Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Survival and Preparations
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Survival and Preparations Long and short term survival and 'prepping'.

Old 03-11-2014, 12:01 PM
CGN Contributor

Rather than worry about the type of SHTF disaster, I would focus on the minimally acceptable solution. As others have mentioned, medical care, water are top priorities. Food, shelter next. Security is important but it doesn't necessarily mean being armed to the teeth. I would prefer to keep a low profile and thus not become a target. Brandishing weapons is perhaps the best way to become target number one - since once someone acquires your weapons they can start marauding.

Another important asset- social capital or a trusted friends network.

But I'd say:
Earthquake is more likely than alien invasion which is more likely than zombie viral epidemic. Cyber attacks are every day- as we become more dependent on networked devices, we will become more vulnerable (think of thermostats, door locks, home security, water, power, gas, cameras all controlled by a computer).

The real SHTF is creeping though- surveillance and monitoring leading to prediction and behavioral influence.
Old 03-11-2014, 12:12 PM
Veteran Member
CGN Contributor

^ Well-stated. Btw, you know as CGN contributer, you can change your member tag from "Junior Member" to something more impressive.
Old 03-11-2014, 5:38 PM

The Carrington Event (a massive sold corona) occurred in 1859. It destroyed telegraph machines and wires and even the trans Atlantic underwater cable. Remember back then telegraph machines were the state of the art communication devices. Think about what might happen today. Scientist estimate this happens every 100 years or so. In fact we dodged a bullet this past August when one of similar magnitude missed us by 2 weeks. So if the last happened in 1859 odds are high >50% one will happen by 2059. Multiply the probability by the potential impact (no power for years) and that's what I'd be prepping for.
Old 03-18-2014, 8:43 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_God View Post
probability of waking up one day, an unarmed slave and taxed at a 50% plus rate is pretty much 100%, that to me is the most likely disaster to occur imho
The largest % of people wouldn't even notice. They would just keep on posting pictures of themselves on facebook , running up their charge cards and learning reality from T.V.,,, all would be good. But lets say a basic food, water, lighting and heating preps wouldn't hurt just in case.

Last edited by Sunday; 03-18-2014 at 8:58 AM..
Old 03-18-2014, 1:47 PM

I wonder if any of the preppers in Crimea planned for and were prepared for their "event"?
Old 03-18-2014, 2:53 PM
CGSSA Associate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidward View Post
I wonder if any of the preppers in Crimea planned for and were prepared for their "event"?
Not likely... question is has Ukraine started to prepare?
Old 03-18-2014, 3:00 PM
Veteran Member
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidward View Post
I think this is a fair question. If they are ethnic Russian, they should be GTG. If they are native Ukrainian, the main threat will be attack by Russian gangs. In that case, I hope their preps emphasized mobility, because they will probably have to flee the peninsula.