Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights If it aims your firearm, post about it here.

Old 10-26-2013, 2:19 PM

Default Zeroing Advice for Newbie

So I am trying to zero my Vortex 2.5-10x32 Viper PST 30mm. Since time is at a premium I can only do outdoors once in a while. So I tried it indoor maximum 40 yards it's perfect, hitting the bullseye all other consecutive shots is close (appx 1/2 inch or less)

Took it to Lytle, tried it at 100 yds and I can't hit the side of the barn, others said Im hitting high. Moved it to 50 and I'm shooting high. Any advice?

ar15 rifle length, American Eagle 223, all i had were sandbags and a tripod. will a rifle rest make a difference? I was using their standard stands they sell and stapled splatter targets.
Boris, who had a goat, and Ivan, who didn't. One day, Ivan came upon a strange-looking lamp; when he rubbed it, a genie appeared. She told him that she could grant him just one wish, but it could be anything he wanted.
Ivan said, "I want Boris' goat to die."
-Old Russian Fable
This Is California In A Nutshell
Old 10-26-2013, 2:24 PM

Try boresighting it first. Take the upper receiver off (or slide the rear pin out and pop the lower down from the back) and hold it steady on a sandbag while looking through the barrel from the chamber end. Find the target while looking through the barrel and then look through the scope to see where your crosshair is. Adjust as necessary until the two are aimed at the same point. This usually gets you on paper at whatever distance you intend to shoot.
Old 10-26-2013, 2:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by berg View Post
Try boresighting it first. Take the upper receiver off (or slide the rear pin out and pop the lower down from the back) and hold it steady on a sandbag while looking through the barrel from the chamber end. Find the target while looking through the barrel and then look through the scope to see where your crosshair is. Adjust as necessary until the two are aimed at the same point. This usually gets you on paper at whatever distance you intend to shoot.
Do you recommend this at 50 or 100 yards
Boris, who had a goat, and Ivan, who didn't. One day, Ivan came upon a strange-looking lamp; when he rubbed it, a genie appeared. She told him that she could grant him just one wish, but it could be anything he wanted.
-Old Russian Fable
Old 10-26-2013, 2:35 PM
AD IUDICIUM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjmorales View Post
Do you recommend this at 50 or 100 yards
You should do this at the range/distance that you intend to be shooting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nad24LA View Post
"If you do somebody right they may tell 2 or 3 other people, but if you screw somebody they will tell everybody they can"
Old 10-26-2013, 2:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoldierLife7 View Post
You should do this at the range/distance that you intend to be shooting.
Exactly. And I guess I should add you will need to remove the bolt carrier group first and it is important to not move the rifle at all between looking through the bore and looking through the scope.
Old 10-26-2013, 3:41 PM

Thanks for the advice I'll do that next go around
Old 10-26-2013, 6:59 PM
I need a LIFE!!

You don't need special targets, take the upper off, remove the BCG, and use your eyeball to look down the bore. All you need is to keep the upper still and that can be done with some sand bags or even just setting it on a flat surface.

You don't even need to be at the range to bore sight it. Once you're at the range, do this:

If for some reason you still need convincing(it's almost a weekly occurrence that someone posts a thread requiring one of those videos as a response), consider that the guy who runs one of the biggest shooting accessory retail businesses in the country isn't trying to sell you lasers, tools, mirrors, special targets, or anything of the sort.

Last edited by Merc1138; 10-26-2013 at 7:05 PM..
Old 10-26-2013, 7:42 PM

How much were you hitting high at 100? Sounds like a possible scope mounting issue. Did the turrets get bumped Between your 40 yard session and your 100 session? Something happened to your scope / rifle relationship.
Did you use the same ammo for both sessions? Aggressive cleaning between sessions? Gotta know how high you were hitting compared to the first time.
Old 10-27-2013, 7:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjb269 View Post
How much were you hitting high at 100? Sounds like a possible scope mounting issue. Did the turrets get bumped Between your 40 yard session and your 100 session? Something happened to your scope / rifle relationship.
Did you use the same ammo for both sessions? Aggressive cleaning between sessions? Gotta know how high you were hitting compared to the first time.
Tried it first at 40 yards indoor, no problem, It's mounted on cantilever quick release, a friend helped me and he is a professional gunsmith with all the proper equipment. I have not taken it off, I mount it carefully on a vice when i clean it. (gunzilla and and tetra oil) down I don't think turrets got bumped (to my knowledge) tried it outdoors 100 yards for the first time not even close to the paper.(don't know by how much) same ammo american eagle 223, took it back indoor just to check and its hitting red at 40, maybe its technique or not able to brace it properly....
I have a Site Lite 100 I used on my other Colt M4 and Eotech 512, (I had no problems with that )...I should do that as well for this?
-Old Russian Fable

Last edited by tjmorales; 10-27-2013 at 7:45 AM..
Old 10-27-2013, 11:20 AM

You should have been about .7 inches high at 100 with a 40 yard zero and windage should not have changed at all. Beats me what happened. How are your fundamentals of shooting?
When you went to 50 at Lytle how high were your impacts? What power mag are you shooting at?
I have no idea what a Site Lite 100 is.

Last edited by sjb269; 10-27-2013 at 2:40 PM..
Old 10-27-2013, 12:28 PM

There is something else going on here. According to my ballistics software if you are shooting 55gr FMJ's sighted in at 40 yards at a target at 100 yards your POI should 1.11 inches above your POA! At 200 yard you should be .51 inch low. You might want to make sure everything on your gun is tight. Or your optic isn't holding zero.

I sight my 3 gun rifle in at 50 yards and I can bang a standard 8 inch diameter steel plate from 50 to 250 years with ease.
Old 10-27-2013, 2:32 PM
Cattle Thieves Pro Staff

Either the scope or the mount is wonky. Being a 223 and your claim of great accuracy at 40 yards its probably not your form. Do keep in mind that if your using some rifle holding stand and the rifle isn't locked in (ie. Buttstock can slide back and forth) the poi will vary.
Old 10-27-2013, 3:22 PM

He shouldn't need to bore sight if hes already on at 40 yrds.
Old 10-27-2013, 3:29 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fonzy View Post
He can do it at 100. Really sounds like something is up with his mount if he's not even hitting the target, and the 40 yards is pretty irrelevant considering the problem.
Old 10-27-2013, 7:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjb269 View Post
You should have been about .7 inches high at 100 with a 40 yard zero and windage should not have changed at all. Beats me what happened. How are your fundamentals of shooting?
When you went to 50 at Lytle how high were your impacts? What power mag are you shooting at?
I have no idea what a Site Lite 100 is.
The calculations is really greek to me at this point. Maybe as I get deeper I will understand it. I had 4 splatter targets on the stand they sell at Lytle. (I don't know exact measurement on how far apart they are) When I was having problems with 100 yards I moved it to 50 yards and tried again aiming at the bottom splatter target, all the shots were hitting the splatter target above it. (please don't ask the math I did not measure anything) all I know is if I use the top part of the crosshair to hit the bullseye.
SiteLite is a laser bore sight I used it on my Eotech 512 and ColtM4 and it worked well.
-Old Russian Fable
Old 10-27-2013, 7:18 PM
Calguns Addict

Adjust from POA to POI with out moving the rifle. Best done with a bench rest.

NRA MEMBER

Originally Posted by ar15barrels
Unscrew the lid. There is a foil seal there.
Pull the seal off and screw the lid back on.
Then you can squeeze the mustard and it will come out of the bottle..

Liberals are termites eating at the foundation of our constitution.
Michael Reagan
Old 10-29-2013, 4:37 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Is it a ffp or sfp scope. Second focal plane scopes will move the poi when you zoom in. So if you had it at a lower setting when you zeroed. And then zoomed all the way in to try to shoot at 100 yards. The poi will shift.

Just something to think about.

Edit. Went and checked out the pst scopes and there are 2 models that are 2.5x10. One is ffp the other I assume is sfp. Being that the ffp is clearly stated on the page. Did you buy the 2.5x10x32 or the 2.5x10x44.

Last edited by Warhawk014; 10-29-2013 at 4:47 PM..
Old 10-29-2013, 5:21 PM
Calguns Addict

QUOTE=mjmagee67;12634389]There is something else going on here. According to my ballistics software if you are shooting 55gr FMJ's sighted in at 40 yards at a target at 100 yards your POI should 1.11 inches above your POA! At 200 yard you should be .51 inch low. You might want to make sure everything on your gun is tight. Or your optic isn't holding zero.

I sight my 3 gun rifle in at 50 yards and I can bang a standard 8 inch diameter steel plate from 50 to 250 years with ease.[/QUOTE]

^^^^^this. Even without ballistic chart you can be assured that a zero at 40-50 will put you within a couple inches at 100. The bullet is is stlil rising to POA at 40.

Only time I've had something similar is on a .264 I was shooting light bullets too fast. Pretty fast twist designed for heavy bullets. Shoot 'em too fast and they don't stablize. Couldn't see with the first few rounds at 50 after bore-sighting. Walked it in with a few rounds at 50. Moved to 100 and though I was on paper I wasn't close. Noticed keyholing on the paper. Any standard twist AR should stabilize 55 grains.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fonzy View Post
Exactly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhawk014 View Post
Is it a ffp or sfp scope. Second focal plane scopes will move the poi when you zoom in. So if you had it at a lower setting when you zeroed. And then zoomed all the way in to try to shoot at 100 yards. The poi will shift.

Edit. Went and checked out the pst scopes and there are 2 models that are 2.5x10. One is ffp the other I assume is sfp. Being that the ffp is clearly stated on the page. Did you buy the 2.5x10x32 or the 2.5x10x44.
Not discernably on a decent scope...which this is a very decent scope. Maybe on a Barfska, but even then it's not gonna take you off paper.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Dave View Post
I won't.
I sign the dotted line and wrote a blank check to my country (RIP) back in the 1980s payable up to and including my life.
Back then I had a country worth defending, if Russia or China were to invade tomorrow I'll laugh.
Old 10-29-2013, 7:04 PM

Im not pro or anything but for me personally after I bought a nice rifle rest it made the job of zeroing a 5 bullet job instead of a 50 bullet job.
Old 10-29-2013, 7:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4WD View Post
Im not pro or anything but for me personally after I bought a nice rifle rest it made the job of zeroing a 5 bullet job instead of a 50 bullet job.
Exactly, nothing like using a decent rest to setup a zero. The Lead Sled Solo will get you there and currently is on Overstock.com for $72 w/free shipping.

http://www.overstock.com/Sports-Toys...rd}&adtype=pla
Old 10-30-2013, 8:05 PM

Update: I finally was able to zero the scope. Guy at Raahagues spotted me and it was shooting high. We dialed the scope til I guess I was to chicken **** to turn the turrets on the scope thinking i might damage it. It hit paper and after 3 tries From there zeroing was easy. Thanks a lot everyone for the valuable input.
-Old Russian Fable