Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns LEOs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns LEOs LEOs; chat, kibitz and relax. Non-LEOs; have a questions for a cop? Ask it here, in a CIVIL manner.

Old 02-20-2014, 1:30 AM

Default In final hiring process for SDSD and received jury duty notice

HI,

I am currently on the final steps on the hiring process for San Diego Sheriff's Department. If all goes well after my voice stress analysis and interview, i may be attending their academy as soon as May 5th for L.E. or May 30th for Detention and Courts Deputy.

Yesterday I received a Jury Duty notice for March 17. I cannot afford to be selected for Jury Duty because it may affect my academy date. I need advice on my options to be excused for jury duty. Is there something I can do besides explaining my situatuation on my Jury Duty date?

Thank You.
Old 02-20-2014, 2:33 AM
I need a LIFE!!

IIRC, you can request a temporary delay in service. I think it's something like 90 days. Should be listed on the form. Might depend in what county you are in though.

Dear autocorrect, I'm really getting tired of your shirt!
Quote:
Originally Posted by LugerDevil666 View Post
No more stupid threads. you have my word
Quote:
Originally Posted by LugerDevil666 View Post
Rule 1 I'll admit I'm a jerk when I post stupid thread.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmut Shmacher View Post
I'll do the picking.. Name wise .. if you don't mind...
Formerly lugerdevil666
Old 02-20-2014, 3:27 AM

Non LEO but I delayed mine before but can't remember how long. Your academy will be like 6 months though. I would talk to your BI or Rep from SD and see what they say. Chances are you'll be excused anyway when u call in. Trying to get out of it might not look good to an agency looking to hire you. Good luck
Old 02-20-2014, 7:48 AM

A co worker once asked, "how would they know if I recvd the notice?"...its not certified.
But then there's that whole integrity thing..ha
Old 02-20-2014, 8:00 AM

If you have Jury Duty on March 17 and may go in to the academy in May, this is effecting your Academy date how? You may full fill your requirement in less than a week so you would not have to worry about it from that point on. Once you are hired, there is an exempt box for law enforcement.

I'm pretty sure that once you are in the jury box and there is a some voir dire questions, you will probably be dismissed by both the Prosecution and defense. Also if you tell the judge your dilemma of starting the academy in May and that POST has mandatory learning domains you must attend, any lengthy trail that would extend past a week could in fact jeopordize your hiring, the judge may find good cause to dismiss you.

Agencies like to see you full fill your civic duty, just like they make sure you filled out your selective service card in background checks.

You may want to be selected as it will give you insight on what a jury panel is thinking while they deliberate on a criminal case. I have had the DA win a bunch of cases but lose some and as an LEO I wondered what the jury was thinking. I never had the chance of sitting on a jury panel and now I wish I would have on at least one occasion. That way if I ever had the chance to answer questions the jury may have wanted answered in my report, I would have beat them to the punch sort of speak. This may make you a better report writer and open up your ability to be a great detective.

Last edited by OneNcustdy; 02-20-2014 at 9:25 AM.. Reason: spelling error
Old 02-20-2014, 8:17 AM

I would agree with OneNcustdy that a March 17th jury duty date most likely won't effect your possible Academy start dates for May. That is unless it will be a lengthy trial in which the judge should always ask if a lengthy trial would be an undue burden on any jury members. Then that is when you bring up your academy start date and of the POST has the mandatory learning domains to be completed
Old 02-20-2014, 8:34 AM

No chance in H E hockey sticks you will end up in a jury. Call the court, tell them what's up and you will be excused.
Old 02-20-2014, 8:53 AM

OneNcustdy hit it right on the money.
Old 02-20-2014, 8:59 AM

I came into LE at 21. I never had an opportunity to sit and be part of a jury. After testifying several times on jury trial cases in both misdemeanor and felony trials, I wish I knew what it was like on the other side of the court room and how their thought process were, and to see what questions they come up with in regards to my testimony when they deliberate, the defense testimony, evidence, closing arguments etc. basically to better myself and how I can improve myself on the next case and trial.

Good luck with getting hired.
Old 02-22-2014, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneNcustdy View Post
If you have Jury Duty on March 17 and may go in to the academy in May, this is effecting your Academy date how? You may full fill your requirement in less than a week so you would not have to worry about it from that point on. Once you are hired, there is an exempt box for law enforcement.

I'm pretty sure that once you are in the jury box and there is a some voir dire questions, you will probably be dismissed by both the Prosecution and defense. Also if you tell the judge your dilemma of starting the academy in May and that POST has mandatory learning domains you must attend, any lengthy trail that would extend past a week could in fact jeopordize your hiring, the judge may find good cause to dismiss you.

Agencies like to see you full fill your civic duty, just like they make sure you filled out your selective service card in background checks.

You may want to be selected as it will give you insight on what a jury panel is thinking while they deliberate on a criminal case. I have had the DA win a bunch of cases but lose some and as an LEO I wondered what the jury was thinking. I never had the chance of sitting on a jury panel and now I wish I would have on at least one occasion. That way if I ever had the chance to answer questions the jury may have wanted answered in my report, I would have beat them to the punch sort of speak. This may make you a better report writer and open up your ability to be a great detective.
I think you are right. My concern was that it may be lenghty trial. Two years ago I went to jury duty and if selected, it would have taken 8 months.

I guess i will find out on the 17th. Like you mentioned it may work for my benefit if I became a juror for a short trial.
Old 02-22-2014, 8:07 PM

Is it State or Federal ? If Federal you will not be excused. However, you should not get selected to sit on a trial on the Fed.
Old 02-23-2014, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickael81 View Post
I think you are right. My concern was that it may be lenghty trial. Two years ago I went to jury duty and if selected, it would have taken 8 months.

I guess i will find out on the 17th. Like you mentioned it may work for my benefit if I became a juror for a short trial.
An eight month jury trial is super, super rare. Anything over few weeks is pretty uncommon. A couple days to two weeks is pretty much the norm.
Old 02-26-2014, 10:41 PM

I sat on a jury for a murder trial quite some time ago and if I remember correctly it was like 3 or 4 weeks long. REALLY interesting and awesome experience.

Just show up for jury duty. It's not going to interfere with your academy, and if you're lucky, you will get selected for the jury and learn something.
Old 02-27-2014, 8:33 AM

My last 2 calls for Jury duty in San Diego and I didn't miss a single day of work. With the roster system, you are "on call" for the next day, and by the end of the week you are released.

IF you get called in, take your paperwork with you. Most cases wrap up in a week (they will tell you up front if they think it will be more) and they work with the potential jurrors to not create a hardship (they don't want a hung jury or a mis-trial either).

IF you get to go to a Jury, DO IT!!! As an LEO you will be exempt from virtually any criminal case, this may be your ONLY time to experience the Justice system from something OTHER than the witness stand.
Old 02-28-2014, 12:15 AM

Thanks for all the suggestions. After reading everyones comments, I think it would be a great opportunity for me to experience the justice system as a juror. If it's only a few weeks to a month, it will definitely won't interfere with my academy date
Old 02-28-2014, 1:42 AM

so you wanted to circumvent the law (jury duty) because you are going to school to enforce the laws??
Old 03-05-2014, 7:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickael81 View Post
Thanks for all the suggestions. After reading everyones comments, I think it would be a great opportunity for me to experience the justice system as a juror. If it's only a few weeks to a month, it will definitely won't interfere with my academy date
Now you'll probably get seating on a civil trial.