Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Southern California Chapters
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-03-2014, 8:52 AM

Default The area west of Palm Springs off Hwy111?

There is an area south of Hwy 111 just before you reach the city limits of Palm Springs. Those who have gone there know that it is a "trash dump". A Palm Springs gun shop directed me there 25 years ago. I have shot there a dozen times over the years. I searched and couldn't find any solid info on it. One states it is an old police range, another states it is private land and the owner doesn't care if people shoot. I was out there a few years ago and their was a fire to the east on the next hillside over. Tons of LEO, FD and water dropping copters. I figure if it was uncool to be shoot they would have said something. Has anyone ran into any "trouble" with LEO, while shooting there?

Does anyone know what the deal is with this place? BLM? Clays? Steel core ammo?

Deleted map. PM me if you want info.

Last edited by Number Six; 07-17-2014 at 8:03 PM..
Old 06-25-2014, 3:17 PM

It's a former LEO range. Steel core is fine and clays. It's BLM land, anything goes really. Just stay legal.
Old 06-25-2014, 3:27 PM

I used to shoot there years ago. Never had any problems except for the heat. Don't know if it is still legal though.

Last edited by StuckInTheP.R.O.Ca; 06-25-2014 at 3:32 PM..
Old 06-25-2014, 4:30 PM

Yes it is still legal to shoot there. There are no restrictions except those that apply anywhere, all the time.
and of course, be a good citizen and clean up your own mess.
Old 06-26-2014, 12:00 PM

^^^What he said ^^^
Old 06-26-2014, 2:17 PM

You might want to hide the information about the actual location including the videos...a lot of people on the forum don't want shooting locations publicized (and I'm not saying one way or another, so don't flame me).

There's a sh*tload of garbage and I've seen other areas just as trashed get closed. Clean more than your fair share.

I think there's some interest in doing a cleanup there, if someone wants to get it rolling...

Lots of wind at times making it almost impossible to shoot.
Old 07-10-2014, 10:21 PM

I agree with gwhoops, many of the folks on the forum already know where these shooting locations are. It would be nice to hide/remove the vids and maps locations, you can always pass these on in a PM if someone is especially interested.

BTW it appears that as of May 22, 2014 that the BLM has gone to a Stage III for the this area, as well as many other areas.

http://www.blm.gov/ca/st/en/fo/palmsprings.html Go to the bootom of the page for a link to a PDF with the full details and maps. Here is an explanation of the stages.

Seasonal Fire Restrictions
A.
Throughout the entire year all BLM managed public lands within the California Desert District will be considered to be in Stage I restrictions. Some areas that may be experiencing extreme fire danger may be elevated to Stage II or Stage III restrictions. Please check with local field offices for area restrictions.
B.
Stage restriction definitions:
Stage I Restriction – Campfires, barbecues and gas stoves are allowed with a permit. All public lands within the California Desert Conservation Area (CDCA) shall be in Stage I restrictions. Please check with local field offices for area restrictions
Stage II Restriction – Setting, building, maintaining, attending, or using open fire of any kind, except campfires within approved fire pits and grills provided for in developed recreation sites, is prohibited. Controlled flame devices such as portable stoves fueled by petroleum or LPG products are allowed by permit. Please check with local field offices for area restrictions.
Stage III – Recreational/Target shooting of any type is prohibited. Setting, building, maintaining, attending, or using open fire of any kind is prohibited in identified areas throughout the California Desert District. Controlled flame devices such as portable stoves fueled by petroleum or LPG products are allowed only by permit. Smoking is only permitted within enclosed vehicles or camp trailers. Please check with local field offices for area

Thanks,
R³ - R3Designs
NRA Endowment Member
Supporter of the
2nd Amendment
Old 07-17-2014, 6:49 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaaslayer View Post
It's a former LEO range. Steel core is fine and clays. It's BLM land, anything goes really. Just stay legal.
That area has been closed since May 23. And no steel core ammo is allowed.

Effective Beginning Friday, May 23, 2014,
and until further notice:
For all BLM-managed lands within the jurisdiction of the Palm Springs - South Coast Field Office that fall within the Stage III Seasonal Fire Restriction area, recreational target shooting of any type is prohibited. The Stage III Seasonal Fire Restriction area includes all BLM lands in San Diego and Orange counties, portions of Los Angeles and Ventura counties, and most of Riverside County west / south of Highway 111, and west / north of Highway 62.

http://www.blm.gov/ca/st/en/fo/palms...formation.html

Shoot only retrievable, freestanding targets. Please use paper targets only. Do not use glass bottles, appliances, and other refuse as targets. Shooting glass objects, electronic waste and any items that may contain hazardous materials (i.e. Freon, propane, etc.) is prohibited. Exploding targets are prohibited.

Do not use plastic pellets, tracer rounds, exploding rounds, steel-core rounds or jacketed ammunition on BLM-managed lands.

Where may I not shoot while on BLM lands?
Do not shoot from or on a public road or highway, or from a motor vehicle. Do not shoot in the direction of any road, hiking trail or parking area. Do not shoot across a road, trail, or wash.
Shooting is prohibited:
• within one mile of all campgrounds and developed recreation sites;
• within 150 yards (300 yards within Riverside County) of any man-made structure, home, barn, outbuilding, motor home, camper, or any inhabited area;
• or within 100 yards of any roadway. Since it is prohibited to drive that far off existing roads, you must be prepared to safely hike to your chosen shooting location.
• RULES & REGULATIONS
• CFR= Code of Federal Regulations
• PC= CA Penal Code
• F&G= CA Fish and Game Code
• No shooting without an adequate backstop and clear visibility {43 CFR 8365.1-4(a)(2), PC 372}
• Select the base of a substantial hill or crosswise canyon bottom, and give serious consideration to downrange safety, including ricochets and potential illegal alien trails hidden in the brush.
• No shooting down, across, or from a public road {PC 374(c)}
• Include even remote, unpaved roads that can carry an unexpected, quiet mountain biker or fast off-road vehicle.
• No shooting tracer or incendiary devices {43 CFR 9212.1(b)}
• During much of the year, fire orders also prohibit steel core ammunition.
• No shooting buildings, towers, fences, or other structures {18 USC 1361, 43 CFR 8365.1-5(a)(1)}
• This includes the international border fence and other man-made features.
• No shooting trees or significant natural features {43 CFR 8365.1-5(a)(1)}
• The intentional placing of targets in front of or on oak, sycamore, and other significant trees results in damaging the bark and threatening the resources’ viability.
• No shooting glass {43 CF 8365.1-4(a)(2), PC 372}
• Broken glass can injure wildlife and domestic dogs and can permanently damage the public lands for other recreational uses.
• No littering {43 CFR 8365.1-1(b)(1), PC 374.4(a)}
• All targets, trash, and shells must be picked up. While this should include everything you shoot at, whether you brought it out or not, cleaning up an entire site is the best way to preserve your legal sporting interest. The litter from clays lasts for years, so don’t shoot them unless you plan on picking up all of the visible fragments.
• No hunting from a motor vehicle (F&G Code Section 3002)
• It is unlawful to shoot at any game bird or mammal, including a marine mammal as defined in Section 4500, from a powerboat, sailboat, motor vehicle, or airplane.
• No shooting within 150 yards of a dwelling or across a roadway (PC 246 and F&G Code Section 3004).
• It is illegal to shoot within 150 yards of a home, barn, outbuilding, house car, camper or any inhabited area. It is illegal to intentionally discharge any firearm or release any arrow or crossbow bolt over or across any public road or other established way open to the public in an unsafe and reckless manner.
• No gross negligent shooting (PC 246.3)
Any person who willfully discharges a firearm in a grossly negligent manner which could result in injury or death to a person is guilty of a public offense.
Old 07-17-2014, 10:12 AM

A guy I worked with used to shoot there all the time, I prefer the palm springs gun club in 1000 palms. If you are not a member, there is a waiting list, but you can shoot with a member as a guest.

Front Sight Heritage Member
Old 07-17-2014, 10:19 AM
membrum ex machina
CGN Contributor

I haven't been out there in about three years. It used to be my favorite spot. When it reopens I think I'll take a trip out there
Mark 16:16
Old 07-17-2014, 8:20 PM

Thanks for the replies and info. On the advise of members I deleted the map and video links. Anyone checking out the thread probably knows this place. Though given the new restrictions, the video of the water dropping helicopters is probably relevant. Deserts do burn.

As far as cleaning that place, I think it is a lost cause, at least the "main" area at the end, up on the rise. There is decades of debris and other nasty stuff that probably would be best left unidentified. Though, a few years back there were two young hippie chicks, that looked like Manson Family members, wandering around collecting brass. Probably to buy meth or at their pimps insistence. So there is some clean up going on.