Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Technology and Internet
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Technology and Internet Emerging and current tech related issues. Internet, DRM, IP, and other technology related discussions.

Old 10-02-2013, 5:08 AM
Veteran Member

Default Internet dropping

One of my adult kids tried setting up his computer in my house,we have
Verizon as our ISP. We have no less then four pads ,laptops etc that work
fine off our router anywhere in the house. His computer keeps
"Dropping" the signal and will not stay connected. His computer has a
Note on the desktop that says "This is not a Genuine Windows7 operating
system,"is there a problem with his operating system,that is causing it
to not hold the internet? Thanks

I had a commission/USNR from 71-77 but never consider myself a Veteran.My Dad and his four
brothers/USMC /WW2,Korea,Vietnam. Their Father US Army WW1. They were Veterans.

9/11 was our worst day----11/9 our best day!
"Guns and religion TRUMP hope and change"
Old 10-02-2013, 6:52 AM

I can confirm that your son's non-genuine Win7 is NOT the cause of the wireless connectivity issues.

When you said his computer is "dropping the signal and will not stay connected", are you saying he can't connect to wifi at all, or that he is connecting, the internet works briefly, and then it drops the connection?
Old 10-02-2013, 6:57 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSpam View Post
he is connecting, the internet works briefly, and then it drops the connection?
This is what is happening,I found some you tube help about resetting the
Wifi card,will try this and see if it helps, Thanks Pete

I had a commission/USNR from 71-77 but never consider myself a Veteran.My Dad and his four
brothers/USMC /WW2,Korea,Vietnam. Their Father US Army WW1. They were Veterans.

9/11 was our worst day----11/9 our best day!
"Guns and religion TRUMP hope and change"
Old 10-02-2013, 7:09 AM
Veteran Member

Could be a faulty wireless card or bad drivers. Reinstalling drivers might help.

NRA Member
SAF Member

Quote:
A tyrant will always find a pretext for his tyranny.
Old 10-02-2013, 7:29 AM

you out in the boonies? first issue is verizion as the isp. if you cant get around that then youll have to deal with it. so reinstalling drivers are the easiest and cheapest first step. second step is to hardwire connect into the router. third step is to buy a replacement wireless card. fourth step is to buy a new router. and the first and last step is to get a new isp.

where we have our house is the boonies, temecula, ca, we got verizion wireless as our isp and our hardwire bandwith we pull down is so low with all the devices connected, our wireless devices are connected but lose connection all the time, and due to the size of the house and infrastructure were sol.

but if you eliminate your connection issue/drivers and hardware, you'll know the source is the isp

Last edited by pluke the 2; 10-02-2013 at 7:31 AM..
Old 10-02-2013, 8:52 AM

If the wireless card is an internal card, you can skip reseating it because if it were improperly seated, Windows wouldn't be able to use it. I would try to find an updated driver for it.

Where is the PC located? Is it on the floor under a desk? If so, put the PC on top of the desk and test wifi again. Is the PC next to any electromagnetic or wireless devices such as a subwoofer or cordless telephone?
Old 10-02-2013, 9:33 AM
Calguns Addict

Could the driver require WiFi encryption to be done though proprietary software?

Did you enter the WiFi encryption key/code into software, or Window's interface?

If it only authenticates after login and Windows is fully up, then the drive might not be loading before it asks you to validate?
Old 10-02-2013, 10:16 AM
Veteran Member

Is the wireless card connecting to the router and then losing connection to it and then reconnecting? If so could try updating the drivers and see if that helps. If not could be the wireless card is failing and you need to replace it.

If it turns out to be the card and your looking to get a replacement one I have a used Netgear USB wireless adapter I can sell you. I bought last year to use on a desktop for just a few months before it died and we wound up getting a new computer with a wireless card built in so I don't need it anymore.

"If you lead your life the right way, the karma will take care of itself. The dreams will come to you." - Randy Paush, Carnegie Mellon University

Old 10-03-2013, 4:31 AM
Calguns Addict

If it is USB... is the USB connector busted/loose?
Old 10-17-2013, 1:18 AM

The new iTunes interferes with wifi connections.
Old 12-06-2013, 10:15 PM
CGSSA Coordinator

I would pull off encryption and try it with mac filtering if you live close to others and are worried about security. If not just pull it off and make it open and see if it is stable. I would also try updating the NIC drivers in the laptop. See if the problem goes away with encryption off. I would also place two devices side by side and see if the reception on the laptop is bad. I have see the wires running in the screen as the antenna on some models disconnected or not plugged in correctly.
Old 12-06-2013, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pluke the 2 View Post
you out in the boonies? first issue is verizion as the isp. if you cant get around that then youll have to deal with it. so reinstalling drivers are the easiest and cheapest first step. second step is to hardwire connect into the router. third step is to buy a replacement wireless card. fourth step is to buy a new router. and the first and last step is to get a new isp.

where we have our house is the boonies, temecula, ca, we got verizion wireless as our isp and our hardwire bandwith we pull down is so low with all the devices connected, our wireless devices are connected but lose connection all the time, and due to the size of the house and infrastructure were sol.

but if you eliminate your connection issue/drivers and hardware, you'll know the source is the isp
You should contact customer care and ask about a booster. It's basically a repeated that VZ loans you and amplifies the signal in your house for better performance.

They are issued all the time in remote or rural areas.

GL
Old 12-06-2013, 10:51 PM

OP, if youre other devices are using the same connection, without issue, it is not your ISP. It is the device.

Try to tether a phone to it, if you have the same issues with tethering, I would start looking at your onboard wi-fi adapter.

Another way to prove that its not your ISP is to take it to a starbucks to see if you get the same issues with their wi fi.
Old 12-07-2013, 6:46 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by catmman View Post
I would pull off encryption and try it with mac filtering if you live close to others and are worried about security. If not just pull it off and make it open and see if it is stable. I would also try updating the NIC drivers in the laptop. See if the problem goes away with encryption off. I would also place two devices side by side and see if the reception on the laptop is bad. I have see the wires running in the screen as the antenna on some models disconnected or not plugged in correctly.
Everyone can bypass MAC filtering, even on a Windows box with most standard NIC drivers, once you have a known-good-MAC. THAT is a cake-walk.

Change WiFi channels manually to see if it improves?

The problem is that is very easy currently to disassociate anyone from an AP/router. This might be the issue, kiddie playing games with your connection and nothing can be down about it.

Try changing to a harder/different WPA2 code like "Thi$might+ake$s0met!m3+0Crack,uħs", and see if the issue persists.

I had one NIC that wouldn't connect to WPA2, a replacement card was like $5-$12 on eBay... and it has been static on the network since.

Last edited by the86d; 12-07-2013 at 6:53 AM..
Old 12-07-2013, 12:49 PM
CGSSA Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by the86d View Post
Everyone can bypass MAC filtering, even on a Windows box with most standard NIC drivers, once you have a known-good-MAC. THAT is a cake-walk.

Change WiFi channels manually to see if it improves?

The problem is that is very easy currently to disassociate anyone from an AP/router. This might be the issue, kiddie playing games with your connection and nothing can be down about it.

Try changing to a harder/different WPA2 code like "Thi$might+ake$s0met!m3+0Crack,uħs", and see if the issue persists.

I had one NIC that wouldn't connect to WPA2, a replacement card was like $5-$12 on eBay... and it has been static on the network since.
Yes everyone can bypass mac filtering and you can also change your subnet and ip range but it is still a layer of security in place while you troubleshoot an intermittent connection issue. I don't understand how a harder WPA2 code would solve a problem if there is a driver or encryption issue.

Don't know what you mean by a question mark after change wifi channels. If the problem is in the 2.4 ghz range, cordless phones, alarms, microwave overns, baby monitors and bluetooth interfere with those freqs.
Old 12-08-2013, 6:18 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by catmman View Post
Yes everyone can bypass mac filtering and you can also change your subnet and ip range but it is still a layer of security in place while you troubleshoot an intermittent connection issue. I don't understand how a harder WPA2 code would solve a problem if there is a driver or encryption issue.

Don't know what you mean by a question mark after change wifi channels. If the problem is in the 2.4 ghz range, cordless phones, alarms, microwave overns, baby monitors and bluetooth interfere with those freqs.
If the encryption was crack and the cracker was using a know-good MAC, this would prevent them from connecting, even if they could still disassociate (as I don't think you can stop a MAC disassociation). I have seen the same MAC used twice on the same net (wired, [don't ask why, it was in error ]), and it caused traffic-issues...

Typically there are 3 freq-ranges used in the US typically, switch to manual, and try each? The question mark designates maybe-try, as interference on the same channel by neighbors might be circumvented this way.

I had a similar issue where only 2 802.11* device was having issues, and bouncing the connection. (I haven't cracked the router to see if it had bursting caps like the 1st gen FiOS routers tended to do, but that was an issue with the 1st-gen FiOS routers, and apparently the 2nd-gen had issues with too much either wireless traffic, or too many devices on said wireless.) The old, non-802.11g FiOS Router was stated by VZ that it couldn't handle that much traffic. They sent me a 802.11n router, and I have not had issue since.

Does the router have the Red-Trim (is it 802.11N), or have a big-white button on the front?

Do you have issues immediately upon a power-cycle of said router (1-2nd-gen had to be cycled when you noticed issues [maybe a memory-leak])?

(When I reference FiOS routers, assume the Actiontec, not the Westell, or the D-Link... unless I mention a NIM. )

Last edited by the86d; 12-08-2013 at 6:40 AM..
Old 12-08-2013, 4:12 PM
CGSSA Coordinator

No more than two routers on the same channel. You need to walk the four corners of your property. You will not be able to tell if phones or other devices are interfering. Yes there are only three channels that don't overlap but the others are safe to use. Have seen what you are talking about but only seen that problem in the mountains or in travel areas. I am sure the person hacking your wifi would get just as mad as you are after a few days and get tired of dropping off. Too bad N isn't what everyone thought it would be.
Old 12-09-2013, 7:07 PM
Veteran Member

If it is a wifi problem and you think it is interfearance, use wifi-analyzer on your android phone to check for other signals as you walk around. BTW Channels overlap, so you want to pick one as far from the others as possible.

Also don't use BOTH G and N, wireless G connections will eat up your router and slow all othrr devices down, so make sure your switching everything to N if your going to use N.

Last edited by Justintoxicated; 12-09-2013 at 7:10 PM..