Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns LEOs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns LEOs LEOs; chat, kibitz and relax. Non-LEOs; have a questions for a cop? Ask it here, in a CIVIL manner.

Old 02-17-2014, 7:44 PM

Default Seeing people you've arrested in public while off duty

Just a curious question for the LEO's on here. Have you ever ran into someone while you were off duty that you arrested? What was it like and did they do anything threatening towards you or your family?
Old 02-17-2014, 7:53 PM
Senior Member Xtraordinar
CGN Contributor

That's why you carry 24/7 and have a action plan in place with your family when this situation presents itself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NRA Certified Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/PPIH/PPOH Instructor | NRA Certified RSO | NRA Life Member | GSSF Life Time Member | Surefire Low Light Instructor | Glock Certified Armorer | Utah CCW Instructor | Nevada CCW Instructor
Old 02-17-2014, 8:28 PM

That's why I don't ***** where I sleep. My partner lives in the area we patrol. He has come across people we have arrested while he was with his family. Some pretend they don't recognize him, which he does. Some say "hey u arrested me. He just walks away. We all normally have a plan with our families if shtf, e.I. wife walks away. That's why we always carry. People don't like cops.

I personally haven't..............yet.
Old 02-17-2014, 8:30 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I did. Horrible experience while eating at a noodle shop.
Old 02-17-2014, 8:55 PM
Banned

Lock and loaded 24/7 and ready when the time comes.
Old 02-17-2014, 8:56 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

They were out of Rooster hot sauce?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason McDuffie View Post
I did. Horrible experience while eating at a noodle shop.
Old 02-17-2014, 9:20 PM

I have and haven't had an issue....I ran into a couple of guys at a car show...they actually bought me a beer....

I try to treat everyone with respect and dignity even when I don't feel like doing it. I make every attempt to make them feel like I am treating them with respect. Gangster know whats up and getting busted is part of the life. Don't make doing the job personal and it is a lot easier to handle the off duty run ins.

I also carry 24/7

John 15:13

donate to support the cause
http://shop42a.com/

"Let us form one body, one heart, and defend to the last warrior our country, our homes, our liberty, and the graves of our fathers." Tecumseh
Old 02-17-2014, 10:01 PM
Super Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

I never met someone I arrested and it might have had something to do with living out of the county I worked in. That said, I did run across someone who had been a trusty for me when I first hired on and worked the old jail in L.A.

My wife and two kids (one in stroller) where in a J.C. Penneys and some guy yells out, "Hey Deputy ****." I look and this guy, who was with a few buddies begins walking towards us. I immediately told my wife to leave and she took off with the kids in the opposite direction. I began walking toward the guy to keep him farther away from the family.

As he we met, he asked me if I remembered him from CJ and I softly, but pointedly told him to keep away from me and my family. His eyes got a little big, but he immediately turned around and walked away.

Took me a few minutes to find my family, as my wife skedaddled pretty fast. She was a bit scared at first, but once I explained everything was ok and she did great, it was fine. We left the store and went elsewhere.

The only other time was another inmate who I saw when I went into my regular cleaners. That was a bit of a shock. Another former trusty. Thankfully a short time later he got in an accident with the store van, left it in the street and ran off. Evidently wanted for something.

I too, was armed during both of these occasions as I always was and still am even tho retired.
Old 02-17-2014, 10:08 PM
Veteran Member

The other day I had a thug smirk at me and say "good morning officer" while I was off duty at Starbucks. More than a little disconcerting, especially since I didn't recognize the guy at all but he knew me....
Old 02-18-2014, 1:27 AM

Yes, almost 20 years ago, I was with my wife at a shopping mall, during Christmas time when a gangster started shouting at me across the fountain. My wife walked away and I was left standing there, in a crowded mall, wondering how I could ever make a shot on the turd. He walked away, I watched him go. He had yelled a few swear words at me, but not enough for 69 PC and he wasn't on probation or parole at the time, so no revocation procedures.
Old 02-18-2014, 4:33 AM

A gangster walked up to me while off duty at Universal City Walk and said, "What's up ####, do you recognize me? I bladed and thought it was on. He laughed and reminded me where we met and then walked away. Not a good feeling.
Old 02-18-2014, 4:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishJoe3 View Post
The other day I had a thug smirk at me and say "good morning officer" while I was off duty at Starbucks. More than a little disconcerting, especially since I didn't recognize the guy at all but he knew me....

Most cops I know just hve the look that screams "cop!" Where In uniform or not. Playing the "hi officer" game is just funny.
Old 02-18-2014, 5:30 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

In college, I was working at the closest gas station to CMC and had a "customer", who was wating for a tow truck, start naming every CO who came in and telling me which facility he new them from. He had been all over the state. Anyway, he finally walked up to one he knew from Solidad and started a conversation. 27 years later I still remember watching "Gonzalas" squirm as the ex-on asked about his wife and kids as he tried to place where he knew the DB from. Next time I saw the CO, I let him know where he knew the guy from. BTW, it was a bit spooky for me too. I was closing the place at midnight and working alone while the DB was just hanging out.

Offering low cost private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.
Old 02-18-2014, 5:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishJoe3 View Post
Had this experience months ago, disconcerting indeed!
Old 02-18-2014, 5:56 AM
Veteran Member

I'm an explorer and I have frequently ran into an individual that we arrested. He doest recognize me, which is a good thing. I don't have the option to carry as of now.
Old 02-18-2014, 6:52 AM

I run into "clients" all the time, sometimes multiple on a daily basis if Im out and about. Always a positive interaction so far. It's mostly like this "hey (my last name). hey. what's up. not a lot. You staying out of trouble. yea, I only relapsed once this month. Good, glad you're doing well, see ya later."

At my job, I'm firm but fair. they may not like me, but they also don't see me as someone to seek revenge against. Most don't take it personal to be disciplined for what they know is wrong. However, there are absolutely certain clients that I would avoid if possible. I also never initiate an interaction. If I realize they recognize me, ill just give them a little head nod and they do the same, then they're on their way. A lot of them are with friends or family and dont want to be recognized as an inmate.

I saw a frequent flyer in the jail the other day and he says "man, i saw you at Chevron the other day, I was gonna say hi, but then I thought 'sh**, i have warrants', so I didn't.

Like another guy said, for most of these people, going to jail is a completely normal experience.

Last edited by trob; 02-18-2014 at 7:15 AM..
Old 02-18-2014, 7:38 AM

I did transport for 8 years where I moved 150-200 inmates a day and have done patrol for 3.
My wife has worked custody and classification for 15.
We work in Sacramento and often recognize people about town. The incident that blew my mind was when I was recognized by a sales clerk while on or honeymoon in Costa Rica. She's been approached several times in SF.
Both carry 24/7. Never been a concern for either of us as long as we don't have kids with us.
More often than not it's a fairly positive interaction. I've only had one that was bad. The mom of an arrested subject saw me about a week later and threw a soda on me.

Last edited by Rockit; 02-18-2014 at 7:45 AM..
Old 02-18-2014, 7:39 AM

My experience has been pretty much similar to what trob just stated. The important take away being "Firm but Fair". Most criminals know the deal- we wear a uniform and in a sense the inked up gangster or tweaker wears their "team colors". Most know the role we each play.
With that said -be polite, courteous and prepared to kill every single person you meet.
Old 02-18-2014, 8:08 AM
Calguns Addict

I work in a jail so I do not really get to arrest anyone, but some inmates swore they were going to kill me in their life time (5150 inmates usually). I guess good thing is that I work and live in different county so I rarely see any inmates when I am at home. However, drive does suck (2 hour each way).
Old 02-18-2014, 8:24 AM

When I worked in the Bay Area I used to run into "clients" on a regular basis. Never had any problems but some where not very comfortable encounters.
Old 02-18-2014, 8:35 AM

A few times for me, but it was nothing more than a smile and a nod. My wife was at the grocery store once, when she was pushing the cart away from the register, one employee says to the other, "Her husband arrested me for DUI". That started the conversation about getting her CCW....
Old 02-18-2014, 8:43 AM
Veteran Member

I grew up and lived in the same area that I worked (which has some very bad areas). I had contact all the time with people I had dealt with while working when I was off duty. I never had a problem with any of the crooks. Arresting guys I went to school with was interesting, but never had any problems. I always treated people like they treated me. Even the most hardcore criminals were given respect from me, as long as they showed me the same respect.

The best though, was an attorney I ran into. I was involved in a federal lawsuit (after a shooting) and the attorney on the other side was a ****ing lying scumbag. He had an office out of the area, and I assumed he lived there. I was walking through the local Lowes about a year after the case ended (we won) and ran into this guy. I gave him a look like I was going to beat his ***, and he literally turned around and walked as fast as he could away from me. Pretty funny.
Old 02-18-2014, 12:56 PM

I work in a custody setting so there are many who come through the doors. I also live in the same county I work. Last interaction was at the DMV, my wife was with me and I spotted the ex inmate. I walked away from my wife and stood alone. We had a quick encounter, he let me know he was out on bail for another gun charge. He was with his wife and child so it was a respectful encounter but I never like when that happens.

There is also those times when someone is staring daggers through me while I'm out and about, that bothers me the most.
Old 02-18-2014, 1:08 PM

There's a guy at the gym I did an involuntary hold on - thank the gods of small favors he's never recognized me.
Old 02-18-2014, 5:27 PM

I work in a jail, I run into people all the time on the street. Most just give me a polite nod which I return. A couple have said hi and make small talk about how they've changed.

The only negative experience I had was one recognize me and shadow me from the end of the aisles at a pharmacy once. Never made any threaten movements, seemed more curious than anything. He left and that was that.

Carry 24/7 and be polite until given a reason not to be.
Old 02-18-2014, 6:03 PM

It's never happened to me, but a co worker of mine while I was in the same store. I was 1 aisle over as the conversation happened. A lot of nothing in the end though.
Old 02-18-2014, 6:14 PM

It all comes down to respect....you'll always come across the 5150...but if you treat them with respect you'll get respect on yhe street....I was recognized coming out of the hospital with my 3yo and 1.5yo after my wife gave birth...he was a SHU inmate from my institution....he told me how he changed his life and had a job, etc....anyway...three weeks later guess who I saw in Cypress Hall?!?!? It's all about respect....
Old 02-18-2014, 6:20 PM

Default True Story

How you treat people goes a long way.

I was working and to send a guy to the drunk tank, we booked him at about 1am. I had treated him quite well. I was eating out with my Wife and young daughter and ran into him the very next day at about 2pm. He looked at me and just put his head down. I thought to myself, this is why I don't screw with people.

Triple
Old 02-18-2014, 8:05 PM
Calguns Addict

I run into several, but they seldom recognize me. I ask one once and they told me that I look completely different when I'm not wearing a uniform...not like a cop at all.

I was once talking to a career criminal and he told me that the way you can recognize a cop who isn't in uniform is they way they look at people. He said it was the same way that cons in the joint look at people...like you have a right to
Old 02-18-2014, 8:40 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

In not LEO but live in a smaller town and had a run in. We caught and had arrested a couple that I found breaking into my shop. Few months later our kids end up in the same class. Moved our son to another class and went on with life. Still they gave hardcore stares, spit on our parked cars and act like we did them wrong. It's a strange mentality but I'm just glad after a year or so they got tired of it.
Old 02-18-2014, 9:41 PM

I got the opposite. I worked a lot of security in the late 90's, and dealt with leos at my job a lot.
At that time, I was Clean cut and pretty fit. After I started a new job, I grew my hair out a bit and shaved when I felt like it, and gained a few pounds.
About two years went by and I stopped at a pizza joint one night for dinner. I walked in and a dozen PD/SO from my area that I worked were there. After about 5 minutes of constant staring and whispering amongst them, two deputies come over and start questioning me.

After I told them who I was and where I had worked, they all relaxed. Apparently they had wagers going on who I was since they were all very sure they each knew me, but not from where. My rough appearance had them all sure I was wanted as well.
Old 02-19-2014, 2:28 PM

About 10 years ago I was off-duty and shopping at Christmas time. Stopped at a Chinese restaurant to get some food and a lady says 'Hey, aren't you a cop?' With her was a rather large male friend. I figured, lie and you lose credibility, say yes and be prepared. So I say, 'Yeah, should I know you'. Before she gets a chance to respond the male goes, 'Yeah.. luckily you arrested her and straightened her 'butt' up!' I said, 'Thanks' and left. I thought it was going to go much differently. Probably helped that I didn't try to deny it.
Old 02-19-2014, 3:08 PM
Veteran Member

I'm a PO in a small county. I see people I've supervised or their families all the time. Last weekend the woman and I were furniture shopping and we saw 3 people from my previous casload in less than an hour. I also work out at the same gym as a guy I used to supervise. As you can imagine, I've never asked him to spot me, haha. I've only be approached by one offender in a grocery store but he was one of the guys actually trying to turn it around and he introduced me to his family and made polite small talk and that was it.

It's part of the job. I signed up for it, and I do my best to limit my exposure off duty. I don't "dress like a cop" meaning I don't wear LE related clothing and because of my assignment I'm actually allowed to wear a well-groomed beard so generally, people wouldn't single me out as an LEO unless they have dealt with me, and those people usually just want to be left alone.

I also carry consistantly, just in case.
Old 02-20-2014, 12:08 AM

I have seen a few subjects that I have arrested off duty, even in another city. I was packin as always, but the subject on two occasions never made eye contact with me but i saw them and made sure I didn't get spotted. Another time I saw one but same thing, he didn't see me, so I left the area as quick as I could to avoid any confrontation. Luckily i was solo, but My wife and I talk scenarios frequently and have action plans in the event we encounter one.
Old 02-20-2014, 12:26 AM

Why worry if you are a good officer and they knowingly broke the law why should they hate you?
Old 02-20-2014, 12:54 AM

I ran into a lady when furniture shopping that I pulled over and did field sobriety tests on (she wasnt drunk). She recognized me and said I was really polite and was the only cop she has ever interacted with.

I was in line at safeway at 0600 when I got off work the other week. I arrested the checkout guy for DUI a few days prior and the guy behind me was a parolee I gave a ticket to a week before that. Neither recognized me.

A friend of mine was confronted by a parolee when he was with his family while shopping. The parolee was angry and was reminded of his parole status. He walked on after some choice words.
Old 02-20-2014, 8:26 AM

I think we all have if you have done this long enough. My personal best was a few partners and myself decided to take a vacation in Cancun. Three of us walked out of the airport into Cancun after passing through their customs and were waiting for the rest of our party when I was approached by one who recognized me and approached me. It was quite eye opening to have flown 6 hours out of the country and run into him, here I was in his country and not even so much as a pair of nail clippers on me.
Everything went well, but we still laugh about it to this day and use it as a teaching point when talking point to our new guys and reasons for off duty carry.
Stay safe out there.
It protects the brother on my left.
It protects my city.
I will never let my brother out of its shadow, nor my city from its
shelter.
I will die with my shield before me, facing the enemy.
--Spartan Warrior Proverb
Old 02-20-2014, 8:28 AM
Veteran Member

I worked with a guy in the jail that had a hit put on him by the Mexican Mafia. He was a good guy, but had an encounter with a high ranking member of the gang. The FBI contacted him after some kites were intercepted in state prison talking about the hit. Lots of bad people out there that want to do members of LE harm.

Last edited by retired; 02-20-2014 at 9:42 AM..
Old 02-20-2014, 3:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1GunLover View Post
Why worry if you are a good officer and they knowingly broke the law why should they hate you?
You don't work the streets or jails, do you?
Old 02-20-2014, 4:11 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I was reading this for fun as I have never made an arrest on anyone; but it reminded me of the time I seen an officer in the bagel shop. She came in after me and was in line, I looked and knew instantly who it was. I said ďHi officer First and Last nameĒ. She looked up at me and instantly moved into the "Iím going to take you down if we have an issue" position. I quickly realized the mistake of not identifying how I knew her before I let her know I knew her by first and last name.

After I explained I was a juror on a trial where she made the arrest it took her about 5 more seconds to come back to normal. I seen her after that time, but I just wave from a distance now.