Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Northern California Chapters > Sacramento Chapter
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-05-2013, 9:23 PM

Default ccw hopes?

I am interested in getting CCW permit, I live in El Dorado county But I have a problem. About 6 years ago when I was 18 I was arrested for "obstructing a peace officer" the case was dismissed if I agreed to do 40 hours of community service and 12 hours of an anger course. I completed the requirements and it was dismissed. Does this blemish on my record destroy any hopes of a permit? I looked into expunging it but from what i read CA sees expungement and dismissal as the same thing??
Any info would be greatly appriciated!
Old 12-05-2013, 9:27 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAMO556 View Post
Voting for Donald Trump is the protest vote against: Keynesian economics, Neocon wars, exporting jobs, open borders, Washington criminal cartel, too big to fail banks and too big to jail pols and banksters.

Cutting off foreign aid to EVERY country and dismantling the police/surveillance state!

Umm yeah!!!!!
Old 12-06-2013, 4:19 PM

It definitely isn't going to help. I know the Sheriff up there is very pro ccw but you might want to wait a few more years.
Old 12-06-2013, 4:34 PM

I would call and ask for an appointment with the sheriff himself. Make sure you tell the secretary it is for a 15 minute time slot. Look him in the eye explain what you did how the circumstances played out and you don't want a denial on your record. Look him in the eye and ask if he would consider giving you a second chance by issuing a CCW.

Just a thought and good luck.

Bill
Old 12-07-2013, 2:33 PM

Thanks for the ideas to all.
Old 12-15-2013, 11:22 AM

Just do it. It was 6 years ago. If your record is clean since then you should be fine. You need to show good moral character....if you think you have that then be confident and good luck
Old 12-15-2013, 8:38 PM

Call the records department and ask how to get a copy of your record. Then when you have that ask the question to the records person. Then if they dont know, do as Mano suggested.
Old 12-19-2013, 2:22 PM

Get a live scan at the sheriff's department, your record should be clean. You must state a reason why you want a CCW, not just because I want one.
Hope this helps.
Respectfully,
Jerry Kazee
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
CA DOJ Certified Handgun Safety Instructor
Old 12-22-2013, 9:59 AM

Calling the records department isn't going to show everything, IMHO, but it is a good start. I know as this occurred with folks I know where the police have been involved, to the point there a RO was even issued. But this was years ago (10+), and now said folk has been checking on background, etc., and everything comes up officially clean. But how much you want to bet they still have record of all that activity involving said folk? Should said folk disclose on CCW form? I'd think so, and then explain everything they've done since to rectify (stayed away from RO'd person even after RO was expired, went to AM classes, no future problems, etc.). Just because there were no formal charges, or it was dismissed, doesn't mean there isn't a record of it. Better to just get it all out there. Worst case they deny, and you try again in 2 years.
Old 01-21-2014, 10:39 PM

6 years is a long time. Was there any physical violence demonstrated on your part at the time of arrest? Or were you just being a pain and the Officers arrested you as a proactive measure to prevent any trouble after they left? If you have been a good, productive citizen and have a job that should go a long way in demonstration your character now. Most Sheriff's departments utilize a CAD system and records should be able to pull up the incident so answer the questions on the Standard CCW application truthfully and don't try to diminish what you did. Take responsibly for your actions and show the Sheriff you are a responsible citizen. If I were you I would go for it and not wait any longer.
Old 01-21-2014, 11:08 PM

You were 18. Hopefully D'Agostini runs for president. I'd give it a try.
Old 02-10-2014, 2:54 AM

Go for it. I'd call Adam Richards http://www.rwslaw.com/practice-areas/Firearms-Law/ and get a little legal advice on this issue to be better prepared. Adam will probably take your call personally and you might get your answer for free on the phone. However, if you have to pay for an hour of his time, it will be worth it in the long run.