Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Technology and Internet
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Technology and Internet Emerging and current tech related issues. Internet, DRM, IP, and other technology related discussions.

Old 11-27-2013, 10:48 AM
Calguns Addict

Location: Currently in a shanty I made in the river bottom by Eastvale.
Default Cable management and cable hiding for "permanent" cables/wires...

Is there anything wrong with running wires or network cable along the bottom of the wall, tacked to the wall exposed or must you hide them or put them in a raceway?

I was going to mount a raceway along the bottom of the walls and let the cables run inside it, but raceways are expensive and I do not have a decent source to get them. There could be as many as 10 or so wires at one point, but I thought if I put them taught and tacked them so they were not sagging they could make the gray wall look like it has pinstriping and give it a nice look still, The cables are black and the color of the wall is around 18% gray (photographers know what I mean).

If the client does not mind, that is okay to do I am thinking, just curious in case I may have forgotten something.

The room has no rubber baseboards, but there is a type of moulding that is glued/nailed to the walls that puts the base at around 6"-8" high with fancy ridges, I was thinking of layering the cables right along the top, connected to the wall itself. There is a ledge along the top of the wall, it could hide a good bundle, but I do not want to run every surface mount box up to the ceiling.

It is a legal office and they do not move things around or what not for the most part.

Anyways, just looking for ideas. I like to plan these things out thirty different ways and then pick one but the exposed cables is an issue with me because I have not done that before. Heck, if I could even get the cheap plywood that was rigid enough I am inclined to make my own raceway/ cable channel (painted black or dark gray of course). :\

Need GOOD SS pins to clean your brass? Try the new and improved model...

Last edited by stilly; 11-27-2013 at 10:50 AM..
Old 11-27-2013, 11:22 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I wouldn't accept it in a commercial environment, but then I'm a RCDD and make a good living designing structured wiring correctly.
Old 11-27-2013, 12:35 PM
Calguns Addict

If this is for a client, then I would expect that the client is paying for labor and materials. So why skip the raceway and do an unprofessional installation? Besides, the time & labor involved in making decent looking "pin striping" would probably cancel the savings from skipping the raceway.

And what happens when someone kicks the baseboard, runs a chair or hand dolly against it, etc.? Will you cover that damage under warranty and replace the cables at your expense?
"The Second Amendment is a doomsday provision, one designed for those exceptionally rare circumstances where all other rights have failed—where the government refuses to stand for re-election and silences those who protest; where courts have lost the courage to oppose, or can find no one to enforce their decrees. However improbable these contingencies may seem today, facing them unprepared is a mistake free people get to make only once." - Justice Alex Kozinski, 9th US Circuit Crt of Appeals
Old 11-27-2013, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stilly View Post
but raceways are expensive and I do not have a decent source to get them.
Home Depot, Lowes, Amazon, Ebay. Not expensive. At the first 2 you can even get paint that is color matched to the wall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stilly View Post
There could be as many as 10 or so wires at one point, but I thought if I put them taught and tacked them so they were not sagging they could make the gray wall look like it has pinstriping and give it a nice look still
g to the h to the e..tt..o

a pro would run them through the walls.
non-pro use a raceway.

Last edited by Off the Roster; 11-27-2013 at 12:51 PM..
Old 11-27-2013, 1:02 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

To followup (now that I'm on an actual computer), it wouldn't be against code (NEC typically) to run the wires that way, but it would certainly be contrary to the established standards.

Find yourself a local electrical distributor (Greybar for example) and buy some Wiremold 2300 surface raceway. You haven't said what category of wiring you are installing, but single channel 2300 can handle 9 CAT5e and maintain a 40% fill and you'll still meet the standards.

Your specific jurisdiction could have additional code requirements not covered by the NEC, so YMMV...
Old 11-27-2013, 1:06 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFortie View Post
To followup (now that I'm on an actual computer), it wouldn't be against code (NEC typically) to run the wires that way, but it would certainly be contrary to the established standards.

Find yourself a local electrical distributor (Greybar for example) and buy some Wiremold 2300 surface raceway. You haven't said what category of wiring you are installing, but single channel 2300 can handle 9 CAT5e and maintain a 40% fill and you'll still meet the standards.

Your specific jurisdiction could have additional code requirements not covered by the NEC, so YMMV...
+1, also if stapling you run the risk of damaging the conductors within the wire. Could cause havoc on the network.
Old 11-27-2013, 1:28 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickshooter View Post
a pro would run them through the walls.
If it's a commercial building, the easiest and cleanest is to run them above the drop ceiling, then down through the walls to the jacks.
"The Second Amendment is a doomsday provision, one designed for those exceptionally rare circumstances where all other rights have failed—where the government refuses to stand for re-election and silences those who protest; where courts have lost the courage to oppose, or can find no one to enforce their decrees. However improbable these contingencies may seem today, facing them unprepared is a mistake free people get to make only once." - Justice Alex Kozinski, 9th US Circuit Crt of Appeals
Old 11-27-2013, 5:34 PM
Veteran Member

I have a backhoe; network administers worst nightmare. You put that cable 2 inches in the ground; I'm gonna dig it up...Dig, Dig, Dig, interrupt, interrupt, interrupt...
Old 11-27-2013, 6:28 PM
Calguns Addict

As long as the horses dont trip over them or try to eat them, you should be fine...

Also, sometimes I type in CAPS to emphasize a POINT. Please dont interpret that as YELLING. Sorry if I HURT any fuzzy little bunny's FEELINGS out there.
Old 11-27-2013, 6:38 PM
Calguns Addict

Hide the wires. Tacking them to the wall looks like crap.

When did I go from being a "citizen" to a "taxpayer"?

Jon Lovitz: ‘I can’t wait to go to a hospital run by the DMV!’
Old 11-28-2013, 2:45 AM
Calguns Addict

These are CAT5 cables for a network. Low voltage, nothing to do with code. There is no drop ceiling or t-bar or ceiling tile or else I would have done/considered that. THAT would be my preference. But the only ceiling tile is outside in the hallway and I plan to run a pair or so over that alongside the other cables. Since I found several scraps of wires that I had leftover in my bag I was gonna see just how hard that wire tacker hits. I may revisit the site and have another look at the walls. I know they have ceiling access from outside the building, but in this case that is kind of out of the question. Maybe the ledge that runs along the tops of the walls is the top of the wall and I can just drill down into it, but I gotta check. It is an odd layout. I guess it used to be a hotel and then it got converted to a office building. Raceways were looking at a price of about $200-$400 per room and that is not acceptable. It would be about 1/3rd of the whole job.

It looks like at one point they had someone come in and spray granite coating all over everything, and then paint SOME of the walls different colors. The granite coating is all over the entire floor. It is crazy, which is why I decided on surface mounting the wires because the only other way would have been to run them horizontally. I will have a look at the Wiremold 2300 surface raceway. Thanks everyone.

Last edited by stilly; 11-28-2013 at 2:50 AM..
Old 12-06-2013, 8:59 PM
CGSSA Coordinator

Can you do Power Over Ethernet for some of the offices?
Old 12-12-2013, 7:56 PM
Veteran Member

Use two of these one at the tv and one at the source of cables for a nice clean instal they make two gang rings also and have a wide array of cover plates to suit your needs.

If you have access to the top of the wall drill a 1" to 1 1/2" hole and fish the cables down the wall to one location. It will look 100000000 times better than a bunch of wires tacked to the wall.

Last edited by ebencikiv; 12-12-2013 at 8:00 PM..
Old 12-12-2013, 8:37 PM
I need a LIFE!!

use pvc pluming pipes as long as its not power do what you want
Old 12-15-2013, 7:41 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Well if your client doesn't want to pay for it to be done right then just duct tape them to the wall. It comes in many different colors!!
Old 12-15-2013, 7:44 PM
Village idiot
CGN Contributor

Please don't tack them to the walls. If anyone saw that they would just nod their head in complete disapproval.
Old 12-15-2013, 9:24 PM
Calguns Addict

I will prolly lean towards a raceway. I can get the white ones and paint them gray or granite to match hopefully. I saw some of those wiremolds and they looked nice. I will basically line the walls with them towards the bottom. Most of the wires will be hidden anyways, going through the walls will make a small hole and I saw those 1 gang hole frame thingies for low voltage. I was already gonna use about four of those.

The problem I found with raceways prior to finding the wiremold was that in microcenter and lowes and depot and a few other places I looked, I only found raceways at a price of about $5 a foot or so.

As for POE there will be none of that here. Not in this job. Everything is gonna be cat5e cables hidden the best I can. There are no POE devices here.

I will contact the main office though and find out where they got their paint from.

I have not done any of this before so I thought I would simply ask to see what is acceptable before I do any work. There are no codes that I am aware of for post construction low voltage/network cables.

Thanks folks. Good ideas to keep in mind here.

Old 12-19-2013, 10:57 PM
Veteran Member

Wire mold is not cheap I only use it as a last resort.

Is it not possible to do this?

This is the way I run data cable to locations in office buildings.

If you have a ledge That you could cut a small hole that is not seen in the drywall then fish the cables to your location and put on a trim plate like this or this and you are done..
No paint clean instal= happy customer
Old 12-19-2013, 11:07 PM
Calguns Addict

Let me know, I can get you different size (1/2" - 4") plastic rails with or with out corner connectors. I can have them drop shipped to you. PM me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAMO556 View Post
Voting for Donald Trump is the protest vote against: Keynesian economics, Neocon wars, exporting jobs, open borders, Washington criminal cartel, too big to fail banks and too big to jail pols and banksters.

Cutting off foreign aid to EVERY country and dismantling the police/surveillance state!

Umm yeah!!!!!
Old 12-20-2013, 3:03 AM
Calguns Addict

I have been contemplating one of these 3-platers, myself (4 including power):

http://www.lowes.com/pd_332112-60784...r|1&facetInfo=

Or one of these 2-platers (3 including power):

http://www.galesburgelectric.com/Car...FWRBQgodXV4A8A

I finally wall-mounted the TV, so it is time to clean up the cables after Christmas.
Old 12-20-2013, 8:53 AM
Veteran Member

^ For that install you would need a three gang box and ring I would use a 4 gang box with a 3 gang ring for more room.

The only problem is you have to open the wall stud to stud then patch and paint. It's nice for a new install but a PIA for a remodel unless you are cool with sheetrock work.

And do not forget to get a barrier for the box because you can't have 120v and data cable in the same box without one per code. I have done it with a cut in box but it was an after thought and a royal PIA lol.
Old 12-20-2013, 10:25 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebencikiv View Post
^ For that install you would need a three gang box and ring I would use a 4 gang box with a 3 gang ring for more room.

The only problem is you have to open the wall stud to stud then patch and paint. It's nice for a new install but a PIA for a remodel unless you are cool with sheetrock work.

And do not forget to get a barrier for the box because you can't have 120v and data cable in the same box without one per code. I have done it with a cut in box but it was an after thought and a royal PIA lol.
I am actually pretty lucky, as my the mounting wall is right under the stairs, and it is all empty space with it looks like plenty of room and under the stairs is probably not sheet-rocked inside... one cut on top, one on the bottom, maybe a fire-break drilling (stick hand in wall-easy) and mount, I assume...

Under the stairs is unfinished on the inside, I believe, so should not have inner-sheet-rock.

I am not fond of places for spiders to live and crawl out of, so the dangler-cable route is out of the question for me...

Last edited by the86d; 12-20-2013 at 10:29 AM..
Old 12-20-2013, 11:15 AM
Veteran Member

Lucky!
Old 12-20-2013, 11:16 AM
Veteran Member

I'd rather be lucky than good as my buddy always says.
Old 12-20-2013, 12:32 PM
Calguns Addict

if you guys need any wall plates connectors wire ANYTHING like that just PM me I will save you some money. Can have everything drop shipped to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAMO556 View Post
Voting for Donald Trump is the protest vote against: Keynesian economics, Neocon wars, exporting jobs, open borders, Washington criminal cartel, too big to fail banks and too big to jail pols and banksters.

Cutting off foreign aid to EVERY country and dismantling the police/surveillance state!

Umm yeah!!!!!
Old 12-20-2013, 1:22 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks yugo! I get most of my material from work lol it costs me nothing as long as I tell the owner what I need he always hooks me up. Are you a supplier? We are always looking for a new sales guy.. We do mostly commercial Electrical and data. And being a calgunner is a major plus ha! pm me for more details.