Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calgunners in Service
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calgunners in Service This forum is a place for our active duty and deployed members to share, request and have a bit of home where ever they are.

Old 07-17-2014, 3:56 AM

Default Just jump through the hoops people. You donít have to re-enlist. Just play the game.

It appears my company will be losing a soldier to APFT. Sheís never passed one since she got out of AIT, and itís been more than a year, and we give them monthly now.

What upsets me is the oblivious nativity young soldiers have of the disproportional consequences the military can have on oneís future. The smallest of things stay with them FOREVER, but the smallest things make them look like GODS to the outside world.

Maybe sheíll flip burgers her whole life and it wonít matter, but the moment she does anything down the road that requires a DD214 to be submitted as documentation an explanation will have to be submitted why her discharge is something other than ďHonorableĒ.

If youíre combat wounded, and you have a visible medical issue you have a great explanation that will give you brownie points with employers.

If 20 years down the road sheís winning marathons her explanation will ALWAYS be she was fat and lazy.

Then the most naÔve of things these young soldiers donít understand is that she could have continued to be a total dirt bag with all other aspects of her time in the unit, but she would have still finished out her contract in full, and been ďHonorably DischargedĒ

Then her DD214 would have been GOLDEN FOR LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Iím not even talking about bragging rights here so many forge or fluff up their history with. Just a clean DD214 with Honorable at E4 even with no awards is MAJOR brownie points down the road in life where a DD214 needs to be presented for school, employment or benefits.

Just play the game kids. Itís only once a month, and you donít have to reenlist.
Old 07-18-2014, 8:05 PM

She's already got a DD214 from completing AIT. You don't get another DD214 when discharged from the reserves. I agree with your point...but the reality is since there is no reserve equivalent to the DD214 that reflects character of discharge there's no fear of a BCD in the reserves.
Old 07-19-2014, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashbubba View Post
She's already got a DD214 from completing AIT. You don't get another DD214 when discharged from the reserves. I agree with your point...but the reality is since there is no reserve equivalent to the DD214 that reflects character of discharge there's no fear of a BCD in the reserves.
You sure about that? I think final separation from the service (regardless of active/reserve/guard) requires a 214, especially if it's anything other than honorable. We've had a few over the last couple years who got "other than" or
"bad conducts" from the guard.
"... You feel the anger thinking of the loved ones you will never see again, and losing your life infuriates your soul. You rage to get to your feet and grab for a weapon, any weapon. Regardless of your race, culture, or religion, you want to die standing, fighting like a warrior, an American, so others won't have to. For those looking for a definition, this is the price of freedom.Ē

------
SGT Thomas Macpherson KIA 12 OCT 2012
SFC Ryan Savard KIA 13 OCT 2012
"Sine Pari"
Old 07-19-2014, 2:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashbubba View Post
Partially yes, but a keen eye will see that a reservist’s DD214 from AIT or anytime they come off extended orders or a deployment prior to the expiration of their original contract will Note: FIRST TERM OF SERVICE NOT COMPLETE

I currently have three DD214's myself, and get one every time I come off extended orders. So I'll get a fourth one when I get off of deployment, and then I hope to get some time on orders in 2015 to round out my 36 months on active to get my 100% GI Bill.

So without any re-enlistments I'll have six DD214's and only the last one will say FIRST TERM OF SERVICE COMPLETE.

But you're right, if I were her I would submit the AIT one, and hope no one puts 2 and 2 together.
Old 07-19-2014, 2:52 PM

I also just found out coming down the pipeline is a PT plan for my Battalion.

I have no idea what that could entail, nor how that can be enforced between drills. I think Iím up crap creek with escalated nonsense during the duration of my contract. Iíll have 24 more drills left when I get back.

Between all the Suicide briefs, SHARP, EO briefs, APFT, and piss tests now we're going to focus on trying to avoid losing fatties left and right.

Iím going to be about all Armyíd out of this idiocy. I'm counting how many drills I have left, and that's a bad sign.

Being a reserve has essentially resorted to burying our time meeting all the politically correct standards of the Army.

If you're active duty that's not such a big deal. This crap exists in the civilian sector too so it's mixed in with the full time work. But when you're a reservist, and you have to meet the same politically correct standards as well then that's all Drill becomes.

So all a Drill is about is showing up to formation at 0700 to participate in some sort of P/C briefing or taking/ administering a PT test. Yes, there are range weekends twice a year, but that's just sitting around the entire day to shoot 40 rounds, and the only purpose for that is to get a passing range card so one can submit a promotion package.

Guess what we do at range weekends? We all sit around in line going through all the medical check up stations. So the ONE thing that might be perceived as the funnest and coolest (shooting M16's at pop up targets), is entirely ruined by going through all the medical stations like MEPS or Reception.
Old 07-19-2014, 3:18 PM
Zipper-Suited Sun God
CGN Contributor

All the Reservist Aircrew guys I went through candidate school with have gone back home and do nothing but NKO courses, CBT's and anything other than actually flying... and they all hate it. Probably doesn't help that none of them had preexisting careers prior to going Navy Reserve...

"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"

You can trust me. I'm a arecrooman... aircroomen... airecrewmen... I fly on planes.
Old 07-19-2014, 4:56 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGT Loco View Post
You sure about that? I think final separation from the service (regardless of active/reserve/guard) requires a 214, especially if it's anything other than honorable. We've had a few over the last couple years who got "other than" or
i have not seen any Soldier that has ETS'd out of the Reserves receive a DD214. they are not being released from active duty. they are being released from the Army Reserves I have only seen orders the show the termination of service that is all. some get more when they get kicked out for no show, APFT failures and so on.

Quote:
Public Safety Chairman Reggie Jones Sawyer, D-Los Angeles said, ďThis is California; we donít pay too much attention to the Constitution,Ē
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6Dj8tdSC1A
contact the governor
https://govnews.ca.gov/gov39mail/mail.php
In Memory of Spc Torres May 5th 2006 al-Hillah, Iraq. I will miss you my friend.
When Hell is full the dead will walk the Earth. (Dawn of the Dead)
NRA Life Member.
Old 07-19-2014, 5:02 PM
CGSSA Coordinator

I've been out 10 years and working in the private sector.. unless the DD-214 specifies dishonorable discharge or even bad conduct (implying criminal behavior), there's nothing on a DD-214 that officially can (and is) used to disqualify for employment, so honestly, you are full of it.

-Spec-4 For Life
Old 07-20-2014, 8:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGT Loco View Post
Yes, I'm sure. Aside from having a few folks "chaptered-out" with hardly a care due to it not affecting their civilian lives whatsoever, when I was discharged from the reserves there was no DD214, just a nice frameable honorable discharge certificate in the mail a few months later....which means nothing officially with regards to benefits or preferences points. DD214 is discharge from active duty only....now if a reservist is separated while mob'd or on ADT, then yes they'll get an OTH or BCD DD214.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoopy47 View Post
Partially yes, but a keen eye will see that a reservist’s DD214 from AIT or anytime they come off extended orders or a deployment prior to the expiration of their original contract will Note: FIRST TERM OF SERVICE NOT COMPLETE

I currently have three DD214's myself, and get one every time I come off extended orders. So I'll get a fourth one when I get off of deployment, and then I hope to get some time on orders in 2015 to round out my 36 months on active to get my 100% GI Bill.

So without any re-enlistments I'll have six DD214's and only the last one will say FIRST TERM OF SERVICE COMPLETE.

But you're right, if I were her I would submit the AIT one, and hope no one puts 2 and 2 together.
Since I completed my first enlistment on active duty, the 3 DD214's I received from various activations in the Reserves didn't reflect that. Could be a service specific notation. I noticed distinct differences the USMC did their DD214s vs the Army (my last DD214 is from some time in the USAR).

Realistically speaking, most civil service agencies that grant vet preference points don't care about that fine print. Usual requirements are a campaign medal, service-connected disability, a minimum number of days on active duty, etc. Some agencies stipulate that it must by AD other than training, some do not. Now if you're applying for a job that requires disclosure of all military service as part of a background check...all service will come to light, regardless of DD214 and the applicant's reserve service record and nature of discharge will probably be looked at.
Old 07-20-2014, 8:51 AM
Calguns Addict

I had to look it up

http://apftcalculator.com
Old 07-20-2014, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyCamper781 View Post
I've been out 10 years and working in the private sector.. unless the DD-214 specifies dishonorable discharge or even bad conduct (implying criminal behavior), there's nothing on a DD-214 that officially can (and is) used to disqualify for employment, so honestly, you are full of it.

-Spec-4 For Life
Not only that but she can petition to have her discharge converted to honorable. I know people who where dishonorably discharged for popping positive on coke and got theirs converted 6 months after separation.
Old 07-20-2014, 11:12 AM
Zipper-Suited Sun God
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainMike View Post
Not only that but she can petition to have her discharge converted to honorable. I know people who where dishonorably discharged for popping positive on coke and got theirs converted 6 months after separation.
I thought the only way you get a DD is through court martial... that's why it carries the same restrictions as a felony conviction.

"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"

You can trust me. I'm a arecrooman... aircroomen... airecrewmen... I fly on planes.
Old 07-20-2014, 11:22 AM

Commanders in the National Guard can separate for 3 failed APFTs for record (Every APFT should be for record).

When a Soldier hits their ETS in a reserve component their discharge order is coded into their Iperms by their S1 section. There is no DD214 unless they are on sanctuary or medical hold, etc.

ABCMR is the only way to get your discharge changed or awards corrected once you are separated. From what I hear it's not easy.
Old 07-21-2014, 4:04 PM
CGSSA Coordinator

DIShonorable to Honorable is almost unheard of, you pretty much have to prove you were innocent and maliciously prosecuted.

Other Than Honorable to Honorable is sometimes granted. Either way, meaningless for a reservist, because they don't get DD-214's, it DOES NOT DO JACK SQUAT to people's civilian careers to be chaptered out of the reserves for some other than honorable reason.

FYI for full disclosure purposes, I was a medical conditional discharge under honorable conditions in 2005.
Old 07-21-2014, 4:09 PM

after a few years it'll be upgraded to Honorable and she'll be fine.
Old 07-23-2014, 11:01 PM
CGSSA Coordinator

Like employers in most non security related jobs even care