Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Survival and Preparations
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Survival and Preparations Long and short term survival and 'prepping'.

Old 02-11-2014, 8:44 AM

Default Emergency Fishing Kit

I have been noticing the the emergency fishing kits that come with some survival kits have been lacking and am working one my own for a couple bags. the first thing I needed was a container, so I thought of the larger soda bottle preforms (baby soda bottles). That should give me enough room to play with. The second thing I noticed lacking is bait. i was thinking a couple inches of a larger drinking straw filled with Powerbait and sealed on both ends might be a good addition. The third is treble hooks. when we go fishing up in the high country, we always use a good quality hook like a Mustad. I figured if I find a lightweight foam material that I can use to protect the hooks, it could also be used for a float. For the line, wrapping it on plastic sewing bobbins should drop right into the tube. Also included will be a few weights, swivels, maybe a drop slide, and some worm hooks, possibly some flies. And if there is still room, maybe a lure like a Panther Martin or maybe some jigs.

Can you guys think of anything else I can add? The tubes are approximately 7/8" x 5". As soon as they come in, I will put one together and post pictures.

Springfield Range Officer in 9mm, Walther PPK/S, Tika T3 Compact in .308, 20g over/under.

NRA Life Member Certified Instructor
Old 02-11-2014, 8:46 AM

No but thats a good idea. I have recently returned to fishing and think that an emergency fishing kit is often overlooked....
Old 02-11-2014, 8:55 AM

If you happen to be near saltwater, I'd add some Sabiki rigs, small egg sinkers, Gulp shrimp/crawdads, and mosquito hooks (Owner, Mustad, whatever).
Old 02-11-2014, 8:58 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Honestly if I was building an emergency bug out fishing kit (which I have), I would start with the Daiwa mini-spinner pole and fill the container it comes in with every possible bit of fishing gear you could need. It has multiple compartments for holding bait, hooks, line(on the reel), sinkers, bobbers, etc. Additionally, I don't think any emergency fishing kit should be without a Yo-Yo auto-reel or two.

They are so valuable it is silly. (Snares, fishing, traps, etc)
Old 02-11-2014, 9:53 AM

Valdier, I already have a couple inbound. As far as fishing poles, we have some really light weight rods that we have had forever and some Shakespeare Microcast reels that we can pack. I already have a larger kit for backpacking the will double as a survival kit in an emergency, but these kits will be sans pole to keep the total weight down to leave room for food and water,

I was also going to pick up some Thompson 0S24's to put a couple in each kit. I figured I would pick up a dozen and put the extras up on Ebay.

Castgold, thanks for that info. I didn't even think about salt. I might have to make another kit for salt. Good thing I have extra tubes coming in.

Springfield Range Officer in 9mm, Walther PPK/S, Tika T3 Compact in .308, 20g over/under.

Old 02-11-2014, 10:41 AM
Veteran Member

I like your idea of power bait in straw, good share thanks.

An auto reel is a good idea, just set, then look other places for food while it sits & waits...
Old 02-11-2014, 12:59 PM
Calguns Addict

I wish I had a place to emergency fish...
I have the emergency drink.
Old 02-11-2014, 1:01 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dano3467 View Post
I like your idea of power bait in straw, good share thanks.

An auto reel is a good idea, just set, then look other places for food while it sits & waits...
They work wonderfully for snares as well. More than capable of lifting a rabbit or squirrel.
Old 02-11-2014, 10:16 PM

I use a plastic medicine bottle for my kit, with the line wrapped around the outside. Shipping peanuts make for good floats/hook protectors.

I'm not real experienced as a fisherman, and really only know what works at 2-3 local spots. Anybody have any recommendations for general-purpose tackle for generic purposes (e.g. pier, lagoon, freshwater lake rigs)?
Old 02-11-2014, 10:59 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

FYI, you may want to check out Best Glide.

http://www.bestglide.com/

They make survival/fishing/sewing kits for the military. I have a couple of their kits.

-- John Wayne as Davy Crockett in The Alamo
Old 02-12-2014, 4:28 AM

When I saw the name, i thought it was going to be for these: http://ray2fish.com/haywardweightlineslider.aspx. These are the bomb. Even though it was not for these, thank you for reminding me about these.

BTW, also thank you for that site, there are some nice things on there.

Old 02-12-2014, 9:20 AM

I would advise people to go fishing with their kit. You will find that you will need more than you are talking about here. If you are going to be near water that has catchable fish in a survival situation you should give yourself every chance you can get.

Some of the backpack units are quite good and you should have a reasonable chance at catching something. You will have to modify it to suit your own needs for the water that you will be fishing.

I live in the sticks and can't think of anywhere that I could use a snare for trapping with any chance of success.
Old 02-12-2014, 9:30 AM
CGSSA OC Chapter Leader

Yeah, if things are THAT bad where ever you are that you CAN'T find ANY food of ANY sort for long enough that you have to resort to primitive fishing..... the LAST thing you will be doing is primitive fishing.
Old 02-12-2014, 3:16 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

KevinB

I think you might be surprised at how successful you would be with a snare. Just practicing when camping I managed to get them working quite well and successfully. Les Stroud (my survival idol), has used them to great success all over the place.

I have to imagine you can do that near a water source (lake/river where fishing would be possible), tons of animals go to water daily.

I completely agree that everyone should fish with their kit. I quickly went from a small tiny survival/backpacking pole to a full tackle bag that I carry my mini-spinner inside of. I want every opportunity to catch as many fish as possible.
Old 02-12-2014, 3:26 PM
Free at Last!
CGN Contributor

Search Intense Angler survival fishing bracelet
Old 02-12-2014, 3:40 PM

You should function test your kit at least every week, just to be sure it works.
Old 02-12-2014, 4:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by valdier View Post
KevinB

I think you might be surprised at how successful you would be with a snare. Just practicing when camping I managed to get them working quite well and successfully. Les Stroud (my survival idol), has used them to great success all over the place.

I have to imagine you can do that near a water source (lake/river where fishing would be possible), tons of animals go to water daily.

I completely agree that everyone should fish with their kit. I quickly went from a small tiny survival/backpacking pole to a full tackle bag that I carry my mini-spinner inside of. I want every opportunity to catch as many fish as possible.
I hunt and fish a lot. I live at the 3000 ft level and know my county as well as anyone. We spend at least 2 weeks in the high country on horseback every year. I still can't think of anyplace where I would run a set of snares and hope to keep myself fed. I have caught many a raccoon with a snare around my wife's chicken coop along with the odd possum and skunk. For me it would be a waste of time and energy.

You should hear the racket a coon makes caught in a snare or conibear trap.
Old 02-12-2014, 6:46 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinB View Post
I hunt and fish a lot. I live at the 3000 ft level and know my county as well as anyone. We spend at least 2 weeks in the high country on horseback every year. I still can't think of anyplace where I would run a set of snares and hope to keep myself fed. I have caught many a raccoon with a snare around my wife's chicken coop along with the odd possum and skunk. For me it would be a waste of time and energy.

You should hear the racket a coon makes caught in a snare or conibear trap.
Psh! Just from your post I already figured it out!

Set about a half dozen snares in the chicken coop and you would be set!!!

I actually don't think snares are a good way to stay fed long term, I am just thinking they make a great supplemental system for potentially catching food while you sleep (like Yo-yo fishing while you sleep)

I am really jealous about the 2 weeks horse backing... since moving back to California from Idaho I haven't hardly been out on anything other than trail rides in years.
Old 02-12-2014, 7:11 PM

I put together a small fishing kit to take along when I go 4 wheeling.

I started with a small 5x7in? clear divided "tackle box"... threw in a variety of lures, weights, flys, hooks, etc. Then I bought the smallest UglyStick made (my favorite brand) and attached a small spin reel I already had. The set up worked well, and didn't take up any room in the rig. I have since replaced the UglyStick with a 6' backpacking pole (breaks down into much smaller sections). It's not the best set up for a BOB, but it works well in a BOV scenario
Old 02-15-2014, 1:16 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElvenSoul View Post
Search Intense Angler survival fishing bracelet
Great videos and idea thanks!
America was founded by men who understood that the threat of domestic tyranny is as great as any threat from abroad. If we want to be worthy of their legacy, we must resist the rush toward ever-increasing state control of our society. Otherwise, our own government will become a greater threat to our freedoms than any foreign terrorist.

-Ron Paul
Old 02-25-2014, 2:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by valdier View Post
KevinB

I bought a few packs of snares online and keep them in my truck at all times. I have a dozen squirrel/rabbit-sized snares, two coon-sized snares, and a coyote/deer sized snare. They are small, light, and I am confident if SHTF, these will be much more useful than a fishing pole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rootuser View Post
There are too many in this forum that do nothing. Don't vote, don't belong to the NRA, don't donate time and or money, etc etc so the anti-gun bills will just keep coming and coming. You are right. Us doing nothing at all won't help.
Old 02-25-2014, 5:04 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAL.BAR View Post
Yeah, if things are THAT bad where ever you are that you CAN'T find ANY food of ANY sort for long enough that you have to resort to primitive fishing..... the LAST thing you will be doing is primitive fishing.
Wrong. The ocean is better than a grocery store. Easy pickings if you have a clue what you are doing. If I can't get food at the store I can go load up enough fish for 5 people in less than an hour, everyday of the week. Tidepools are even better. You don't even have to fish. You can just walk around and pick up your dinner. If you want a great piece of survival gear a speargun and a mask will serve you well.
Old 02-25-2014, 5:09 PM
Free at Last!
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckhandmike View Post
Wrong. The ocean is better than a grocery store. Easy pickings if you have a clue what you are doing. If I can't get food at the store I can go load up enough fish for 5 people in less than an hour, everyday of the week. Tidepools are even better. You don't even have to fish. You can just walk around and pick up your dinner. If you want a great piece of survival gear a speargun and a mask will serve you well.
Same with a lake...frogs are good eating. Lots of snakes to catch.
Old 02-25-2014, 5:19 PM

This is the one I have.

http://www.survivalresources.com/Pro...ollection.html

Itís never too early to learn that the government is a greedy piglet
that suckles on a taxpayerís teet until they have sore, chapped nipples.
Old 02-25-2014, 5:25 PM
Free at Last!
CGN Contributor

http://www.zimmerbuilt.com/tenkara-gear.html

I have the chest pack and ebira...they work awesome!
Old 02-25-2014, 5:35 PM

Hell I guess I have a Pro gear in my bug out bag I have a full size travel rod with a full size reel and a spool of line and spoons, flies, hooks many different sizes every little weights as I can use rocks for weights if needed. I have beads, corkies and yarn also.

With some of the kits I researched I would do more searching around for stuff then just taking the rod out attaching the reel and set it up for what I plan on fishing for my line gets replaced on my reel every year and never used.

But then again in my truck my truck I have normally 3 or 4 rods every day. and the same for reels and gear I have everything to get sharks to trout. I think I am addicted to fishing also.
Old 02-25-2014, 5:38 PM
Free at Last!
CGN Contributor

Oh wow I forgot what fun reels are

Damn Tenkara Bums are ruining fishing making it simpler
Old 02-25-2014, 5:55 PM

'Ive always carried a net for any small streams or creeks. The net may be big for some people but i have a 4' by 12' survival net and it s about the size of a football but the amount of stuff i can use it for is crazy.
Old 02-25-2014, 6:32 PM
Free at Last!
CGN Contributor

I carry a net
http://www.tenkarabum.com/shimano-folding-net.html
Old 03-07-2014, 2:26 PM

Have a surfcaster and a lighter rig for lake and river, new line on both with a bunch of goodies. Yo-Yos have been proven through the years, and are on my list.

If you're looking at ocean.. it won't be "emergency" sized.
After watching WTC Bldg #7 being razed, and considering it's main occupants..

I stumbled onto this note while checking advanced weapons..
"911 = false flag. WTC 7 was brought down by demolition. 47 floors came down in 6 1/2 seconds - not hit by a plane. Just one of hundreds of absurdities that occurred that day. Wake up".
Old 03-07-2014, 3:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckhandmike View Post
Take deckhandmike's advice to the bank

And to echo what was said further above, make sure you fish with whatever survival fishing kit you think will feed you in whatever scenarios you feel are likely...most are going to be disappointed and thus educated, and that means greater likelihood of survival.

Something else to consider, far better than a few yards of monofilament and a hook for many situations is a net. The right net for the right water is an amazing, efficient thing.
Old 03-07-2014, 4:31 PM
Veteran Member

In general fishing gear is light even in full size rod reel combos and going micro size might hurt more than help. When you are not a great fishermen take every advantage you can get.

Last edited by deckhandmike; 03-07-2014 at 5:06 PM..
Old 03-08-2014, 9:58 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

It isn't so much about being light as it is about being portable. If your car breaks down while you are driving in back country, you probably don't want to carry a get home bag, a full size rod and reel, tackle bag and bait, etc... you want something portable, light and capable of doing the job reliably. Hence the pole I previously mentioned/linked
Old 03-09-2014, 5:17 PM
Veteran Member

If it's a get home bag just walk faster. This would be for way more screwed.
Old 03-09-2014, 5:26 PM
Free at Last!
CGN Contributor

This
http://willowhavenoutdoor.com/featur...eep-on-giving/

And cat fish noodling
http://www.sportinglife360.com/index...noodling-3591/