Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General gun discussions This is a place to lounge and discuss firearm related topics with other forum members.

Old 02-16-2009, 9:25 AM
In Memoriam

I spent yesterday shooting with about 30 other shooters at the X3 match in Piru. Other than optics I saw a few cheese grators (quad rails) otherwise the guns were all business. I guess the difference is some people shoot and use their stuff and others just polish the chrome.

When I hit the lotto I'm only shooting factory.
Old 02-16-2009, 9:28 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

IMO if it is your firearm, only used by you, with no intention on ever selling it or getting back what you have in it, go ahead and modify to make it work for you! Bubba-away!!!
"Bruen, the Bruen opinion, I believe, discarded the intermediate scrutiny test that I also thought was not very useful; and has, instead, replaced it with a text history and tradition test." Judge Benitez 12-12-2022

NRA Endowment Life Member, CRPA Life Member
GLOCK (Gen 1-5, G42/43), Colt AR15/M16/M4, Sig P320, Sig P365, Beretta 90 series, Remington 870, HK UMP Factory Armorer
Remington Nylon, 1911, HK, Ruger, Hudson H9 Armorer, just for fun!
I instruct it if you shoot it.
Old 02-16-2009, 9:52 AM

I've got mine set up based on the one I used in the Marine Corps. Triangle handguards, 20 in. barrel, iron sights, etc. Seems to work for me. This whole Ar thing has caused a niche in the market for fans of the mouse gun. It's a good thing. It keeps the economy rolling and everyone can dress up their rifle anyway they want. God Bless America !
Old 02-16-2009, 9:55 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Correct me if I am wrong, but NV scoping is illegal in CA at this time, correct? So, having IR on the rail, really has no use. (or is it NV goggles are the only thing illegal?)
"Over-sentimentality, over-softness, in fact washiness and mushiness are the great dangers of this age and of this people. Unless we keep the barbarian virtue, gaining the civilized ones will be of little avail." - Theodore Roosevelt

Quote:
Would you people please stop bashing "Elmer Fudd?" After all, he was an avid sportsman, hunter, and 2a supporter. -Ed in Sac
NRA Benefactor Member
Old 02-16-2009, 10:03 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Their money, not yours. They can do whatever they wish to it since it's their property. This is a fine line. We cannot be hypocrites when many in PRK are trying to take away our passion and our rights.
Old 02-16-2009, 10:04 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGOTDIRT4U View Post
Correct me if I am wrong, but NV scoping is illegal in CA at this time, correct? So, having IR on the rail, really has no use. (or is it NV goggles are the only thing illegal?)
I think NV on a gun only applied to 1st gen NV or something weird like that. Don't quote me on it.
than those who would seek to destroy me.
Grant me victory over my foes and those who wish to do harm to me and mine.
Let not my last thought be 'If I only had my gun."
And Lord, if today is truly the day you call me home, let me die in an empty pile of brass.
http://www.huntfishadventures.com/images/nra.gif
NRA Member
Old 02-16-2009, 10:06 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
NV scopes are illegal in CA but goggles and mono's are legal IIRC
Old 02-16-2009, 10:07 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Location: Northern Mexico(San Jose) Where illegals have rights and citizens get screwed

I didn't Bubba mine but I did get a quad rail free float handguard. It allows more airflow than the H.G. that was on my upper. I also put the Magpul XTM covers so I don't get burned.....they look cool too.
The others, well......they just never learn.

"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, Give Me Liberty, Or Give Me Death!"
Patrick Henry.
Old 02-16-2009, 10:08 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Location: Northern Mexico(San Jose) Where illegals have rights and citizens get screwed

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorensen440 View Post
NV scopes are illegal in CA but goggles and mono's are legal IIRC
I thought scopes are legal as long as they are not equipped with an iluminator.
The others, well......they just never learn.

"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, Give Me Liberty, Or Give Me Death!"
Patrick Henry.
Old 02-16-2009, 10:43 AM
Banned

Default oposite thinking

I have the exact opposite thinking as most here.

When I hear the term, "Bubba AR15", I think of a 20"-24" flattop with a folding FSB, Tube FF, 10X50 scope, and a bi-pod. That's Bubba's hunting rifle.

In my thinking, "bubba" is a backwoods hunter who likes AR15s, and wants to use it that way. Which is fine. It has a sub MOA potential, semi-auto, and can be quite purdy.

The fact is, it is not a hunting rifle. Its was designed for the taking of human life in battle. If you asked Eugene Stoner to make you a hunting rifle, he would not have given you the AR15 platform. Hell, he didn't even want to give us the AR15, but was forced too.

Now given that is my line of thought on the matter. An AR15 is only as good and as useful as you need it to be.

YOUR AR15, needs to be configured as YOU need it. This is what the AR15 is.
IMHO and What I need are as follows:

20", Flat top, bi-pod, folding sights, 9X40 mil-dot, adjustable stock. This is for daytime long range engagement of threats when I have back up. This only needs a railed gas block and a bi-pod rail or attachment point.

16", Flat top, A2 standing rear sight, Standard FSB, CQB type optic, Flashlight, maybe a VFG, single and two point attachment places, battery storage, Bolt storage, 4 position stock. This is for close combat to medium range engagement of threats in daytime and nighttime. Needs a rail on the bottom, a rail on both sides: Right side for flashlight, left side for two point sling attachment, bottom is for VFG if needed. Flip sights are great, but I choose not to have to flip up a sight, I want it there when I need it. The flashlight is needed because I don't want to shoot what I can't ID. The stock is needed to adjust for what I am wearing.

16" A2, A2 stock. KISS. Daytime or nighttime engagement of threats close to medium range when I will shoot at anything that moves and kill it! The basic AR15 is everything needed for this task.

So is there is a need for the quad rails in my mind and when I see someone with everything and the kitchen sink hanging on their AR15, They must need it for something. I just wonder how long they can hold it up for
Old 02-16-2009, 11:18 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
rumble phish wrote:
Why do we "Bubba" out our AR's?
Because we can.
Old 02-16-2009, 11:27 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJgunguy24 View Post
I thought scopes are legal as long as they are not equipped with an iluminator.

I'll think I'll start a new thread. This needs to be worked out.
"Over-sentimentality, over-softness, in fact washiness and mushiness are the great dangers of this age and of this people. Unless we keep the barbarian virtue, gaining the civilized ones will be of little avail." - Theodore Roosevelt

Quote:
Would you people please stop bashing "Elmer Fudd?" After all, he was an avid sportsman, hunter, and 2a supporter. -Ed in Sac
NRA Benefactor Member
Old 02-16-2009, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDgarrick View Post
An EOtech has enabled me to hit silhouettes at 300m offhand. Could I do it with iron sights? Probably, But the EOtech is easier on my eyes and lets me keep a field of vision.
+1, it is about the speed of the acquisition and target identification, whatever it takes for whatever situation arises, Laser, EoTech, ACOG, Surefire Lights, IR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue View Post
I think NV on a gun only applied to 1st gen NV or something weird like that. Don't quote me on it.
NV is not illegal in CA, except when hunting, I believe.
Orange CA 92869
714-532-4867
T - F (11 - 7pm) Sat (10 - 5pm) - closed Sun & Mon

Last edited by Capt. Speirs; 02-16-2009 at 11:42 AM..
Old 02-16-2009, 12:10 PM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
I'll think I'll start a new thread. This needs to be worked out.
Short and simple answer... if your weapon-mounted NV device either does not magnify, or does not have an illuminator, it is not prohibited in CA.

Thermal IR is legal, as is a passive collector. You can mount an IR flashlight on your head if you want, just don't mount it on the weapon.
Old 02-16-2009, 7:26 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grammaton76 View Post
Short and simple answer... if your weapon-mounted NV device either does not magnify, or does not have an illuminator, it is not prohibited in CA.

Thermal IR is legal, as is a passive collector. You can mount an IR flashlight on your head if you want, just don't mount it on the weapon.
I think you are ALMOST dead on. It can not have an illuminator or be a magnified ELECTRONIC scope. IF you were to have some sort of conventional scope mounted behind or in front of a non-magnifying NV device, I believe, it would still be legal. Then again, I am not a lawyer or there may be case law against what I am saying and I could easily be wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by California Department of Justice
468. Any person who knowingly buys, sells, receives, disposes of, conceals, or has in his possession a sniperscope shall be guilty of a misdemeanor, punishable by a fine not to exceed one thousand dollars ($1,000) or by imprisonment in the county jail for not more than one year, or by both such fine and imprisonment. As used in this section, sniperscope means any attachment, device or similar contrivance designed for or adaptable to use on a firearm which, through the use of a projected infrared light source and electronic telescope, enables the operator thereof to visually determine and locate the presence of objects during the nighttime. This section shall not prohibit the authorized use or possession of such sniperscope by a member of the armed forces of the United States or by police officers, peace officers, or law enforcement officers authorized by the properly constituted authorities for the enforcement of law or ordinances; nor shall this section prohibit the use or possession of such sniperscope when used solely for scientific research or educational purposes.
Old 02-16-2009, 7:45 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I think most folks bubba their AR's because they watch too many action movies, play too many video games and don't understand how to socialize properly, so they fantasize about being 'action hero's'. Kind of like little girls playing dress-up.
Old 02-16-2009, 8:27 PM

You say that like there's something wrong with being like a little girl playing dress up.

For my little girl, I have a Barbie AR-15. I'll not waste $ on BUIS, so it's just the EOTech 1x sight with the 1 MOA dot. Otherwise, it's featureless. It's done in pink with white flowers and I want her to have the same fun as a kid with a gun like I had.

We have tea after shooting. I rather like my hat with the flower, think I'll wear it to work...
Old 02-16-2009, 8:31 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I bubba AKs too.....

I am Governor Jerry Brown, My aura smiles and never frowns, Soon I will be President...
Old 02-16-2009, 8:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkatinJJ View Post
You say that like there's something wrong with being like a little girl playing dress up.

For my little girl, I have a Barbie AR-15. I'll not waste $ on BUIS, so it's just the EOTech 1x sight with the 1 MOA dot. Otherwise, it's featureless. It's done in pink with white flowers and I want her to have the same fun as a kid with a gun like I had.

We have tea after shooting. I rather like my hat with the flower, think I'll wear it to work...
That's quite thoughtful of you. I had my "own" gun when I was a young boy too.
Old 02-16-2009, 8:38 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankerman View Post
I think most folks bubba their AR's because they watch too many action movies, play too many video games and don't understand how to socialize properly, so they fantasize about being 'action hero's'. Kind of like little girls playing dress-up.

Sad but true!!
than those who would seek to destroy me.
Grant me victory over my foes and those who wish to do harm to me and mine.
Let not my last thought be 'If I only had my gun."
And Lord, if today is truly the day you call me home, let me die in an empty pile of brass.
http://www.huntfishadventures.com/images/nra.gif
NRA Member
Old 02-16-2009, 8:42 PM
Calguns Addict

Forward grips actually do help me shoot better than just holding the magwell--and except for 10/30's which I see as a bastardization and refuse to humiliate myself in making--in this state I'm not having much to grip there. Aimpoint/EOtech/whatever is a functional part of the system. They WORK. No squinting down and tunnel visioning on irons or traditional scopes like a 3-9x40. If I want to narrow my world into the tiny fraction of an inch and absolutely nothing else I'm not picking up a poodle shooter, sorry, just like if I want to hit a golf ball it isn't going to be with a tennis racket.
In Pennsylvania Your permit to carry concealed is called a License to carry fire arms. Other states call it a CCW. In New Jersey it's called a crime.
Discretionary Issue is the new Separate but Equal.

Last edited by yellowfin; 02-17-2009 at 9:52 AM..
Old 02-17-2009, 4:57 AM
Veteran Member

To each his own, find what works for you. I find that the more I train with a FVG and optics the quicker I get at target acquisition and follow up shots.
Old 02-17-2009, 5:17 AM
Calguns Addict

I thought it was to take a 6.5 lb rifle and make it 9+ pounder.

NRA MEMBER

Originally Posted by ar15barrels
Unscrew the lid. There is a foil seal there.
Pull the seal off and screw the lid back on.
Then you can squeeze the mustard and it will come out of the bottle..

Liberals are termites eating at the foundation of our constitution.
Michael Reagan
Old 02-17-2009, 6:21 AM

I think the AR has 2 great appeals:

1) Every Tom, Dick, and Gray Wolf can swap out any of the parts, receivers, barrels etc. and trick it out any way he or she wants.

2) You can put a lot of lead down the barrel in a short period of time.

BTW I do not want an AR like I had in the military. I had the first generation M-16 and that thing hated me and all lefties.

What's wrong with looking good? Don't aesthetics matter?

Old 02-17-2009, 6:55 AM
Maniac
CGN Contributor

It’s the American way bigger is better but you can tell the noobs at the range from the guys who use there rifles for competition and hunting you see those guys (the noobs) coming a mile away with there rifles that only come out of the safe maybe three times a year to impress there friends I just look and laugh thinking… There’s the American dream in all its Glory
Old 02-17-2009, 9:28 AM
Part time Emperor
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankerman View Post
No wonder I feel like Jet Li in one of John Woo's movies everytime I touch my "M4".

OP, think of it this way. It's AR owners way of stimulating the economy.
Old 02-17-2009, 10:13 AM
I need a LIFE!!

yea i think tackleberry even has the sense to not put a bipod,fowardgrip,flashlight,laser,scope,holosight, holosightmagnifier,flip up backup sights, all at the same time
Old 02-17-2009, 12:30 PM
I need a LIFE!!

i have rails, forward grip and flashlight. and i do take my kit to the range sometimes. i do not get to train like i did in Iraq at home. my unit is stupid like that so when i go to the range and i take my AR i train up a bit to keep the skill. it is a perishable skill. but yep there some guys that go pretty far.

but to each his own on this.

Thank your neighbor and fellow gun owners for passing Prop 63. For that gun control is a winning legislative agenda.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6Dj8tdSC1A
contact the governor
https://govnews.ca.gov/gov39mail/mail.php
In Memory of Spc Torres May 5th 2006 al-Hillah, Iraq. I will miss you my friend.
NRA Life Member.
Old 02-17-2009, 12:46 PM
Calguns Addict

Well, I pretty much use everything on my ar except for the phantom flash hider. God knows why I bought it. I just added some things on mine for ergonomics (like a cheek riser, forward pistol w/ rails, optics and back up sights).

I will vote for a donkey-sex maniac if he's pro-gun.
-BWiese
Old 02-17-2009, 8:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoWeird View Post
I think you are ALMOST dead on. It can not have an illuminator or be a magnified ELECTRONIC scope. IF you were to have some sort of conventional scope mounted behind or in front of a non-magnifying NV device, I believe, it would still be legal. Then again, I am not a lawyer or there may be case law against what I am saying and I could easily be wrong.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoWeird View Post
Originally Posted by California Department of Justice
468. Any person who knowingly buys, sells, receives, disposes of, conceals, or has in his possession a sniperscope shall be guilty of a misdemeanor, punishable by a fine not to exceed one thousand dollars ($1,000) or by imprisonment in the county jail for not more than one year, or by both such fine and imprisonment. As used in this section, sniperscope means any attachment, device or similar contrivance designed for or adaptable to use on a firearm which, through the use of a projected infrared light source and electronic telescope, enables the operator thereof to visually determine and locate the presence of objects during the nighttime. This section shall not prohibit the authorized use or possession of such sniperscope by a member of the armed forces of the United States or by police officers, peace officers, or law enforcement officers authorized by the properly constituted authorities for the enforcement of law or ordinances; nor shall this section prohibit the use or possession of such sniperscope when used solely for scientific research or educational purposes.

Just curious.. The above post by CA DOJ states that it has to both project an infrared light source AND be an electronic telescope in order to be illegal. If it is just a NV scope with no IR illuminator then it should be legal correct?
Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.
--Cesare, Marquis of Beccaria, "On Crimes and Punishment"
Old 02-17-2009, 8:50 PM

here's mine

Annihlator_2000.jpg
Old 02-17-2009, 10:19 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HonorThe2nd View Post
here's mine

Attachment 17490
I normally dont like to throw out the laugh out loud phrase very often but this time, LOL!
Andrew J.
Old 02-18-2009, 10:39 AM

I'm Happy with what I have, 16"Heavy Carbine, flat top, 6 Postion butt, with a bipod, ans since I can't see anymore I use a short range tac scope, and also have a sweet 22 3x12x40 rifle scope, nether of which is ever mounted at the same time . really the only thing I use thets just for looks, is a 10-20 rd mag, just cuss in my opinion, those 10 rds mags look stupid to me, and because i like the 20 rd look, I just bought 3 10-30 mags, just for looks, other then that my ar is all about putting lead down range, so I could care less what any one thinks of it, as long as I continue to have tight groups from 25 yards to 500 yards I'm happy. so you guys keep tricking out your stuff cuss I like those cool pictures.
Old 02-18-2009, 10:45 AM

I blame airsoft guns. You can buy one of them and it comes with all sorts of weird things. Adding stuff to your rifle IS cool........to a certain degree. Adding stuff=cool, too much stuff=tool.
Old 02-18-2009, 12:11 PM

some of the bells and whistles are necessary. i'm building a lightweight carbine for the woman and she's needs the 6pos stock for adjustment. she's not keen on the whole iron sights-thing (even though she can shoot well with irons), so eotech will most likely be the way to go for her. beyond that, she likes the thought of the forward grip, but isn't sold on it.

my spr has the quad rails, but i bought my upper off someone with those already installed. i only use it for the bipod. but i'd much prefer those smooth handguards with the tiny rail on the bottom for the bipod.
Old 03-08-2009, 10:50 PM

I dont really care if the rifle is all tacticool....its thier money.....as long as they`re using all quality equipment on thier rifles...no chinese knockoff crap. also, If there spending all that money for all that gear, I would hope they donate a few bucks to the NRA and to the calguns foundation to help fight to get our rights like the free states back.
Old 03-08-2009, 11:55 PM
Calguns Addict

I say keep it simple and don't be stupid!!!
Old 03-09-2009, 11:25 AM
Calguns Addict

I use free float rails because the front sight is ugly and outdated. Plus the gas block is ugly too.

I use a vertical foregrip because it is a more natural way to hold it and allows better control of the rifle.

I use a retractable stock because I like having different options for the LOP. I have only used a full stock AR once for about a mags worth of shooting so I don't have much to compare it to.

I use an optic because I like it and it is easier to shoot with it.

Do you want to know why I like flash hiders, bayonet lugs, and pistol grips to or have you decided against supporting the next AWB?
Old 03-09-2009, 9:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HonorThe2nd View Post
here's mine

Attachment 17490
Wasn't this the gun eddie murphy used in Beverly Hills cop 2?
Old 03-09-2009, 9:25 PM

I STARTED with a plain jane AR, but I wanted to add a bipod and didn't want to mess up the sling swivel attachment point to do it. So I got a quad rail, then I got a scope. I am planning a build where I will have a light or a green laser of some sort with an eotech. If some guy had all of that on one AR I might question why, but I don't look at the guys with the plain ones and ask why. If you can outshoot the guys with all the doodads then more power to you.