Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns LEOs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns LEOs LEOs; chat, kibitz and relax. Non-LEOs; have a questions for a cop? Ask it here, in a CIVIL manner.

Old 02-04-2014, 8:27 PM

Default Background questions for LEOs familiar with SFPD's hiring polices

Hello all, I'm applying for a recruit position with San Francisco PD and still pretty early on in the hiring process. I've just taken the physical agility test and passed. Next will be the interview / submitting my PHS. I have some questions regarding SFPD's background disqualifiers. I've read all the material provided to me by SFPD and have searched online, but have not found any detailed or specific info. If anyone is willing to PM me to go over / discuss my issues, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance, Brandon
Old 02-05-2014, 10:26 AM

Why not call their background unit directly? I don't think SFPD publishes their dq criteria openly.
Old 02-05-2014, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP911 View Post
Why not call their background unit directly? I don't think SFPD publishes their dq criteria openly.
I'll give it a shot. I've called other agencies and have been told they cannot share that info with the public. Or I've been told that my background is not bad at all and to apply, to later drive 450 miles one way, to be told that something in my background is an automatic disqualifier. That bad news is usually followed by " Keep applying, other agencies are not as strict, you'll get hired. your background isn't actually that bad".
Old 02-05-2014, 1:42 PM

I'm curious as to what kind of issues would DQ someone from a position but not DQ them from owning a firearm. Just in general and not specifically about the OP.
Old 02-05-2014, 2:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraySquirrel View Post
I'm curious as to what kind of issues would DQ someone from a position but not DQ them from owning a firearm. Just in general and not specifically about the OP.
This is not specific to my situation, but I will try to answer.
Credit history, driving record, drug use, any arrest record, unstable employment history. It can very quite a bit department to department. As I'm the one that originally answered the question, I'm clearly not an expert. This is just what I've been told by other applicants and background investigators.
Old 02-05-2014, 2:57 PM

OP. I don't know SFPD's disqualifiers but I would presume that they are similar to most other depts with honesty being number 1. Just be honest, truthful and complete and if they still disqualify you, then move on to another dept. not trying to be rude or anything, but if they want to DQ you, then they will find a way. And you also hit the nail on the head in your last post.
Old 02-05-2014, 3:01 PM
Banned

I don't know about credit history. I spoke to a buddy of mine and he has the worst credit ever, like 500 and he was hired.
Old 02-07-2014, 2:02 AM

Usually how much debt you have, collection accounts, delinquent accounts, etc.

If something was discovered by backgrounds that wasn't disclosed by the applicant, that's a DQ. L
Old 02-07-2014, 2:03 AM

So just be honest a straight forward.
Old 02-14-2014, 12:09 PM

Location: I live in the east bay of the republic of kalifornikazicommie-nia nation

And don't leave anything out, intentionally or not. It is usually an auto dq. Make sure your phq is 102% complete and accurate. Including job history, residence, ect...

You're better of with a $400 .308 unless you plan on taking out taliban from 2000 yards away haha
Old 02-17-2014, 5:51 PM

If you would like more info pm me. Most agencies are looking for people that are honest, mature, and people that make sound decisions. Depending on the type of drug use and the last time used can disqualify you. Some agencies are more lenient than others in regard to drug use. Any theft related history, lying or perjury will also dq a person.
Old 03-25-2014, 5:25 PM

Any updates OP? Hope it's going well for you.
Old 03-25-2014, 5:41 PM

Hello, thank you for asking greysquirrel. Not much has changed, still a waiting game. I do have an oral board interview on the 30th. After that I should have to submit my background questionnaire (PHQ) then wait once again to see if I make the cut. I applied in November 2013 and it has taken this long to get to this step.
Old 03-25-2014, 5:43 PM

It has moved faster than I expected for a department like San Francisco.
Old 12-24-2014, 12:33 PM

How was the oral board. I assume you went through the PHQ? Keep us updated and good luck.
Old 12-24-2014, 1:21 PM

Quote:
How was the oral board. I assume you went through the PHQ? Keep us updated and good luck.
Hello, and thank you for your interest.
Oral board went great, was ranked 8 and invited to the group general meeting with background investigators. Based off information I provided SFPD regarding drug use (smoked marijuana at party in 2008), I was disqualified from the hiring process. That issue was specified in my disqualification letter. Letter did state that I can re-apply at a later date with no specific timeframe given.
I must admit, I was pretty bummed out about it. I understand my actions carry consequences. I will continue to hold myself to a high ethical standard with the intention of re-applying at a later date.
Old 12-26-2014, 3:43 PM

Wow, sorry to hear that. Was it an automatic disqualification or something that might be overlooked over time.
Old 12-26-2014, 4:07 PM
Super Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

First, sorry to hear about the DQ and considering that six years has elapsed and a one time use at a party, that is surprising. Your age, which you don't mention, might be a factor tho. If you were 16 when you smoked it at the party, that is one thing and one might think they would chalk it up to being a teenager. If you were in your 20s, they might have considered that a lack of judgement and immaturity.

Continue to apply for other depts., not all have that restrictive of a policy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyalskn View Post
And don't leave anything out, intentionally or not. It is usually an auto dq. Make sure your phq is 102% complete and accurate. Including job history, residence, ect...
With respect, I don't how you know that, but back in 1976, my BI asked me if I had applied at any other agencies besides the ones listed and I said no. He then asked about two I hadn't listed. Those were the first two of ten that I had applied for and they had been done three years earlier. I wasn't DQ'd and spent 27yrs. with the dept., so I don't think it is usually an auto dq., tho I do agree you should ensure your phi is correct.
Old 12-26-2014, 4:08 PM

Quote:
Wow, sorry to hear that. Was it an automatic disqualification or something that might be overlooked over time.
I was told to just give it time and re-apply. They've tightened up their acceptance policy.
Old 12-26-2014, 4:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retired View Post
First, sorry to hear about the DQ and considering that six years has elapsed and a one time use at a party, that is surprising. Your age, which you don't mention, might be a factor tho. If you were 16 when you smoked it at the party, that is one thing and one might think they would chalk it up to being a teenager. If you were in your 20s, they might have considered that a lack of judgement and immaturity.

Continue to apply for other depts., not all have that restrictive of a policy.

With respect, I don't how you know that, but back in 1976, my BI asked me if I had applied at any other agencies besides the ones listed and I said no. He then asked about two I hadn't listed. Those were the first two of ten that I had applied for and they had been done three years earlier. I wasn't DQ'd and spent 27yrs. with the dept., so I don't think it is usually an auto dq., tho I do agree you should ensure your phi is correct.
I'm currently 28 years old. So yes, I could see their point of view. My wife and I had just gotten married earlier that week and the party was at my Inlaw's house. We were staying the weekend, and I drank way too much. It was a lapse in judgement. No one to blame but myself.

Last edited by misplacedpants; 12-26-2014 at 4:15 PM.. Reason: Addition info
Old 12-26-2014, 4:16 PM

For the record, I'm not saying it was excusable. Just providing context for information purposes.
Old 12-26-2014, 4:39 PM
Super Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by misplacedpants View Post
For the record, I'm not saying it was excusable. Just providing context for information purposes.
Never thought that, just postulating as to what their reasoning may have been to give you some idea as to why they may have DQ'd you. Just keep on applying and hopefully you will one day be rewarded for your efforts.
Old 12-26-2014, 4:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retired View Post
Never thought that, just postulating as to what their reasoning may have been. Just keep on applying and hopefully you will one day be rewarded for your efforts.
Thank you
Old 01-21-2015, 10:54 PM

Give it time. If SF still doesn't take you maybe try another agencies if this is what you really want to do. Good luck OP