Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism Discuss gun rights activism and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 04-11-2011, 10:51 AM
Banned

Default Are there any good sites with quick pro-gun facts? (Need to smack some antis.)

For this diet I'm on I had to fill out a "health assessment" that we'll be going over this week. One of the questions was if there was a gun in my home. I'm assuming we're going to be hearing the usual BS stats that Drs like to push saying that guns in homes lead to gun deaths, no positive benefit, etc. I'm gonna wanna be prepared to smack these folks down, and would like to have some stats ready and hopefully be able to provide info on the studies that generated the stats.

Any good sites?
Old 04-11-2011, 10:54 AM
Calguns Addict
CGN Contributor

How about 105 pages of gun facts Here
Old 04-11-2011, 10:57 AM

google kellerman study, that is the often quoted but proven wrong anti study.

guncite.com has some good stuff
Old 04-11-2011, 10:59 AM
Calguns Addict

you can't argue logic with an anti....it's like trying to get an apple tree to grow bicycles

Most civilization is based on cowardice. It's so easy to civilize by teaching cowardice. You water down the standards which would lead to bravery. You restrain the will. You regulate the appetites. You fence in the horizons. You make a law for every movement. You deny the existence of chaos. You teach even the children to breathe slowly. You tame.
People Should Not Be Afraid Of Their Governments, Governments Should Be Afraid Of Their People

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Old 04-11-2011, 11:04 AM
Veteran Member

It's good to be armed with the proper information, but it's better to have the right attitude. The argument is often not logical with antis, it's emotional so no amount of information, however world-smashing it might be for them, can change their mind.

I draw a lot of inspiration from Guy Smith. Thanks to Nicki of Pink Pistols for pointing me to him.

One my favorite points of his is where he tells us to stop reading 2nd amendment and self-defense books. We already know that stuff. He says we need to instead be reading books on how to effectively communicate information.

Deer Hunting Rifles? "Let's get rid of those too" - Adam Keigwin, Chief of Staff for Senator Leland Yee

Last edited by Stonewalker; 04-11-2011 at 11:07 AM..
Old 04-11-2011, 11:30 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishPirate View Post
you can't argue logic with an anti....it's like trying to get an apple tree to grow bicycles
I call hyperbole. I believe that you'd have more success-with growing the bicycles I mean.
Old 04-11-2011, 11:33 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Here you go:

http://gunowners.org/fs0404.htm

Vet since 1978

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn
Old 04-11-2011, 12:05 PM

I have a question....why would you even answer that question?

Diet Company: do you have any guns in your home?

Me: none of your G** D*** business!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by stix213
Maybe I should quit my job and just OC all day until my money train pulls up and unjustly arrests me
Quote:
Originally Posted by Window_Seat View Post
OK, I don't know everything about Congress (except that it's the opposite of "progress" )
Old 04-11-2011, 12:21 PM

Quote:
As a former anti whose mind was changed by logical argument, I would submit that your statement is nonsense.
Old 04-11-2011, 12:21 PM
Calguns Addict

The most important step is to separate out what they say versus what they're really thinking and really believe. The what if's and other absurdity is almost always a total lie and not their real objection.
Old 04-11-2011, 12:41 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdimeo View Post
As a former anti whose mind was changed by logical argument, I would submit that your statement is nonsense.
You are the exception. Most antis are ideologues that do not care about facts and simply care about that warm fuzzy feeling in their black hearts.
Old 04-11-2011, 1:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InGrAM View Post
You are the exception. Most antis are ideologues that do not care about facts and simply care about that warm fuzzy feeling in their black hearts.
Great, if it makes you feel better. However:

The convincible subset shouldn't be written off

The convincible subset is a group that changes over time. Sometimes it shrinks, maybe because of some spectacular mass shooting. Sometimes it grows, when an articulate speaker gets people thinking, as after the Luby's massacre.

Sometimes it grows by one, just because someone's neighbor's house got broken into and they start wondering if they should be protecting themselves.

The thing is, at any given time, you don't know if you're talking to a hopeless case. You probably are, but you don't know until you try. And they might seem hopelessly closed-minded now, and then something happens in their personal life, or in some scene in a movie they thought was cool, or whatever else, and then six months later they remember what you said, that you treated them with respect, and they go stumble across gunfacts.com and start reading.

For a while after they change their mind, they'll probably be embarrassed about it. All their friends are antis. Plus some jerk on the net called them a clueless libtard or something.

Some of 'em will come around. Don't make it harder on them.
Old 04-11-2011, 2:02 PM

You can't change peoples minds by shoving things down their throats. Take friends/politicians/journalists to the range, introduce them to the sport.
Old 04-11-2011, 2:20 PM
CGN Contributor

Default No sir, I don't have a gun

When I'm asked if I have a gun in the house, I give an honest answer, no. I have always had more than one since my 14th birthday.
Old 04-11-2011, 2:55 PM
Veteran Member

One of the most important statistics is the one from the DOJ that estimates somewhere around 2 million defensive uses of firearms per year, most of which don't even involve discharge.
Old 04-11-2011, 3:39 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalBear View Post
One of the most important statistics is the one from the DOJ that estimates somewhere around 2 million defensive uses of firearms per year, most of which don't even involve discharge.
Do you have a cite for that CalBear? I'm aware of that number and I'd love to quote it but I can't find the study or the report that it came from.

Deer Hunting Rifles? "Let's get rid of those too" - Adam Keigwin, Chief of Staff for Senator Leland Yee
Old 04-11-2011, 3:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonewalker View Post
Do you have a cite for that CalBear? I'm aware of that number and I'd love to quote it but I can't find the study or the report that it came from.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9591354

Not quite 2 million.

There is also the Gary Kleck study which showed closer to 2 million.

http://www.justfacts.com/guncontrol.asp#crime
Old 04-11-2011, 5:39 PM

Quote:
I sit jaw-agaped in the presence of logical and comedic genius. ROFL indeed.
Old 04-11-2011, 5:42 PM
Veteran Member

Return their question with your own; Which butt cheek would you like to kiss first?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford8N View Post
If I could have gotten 51 votes in the Senate of the United States for an outright ban, picking up every one of them, Mr. and Mrs. America, turn 'em all in, I would have done it. Senator Dianne Feinstein, CBS-TV's 60 Minutes, February 5, 1995
Old 04-11-2011, 10:07 PM
Veteran Member

GRPC have some good speakers at the conference. Last year was great, too bad this year will be too far to attend.
Old 04-12-2011, 8:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by choprzrul View Post
Thank you. This is an excellent resource because it cites all of its sources very precisely. I checked the sources such as the Australian government criminology site and the UNODC, and they are very telling. With so many conflicting arguments out there about the crime rates in Australia, I was doubtful about claims of the rising crime rates because I had never seen an authoritative source. Not anymore. The government's own stat tables show almost all types of crime skyrocketing after 1996 when the gun ban and confiscation happened. They even state how the rise in crime has been so disproportionate to the population growth. Amazing.

the question here is not whether the carrying of arms is a good idea—the question is
whether carrying arms is constitutionally protected. Objective standards and due process—not
Defendants’ philosophy or personal beliefs about the value of this activity—must carry the day-Alan Gura
Old 04-12-2011, 9:10 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by choprzrul View Post
Wow, great link!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselpower View Post
Its very rare LEO encounter some armed crazy who is going to kill them, but it happens enough to warrant their training....... And its rare to encounter LEO willing to lie, cheat and falsify testimony, but it happens enough to warrant invoking all your rights the second you are stopped.
Old 04-12-2011, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharAznable View Post
For this diet I'm on I had to fill out a "health assessment" that we'll be going over this week. One of the questions was if there was a gun in my home. I'm assuming we're going to be hearing the usual BS stats that Drs like to push saying that guns in homes lead to gun deaths, no positive benefit, etc. I'm gonna wanna be prepared to smack these folks down, and would like to have some stats ready and hopefully be able to provide info on the studies that generated the stats.

Any good sites?
If this is for a diet, the issue may be that whatever they plan on giving you (basically a chemical coctail) has a higher than normal incidence of causing people to commit suicide.

So yes, in that case, having easy access to a gun may be a problem unrelated to all the other myths about gun ownership.

No doctor has ever asked me about guns. But if you want to press some buttons then say: Yes (Several)