Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated Lever action, bolt action or other non gas operated centerfire rifles.

Old 05-23-2018, 9:34 PM

Default Bergara B14 HMR--Good gun?

I've never really paid attention to Bergara rifles (nor am I familiar with them), but recently I've been hearing a lot of talk about this rifle. I'm going to do some research, but in the meantime I'm wondering if anyone would vouch for this rifle?
Old 05-24-2018, 6:35 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torrez465 View Post
I've never really paid attention to Bergara rifles (nor am I familiar with them), but recently I've been hearing a lot of talk about this rifle. I'm going to do some research, but in the meantime I'm wondering if anyone would vouch for this rifle?
I have a Bergara HMR in 6.5 Creedmoor that I bought September of last year. You can view pictures of it on this link
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...postcount=2571

I don't do any hunting or shooting matches but I have taken it to ASR a few times and have taken it to a Level 1 and 2 Sniper Course held by ITTS. I have a total of 673 rounds down the barrel.

There are two negative things that I experienced with my HMR:
1) I was getting some pierced primers, with factory loaded ammo, because the chamber was undersized. Bergara repaired it under warranty and got it back in less than 2-weeks. Bergara paid for shipping.

2) If too much pressure is pressing up or forward of the magazine, for example, magazine resting on a bag, then there could be feeding issues.

Bergara customer support is top notch! I do recommend the HMR but it isn't perfect. If anything, I probably could've waited longer and got the HMR PRO model.

Last edited by BMWguy206; 05-26-2018 at 9:02 AM..
Old 05-24-2018, 10:51 PM
I need a LIFE!!

The HMR is a great rifle. A bit heavy for hunting but super accurate and very user friendly. And it's a great bargain considering all you get.
Old 05-24-2018, 10:52 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWguy206 View Post
2) If too much pressure is pressing up or forward of the magazine, for example, magazine resting on a bag, then there could be feeding issues.
That appears to be a "feature" of a lot of rifles that use the AICS magazine, because of the way it latches in.
Old 05-25-2018, 1:23 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigstroker View Post
That appears to be a "feature" of a lot of rifles that use the AICS magazine, because of the way it latches in.
It has nothing to do with the latch.
It has to do with coordinating the length of the upward stop feature of the magazine and the magazine's feed lips so that the magazine stops against the reciever, not the bolt.

It's easy to correct.
The mags just need to be tuned to the specific rifle.
After I tune a set of mags to a rifle, you can rest the full weight of the gun on the mag and the bolt will cycle the same as if the weight of the rifle were on a bipod and rear bag.

AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
Glock, XD and M&P pistols, Benelli and Remington shotguns: barrel, sight, trigger and receiver work.
Most work performed while-you-wait, evening and weekend appointments available.
Founding member of the CAPRC
Old 05-25-2018, 8:53 AM

The Bergara HMR, the Ruger RPR, and variants of the Tikka t3x are the three budget long range rifles i recommend to dudes getting into the hobby. Excellent rifles for the money, and you can upgrade all 3 if you want to plunge further down the long range rabbit hole.
Old 05-25-2018, 9:01 AM
Veteran Member

Too light to use it as a paper/steel puncher on the bench.

Otherwise, it's a very light, accurate, rifle that'll work well for hunting.
my gun shoots better with shiny brass...plus not only does the shiny brass make me look like a pimp at the range if the sun catches it just right it blinds the guy next to me which improves my odds of winning the match.
Old 05-25-2018, 2:47 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty_Shackleferd View Post
The Bergara HMR, the Ruger RPR, and variants of the Tikka t3x are the three budget long range rifles i recommend to dudes getting into the hobby. Excellent rifles for the money, and you can upgrade all 3 if you want to plunge further down the long range rabbit hole.
The Howa KRG Bravo is finally available now too, although it's geared more toward the M side of things than the H.

http://www.mrgundealer.com/rifles/bo...20-thrd-blk-45
Old 05-25-2018, 7:16 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwikvette View Post
Too light to use it as a paper/steel puncher on the bench.
Otherwise, it's a very light, accurate, rifle that'll work well for hunting.
I agree with that statement. After doing two classes and hours of just plinking (all shooting in prone), I feel like getting a thicker heavier barrel.

Last edited by BMWguy206; 05-26-2018 at 9:04 AM..
Old 05-26-2018, 1:20 AM

I’d much rather have the Bergara than anything Remington, Ruger or Savage puts out.
Old 05-26-2018, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horrendo Revolver View Post
I’d much rather have the Bergara than anything Remington, Ruger or Savage puts out.
Exactly

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Old 05-26-2018, 4:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horrendo Revolver View Post
I think Ruger hit a home run with their Precision Rifle series. For around $1000, you get a relatively precise barrel on a solid platform with a decent trigger. Add to the fact that customization options are always growing, it's hard to go wrong with the RPR if you're just dipping your toes into long range shooting. Of course there is much better available, but I don't think Bergara's budget line is any better or worse than the RPR.

With a gun to my head, I'd choose a Bergara over the RPR because it takes AICS mags, and it's action is a remington 700 shape, which gives me a larger selection of aftermarket barrels and stocks. Regardless, I still think the RPR is a good rifle, and holds it's own in this particular price range.