Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General gun discussions This is a place to lounge and discuss firearm related topics with other forum members.

Old 02-18-2014, 4:42 PM
Veteran Member

Default Sportsman Guide says they Can't Ship a AR Buffer Assembly to my Zip Code

I live in Northern CA. Apparently the Sportsman's Guide says they can't ship a buffer tube assembly to my zip code?

Am I missing something here? Have parts been banned in my county ( Solano ) or my city? ( Fairfield )
Old 02-18-2014, 4:55 PM

SG has always been hit or miss on what you can get from them. Seems they randomly choose what they will or will not send us cause there's no legal reason for most of what the refuse. No use in arguing with them either. You will just get the old "it's our policy" line.
Old 02-18-2014, 4:56 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ding126 View Post
I live in Northern CA. Apparently the Sportsman's Guide says they can't ship a buffer tube assembly to my zip code?

Am I missing something here? Yes; Customer Service and logic from Sportman's Guide.
Have parts been banned in my county ( Solano ) or my city? ( Fairfield ) No.

Don't waste your time with Sportsman's Guide. Between the fact that they now charge tax in CA, their shipping costs and fees are nothing special, and they won't ship even the most innocuous of firearm-related items to California out of some self prescribed appointment of banning items and parts, there is not a shred of logic to their hit-and-miss self-imposed bans. They need a whole page of their own design to meet the random bans they have devised for each and every state, often based on outdated information.

Not to mention that their customer service sucks balls.

There is more than one thread around here warning how UN-friendly they are when it comes to the 2nd Amendment no matter from WHAT state you are ordering; and NO, it's not about "legalities" alone, as they have received their fair share of data and documentation of what is and is not legal in California from numerous Calguns members - which goes ignored, so they come up with their own BS concerning California's municipalities counties, concerning parts, ammo, and half the other useless crap that they DO sell here.

Look around the internet; you'll likely find the same parts somewhere else, without the tax-rape, inflated shipping charges, and erroneous BS that comes along with ordering from Sportsman's Guide - even if you COULD order from them!!
What compelling interest has any level of government in knowing what guns are owned by civilians? (Those owned by government should be inventoried and tracked, for exactly the same reasons computers and desks and chairs are tracked: responsible care of public property.)

If some level of government had that information, what would they do with it? How would having that info benefit public safety? How would it benefit law enforcement?
Old 02-18-2014, 5:07 PM
Super Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

SG got flakey when Gary Olen sold to Redcats, a French-owned firm. Redcats sold it to Northern Tool in 2012.

Seems to be same stuff, different day from the new ownership.

Feel free to tell Northern about your concerns. Don't expect any change until they figure out their policies are costing them real money greater than the amount they imagine they might lose selling into CA.

Took me a couple of years to finally get off their mailing list.

Unless there is some way to amend a bill so you would support it,
the details do not matter until the Governor signs or allows the bill to become law.

Ask CA law questions in the How CA Laws Apply to/Affect Me Forum
- most questions that start 'Is it legal ...' go there.

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Old 02-18-2014, 5:10 PM
Calguns Addict

I wonder if Sportsman's Guide employees are somehow related to the idiots over at Cheaper than dirt?

Dumb and dumber.

Neither company will get any orders from me.

Life Is Not About Waiting For The Storm To Pass - Its About Learning To Dance In The Rain.

Fewer people are killed with all rifles each year (323 in 2011) than with shotguns (356), hammers and clubs (496), and hands and feet (728).
Old 02-18-2014, 6:18 PM
Veteran Member

Yea they suck.
Old 02-18-2014, 7:36 PM

I quit looking at their catalogs after they refused to send an AR15 Brass Catcher back around 2000. Their catalogs go straight into the compost pile.

Come out and SHOOT with us!
http://www.lineadefuego.info/matches
Old 02-18-2014, 7:50 PM

I order all my AR parts from Brownells, Midway, And BCM. I just put in an order with BCM last night. Parts are already shipped by this afternoon. No BS nanny crap, just professionals that send you what you pay for.
Old 02-18-2014, 7:56 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Had no issue ordering x39 and 357 from them about a year and a half ago to OC. Sucks to hear they won't ship. I know they usually refuse to all of LA.

What's Your Caliber??

My Youtube channel
Old 02-18-2014, 8:26 PM
Calguns Addict

I only use them for ammo when I can't find it anywhere else. They refuse to send pellet guns here and anything possibly related to what they considered banned. Hell they won't even ship a barrel wrench for an AR to CA.

NRA MEMBER

Originally Posted by ar15barrels
Unscrew the lid. There is a foil seal there.
Pull the seal off and screw the lid back on.
Then you can squeeze the mustard and it will come out of the bottle..

Liberals are termites eating at the foundation of our constitution.
Michael Reagan
Old 02-18-2014, 8:37 PM
Veteran Member

Don't feel to bad I tried to buy a DPMS Panther Claw tonight along with a delrin punch and could not buy either due to it being a restricted assault weapon part, yet they would allow me to buy an AR wrench.

So I decided to call them and got the typical spew about how it is against the law in California to own these items so when I told her she was incorrect and it was merely the corporate office not knowing it's *** from a hole in the ground she didn't seem to appreciate me.
When asked why I can buy one tool but not another she again replied with it is California law and whenever I tried to explain that it is not a law here and asked again why I could buy one tool and not the other she went back to her screen reading claiming it was illegal in California.

I then went to Midway and gave them my money.
Old 02-18-2014, 8:38 PM

Alec.....I'll take Nobody shops at sportsman guide because they absolutely suck for -$100 please.
Old 02-18-2014, 8:41 PM

OP don't worry. There are plenty of online vendors who will gladly do business with you.
Old 02-18-2014, 8:43 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97F1504RAD View Post
Don't feel to bad I tried to buy a DPMS Panther Claw tonight along with a delrin punch and could not buy either due to it being a restricted assault weapon part, yet they would allow me to buy an AR wrench.

So I decided to call them and got the typical spew about how it is against the law in California to own these items so when I told her she was incorrect and it was merely the corporate office not knowing it's *** from a hole in the ground she didn't seem to appreciate me.
When asked why I can buy one tool but not another she again replied with it is California law and whenever I tried to explain that it is not a law here and asked again why I could buy one tool and not the other she went back to her screen reading claiming it was illegal in California.

Well of course a phone rep wasn't going to do anything for you. If for some reason she had overridden whatever idiot in charge's decision it was to not ship those items(if she even could), that would likely get her fired(ignoring company lawyers isn't generally a good thing for the peasant types in a company). She also likely had zero authority to admit why the decision was made, as she was probably told to read a script. A better(although in this case unlikely to matter) approach would have been to write SG directly and try to get in contact with someone in management of their sales or marketing teams, and attempt to convince them to have a chat with whatever legal genius made the decision in the first place.

SG may not be some 5,000 employee enterprise, but they're not some tiny business where you might get a person actually capable of making such decisions on the phone.
Old 02-18-2014, 9:06 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc1138 View Post
Well of course a phone rep wasn't going to do anything for you. If for some reason she had overridden whatever idiot in charge's decision it was to not ship those items(if she even could), that would likely get her fired(ignoring company lawyers isn't generally a good thing for the peasant types in a company). She also likely had zero authority to admit why the decision was made, as she was probably told to read a script. A better(although in this case unlikely to matter) approach would have been to write SG directly and try to get in contact with someone in management of their sales or marketing teams, and attempt to convince them to have a chat with whatever legal genius made the decision in the first place.

SG may not be some 5,000 employee enterprise, but they're not some tiny business where you might get a person actually capable of making such decisions on the phone.
I am in the middle of typing out a letter that I plan on mailing to them instead of emailing maybe lthis way it goes directly to headquarters. Not that it will do any good but hey what the heck. Takes a few minutes of my time and an envelope and stamp.
Old 02-18-2014, 9:32 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime

Looking for this?
http://www.goldenstatetactical.com/M...milspeckit.htm or this http://www.goldenstatetactical.com/T...inzar09106.htm

Golden State Tactical <---click here or Here--->Golden State Tactical Store

An Outpost Deep In the Heart of the Beast! Home of "California Compliant" AR15 Parts and Magazines and some of the lowest priced guns in the state!!!
Old 02-18-2014, 9:46 PM
Calguns Addict

OP, You'll be able to find the tube somewhere. I was told by Cabelas today they stopped transferring firearms out of state after sandyhook. May be old news to some, new to me.
Old 02-18-2014, 9:51 PM

My SG and CTD catalogs go right from my mailbox, straight to the outside bin. Wont even bother to open them.

"Every gun makes it's own tune." - Blondie
Old 02-18-2014, 10:00 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97F1504RAD View Post
If you think it worth the effort, send SG a copy of your Midway receipt - "See, you could have had this, but you left money on the table." If they're ever going to change, they need reason$ ...

Unless there is some way to amend a bill so you would support it,
the details do not matter until the Governor signs or allows the bill to become law.

Ask CA law questions in the How CA Laws Apply to/Affect Me Forum
- most questions that start 'Is it legal ...' go there.

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Old 02-19-2014, 6:28 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarian View Post
If you think it worth the effort, send SG a copy of your Midway receipt - "See, you could have had this, but you left money on the table." If they're ever going to change, they need reason$ ...
Good idea

Letter with copy of Midway Receipt going out in today's mail.

Last edited by 97F1504RAD; 02-19-2014 at 7:02 AM..
Old 02-19-2014, 7:37 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Please let us know if you get a response.
Old 02-19-2014, 7:56 AM

Isn't that "the shoulder thing that goes up"? no wonder they won't ship it.
Old 02-19-2014, 11:39 AM

I tried to order a Colt brand knife (just a folder with "Colt AR15" lasered on it) from them in 1994 and they rejected the order stating restricted shipping to CA.
That's how stupid they are.

"Let them hate so long as they fear."
Old 02-19-2014, 11:50 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Considering how long SG has had their crappy policies regarding CA, I seriously doubt a letter is going to accomplish anything. But it would certainly be more productive(in the sense that even 0.0000000001 is more than 0) than bickering with the people on the 1-800 line or whatever.
Old 02-19-2014, 12:27 PM
Veteran Member

Yea I seriously doubt it will accomplish anything but what the hell, maybe if more of us did I it we might get something done. Doubtful but you never know till you try. Took about ten minutes of my time and the cost of an envelope and stamp.
Old 02-19-2014, 12:31 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime

What, another vendor that won't ship perfectly legal gun parts to California?

Two words: Exile Machine.
As of March 3 2016, Exile Machine has discontinued vendor/retailer status with Calguns.net and we are no longer providing support or product updates via this site. All queries should be directed through our website at this link:

https://www.exilemachine.net/shop/contact-us.html
Old 02-19-2014, 12:34 PM
My reality show sucks.

Location: He only said, "2, lead you're on fire and save the fat one for me"

Quote:
Originally Posted by dg29 View Post
Alec.....I'll take Nobody shops at sportsman guide because they absolutely suck for -$100 please.
And that's todays Daily Double.

SG and CTD are the suck.

It’s actually kind of beautiful that in America a large group of people known for owning guns are only feared because they vote.

Originally Posted by Lonestargrizzly
Is the lapdance from a donkey? Cuz that's worth it.
Old 02-19-2014, 12:47 PM

I signed up for their buyers club to get a discount on a purchase, and then every time after that whenever I went to purchase something, they wouldn't ship it to me. I asked them to stop mailing me catalogs.
Old 02-19-2014, 1:11 PM
Veteran Member

Maybe try CTD, OP.

Again, maybe we can have a sticky?
Old 02-19-2014, 1:16 PM

I stopped buying from Sportsman Guide several years ago when they refused to ship an ammunition purchase to me; ever after I proved to them it was completely legal.
I encourage everyone here on Cal Guns to not give them any business. Pleanty of other quality mail order firms.

Last edited by 003; 02-19-2014 at 1:23 PM..
Old 02-19-2014, 1:20 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Maybe someone should send them the link to this thread.
Old 02-19-2014, 1:34 PM

Don't waste your time with them about the only thing they will sell to Calif is used clothes. I do love their Catalog I use it to line the cats litter box. He gets to do what I'd like to do to them.
Old 02-19-2014, 4:35 PM

Midway and Brownells are always happy to take my money when I order AK/AR parts.

SG might have still been good for camo clothing if their shipping wasn't so usurious.

“When you want to kill a man, you must shoot for the heart and the Winchester is the best weapon."
-Ramon, A Fistful of Dollars

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKinzey
The chuckleheaded tinfoil-asshatter racist (yes! that's a couple of names and a label!)
Old 02-19-2014, 5:18 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Sportsman Guide, Big 5, Dick's and Sports Authority suck... never.
Old 02-19-2014, 6:14 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheExiled View Post
Maybe try CTD, OP.

Again, maybe we can have a sticky?
Don't ever buy from CTD!

Basically a anti 2A, 2A gun site. Your funding anti ideals with every purchase.

What's Your Caliber??

My Youtube channel
Old 02-25-2014, 11:10 AM
Veteran Member

Just a quick update apparently while I was out of the house today someone From SG customer service called to speak with me regarding my letter and copy of Midway receipt, not sure what he wants but the last thing I want to hear is more of their BS about their lawyers telling them it's illegal. I will update again if they call back.
Old 12-23-2014, 9:04 AM

Tried to get buffer tubes at SG. Still the same...cannot ship to my zip. I thought I try since this thread started years ago hoping things would have changed at SG. Will look elsewhere.
Old 12-23-2014, 9:43 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

And yet, I recently ordered a Stealth Arms 80% AR receiver and jig set (http://www.sportsmansguide.com/produ...-kit?a=1681932) and it came without any problem. I really expected the order to be cancelled.

T
"A free people ought not only to be armed but disciplined; to which end a uniform and well digested plan is requisite: And their safety and interest require, that they should promote such manufactories, as tend to render them independent on others for essential, particularly for military supplies." - George Washington, 1790
Old 12-23-2014, 10:03 AM
Calguns Addict

Every time a thread like this come up I say "Blame Kalifornia" cause they made it this way. Not the vender that does not want to jump through there hoops. Its always, ALWAY California's fault.

WTB XDm .40. If you are within a hour of San Diego and what to sell then send an I'M please. I'm on the market for it!
Old 12-23-2014, 10:31 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Palmetto gets most of my money. And the good traders on this site.

"My pimpin' is on the loose! All the freak has to do is latch on like the caboose." Mr. Whitefolks

Buy 'em cheap, stack 'em deep!!

"That brotha wanted the honey, all we wants is da money!!!" Pretty Tony.