Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Curio & Relic/Black Powder
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Curio & Relic/Black Powder Curio & Relics and Black Powder Firearms, Old School shooting fun!

Old 05-23-2011, 4:06 PM
Veteran Member

Default Swedish Mauser diopter sights

Hey there, its that guy that asks a lot of questions again...I really appreciate the help that this forum has to offer! Thanks in advance!

Just wondering if anyone has dipoter sights on their mauser, and if it is worth the $100 that they are going for on ebay?

I have a refinished stock that has no value, so bubba'ing it onto that stock is an option...going to leave my original stock out of this one haha.

Any help is appreciated.
Old 05-23-2011, 7:58 PM

There are 3 different diopter sights made for the Swedish Mauser, but you will need to drill and tap holes in the rear bridge for any of the diopters. I bought the GF type and put it on a receiver that had been previously sporterized. I used a surplus stock, different barrel and consider it a shooter, not a collector, and with the diopter sight, it really shoots! One nice feature of the GF diopter is that you can slide the upper section off and still use the rear leaf.
Old 05-23-2011, 8:05 PM
Veteran Member

Any of the rear diopter sights is worth $100 if it's functional.

Match Director Sac Valley Vintage Military Rifle Long Range Match
Old 05-23-2011, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlmurphy View Post
There are 3 different diopter sights made for the Swedish Mauser,
There's a lot more than just 3.
http://dutchman.rebooty.com/targetsights.html

The cost for Swedish diopters isn't a reflection of utilitarian worth but of esoteric worth. Many of the diopters are worth a lot more than $100. Some are quite rare and their cost reflects collectibility.
Old 05-23-2011, 11:25 PM
Veteran Member

Thank you for the input. I'm heavily considering getting one, but have a 90% matching number Carl that is in pretty damn good shape. The original stock has cracks in it and the wood isn't 100%....do you figure it would be worth it to just drill/tap the thing and make it a shooter? I took it out today and fell in love with the thing. It kicked my shoulder's a** pretty hard but its the love/hate relationships that we like the most, right?
Old 05-24-2011, 9:39 AM
Calguns Addict

As said above there are many more than three types of diopter sights for the Swedish Mauser rifles. Diopters do make the rifles better shooters, as the diopters are installed on the rear receiver bridge, allowing a longer sight radias.

A few pic's of some of the different types on some of my rifles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddletown View Post
What you believe and what is true in real life in the real world aren't necessarily the same thing. And what you believe doesn't change what is true in real life in the real world.

Old 05-24-2011, 6:05 PM
Calguns Addict

One additional consideration is the rifles front sight. ALL of the rifles in my collection which have rear diopters also have different front sights to match the height of the rear diopter. So changing the rear sight will almost certainly require you to use a different height front sight.

In my opinion you should leave your rifle as is. If you want a Swedish Mauser with diopter sights they are available. Drilling and tapping a Swedish Mauser should only be undertaken by a highly skilled smith with experience in these matters.

Some front sight pic's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddletown View Post
What you believe and what is true in real life in the real world aren't necessarily the same thing. And what you believe doesn't change what is true in real life in the real world.

Old 05-25-2011, 7:21 PM
Veteran Member

Your input has been pivotal. Thank you for your time and knowledge.
Old 05-26-2011, 10:45 AM
Veteran Member

No mater what sight you chose, if your mechanically inclined take it apart and clean it, check that it travels fully to ends of adjustment and lube with a good grease or oil, when mounting back onto the receiver locktite screws and Do not heavily torque them down as this sometimes twists the base and locks up slide (wind) adjustment due to different receiver contours and sight base contours.

Just snug them with 3-5 lbs.