Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Ammo and Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ammo and Reloading Factory Ammunition, Reloading, Components, Load Data and more.

Old 01-31-2014, 4:50 PM
Calguns Addict

Location: Currently in a shanty I made in the river bottom by Eastvale.
Default Who uses the CTS trimmer for .223- Is this a bad thing? (graphic photos)

SO I started trimming my coffee can of brass today. It was taking about 10-15 seconds per shell according to my watch.

SO I read that the instructions said to find a comfortable speed around 1k-1.5k RPM and I opened the top of my drill press and I found that I was only going at 620RPM. SO I have a 5 speed so I bumped it up to 1740 RPM or whatever and then started doing it again. It then took about 2-3 seconds to do each shell.
But I noticed that they came out looking like the photos. Is this anything to be worried about? THEY DO NOT FEEL SCRATCHED, but I am thinking that maybe it was from still having a light layer of lube on them (if you can call it that) and maybe just rubbing up against the nylon bushing. A few of them squealed but most of them were fine and once they stopped making noise I pulled them out. So are these still fine? Maybe dumping them all in the tumbler again afterwards will make them all fine again?

Need GOOD SS pins to clean your brass? Try the new and improved model...

Author of the NY Times Best Selling book: How to Cheat and Win Like a Pro at Solitaire

Last edited by stilly; 01-31-2014 at 5:14 PM..
Old 01-31-2014, 6:05 PM

Someone else is going to have to answer whether you can use the brass, but I'm working on motorizing my CTS trimmer. I emailed them and they told me not to use a motor faster than 1050 RPM.

I hope this helps.
Old 01-31-2014, 6:33 PM

looks fine to me just chanfer and de-burr them. the scratches on the body shouldnt matter

" Americans have the right and advantages of being armed, unlike the citizens of other countries who's governments are afraid to trust the people with arms" - James Madison
Old 01-31-2014, 6:42 PM

Default Who uses the CTS trimmer for .223- Is this a bad thing? (graphic photos)

Looks good to me, cant feel it, no problemo.
Old 01-31-2014, 6:52 PM

You're spinning your trimmer way too fast. Slow down the rpm to around 1100-1200 or as close as you can get to that with your drill press pulleys. It looks to me that the cases are grabbing and spinning in the cutter hence the marking on the case shoulders and body. That also could be caused by you pushing them too hard into the cutter. Apply light pressure and let the end mill do its job, slow down and take a breath, it's not a speed contest, you need to be patient, in reading most of your posts I get one theme and that is that you have very little patience and everything is such a rush to get it done the fastest possible way. Take a chill pill my friend and slow it down a few lousy seconds per case you will get better results for the effort.....
Old 01-31-2014, 8:42 PM
Calguns Addict

Location: Currently in a shanty I made in the river bottom by Eastvale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeWagon View Post
You're spinning your trimmer way too fast. Slow down the rpm to around 1100-1200 or as close as you can get to that with your drill press pulleys. It looks to me that the cases are grabbing and spinning in the cutter hence the marking on the case shoulders and body. That also could be caused by you pushing them too hard into the cutter. Apply light pressure and let the end mill do its job, slow down and take a breath, it's not a speed contest, you need to be patient, in reading most of your posts I get one theme and that is that you have very little patience and everything is such a rush to get it done the fastest possible way. Take a chill pill my friend and slow it down a few lousy seconds per case you will get better results for the effort.....
I was under the impression that my speed of 1750 might be bad, but I did not recall the instructions stating that it MUST not be over 1500, so I left it alone. I will drop the speed down to the 1100 mark. I only have 5 speeds so I guess taking it up to 3000 is prolly a bad idea. Okay I will drop it down one. I DID think about whether or not I was pushing too hard and I did ease up, but things still look about the same. I was trying to get into a rhythm and keep the rate at around 3 seconds each. No comment on the patience
Thanks guys, I was not sure what they were supposed to lok like but when I did them at Big Bronco's they did not look like this. I figured that it was just the nylon rubbing on the shells but it bothered me until I got feedback from others. Back out I go...

Thanks again.

Need GOOD SS pins to clean your brass? Try the new and improved model...

Author of the NY Times Best Selling book: How to Cheat and Win Like a Pro at Solitaire

Last edited by stilly; 01-31-2014 at 8:46 PM..
Old 01-31-2014, 10:04 PM

It's a crap process touching each brass. I have a CTS in 233 and 308 and feel I get a better cut using a drill horizontally than a drill press. Also, if the brass ate clean of lube that help and prevents the squeaking.
Old 02-02-2014, 2:54 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Should be fine. Just chamfer/deburr them.

http://www.alliedbrassprocessing.com/
Professional Brass Processing Service of your 223/5.56, 300 AAC Blackout and 9MM brass at an affordable price
PM me about local dropoff and pickups
Old 02-02-2014, 5:19 AM

I use that trimmer. Your cases are fine...they're just getting burnished by the insert of the trimmer while it spins. I've loaded and shot around 5k rounds after using that trimmer and they work just fine.

Last edited by CalTeacher; 02-02-2014 at 5:32 AM..