Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum Information on how to get a LTC in yourCounty

Old 09-01-2017, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyHawk View Post
Renewal question:

My permit expires 10/30. So I cannot do the renewal app until 9/30. But what are they doing with expiration dates now? In the old days, your expiration would reset to 2 years after the app, so if you did it early - you cheated yourself.

Have they fixed that now? I don't want to renew 30 days early if it changes my next renewal date to 30 days short. I did my renewal class yesterday and qualified with a couple new pistols so I am ready.
My renewal date was 9/9/17. I was told at my class to send renewal request 1 week prior. I submitted my request and docs online on 8/29, received email approval notice on 8/30 and received my permit in the mail on 9/1 with an effective date of 8/29, which was the date of renewal request.
Old 09-02-2017, 7:36 PM
Front Toward Enemy
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Custom ii View Post
My renewal date was 9/9/17. I was told at my class to send renewal request 1 week prior. I submitted my request and docs online on 8/29, received email approval notice on 8/30 and received my permit in the mail on 9/1 with an effective date of 8/29, which was the date of renewal request.
Thanks! So I might not cut it that close, but I'm not going to rush it in 30 days early I guess...

Old 09-08-2017, 8:54 PM
Spent $299 for this text!
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Curious what other Placer CCW holders think about carrying legally possessed "large capacity magazines" in a CCW firearm. Has placer said anything to anyone about this? Seems to me like it should be no problem, but figured I'd see what other people think.

Old 09-12-2017, 7:40 AM

Default I love Placer County!

8/19 - class and qualification with Josh at STRFI (HIGHLY recommended!)
8/20 - applied online
8/21 - did livescan at Roseville PD
9/1 - interview (could've done the interview sooner but this was the soonest that my schedule allowed it). was told by interviewer that the permit would be approved.
9/4 - got official email saying permit was approved and final payment due
9/4 - got receipt and email saying permit has been mailed
9/11 - got my permit!
Old 09-12-2017, 7:45 AM

^ and to think, people were worried when we got a new sheriff

Old 09-15-2017, 8:00 AM
Cattle Thieves Pro Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockedandglocked View Post
Curious what other Placer CCW holders think about carrying legally possessed "large capacity magazines" in a CCW firearm. Has placer said anything to anyone about this? Seems to me like it should be no problem, but figured I'd see what other people think.
What I think and what the State law is, well they are totally different.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...0&postcount=83
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmonte35 View Post
Disagree. Been trying to teach lewdogg21 how to hunt. It's like trying to teach Steve Wonder how to see. Not sure we're ever going to get there.
Old 09-15-2017, 8:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewdogg21 View Post
What I think and what the State law is, well they are totally different.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...0&postcount=83
That new law is on hold due to a court injunction, it's currently still legal to possess them while the courts sort it out. So in the meantime, good to go in a CCW firearm in Placer?

Old 09-15-2017, 8:33 AM
Cattle Thieves Pro Staff

Personally I wouldn't. Then again I try to err on the side of caution when dealing with a situation like this in which a responding LEO, DFW, or other officer may not know the law and confiscate your equipment, firearm, or at worse "you" via arrest or hold. Then you spend big $ to get your stuff back. As a CCW holder I try to live off police radar except for my occasional 50mph in a 40 mph on East Roseville Pkwy like everybody else.
Quote:
Disagree. Been trying to teach lewdogg21 how to hunt. It's like trying to teach Steve Wonder how to see. Not sure we're ever going to get there.
Old 09-18-2017, 9:55 PM

Placer Co. has come a long way.

Renewed late Friday evening, received email stating new permit is in the mail the following Monday...
Old 09-21-2017, 6:40 PM

I did the renewal application on Sunday night, got an approval email on Monday morning, received new permit on Thursday.

This was asked before, and I don't know if it got answered, but your new permit's expiration date is 2 years after they issued the new permit, NOT necessarily 2 years after the old permit expired. I didn't know that, so I renewed 30 days before my permit expired, so basically I lost a month. Kind of a bummer.

Old 09-22-2017, 7:49 PM

Submitted on-line renewal this morning. Approved before COB today.
Old 09-30-2017, 9:00 AM
In Memoriam

Question My buddy asked what the course of fire for the CCW classes for Placer county...help??

Buddy living in Placer county asked what the course of fire is for the Placer County concealed carry classes.

I think he asked me because I'm one of the gun guys he knows, when we served in the Marines together. But I don't live in CA anymore and my google-fu is weak....

Can someone shed some light on it for us, please?

Thank you in advanced.

MODS: Cross-posting in General Gun section also, due to more traffic and faster response time. please delete/merge once answers are determined. Thank you.
Old 10-02-2017, 5:34 PM
Front Toward Enemy
CGN Contributor

I submitted my renewal online tonight. This is the first time I have done it online.

It says delivery type is 'pickup/appointment'. Is this accurate or will they mail the new permit? I didn't see a way to change it.

Old 10-02-2017, 5:36 PM

Quote:
I submitted my renewal online tonight. This is the first time I have done it online.

It says delivery type is 'pickup/appointment'. Is this accurate or will they mail the new permit? I didn't see a way to change it.

They'll mail it. They digitally print your thumb print and signature on to the permit. Should get it in about 4 business days.

It threw me off too, when the checkout said I had to pick it up

Old 10-02-2017, 6:40 PM
Front Toward Enemy
CGN Contributor

Quote:
They'll mail it. They digitally print your thumb print and signature on to the permit. Should get it in about 4 business days.

It threw me off too, when the checkout said I had to pick it up
Thanks! I'll keep my eye out. The 'signature' on the web page using the mouse was sort of janky. Maybe they will use the last one I provided them in person, otherwise I guess we'll go with chicken scratch.

Old 10-02-2017, 7:06 PM

Quote:
Thanks! I'll keep my eye out. The 'signature' on the web page using the mouse was sort of janky. Maybe they will use the last one I provided them in person, otherwise I guess we'll go with chicken scratch.
Yes, my signature on the website was done with a trackball mouse, and looked like ~~~~//^

And so now that's exactly what my signature looks like on my CCW

Oh well

Old 10-03-2017, 10:10 AM
Front Toward Enemy
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Yes, my signature on the website was done with a trackball mouse, and looked like ~~~~//^

And so now that's exactly what my signature looks like on my CCW

Oh well
LOL! I can only imagine what a trackball signature looks like. Trackballs are only good for playing Missile Command

I got my approval notice via email this morning and it says the permit will be mailed. This renewal process is much easier than the old method !!

Last edited by SkyHawk; 10-03-2017 at 10:12 AM..
Old 10-07-2017, 8:02 AM
Front Toward Enemy
CGN Contributor

Renewal submitted on a Monday night, renewed permit in hand on Friday.

Old 10-07-2017, 8:53 PM

Quote:
Renewal submitted on a Monday night, renewed permit in hand on Friday.
Still paper license?
Old 10-07-2017, 9:01 PM
Front Toward Enemy
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sccafire View Post
Still paper license?
Yes. It was very slightly smaller though, maybe 10% smaller. I trimmed the excess paper off the margins, folded and laminated it just like my last one. It fits in the wallet a bit better than the old one. Even with the extra margin left for the lamination plastic, I got it to the same width and only 1/4" taller than my driver's license.

I carry the terms and conditions from the back on a separate piece. I was told by the folks at the Sheriff's office a few years ago that this was acceptable.

Last edited by SkyHawk; 10-07-2017 at 9:06 PM..
Old 10-29-2017, 5:36 PM

Default "Good cause" for CCW permit

Does anyone know what Placer County currently accepts as "Good cause" for qualifying for a permit?
Thanks!
Old 11-02-2017, 7:16 PM

Had to btp because Placer is such an awesome county.
Old 11-29-2017, 6:00 AM

Hello everyone, new guy here, first post. Just left the Marine Corps after 8 years and moved home to Auburn. Applying for my concealed as soon as i can. Is self defense still a valid application reason? Any other (verified current) useful info? Thanks
Old 11-29-2017, 4:07 PM
Veteran Member

Submitted my modification yesterday PM and got email this morning indicating my modification was accepted and to expect the new permit in the mail within seven days. Talk about fast and efficient.

Update: Received new permit in mail today, Saturday. Five days total including snail mail.

Last edited by mshill; 12-02-2017 at 4:57 PM..
Old 11-29-2017, 7:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellfire12C View Post
Is self defense still a valid application reason?
Nope. Not sure it ever was in Placer.
Old 11-29-2017, 7:56 PM
Front Toward Enemy
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by riprap View Post
Nope. Not sure it ever was in Placer.
Yes, simple self defense has been a good cause for a year or two now in Placer County. I always suggest being more specific though, just in case the policy changes or lawmakers force them to change it.

Old 12-04-2017, 8:33 AM

11/24 - submitted request online to mod my ccw permit to add new guns
11/27 - got a message that it was assigned to a reviewer
11/28 - received email that mod was approved and new permit was on its way
12/1 - received new ccw permit in the mail

7 days total. Placer County is the best!
Old 01-15-2018, 1:40 PM

Newbie and question- I am in the process of obtaining my CCW through Placer county and actually have my interview tomorrow. On the website it shows the restrictions and it states that "Possess weapon any place where prohibited by law or sign". A quick Google search brought up a list of Anti 2a stores, restaurants etc. so this weekend I decided to walk into a few of those mentioned on the site to see how these signs were posted. I did not find a single sign in the stores I visited so I am reaching out to see what best practices there are.

So, how are you all determining where you can and cant legally carry with your Placer CCW?

My initial response is I just wont patron those businesses but the bigger concern is the lack of prominence of a sign and not realizing I am violating the restriction.

If this should be in a different forum let me apologize in advance!

Last edited by jarent; 01-15-2018 at 1:42 PM.. Reason: clerical
Old 01-15-2018, 1:45 PM
Front Toward Enemy
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarent View Post
Newbie and question- I am in the process of obtaining my CCW through Placer county and actually have my interview tomorrow. On the website it shows the restrictions and it states that "Possess weapon any place where prohibited by law or sign". A quick Google search brought up a list of Anti 2a stores, restaurants etc. so this weekend I decided to walk into a few of those mentioned on the site to see how these signs were posted. I did not find a single sign in the stores I visited so I am reaching out to see what best practices there are.

So, how are you all determining where you can and cant legally carry with your Placer CCW?

My initial response is I just wont patron those businesses but the bigger concern is the lack of prominence of a sign and not realizing I am violating the restriction.

If this should be in a different forum let me apologize in advance!

If there is no sign and it is not restricted by law such as post office or fed building etc, then there is no restriction. Do not go by crap you read online or see on TV. It says 'by sign or law'. No sign, no worry. No one expects you to investigate every single building or business online in the state before visiting. It is on them to put up a sign. Don't overthink it.

Old 01-17-2018, 7:27 AM

Thank you SkyHawk-

I had my interview yesterday, my interviewer Chris was awesome and immediately made me feel at ease. Answered all of my questions and his take was the same on the signs-

I asked how long before I would receive a decision and he said up to 30 days...he also said they score from 1-3, 1 is recommend approved, 2 is needs further review and 3 is declined. He told me he scored me as a 1 so unless he was messing with me I should know soon.
Old 01-17-2018, 7:36 AM
Cattle Thieves Pro Staff

Quote:
If there is no sign and it is not restricted by law such as post office or fed building etc, then there is no restriction. It is on them to put up a sign. Don't overthink it.
Great post so I quoted the most important parts. Remember, concealed is concealed. Don't overthink it.
Quote:
Old 01-21-2018, 8:15 PM
Veteran Member

I heard a rumor this week that Bell might be considering going to unlimited guns on CCW permits. Anyone else hear this?
Old 01-21-2018, 8:57 PM
Front Toward Enemy
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshill View Post
I heard a rumor this week that Bell might be considering going to unlimited guns on CCW permits. Anyone else hear this?
Please let this be true!! I know someone I can check with, if I hear anything I will update....

EDIT - ALREADY HEARD BACK: Don't hold your breath. But it never hurts to hope for the best I guess. Be thankful for what we do have - our Sheriff is still the best, 3 guns or 100 guns.

Last edited by SkyHawk; 01-21-2018 at 9:57 PM..
Old 01-30-2018, 4:27 PM

My experience with PCSO CCW turn-times

11/13 - applied online
11/14 - did livescan at UPS Store in Roseville
12/9 - class and qualification
1/16 - interview (verbally told it would be approved) interviewer was awesome
1/30 - got official email saying permit was approved and final payment due
1/30- got receipt and email saying permit has been mailed and should receive within 7 days.
2/3- received permit

Last edited by jarent; 02-08-2018 at 1:34 PM.. Reason: Removed Instructor Recommendation
Old 01-31-2018, 8:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosevillian View Post
Hello everyone. I’m new to CG and really excited to be here. I want to share my CCW application experience from start to finish and hope it turns out good. I am currently at the stage of pre app and DROSing my third pistol to complete the list. I live in Roseville and yes, I am a law abiding citizen with a 11 year old DUI and current clean driving record. Had a run in with PD 15 years ago as juvenile for shoplifting, (charged with commercial burglary) probation, took a plea with DEJ, well it still shows on my livescan, Deffered entry of judgement completed successfully is supposed to clear my name. I am trying to seal it currently. I will keep everyone posted and sorry for the long introduction. Let me know if I’m in the wrong thread. Thanks.
Those past issues shouldn't pose a problem, as long as the interviewer is sure that it was just juvenile delinquency and you've grown into a responsible adult. He will undoubtedly ask you about both of those items, just be honest about it all and you'll do fine. Good luck! From your neighbor to the east, a rocklinian and welcome!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Old 02-28-2018, 3:07 PM

Got to love Placer County. I moved to Shasta County and sent in my change of address modification yesterday. The license will be in the mail today. Placer also does 180 days or original expiration date whichever comes first
Old 03-03-2018, 7:25 AM

I renewed on a Thursday night and got an email the following Tuesday at 8:30am my permit was ready. I called and asked that rather than send it in the mail if I could come pick it up, no problem. It was waiting in will call for me. As easy as it gets!
Old 03-05-2018, 6:17 AM

Default Placer County CCW initial issue class

Thanks Cockedandglocked. So I’m confused, I went to apply for ccw and it asks for certificate for 16hr class?? Do I take that first right? Seems like some apply then go to the initial issue class??
Old 03-05-2018, 6:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosevillian View Post
Thanks Cockedandglocked. So I’m confused, I went to apply for ccw and it asks for certificate for 16hr class?? Do I take that first right? Seems like some apply then go to the initial issue class??
16 hour? Unless something has changed recently that I'm unaware of, it should only be an 8 hour class for placer. When I got my CCW, the class was not required until after getting a preliminary approval, but maybe they've changed their policy and want people to take the class before the interview. I took my class before the interview even though it wasn't required, for two reasons. First, I figured whether I got approved later or not, the class would be valuable anyways. And second, it showed the interviewer that I was serious about it. He actually made a comment to that effect during the interview, when I gave him my certificate of already received prior to meeting him.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Old 03-05-2018, 7:08 PM

I submitted the renewal online around 5 am and had the approval before COB, same day. Placer County rocks.