Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Range Cleanups
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

CGSSA Range Cleanups Schedule dates and time to clean up outdoor ranges. If we don't who will?

Old 10-27-2012, 3:19 PM

Default Berdoo Canyon

Hi all.

Not sure how this all works but I figured I would start things off. I was out at Berdoo Canyon on the opening day of Quail season, located just outside Indio, and I was shocked at the mess out there. More trash and shotgun shells than I could even tell you.

If you have ever been out to Berdoo you know it is a great range with lots of room for a ton of people to shoot anything from pistols to rifles, even out to 500 yards. Berdoo sits on BLM land and is one of the last places left in area available to shoot.

My suggestion is to organize a clean up day to take care of the canyon. I would like to separate all the waste as well so we can ensure they brass is recovered and the shotgun shells can be recycled if possible. All brass recovered will be sold and the proceeds donated to a charity to be determined later. In the end I just want the place to get clean and I am willing to put the work in to organize the whole thing. The goal would be to get it done before the New Year.

Who's in?
Old 10-27-2012, 3:58 PM

Im in, best day for me is Fridays but Saturday will work but I will have to leave by 3pm.
Old 10-28-2012, 8:40 AM

I can help out after 11/11 if that fits your plans....
Old 10-28-2012, 7:16 PM
Superfluous
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

I'm in and can bring a truck. And probably some warm body's.

There was a cleanup there 4 or 5 months ago. Yet it still needs all kinds of help.

Lotsa Rakes would be a bonus for the shotgun shells.
I am willing to bring some food as well. Whatever helps.

Timing is a bit of an issue for me. November works.

I am PMing you my cell.

T
Old 11-01-2012, 9:23 PM

Great, we have some interest. I was thinking after Thanksgiving. I want to contact BLM and have them close the range for the day and arrange for them to haul off the bag to the dump for us. If not we can figure something out.

Does after Thanksgiving sound good to everyone?
Old 11-02-2012, 7:08 AM

where is berdoo canyon?
Old 11-02-2012, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawslinger View Post
Hi all.

Not sure how this all works but I figured I would start things off. I was out at Berdoo Canyon on the opening day of Quail season, located just outside Indio, and I was shocked at the mess out there. More trash and shotgun shells than I could even tell you.

If you have ever been out to Berdoo you know it is a great range with lots of room for a ton of people to shoot anything from pistols to rifles, even out to 500 yards. Berdoo sits on BLM land and is one of the last places left in area available to shoot.

My suggestion is to organize a clean up day to take care of the canyon. I would like to separate all the waste as well so we can ensure they brass is recovered and the shotgun shells can be recycled if possible. All brass recovered will be sold and the proceeds donated to a charity to be determined later. In the end I just want the place to get clean and I am willing to put the work in to organize the whole thing. The goal would be to get it done before the New Year.

Who's in?
If you guys can nail down a date, I will try to do a shift swap or get the day off to help. Unfortunately, I have Wed/Thurs off during November. During December, I will have Fri/Sat off, but I will be unavailable during the last two weeks of December.

I don't own a truck anymore, but I have a few shovels, a rake, and some gloves.

"If you expect logic associated with California law, it will only make your head hurt.." - Ron-Solo, 2013
Old 11-10-2012, 2:12 PM

I'm in
Old 11-10-2012, 2:14 PM
Bacon makes it better
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by micks75scamp View Post
where is berdoo canyon?
Riverside County
Old 11-13-2012, 2:47 PM

I will be going out there on Tuesday. Clean up and shoot a little.
Old 12-28-2012, 9:41 PM

I am willing to help clean up this place as well. I am off work every other weekend so let me know if there are still any plans for a cleanup.
Old 03-04-2013, 4:20 PM

I live in the Indio area and go to Berdoo Canyon for shooting. I have been bringing a couple rakes to clean large areas to ease the collection of spent brass, but might as well bring some trash bags from now on to do some cleaning while I'm out there.

Last edited by thegreasepit; 03-07-2013 at 1:42 PM..
Old 07-23-2013, 6:36 AM

There hasn't been a lot of discussion regarding a cleanup of Berdoo Canyon, so I thought this might help motivate some people who shoot, or plan on shooting there in the future.

Last weekend I did some target practice and brought my camera along to show you how severe the neglect of this land is. This is one of only a few designated shooting spots provided by the BLM and I'd hate to see it closed.

One of the well used parts of the Canyon...

The amount of spent shot shells is incalculable

Tagging, busted pallets, used targets, more spent shot shells

Tires, milk crates, more wood targets/pallets

This is only 1 section of the land. There are several other well worn spots that are identical. There's so much **** that it's difficult to know where to start cleaning!
Old 07-25-2013, 8:41 PM

Quote:
"This is only 1 section of the land. There are several other well worn spots that are identical. There's so much **** that it's difficult to know where to start cleaning!"

I went out 2 Sundays ago and there was a dead calf in the wash ( and a 1000 flies ). Not sure if someone dropped it off or how it got there.
I usually take a couple of large bags of trash out each time I use this place but it seems for every 2 bags I take out somebody is dumping 4 bags.

Greasepit, we should make a plan to meet out there one of these days for some target practice, planning to go this Sunday morning.
Old 07-25-2013, 8:49 PM

Did the cleanup happen yet? I'm in if it's still on.
Old 07-26-2013, 7:02 AM

Last edited by thegreasepit; 07-26-2013 at 11:02 AM..
Old 07-26-2013, 7:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakkals View Post
Quote: I went out 2 Sundays ago and there was a dead calf in the wash ( and a 1000 flies ). Not sure if someone dropped it off or how it got there.
I usually take a couple of large bags of trash out each time I use this place but it seems for every 2 bags I take out somebody is dumping 4 bags.
Greasepit, we should make a plan to meet out there one of these days for some target practice, planning to go this Sunday morning.
There was TWO dead calfs the last time I walked the wash. The smell was awful.
Are you located in the CV?

Quote:
Originally Posted by homechicken View Post
Did the cleanup happen yet? I'm in if it's still on.
I don't think a clean-up has happened yet. I posted some photos to create awareness and hopefull encourage some shooters to do some picking up while they're at the canyon.
It's summertime too, with a fair share of humidity now. Not a whole lot of people would be willing to commit to such laborious tasks this part of the season.
Old 07-26-2013, 7:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreasepit View Post
There was TWO dead calfs the last time I walked the wash. The smell was awful.
Are you located in the CV?

Live in La Quinta

I don't think a clean-up has happened yet. I posted some photos to create awareness and hopefull encourage some shooters to do some picking up while they're at the canyon.
It's summertime too, with a fair share of humidity now. Not a whole lot of people would be willing to commit to such laborious tasks this part of the season.
Probably better to plan a cleanup for September, October. Gives us time to arrange for a dumpster maybe, and coordinate with BLM as well.
Old 07-26-2013, 7:48 AM

i'd be in for this. i'm in SD, but my folks live out there so i shoot there when visiting them. i have a truck and may even be able to bring a 4'x8' flat utility trailer.
please keep me in the loop guys.
AR's have finally become full blown "men's barbie dolls" now with fashion accessories.
Old 10-10-2013, 12:26 PM

Id be in for this, i was there not long ago (August i think ). really cool place to shoot.
Old 10-10-2013, 12:36 PM

I would be in for this. Maybe we should check craigslist - or have everyone ask around amongst friends/family and see if we can get ahold of a small dump truck/stake bed/box truck to load up?
Old 12-05-2013, 9:28 AM

Wow what a shame I'm originally from Palm Springs and didn't know there was even a place to legally shoot outside of a range. In January, I've got a few days off so might head down to check it out and clean a little bit up. Can't fit much in my little hatch but every little bit will help.
Old 01-11-2014, 9:39 AM

I was out to Berdoo canyon yesterday 1-10-14 what a mess, has anymore progress been made to get a time to do a clean up and maybe get a BIG dumpster out there, Me and my shooting buddies would be in for it for a Friday/Saturday.
Old 02-17-2014, 1:52 PM

I've lived in the Coachella Valley my whole life and grew up shooting out there and still do. I'm in for going out there and doing what we can to clean up a bit. I don't have a trailer but I've got a Jeep with a winch for some of the big stuff if need be. I'm sure I could get some of the guys I go shooting with to help out as well. I'll watch this thread to see what happens since my schedule is relatively open as on now.
Old 02-17-2014, 6:24 PM

Was just there earlier today with my Fiance and little brother to shoot for the first time. Boy the pictures don't do it justice the whole place was covered in shot shells. Picked up what trash could fit in the back of our hatch but will definitely head out if there is a clean up being planned. Just need a heads up

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk