Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Survival and Preparations
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Survival and Preparations Long and short term survival and 'prepping'.

Old 02-28-2014, 11:45 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paltik View Post
Nice blog post!
Old 02-28-2014, 12:11 PM

I'm posting a sign on my door that says this

"So you thought I was crazy. While you were out making it rain at the club and buying 100k cars I was spending my money on resources that could come in handy one day. Guess what today is that day hope those $500 Jordan's get you where you need to go because I packed my SH-T up and took my family to a safe secure location with lots of food, water, ammo and other like minded people. Signed you crazy BFF"
Old 02-28-2014, 12:18 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I got your back, don't worry.

“Silence makes cowards out of the best of men” –Abraham Lincoln

🇺🇸 ⚔️ 🦅

Wounded Knee is the prime example of why the Second Amendment exists, and why we shouldn’t be in such a hurry to surrender our Right to Bear Arms.
Without the Second Amendment we have no way to defend ourselves and our families.
Old 02-28-2014, 12:22 PM
Calguns Addict

My friends: Still preparing for the zombies?

Me: Yep. You?

My friends: Hahaha.

Me: Hahaha. Hahahaha. HAHAHAHA... =l

My friends: =l
Old 02-28-2014, 12:33 PM

If SHTF and I am bugging in/out I will be too preoccupied caring for myself and my immediate family. If the situation allows I will try to make contact with other family members that are in the immediate area AFTER I know my family is safe and secure. This may take days... or weeks even.

Outside of that...NO... no rescue attempt missions for family aAND friends.
Old 02-28-2014, 12:44 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Location: You can not protect the 1st Amendment without the 2nd Amendment........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yugo View Post
All you people need to watch this video to show you how quick things go south. Learn from it and don't make the same mistakes. The last 20 min or so is where you really see how it can go down.
Yugo, if you can find it, check out "Waterborne"
It's a "B" movie with lousy writing and poor acting, but a great example of how fast can things can get bad when the people of Los Angeles and the SFV awake to find no water coming out of their faucets.

Old 02-28-2014, 12:50 PM

In a short term disaster like an earthquake I see no reason not to open my home to friends. I have way more food than I need for one of these month long disasters and plenty of water sanitizer for the local stream. I would assess the water flow before making any decisions. The easiest would probably be to just give them the food they need and send them home. Obviously before giving out any assistance they would need to tell me “you were right and I was wrong”.

In a long term situation I would be leaving my ****ty apartment and heading to family or friends ranches. I bring with me needed medical skills. I think that will open opportunities for me that may have otherwise not been there.
Old 02-28-2014, 1:13 PM

My guns are my friends,

Is that weird???

But in all seriousness, I would not go out to save freinds. Family first. Secure location, food, and water. Then think about saving friends
Old 02-28-2014, 1:57 PM
Calguns Addict

I only have allies, and people I don't communicate with any longer.

What are these "friends", of which you speak?

Very few people should arrive, all else are too ignorant to deal with on the daily...
Old 02-28-2014, 3:58 PM

Make sure my family is safe & secure... then see what (if anything) I can do to help anyone else.

For the most part, I'm looking to meet up with my Brother & his family. He's a paramedic, & I have supplies (as does he).
Old 02-28-2014, 4:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lasbrg View Post
I think, yes. Simply notice how the neighborhood sheeples are acting and copy them, when you have some time to spare. This might including begging, pleading, crying, moaning, running around and generally acting like you are clueless and caught completely off-guard. Your fellow sheeples will then leave you alone. Also, maybe spread rumors that any neighbors that you dislike are sitting on a mountain of supplies and are cruelly keeping it to themselves.
Good idea. its just something I think people overlook when buying military gear for bugging out. Example: I put cycling and shimano stickers on myh gun case, and my ammo is in a laptop case, easy to grababd go regardless of what I'm wearing or carring. I was actually going to convert a guitar, or cello case into a rifle case. You can't blend in LA looking like you are the only one with their $&1T together.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2
Old 02-28-2014, 4:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurman View Post
I'm posting a sign on my door that says this

"So you thought I was crazy. While you were out making it rain at the club and buying 100k cars I was spending my money on resources that could come in handy one day. Guess what today is that day hope those $500 Jordan's get you where you need to go because I packed my SH-T up and took my family to a safe secure location with lots of food, water, ammo and other like minded people. Signed you crazy BFF"
why don't you also put a big red x on your door as a target for all the looters and gangs to rob you or burn you out?
Old 02-28-2014, 9:39 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinB View Post
My Family and Brethren. We are bound by Religion and family. We have only their best interest at heart.

There is only strength in numbers, stand alone, die alone.

It is good to see so many are not ready. Make no mistake, necessity is a cold hearted prick and keeps no friends.

Your first self sufficiency reference guide should be a bible.
^ ^ ^ I can't remember - Is that in the old or new testament?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruss01 View Post
I have two sets of young friends. They're good people, the kind you'd WANT to be around after the dust settles, to help bring the world back online.

They've been alternately starving students, and taking care of ill aged parents and starting their own family. They have not had the years and money that I have had to "get ready". I'm going to need what they have to offer, and they're going to need what I have to offer. I don't hold it against them that they aren't as ready as I am, even so, they are doing what they can and making amazing progress.

They know they're welcome at my place when the balloon goes up, but they also know they'll be required to participate and bring what they can, and they are pleased to have that opportunity.

Would I take in just anybody? Hell no. Would I take in friends we've know for years, just because we've known them for years? I think not. But people who have the right mindset, who are doing what they can to be ready also? Who will be an asset and not a drain on resources? I can't stand a watch by myself 24/7 and even splitting it with the wife leaves precious little time for anything else. If I have to leave the house, I'm without someone to watch my six and she's without anyone to help hold down the fort.

We need friends, and they will need us.
^ ^ ^ I like the way you think!

Quote:
I don't know about "being responsible" for my friends, but I'm definitely preparing to help others. In most SHTF situations where I've found myself, I've had more than enough resources for just my family, and have been able to share food, water, and shelter. Often who's got a home and who doesn't comes down to chance (where the hidden fault lines are, where a fire broke out, etc.), and I live by "do unto others as you would have them do unto you."

But judiciously deciding to share with others is not the same as robotically giving anything I'm asked for. I'm only "responsible for" my own family, and before my Lord for my own actions and decisions.

Check out my recent article about how people are more likely to help one another than to go looting and pillaging after a disaster.
^ ^ ^ Bravo!

"We keep you alive to serve this ship. Row well and live."

"Is that a desert country?" "No; a fat country; fat people." "You are not fat?" "No. I'm different..."
Old 02-28-2014, 10:16 PM
I need a LIFE!!

My closest friends know that if the SHTF, they are welcome to come to my home, bring food, beer and women (not necessarily in that order). On yeah, if they have guns and/or ammo, they should being that too.

Dear autocorrect, I'm really getting tired of your shirt!
Old 02-28-2014, 11:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
I don't know about "being responsible" for my friends, but I'm definitely preparing to help others. In most SHTF situations where I've found myself, I've had more than enough resources for just my family, and have been able to share food, water, and shelter. Often who's got a home and who doesn't comes down to chance (where the hidden fault lines are, where a fire broke out, etc.), and I live by "do unto others as you would have them do unto you."

But judiciously deciding to share with others is not the same as robotically giving anything I'm asked for. I'm only "responsible for" my own family, and before my Lord for my own actions and decisions.

Check out my recent article about how people are more likely to help one another than to go looting and pillaging after a disaster.
In a situation where people have some expectation of a quick response from relief workers I tend to agree that "helping" would be more common then "looting".

Even in a situation where it was blatantly obvious (country wide disaster) that relief wasn't coming anytime soon I think "helping" wouldn't be so prevalent but that most people would still act civilized. At least until things started to get desperate.

In both situations there would obviously be the 10% who would go right to looting as a means of enriching themselves. I think the longer people perceive that it will take to get things back to normal, the sooner they are likely to head down the looting path.

That being said, absent some relief in about a week things will get pretty wild in the affected areas.
Old 03-01-2014, 6:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by furyous68 View Post
Make sure my family is safe & secure... then see what (if anything) I can do to help anyone else.

For the most part, I'm looking to meet up with my Brother & his family. He's a paramedic, & I have supplies (as does he).
That's pretty key right there, if you go on a rescue mission only to return and find out you lost your retreat - you didn't improve anyone's situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamalpias View Post
why don't you also put a big red x on your door as a target for all the looters and gangs to rob you or burn you out?
Reading is fundamental - if he is gone with all the goodies why would anyone rob or burn the place?
Old 03-01-2014, 7:00 AM

Depends on circumstances, Maybe Ill send them all an "in case of mas-scale emergency, open"letter, with rendezvous coordinates encrypted with proprietary information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falstaff View Post
Where is this ammo "Black market" he speaks of? Do they have .223 in stock?
My Home-Made Recurve Bow Thread

Own An 80%? CLICK HERE!

Kevin de Leon, on minority women and profiling.
Old 03-01-2014, 7:25 AM

I just realized that my GF and I will probably be working in hospitals caring for people. So like the firefighters and police, we may be obligated to help. Having a client that is now an arson investigator, he has told me stories about wishing they were armed at times as a firefighter in LA; "some people don't" care he told me. This adds more complexity to my, our prepping scenarios.
Old 03-01-2014, 7:26 AM
Calguns Addict

Just a question....why or how do all your "friends", neighbors, or co-workers, etc., know you have extra food, guns, gas, etc.?

Outside of just a few family members, and my shooting friends....no one knows I keep extra supplies on hand.

Why would you go around broadcasting you are sitting on a mountain of food, ammo, TP, etc? Never could figure that one out myself.

What do you hear ???...... Nothing but the rain. Well grab your gun and bring in the cat.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar15barrels View Post
It makes it bigger and longer.
Old 03-01-2014, 9:13 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorFranko View Post
Yugo, if you can find it, check out "Waterborne"
It's a "B" movie with lousy writing and poor acting, but a great example of how fast can things can get bad when the people of Los Angeles and the SFV awake to find no water coming out of their faucets.

Seen it already

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAMO556 View Post
Voting for Donald Trump is the protest vote against: Keynesian economics, Neocon wars, exporting jobs, open borders, Washington criminal cartel, too big to fail banks and too big to jail pols and banksters.

Cutting off foreign aid to EVERY country and dismantling the police/surveillance state!

Umm yeah!!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanimal View Post
I think this thread needs a rest…..
Old 03-06-2014, 5:24 PM

My like minded "family" is a scarey drive away, we've covered skillsets and set meet points but the odds are not on my side.
Enter plans B, C, and D.

I don't trust strangers as it is, I don't see an open door policy at my place.
After watching WTC Bldg #7 being razed, and considering it's main occupants..

I stumbled onto this note while checking advanced weapons..
"911 = false flag. WTC 7 was brought down by demolition. 47 floors came down in 6 1/2 seconds - not hit by a plane. Just one of hundreds of absurdities that occurred that day. Wake up".
Old 03-06-2014, 5:28 PM
Former cabinetguy
CGN Contributor

I'm planning on my friends rescuing me.

Can’t somebody do something?!?!?!?!
Old 03-06-2014, 5:38 PM
Calguns Addict

The people I am close enough to to trust them enough to allow them in my home when things go to hell are quite well set up themselves, I will help other people out where I can, but there is nobody I need to go running around town looking to help.
Old 03-06-2014, 6:05 PM
Calguns Addict

Most movies suck .
Old 03-06-2014, 6:09 PM
Calguns Addict

You think you'll have friends when SHTF?
Quote:
Originally Posted by five.five-six View Post
I'm planning on my friends rescuing me.
Old 03-06-2014, 6:34 PM
Former cabinetguy
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasND View Post
You think you'll have friends when SHTF?
Guess that means I am on my own

Can’t somebody do something?!?!?!?!
Old 03-13-2014, 11:08 AM

I would only see myself going out to get my girlfriend & her family. I would assume that any friend who really feared for their safety and knew I could provide, that they would make their way to my house to which we will figure that situation out when it happens.
Old 03-13-2014, 11:36 AM

I am only responsible to go get my 2 sons from my inept ex. After that although I love the rest of my family, I will not place my 2 precious little monsters in any more danger than needed. I am going to put together what I have in easy to move containers/bags and ensure that my Bug out/in is setup for my family. My lives with me family. Most of my friends are ex-mil,LEO or oblivious so one way or the other they will manage.

To each their own, but remember that every person you allow inside your circle is raising the chance that your defenses,food and plans will become comprimised.
Old 03-13-2014, 1:37 PM

I my prayer group, we have 5 couples as member, we live around 5 miles from each other. One couple are both foreign school graduate of medicines, now only working as Registered Nurses. One guy is a Master Electrician, working as a troubleshooter for the Navy. Another guy is an official at Border Custom Inspection with Agriculture Degree. I am an Eletrician, wife is a Dentist. One lady in our group is in to canning. Only two guys in our have firearms.
Old 03-13-2014, 1:50 PM
Veteran Member

^ That's a good mix!
Old 03-13-2014, 2:21 PM

Our group meet up once a week. Assign leader of our group, which is me, meet up with leaders of other groups once a month.