Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calgunners in Service
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calgunners in Service This forum is a place for our active duty and deployed members to share, request and have a bit of home where ever they are.

Old 07-25-2014, 6:49 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkwayDrive View Post
I have another question for you experienced dudes. When you guys said to send the evidence with my notice of disagreement, did you guys send pictures, statements from guys with you, medical records (from my doctor at Kaiser) etc.? Should I wait until I have all of that before sending in the notice of disagreement?
I sent medical records from my civilian doctors, but I have been out of contact with the guys I served with for a while. If you can get first hand accounts of guys you were with and pics, I think it would probably help. I would get everything together and send it all in at the same time. make sure you make copies of everything you send in.
Old 07-25-2014, 7:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1CavScout View Post
I was very detailed in my appeals letter for service connection. I listed dates and places where I was involved in operations (I kept a log book when I was in the ME). I also included copies of medical reports and test results pertaining to my injuries. When I went to my C&P exam, the doctor had all the stuff I had sent in on the computer, and was able to discuss it with me.

As far as my appeal for a higher rating, I just hand wrote on the form I was given by my rep. I was not as detailed with that, but I am just starting that process. I am sure I will have to provide more details and evidence later in the process.

Good luck...
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1CavScout View Post
I sent medical records from my civilian doctors, but I have been out of contact with the guys I served with for a while. If you can get first hand accounts of guys you were with and pics, I think it would probably help. I would get everything together and send it all in at the same time. make sure you make copies of everything you send in.
Thanks once again, Cav.

I did not keep a log, though I do have hundred of pictures, including major events that are connected to my claims. The hard part about some of my claims is that many of them did not require medical attention beyond the platoon medic looking me over. We were at a remote COP, so it's not like I could stop by the aid station or hospital on some of the bigger FOBs. I literally have no documentation for some of my claims because of this. Hopefully fellow platoon members' statements can help.

I am in contact with many guys I served with, including those who were next to me during the incident that caused my most severe claim so I will have them type up their version. Hopefully that holds weight. My PL (who I am in contact with as well) is currently deployed so unfortunately I cannot get a letter from him as he was there but hopefully I won't need it.

I'll wait until I get a all evidence compiled and then send it in. Thanks again.
Old 07-29-2014, 12:33 PM

I went through 12 months of Meb and then when I was finalized and the day before I leave, I grt my orders canceled and recalled. Found myself in the wrong place at the wrong time and got bcd in the end. People can't seem to see the good I did in 6 years including 2 combat tours. I'm waiting for my DD 214 so I can appeal the VA for benefits since I was initially 80% for ptsd and a broken back. Should be fun doing it all over. Hopefully they just use my c&p records from before and don't make me do it all over
Old 07-29-2014, 1:30 PM

You can never be too detailed, send testimony pictures whatever you feel will help in the final decision for a claim, it cant hurt unless it directly contradicts your claim.

In memory of Rogelio Antonio Ramirez, August 26th 2007
Saqlawiyah Iraq

"most people quick to go to war haven't seen it."-
unknown

Check out my YouTube page
http://www.youtube.com/user/DJCBX/videos
Old 07-29-2014, 2:04 PM
Calguns Addict

Good luck, my claim is almost b over I think. 4 more c&p exams to go and all lined up bext month.
Old 07-29-2014, 8:33 PM

I recommend Veterans Benefits Network for a veteran community with some answers. Many others with similar situations / C&P claims.

Noone will know how long your claim will take or what kind of percentage you will get. It's always a 50/50 49/51 51/49 chance. Try to avoid asking that question, because it won't be answered.
Old 07-30-2014, 8:21 PM
Calguns Addict

Just came back from ptsd c&p exam.
Wow it was tough
Old 07-30-2014, 9:29 PM
Calguns Addict

I hope I do not have to do this again...
Old 08-01-2014, 1:33 PM
Calguns Addict

Wish me luck guys, I just finished all my c&p exams for my claim.
No more sending paper work to VA now, just have to wait and see now.
I was told once my I finish all my c&p exams, my case will end within 2 months or so.
Old 08-01-2014, 1:35 PM
Calguns Addict

I rather patrol street of iraq all over again then fighting with VA.
Soooo tired....
Old 08-04-2014, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoJackUSMC View Post
I rather patrol street of iraq all over again then fighting with VA.
Soooo tired....
I have to agree with this statement. I consider my self a smart individual (4.0 Undergrad, Enrolled in Law School, 12 grad credits... always ranked high on my Navy Tests etc.); with that said, navigating the VA and claims process is significantly challenging when attempting to build a case against the VA and get what is owed to you.

I feel very bad for all the veterans who do not have the resources and capabilities that I have had in order to defend my legitimate claims. Recently, I just contracted two IMO's to produce medical record reviews and opinions regarding a condition... this wasn't cheap (about 3k). However, it should help.

Also, since I'm in law school, I have access to Westlaw so there was a ton of information on my illnesses from federal courts that I was able to find and use that I don't think I would have found otherwise.

I probably have about 65 hours into it overall through the past two months. This is from research, typing letters, calls, doing reports, specific dr. visits etc.

Lastly, for many individuals doing claims on their own, I recommend taking a look at the practice manual for veteran advocates. It's basically a big legal treatise on VA claims process. It also has numerous advocacy tips that would be beneficial in ensuring the VA has complied with their duties and/or setting the record of your case up properly for appeal.

2L Student. Nothing is legal advice, just simply my 2 cents worth of opinions.
Old 08-04-2014, 6:47 AM

Just did my sleep issues appointment two Fridays ago. It didn't really turn out too well. This lady tried to make it seem like my sleep troubles is not detrimental and wasn't service connected. It takes me literally 1.5-2 hours to go to sleep and it used to be a lot worse when I first got out (4+ hours, sometimes sleepless). I hate it when shrinks tries to minimize a serious issue. As a lot of you here may know, being in the military was never a 9-5 job, especially during deployments. My unit and i spent weeks on the field and getting little rest in order to condition our bodies to function well without much sleep. Its something that I can't easily turn off and often times. Im pretty sure I will get denied of my benefits because some shrink who doesn't understand what I have to go through every night just to get some rest.
For a combat soldier, the difference between success and failure is your ability to adapt to your enemy. The people that we deal with, they don't care about the rules. All they care about is a result. My job is to stop them from completing their objective, at all costs.
Old 08-04-2014, 10:56 AM
Calguns Addict

VA underwriter will go over all your service medical records, buddy letters, private doctor notes, and va medical records before making their decision.

All my c&p exams favored me except for physical c&p exam. However, my medical records has my injuries I have suffered in iraq.

Wish me luck, I completed all my exams last week.
Old 08-04-2014, 4:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoJackUSMC View Post
VA underwriter will go over all your service medical records, buddy letters, private doctor notes, and va medical records before making their decision.

All my c&p exams favored me except for physical c&p exam. However, my medical records has my injuries I have suffered in iraq.

Wish me luck, I completed all my exams last week.
I can say they didn't do any of this for me in the past. I didn't even get them to review *MY* medical records; they reviewed some other individuals records, cited them as evidence, and denied my claims lol.

Last edited by Funtimes; 08-04-2014 at 4:41 PM..
Old 08-04-2014, 4:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyote43g View Post
Just did my sleep issues appointment two Fridays ago. It didn't really turn out too well. This lady tried to make it seem like my sleep troubles is not detrimental and wasn't service connected. It takes me literally 1.5-2 hours to go to sleep and it used to be a lot worse when I first got out (4+ hours, sometimes sleepless). I hate it when shrinks tries to minimize a serious issue. As a lot of you here may know, being in the military was never a 9-5 job, especially during deployments. My unit and i spent weeks on the field and getting little rest in order to condition our bodies to function well without much sleep. Its something that I can't easily turn off and often times. Im pretty sure I will get denied of my benefits because some shrink who doesn't understand what I have to go through every night just to get some rest.

I just dropped like 3k dollars for medical opinions to avoid situations just like this. You can seek help outside of the VA and use those opinions as evidence in your favor. Were you trying to claim insomnia? (If not, what condition?).

Old 08-04-2014, 6:56 PM
Calguns Addict

Dear Funtimes
I just sent you few messages through PM.
THank you
Old 08-13-2014, 6:30 PM
Veteran Member

Went to the VA today, and the nurse checking me in gave me crap for not doing my labs ahead of time. He said he sent me a letter telling me to do it a few days ahead of time. The letter showed up today after I got home, and was postmarked yesterday. This is the ineptitude we are dealing with at the VA.
Old 08-13-2014, 8:38 PM
Calguns Addict

My claim just went to decision making phase and regional office told me I would nget my rating within 14 days..m crossing my finger
Old 08-13-2014, 8:50 PM
Veteran Member

Good Luck...
Old 08-13-2014, 10:39 PM
Calguns Addict

Thank you, I am super nervous right now.
Old 08-14-2014, 3:20 PM
Calguns Addict

C&p examier few weeks wrote down I dont have sleep apnea, but va hospital just gave me cpap machine for my sleep apnea. Funny
Old 08-15-2014, 1:44 PM
Calguns Addict

Pending for approval decision phase now.
Old 08-15-2014, 1:47 PM

If anyone ever has to deal with the va in Martinez I apologize. After moving I received more care at the ukiah va in 3 hours than 3 years in Martinez. And I wrote a letter saying that. Good luck. Hope you don't have to wait 15 months between GP visits like I did.
Old 08-19-2014, 5:00 PM
Calguns Addict

Finally aftern7 months of waiting, the va finally gave me my own cpap machine for my sleep apnea condition. This will help me win my claim as well.
Old 08-20-2014, 6:22 AM
Calguns Addict

Preparation for notification phase now.
Old 08-23-2014, 9:38 PM

I had labs done Aug 7th. I got the letter to remind me to get the labs on Aug 8th. The letter was printed on the 7th. I am almost 1 year out from filing. I have gotten a lot of diagnoses. It will be interesting to see if they agree they are service connected. The ebenefits says they are still waiting for paperwork, the paperwork I turned in months ago. Is there a number to call and verify?
Old 08-24-2014, 8:03 AM
Calguns Addict

1800 827 1000
Old 08-24-2014, 9:36 AM
Calguns Addict

Call super early, like 6am...
Old 08-24-2014, 10:04 AM

BoJack, I am glad, after following all the BS with the VA, you are getting results. I'm happy you didn't quit man. by the way, I rock this shirt as much as I can now:

http://www.rangerup.com/fixtheva.html

Ammunition Supply Point
Vacaville, CA
707-448-8662
Great Owners, nice selection of firearms!
OLL AR
Old 08-26-2014, 9:11 PM

As a reminder to everyone, make sure you actively seek treatment..

I didn't leave my house much for anxiety reasons and didn't see my shrink or enroll in VA healthcare. Now the VA wants to reduce my 70% that I was just awarded half a year ago. (which I got after a year of fighting)

In the VA's eyes, no treatment = getting better.
Old 08-26-2014, 10:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrossedRifles View Post
As a reminder to everyone, make sure you actively seek treatment..

I didn't leave my house much for anxiety reasons and didn't see my shrink or enroll in VA healthcare. Now the VA wants to reduce my 70% that I was just awarded half a year ago. (which I got after a year of fighting)

In the VA's eyes, no treatment = getting better.
Should I got to the VA? I have free coverage through Kaiser and it's much more convenient to go to them instead of driving up to the nearest VA hospital.
Old 08-27-2014, 3:28 AM

Quote:
Should I got to the VA? I have free coverage through Kaiser and it's much more convenient to go to them instead of driving up to the nearest VA hospital.
This shouldn't be necessary, but... there is a strategy that can help you.

I imagine that you have a deductible on your health plan with Kaiser. The VA can help you pay off that deductible if you are eligible for care.

What will happen is the VA will submit for payment for services rendered from Kaiser. If you have the deductible still remaining, kaiser will not pay out anything to the VA. The catch is that it's considered billed and paid, but the VA comps it all. Essentially they are just trying to recoup money from the private sector and your private insurance.

My strategy would be to use this at the very first the of the year. Get all my care done, any x-rays, check ups, problems etc. that I want looked at.. specialists or what not. That way the VA is billing for it and it's taking away from what I would have to pay. Then, during the year, you are free to use your normal healthcare plan and most of your deductible may have already been paid off!

Old 09-18-2014, 7:48 AM

Here's a surprising one...my wife had a specific physical for two of the conditions she was claiming (out of 12). She asked the doc if he was supposed to examine the others, and he said they weren't listed on his papers, so he wasn't allowed to. This was back earlier this summer.

Fast forward to last week. We were assuming she'd have a full C&P for the rest of the items she claimed. However, I woke up to a text message from my bank reporting that I had just received a payment (not on schedule) from the VA. I was trying to figure out what it was for...and then we realized it was for my wife!

Apparently, they weren't even concerned about her other claims (though they were all service related and listed in her medical record...) they just ran through the two conditions that the doctor checked and finalized the claim!

So now we're thinking...to appeal or not? Decisions...

Navy veteran (1998-2011)
Old 09-18-2014, 9:55 AM
Banned

After you guys sent your notice of disagreement, how long did it take for you to hear back? They received my letter on August 28th and I haven't heard anything. I didn't expect anything this soon but was just curious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funtimes View Post
This shouldn't be necessary, but... there is a strategy that can help you.

I imagine that you have a deductible on your health plan with Kaiser. The VA can help you pay off that deductible if you are eligible for care.

What will happen is the VA will submit for payment for services rendered from Kaiser. If you have the deductible still remaining, kaiser will not pay out anything to the VA. The catch is that it's considered billed and paid, but the VA comps it all. Essentially they are just trying to recoup money from the private sector and your private insurance.

My strategy would be to use this at the very first the of the year. Get all my care done, any x-rays, check ups, problems etc. that I want looked at.. specialists or what not. That way the VA is billing for it and it's taking away from what I would have to pay. Then, during the year, you are free to use your normal healthcare plan and most of your deductible may have already been paid off!
I missed this post, sorry for the last reply and thank you for responding.

I have no deductible or copay at Kaiser, everything is free so there is no need for the VA to get involved.

Should I still go to Kaiser or schedule appointments with the VA?
Old 09-24-2014, 12:11 AM

I sent a NOD two weeks ago and eBenefits is now showing an existing appeal.

So it shouldn't take too long.

70% at the moment, and considering adding tinnitus since someone told me they didn't grant for hearing loss/ringing anymore, but apparently, they do.

What tests did you guys do for tinnitus / hearing loss that you got rated for?
Old 09-24-2014, 2:41 AM
Calguns Addict

My NOD, three weeks ago already and still nothing at ebenefits.
Old 09-24-2014, 10:23 AM

Quote:
After you guys sent your notice of disagreement, how long did it take for you to hear back? They received my letter on August 28th and I haven't heard anything. I didn't expect anything this soon but was just curious.

I missed this post, sorry for the last reply and thank you for responding.

I have no deductible or copay at Kaiser, everything is free so there is no need for the VA to get involved.

Should I still go to Kaiser or schedule appointments with the VA?
If you aren't paying for care or are not coming out of pocket, go with whoever will give you the proper level of care. I honestly cannot say that the care I am currently receiving from the VA is anything but good. Appointments take a little bit of time, but when I walk in with a quick complaint they have let the nurse take care of me.

Re. NOD: I think mine took about two months? Pretty much everything I send the VA seems to be on a 2 month or so process backlog.

Old 09-24-2014, 10:49 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrossedRifles View Post
I sent a NOD two weeks ago and eBenefits is now showing an existing appeal.

So it shouldn't take too long.

70% at the moment, and considering adding tinnitus since someone told me they didn't grant for hearing loss/ringing anymore, but apparently, they do.

What tests did you guys do for tinnitus / hearing loss that you got rated for?
I claimed hearing loss and tinnitus. I was approved 10% for tinnitus but not for hearing loss. For tinnitus, there were no tests. They told me they looked at my MOS and what could have caused it. For 11b, having a CIB is apparently all that is needed to be awarded tinnitus. What I got from them was any combat job with a combat badge would award you tinnitus and any job that has you working with loud equipment would probably too but I could be wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funtimes View Post
If you aren't paying for care or are not coming out of pocket, go with whoever will give you the proper level of care. I honestly cannot say that the care I am currently receiving from the VA is anything but good. Appointments take a little bit of time, but when I walk in with a quick complaint they have let the nurse take care of me.

Re. NOD: I think mine took about two months? Pretty much everything I send the VA seems to be on a 2 month or so process backlog.
Thanks, this is how I feel as well. Several friends of mine have not been too happy with the care they have gotten with the VA and I like Kaiser so I see no reason to switch.

Last edited by ParkwayDrive; 09-24-2014 at 12:57 PM..
Old 09-24-2014, 12:28 PM
Veteran Member

^^^ I am 10% tinnitus as well, and 0% for hearing. I have substantial hearing loss in my left ear, but don't yet need hearing aids. I was told I would remain at 0% until I was bad enough to need hearing aids. FYI...
Old 09-28-2014, 9:16 PM
Banned

Coming up on 2 years.... Just finished a sleep study so thats at least some progression. Also was told i have scoliosis... not sure what % that will translate into but we will see over the next few months hopefully.