able to over the last few years. From what I recall they originally had a 30 or 35 year lease and haven't been able to get a commitment to renew it for more than a few years at a time. It was actually one of my favorite jobs and how I originally acquired my CCW out of Sac County. The Glaze's are good people and many of my old range colleagues are still working there.
Old 06-11-2017, 6:21 PM

There was a fox 40 news crew there today just before closing. I think tomorrow is the next city council meeting about renewing the permit
Old 06-23-2017, 1:23 PM

(This post is also in the Northern California Forum, in order to reach a wider audience).

NOTE TO COMMENTERS: I LIVE LESS THAN FIVE MILES FROM CSC AND HAVE SHOT THERE. UNPOPULAR OPINIONS FOLLOW, DON'T GO BERSERK MILITANT YET.

As said above, the meeting was June 12, which is past. The issue is not decided as of today, June 23. THE NEXT MEETING IS JULY 19, FOR A FINAL DECISION

To address Kestryll's questions: What's really going on is that the City of Rancho Cordova suburbs are growing up around CSC, there are subdivisions and schools in the immediate area. I believe CSC used to be the gun range for Mather Air Force Base, when the Air Force had it, so was off-limits to civilians and out in the boonies at the time, thirty years ago. But not now.

On principle, I'd like to see it kept open. I've shot there myself. Once and never again. (If you want to know why, PM me.) But if 30,000 shooters are out there a year at $17 a pop, that's over a half million a year. Even with the rent of $183K, rock bottom overhead, minimum wage labor and possible liability insurance, that's a LOT of profit.

Possibly it should be kept open, but the owners SHOULD be made to maintain it both for conditions and safety. It's pretty crappy out there, but could be improved with investment. Maybe the City of Rancho Cordova should make them a loan to do the work. As Kestryll said above, maybe the NRA/CRPA offer assistance or CSC could apply for an NRA Grant, as the Sac Valley Shooting Center in Ione has done. I don't imagine any bank would make them a loan if their lease is in jeopardy.

And don't lets get all militant, the City of Rancho Cordova isn't necessarily anti-shooter. The City of RC approved a brand new indoor range, within five miles of CSC, within the last two years. It was a bit of a struggle, but it got done. And the new range is right next to a school and in the middle of subdivisions. But it's clean, relatively quiet and super-safe.

Personally, I'd be looking hard at what the owners of the new for-profit Sacramento Shooting Center are doing to lobby for closing down CSC. Anyone who knows the owners (not the staff) knows that they may support shooting, but they're really in it for profit and lots of it. If I were them, I'd be trying to shut down my nearest competitor too.

So by all means, if you live in or near the City of Rancho Cordova, go to the City Parks and Rec meetings. Be an American and make your voice heard. Lobby the members, hand out leaflets, do it all. But don't wear camo to the meetings or get hysterical when it's your turn to speak. It just makes us all look like wild-eyed gun nuts. Which doesn't play well with politicians...
Don't have children until you're married five years or at least age 30.
Put 10% of your salary into savings every month no matter how broke you are.
Don't ever screw around with the IRS.
Keep a handgun on your bedside table.
Don't smart-mouth judges, or cops who stop you on the road.
Old 06-29-2017, 1:39 PM
Calguns Addict

So sad