Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Range Cleanups
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

CGSSA Range Cleanups Schedule dates and time to clean up outdoor ranges. If we don't who will?

Old 04-02-2014, 1:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Licht View Post
It's also the area where the lazy people go...

Too lazy to walk up the hill = too lazy to pick up their trash!

I'm sure the green BLM stakes were simply to replace the ones that the knuckleheads shot up in the last year! I cleaned up 4-5 of those fiberglass stakes out on the backside that had been shot to S#!t!!!
I think that's being a little harsh. I for one like shooting there simply because its close to level, big rocks aren't as close(ricochet), I prefer not to drive my car up the hill if I can avoid it. Plus I usually go with a group and its easier for first time visitors (who are usually late) to find the group.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Old 04-02-2014, 3:03 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Location: Somewhere in the Inland Empire between the mountains, the desert, and the beach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irock1985 View Post
I think that's being a little harsh. I for one like shooting there simply because its close to level, big rocks aren't as close(ricochet), I prefer not to drive my car up the hill if I can avoid it. Plus I usually go with a group and its easier for first time visitors (who are usually late) to find the group.

Didn't mean to hurt your feelings! LOL! If you cannot drive up the hill, then walk!

Truth is nobody should ever shoot there, as it's too close (within 150 yards)to the road! But that is where I see huge amounts of trash too! Might be illegal dumping there as well! With the new signage nobody should shoot there (except those that cannot read or don't care).

First timers should be properly schooled in what to do and what not to do; it's your job as a responsible gun owner (and the one inviting the newbs) to teach them the proper ways.
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed one.
--Thomas Jefferson
Quote:
Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies. --Groucho Marx
Old 04-03-2014, 4:01 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Location: Somewhere in the Inland Empire between the mountains, the desert, and the beach

****TRASH PILE UPDATE****

Went up there today to zero my new optic and shoot with another CGN'er.

Not sure who, but someone has been taking loads off the pile by the road! It is substantially smaller than it was late Saturday afternoon! Not enough at all for another 40 yard dumpster! ...and no, I didn't take any pics!
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed one.
--Thomas Jefferson
Quote:
Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies. --Groucho Marx
Old 04-03-2014, 5:04 PM
CGSSA Leader

Quote:
****TRASH PILE UPDATE****

Went up there today to zero my new optic and shoot with another CGN'er.

Not sure who, but someone has been taking loads off the pile by the road! It is substantially smaller than it was late Saturday afternoon! Not enough at all for another 40 yard dumpster! ...and no, I didn't take any pics!
The pile did look smaller. Omg there were so many people on the front side when I left at 5, hope they pick up after themselves.

Old 04-03-2014, 5:38 PM
Veteran Member

The County Supervisors office works with Waste Management, I got an email yesterday from the Program Administrator at Riverside County Waste Management Department and he said they have trucks that will get the trash next week, I wonder if they were able to start early?
Old 04-03-2014, 6:04 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by purer00r View Post
The pile did look smaller. Omg there were so many people on the front side when I left at 5, hope they pick up after themselves.
Did you notice the illiterates shooting on the left in the area clearly marked "No Shooting/Unsafe"?

We might cure littering with our presence and our cleanups, but we will never cure stupidity!
--Thomas Jefferson
Quote:
Old 04-03-2014, 6:20 PM
CGSSA Leader

Quote:
Did you notice the illiterates shooting on the left in the area clearly marked "No Shooting/Unsafe"?

We might cure littering with our presence and our cleanups, but we will never cure stupidity!
nah they mustve left by the time i went thru. i was busy keeping an eye on my new 3 ladies...lol

Old 04-03-2014, 6:52 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by retired View Post
Just a fyi: During the first clean up (2012 IIRC), two of the rangers advised me the area on the right, at the bottom of the hill when you first drive in, is too close to the road for shooting. The rangers said the area was less than 150yrds. from the road and therefore not permitted.

Since I do not go there to shoot other than during the cleanups, I have no idea if they cited people for shooting there the last couple of years. I would surmise something occurred recently that prompted the signage being posted Saturday.
Interesting. I shot there over the years without issue, mainly because I drive a Mazda 3 with no clearance. The flat area is also perfect for targets stands. The large flat area is approx 100yds to the rocks, so great to dial in a scope. Well, that's that I guess.

From the BLM site:

Quote:
Where may I not shoot while on BLM lands?

- Do not shoot from or on a public road or highway, or from a motor vehicle. - Do not shoot in the direction of any road, hiking trail or parking area.
- Do not shoot across a road, trail, or wash.

Shooting is prohibited:

- within one mile of all campgrounds and developed recreation sites;
- within 150 yards (300 yards within Riverside County) of any man-made structure, home, barn, outbuilding, motor home, camper, or any inhabited area;
- or within 100 yards of any roadway. Since it is prohibited to drive that far off existing roads, you must be prepared to safely hike to your chosen shooting location.
So, not 150 yds, but still 100 yds, that area is a violation. I also find the last sentence is somewhat amusing considering we all drive in.

"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks & corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered. The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs."

KrisAnne Hall on Oregon

"I am sullied - no more" Col. Ted Westhusing
Old 04-06-2014, 7:43 PM

Hello,
Me and a friend went shooting on Saturday April 5th and the place looks great. As has already been stated, the shooting area next to the road is closed and everything north is marked as a no shooting zone.
I think a mentality of clean-up-your-mess has been established as I saw very little litter in my little shooting zone.
I did manage to find targets halfway up the hill. To be honest I was far to chicken to walk up there and pull it as it was already noon and the place sounded like a war zone.

To summarize:
Excellent job on the clean up. Hats off to you. (wish I could have been there)
Old 04-07-2014, 7:10 PM

Went out there this morning around 8am. Waste Management had a crew out there cleaning up the pile next to the road. I could see someone has already left a chair up on the hill. I guess some people just don't get it. You all did a great job and I wish I could have made it.

Thanks to everyone that participated..
Old 04-07-2014, 7:27 PM

Hats off to all that helped in the cleanup, Im sorry i couldnt make it as last minute crap came up.Anways, thanks again to all.
Old 04-07-2014, 8:47 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmac1520 View Post
Went out there this morning around 8am. Waste Management had a crew out there cleaning up the pile next to the road. I could see someone has already left a chair up on the hill. I guess some people just don't get it. You all did a great job and I wish I could have made it.

Thanks to everyone that participated..
Thanks for the update, did they get all the pile or is there some left?
Old 04-10-2014, 5:22 PM

If no update is made I will respond on Saturday

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
Old 04-11-2014, 1:45 PM
CGSSA Leader

I out at SP, the pile is gone!!!

Old 04-11-2014, 1:47 PM

Great news.
Old 04-11-2014, 7:15 PM
CGSSA Leader

Place was pretty empty when I left at 5. Only 3 truck there, place looked clean. I went to a spot right across from the mine shaft, took a bag of 12g and steel cases out. A truck leaving was looking at me funny for raking up.

Old 04-11-2014, 8:31 PM
Calguns Addict

going tomorrow to shoot lets see how the place is
it's a piss poor excuse to quit.
PSN name= entwie_dumayla
"I came into this world with someone else's blood on me and I don't mind leaving the same way..."

Old 04-12-2014, 10:45 AM

Ya its clean. Could be cleaner. But it's holding up. I had a retard next to me shooting 20 cans of brake clean/carb cleaner and asked me if I have shot propane bottles I told him no and it wasn't a good idea to. And told him that's the kinda stuff that will shut the place down. Also was looked at funny as we cleaned our area. Took 2 bags of shotgun shells out along with our brass and steel.

Old 04-12-2014, 1:22 PM
Calguns Addict

its dirty again. shotgun shells everywhere and leftover targets up in the front, but not too dirty.
it's a piss poor excuse to quit.
PSN name= entwie_dumayla
"I came into this world with someone else's blood on me and I don't mind leaving the same way..."

Old 04-12-2014, 3:46 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lwabcizen View Post
Ya its clean. Could be cleaner. But it's holding up. I had a retard next to me shooting 20 cans of brake clean/carb cleaner and asked me if I have shot propane bottles I told him no and it wasn't a good idea to. And told him that's the kinda stuff that will shut the place down. Also was looked at funny as we cleaned our area. Took 2 bags of shotgun shells out along with our brass and steel.

I've gotten that look plenty of times also!

Just proves that we need to educate shooters that they must cleanup after themselves or we will lose the ability to shoot there!
--Thomas Jefferson
Quote:
Old 04-12-2014, 6:21 PM

Attached Images
File Type: jpg uploadfromtaptalk1397355634711.jpg (99.1 KB, 21 views)
Old 04-13-2014, 7:01 AM

Lwabcizen. What's the deal with the left side of first photo? I'm on to your sneaky schemes
Old 04-13-2014, 7:20 AM

Haha ya I didn't notice till after I posted. The fiancé was cleaning up shells.

Old 04-14-2014, 2:42 PM

I figured I'd get someone noticing the calguns sticker on the ammo box

Old 04-15-2014, 6:12 AM

I noticed the sticker, but didn't see the need to point it out.

Thanks for the pics. It's nice to get updates on the trash situation at SP.
“People who follow the rules can protect themselves and their families from people who don’t follow the rules. The Second Amendment should never be an afterthought. It should reside at the forefronts of our minds.
Old 04-16-2014, 8:21 PM

Default Ok, I'll pick up what I can get rid of. Only reason I was asking is because of the pi

Hello Purer00r
Enjoyed shooting next to you after the Steel Peak cleanup.
Good show, Cheers, C & D
Old 04-16-2014, 8:22 PM

Default retired- sent you a pm. Cheers, C & D

Regarding orange target stickers. Cheers, C & D
Old 04-17-2014, 3:38 PM
Super Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by wethankallVeterans View Post
Regarding orange target stickers. Cheers, C & D
Thanks, saw it. Went to their site, but it is not listed and they were closed when I called. Have to try another day. Good meeting all of you.
Old 04-17-2014, 6:36 PM
CGSSA Leader

Was gonna head out to SP tomorrow, check out the scene. Anybody else going out there??

Old 04-17-2014, 8:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by purer00r View Post
Was gonna head out to SP tomorrow, check out the scene. Anybody else going out there??
I fiqure on being early tomorrow. I'll look for ya.Is the camo Ford
what you will use ?
Old 04-17-2014, 8:38 PM
CGSSA Leader

Yes sir, I usually hit the other side near the mine shaft. Away from the riffraff

Old 04-17-2014, 8:41 PM
CGSSA Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlast357 View Post
I fiqure on being early tomorrow. I'll look for ya.Is the camo Ford
what you will use ?
What are you in so I can keep an eye out as well

Old 04-17-2014, 8:45 PM

Never been on far side, but I'll just keep chuggin till I see you.
Mine is an old light blue Chevy.
Old 04-17-2014, 8:57 PM
CGSSA Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlast357 View Post
Never been on far side, but I'll just keep chuggin till I see you.
Mine is an old light blue Chevy.
The really nice Chevy that was at the clean up?

Old 04-19-2014, 1:27 PM

Was somewhat at SteelPeak today and apparently someone was struck in the neck by there own ricochet. I don't know the condition of the individual. I hope they are OK. (That's what I liked about the bottom portion as the rocks are a little further out.) 4 Fire trucks, like 10 Police, Ambulance and a helicopter all showed up. It looked crazy. They said he was just rapid firing without much control. Please stay safe out there guys.

Old 04-19-2014, 1:30 PM

That's to bad hope he is okay I think i will stick to bee canyon.
Old 04-19-2014, 3:08 PM

Sucks to hear. Hope he/she is ok. On another note. Don't shoot aerosol' s propane bottles or at rocks with any caliber. Shooter safety is always number one and that means you and the ones around you.

Old 04-19-2014, 4:47 PM

Yeah I really don't understand why people think it's OK to shoot at rocks... This was my first Saturday out in the area and it will probably be my last. I go frequently as I live less than a mile away but I think I'll stick with weekdays like I normally do when it's not so crowded and people aren't squeezing into the questionable areas. Staying on topic though the place was pretty clean still...

Old 04-19-2014, 9:09 PM

Thanks for the update irock

Old 05-17-2014, 4:12 PM

Goin tomorrow to pop some rounds off, was wonderin what the conditions are like out there. Is it still pretty clean?

NRA Member for life

Semper Sometimes – appropriation of Semper Fi used to deride the part-time nature of service in the Marine Corps Reserve. ARAH!!!

I used to make jokes... But then I lost my sense of humor in a boating accident.