Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Shoots, Meets and Range Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

CGSSA Shoots, Meets and Range Stories Set up and organize shoots and meets and share your shooting range stories.

Old 10-27-2013, 4:41 PM

Default Discount Gun Mart off Morena - Steel Case?

There was a time when DGM didn't allow any type of steel case ammo to be used at all, but then they chose to be more lax to the shooters that shoot 7.62x39, 7.63x54R, and the likes of Russian cartridges. Then I heard that they chose to go back to their old rules of having a blanket rule and didn't allow any steel case ammo to be used at all because some idiots destroyed the target holder machine (but why is steel case to be blamed? Yes I know, bimetal jackets would be their response, but still).

But their website says otherwise where they do allow steel case 7.62x39/54R and the likes, assuming 5.45x39 too. Not necessarily talking about surplus ammo here.
http://www.discountgunmart.com/categ....ammo_allowed/

I haven't been there since I heard from some folks here on cgn that they just chose to do a blanket ban on all steel case. Why didn't I call to confirm? Don't know honestly.

I'm planning on taking my girlfriend on a shooting trip for her first time, and I want to make sure I don't waste time going here if I bring/buy steel case ammo for my ak and mosin (hehe).

Any insight on those that have been there recently?

I don't mind taking her to p2k, but the cost is a bit much, I also don't mind the long drive to sbrgc since it'll be a beautiful scenic drive (I'm a romantic guy ), but the range distances might be a bit much for her to start off at.

Any insight? Thanks guys.

Last edited by BucDan; 10-27-2013 at 4:46 PM..
Old 10-27-2013, 5:08 PM
CGN Contributor

Go to South Bay Rod & Gun. It's not THAT much more of a drive than p2k. It's $20 for the whole day. There is targets from 50-300 yards on the main range,and you can usually shoot rifle on the multi use range as well.
And no problem shooting steel...
Old 10-27-2013, 5:09 PM

I'm there every weekend. Steel case is ok in calibers that were "designed for steel case"(ak, mosin, etc). They will check the projectile with a magnet. If it is magnetic at all, steel core or bimetal jacket, then it's a no go.
Old 10-27-2013, 5:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWHuey View Post
Go to South Bay Rod & Gun. It's not THAT much more of a drive than p2k. It's $20 for the whole day. There is targets from 50-300 yards on the main range,and you can usually shoot rifle on the multi use range as well.
And no problem shooting steel...
According to their website, the price increased to 25/day and 100/year. Well I'm driving from Mira Mesa .

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadodave View Post
I'm there every weekend. Steel case is ok in calibers that were "designed for steel case"(ak, mosin, etc). They will check the projectile with a magnet. If it is magnetic at all, steel core or bimetal jacket, then it's a no go.
I get that, but almost every steel case projectile is bimetal, so I'm still screwed? Well, they didn't say anything about bimetal on the site techinically...
Old 10-27-2013, 5:14 PM

Yea, but they have a magnet at check in. I bought lead core mosin ammo and they checked it. Still magnetic due to jacket so I couldn't use it.
Old 10-27-2013, 5:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadodave View Post
Yea, but they have a magnet at check in. I bought lead core mosin ammo and they checked it. Still magnetic due to jacket so I couldn't use it.
Yeah, so I assume you tried brown bear? Because they do have a bimetal jacket with lead core. I know the brass cased ammo is fine, but more pricey. I wish they went back to the old policy, I went there all the time with my ak back in the days.

Makes me feel like my AK was a bad investment, kinda.
Old 11-05-2013, 5:30 PM

Yea, there's just too many dirtbags who hit their range equipment, and it's really expensive to replace. It's a bummer, but I really can't hold it against them, what with the automatic targets and everything.

P2k is the place to go if you want to shoot your steel. Or if you reload, you can pull the bullets and put in non-magnetic projectiles. I don't reload, so I don't know if that is cost effective.

I would imagine you could buy your steel case, pull existing bullet, put in your non magnetic, and sell the pulled bimetal jacket/steel core bullets on the forum here.