Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights If it aims your firearm, post about it here.

Old 10-25-2013, 6:22 PM

Default PA Sight

I just bought a Sig 516 and I'm looking for some type of optic. I have discovered the Primary Arms 1-6X Scope with ACSS Reticle. Was wondering if anyone knows if this will work with the flip up sights i have installed for co-witness? Also could someone recommend me a good low profile look mount that is solid.

Thanks,
Old 10-25-2013, 6:48 PM

can't cowitness with magnified optics. only with non-magnified optics like red dots (aimpoints) and holographic systems (eotechs).

for magnified optics, slap them on a quick-detach mount, and have folding back up sights. optics goes down, take it off quickly, deploy sights, continue pillaging and destroying everything in your path.

be safe.
Old 10-25-2013, 7:03 PM

Appreciate the input! Any recommendations on a specific mount?
Old 10-25-2013, 7:42 PM

if you're not swapping optics their extended mount should suffice and works well.
Old 10-25-2013, 11:08 PM

all of my optics are on american defense mounts, and i am completely satisfied with them. havent lost zero yet. i rarely switch out my optics (different zero for every rifle), but do like to remove my optics when cleaning the rifle. i shoot NTCH (nose to charging handle), so i need to use the recon-x mounts for proper eye relief. if you shoot further back, the recon mounts should work fine.
Old 10-28-2013, 12:49 PM
Trigger Warning
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Gotta tell you, it depends on the scope as well. I like Bobro, but on the Sig 556 is best with a little lower mount to give you a better cheek weld. The size of the objective lens and rear sight height have a lot to do with clearances.

As mentioned you cannot co-witness with magnified sights. Or are you asking for a scope mount that will put the scope centered at the same height as the irons? That is a really tough question for me on that rifle. The only Sig rifle I have is a 522 which is pretty similar dimentionally.

I put a Troy flip on the rear and a Midwest Industries Sig flip on the front. Because mine is a .22 I didn't want to spend a fortune on a scope, but I used the Burris PEPR mount. As an AR mount the PEPR seems a bit high on the Sig rifle.

Hope that info helps a little.
Old 10-29-2013, 5:26 AM

I'm in the same boat, have a 516 jailed right now and really looking hard at the PA 1x6 ACSS.

As far as cowitness, I thought I read in Dimitri's thread that someone had setup a cowitness config with their rifle I think it was an A2, but that at anything over 3x you wont see it.
Old 10-29-2013, 5:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkfansd View Post
As far as cowitness, I thought I read in Dimitri's thread that someone had setup a cowitness config with their rifle I think it was an A2, but that at anything over 3x you wont see it.
they may be discussing seeing the FSB thru the magnified optic. for some people, seeing the FSB thru an optic, magnified or non-maginified, may be distracting, hence they use folding sights. however, if you use the FSB, or any non folding front sight, with magnified optics they tend to become just blurs at around 3x magnification and higher.

however, with magnified optics, you cannot co-witness, since by definition that means being able to use two sighting systems at the same time, interchangeably. with magnified optics (like the PA 1-6x), you wont be able to use a rear sight even though you may be able to see the front sight thru the optic. just the nature of the beast.
Old 10-29-2013, 7:22 PM
Vendor/Retailer

No CW with magnified optic

Dimitri