Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Northern California Chapters
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2013, 7:24 PM

Default Panoche/Tumey hills open?

Hey guys, a few friend and I were planning on going to the Tumey Hills area for some good ol' BLM shooting. I realize that fire season should be ending on the 15th of this month or so and was wondering with the government shutdown, will we have access to the area? Also, does anyone have any word as to if anyone is going to open the gate up after fire season for vehicle access?

From what I understand, BLM rangers and such won't be answering calls or emails so I'm looking to see if anyone has any first hand information. Thanks!
Old 10-06-2013, 4:45 PM

I'd sure like to know too. Looks like the BLM website for Tumey is down, I'm just getting redirected to the DOI site. Prior to the shutdown the site said the area opens up with the beginning of upland bird season which I believe the 19th in that area. I'd bet the govt. shutdown ends before then and the gates will be open in two weeks.

I'm more and more concerned every year about a permanent closure for vehicles and/or shooters because of all the trash left behind.
Old 10-07-2013, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcaporale View Post
I'd sure like to know too. Looks like the BLM website for Tumey is down, I'm just getting redirected to the DOI site. Prior to the shutdown the site said the area opens up with the beginning of upland bird season which I believe the 19th in that area. I'd bet the govt. shutdown ends before then and the gates will be open in two weeks.

I'm more and more concerned every year about a permanent closure for vehicles and/or shooters because of all the trash left behind.
We can only hope that the shutdown ends so I can get out there without any issues. Anyone try to go there this past weekend? If the gates aren't open, does anyone have a suggestion as far as where to park my vehicle and hike in? It will be my first time out there so I really have no idea what to look for or what to expect. Oh, and I will definitely be hauling all my trash back out. If the gates are open, i'll be hauling out other peoples' trash too!
Old 10-07-2013, 1:13 PM

There is an established picnic area with some bathrooms at the first entrance that is a good place to park. There's also another entrance right on the main road. You shouldn't really need to hike too far unless you wanna shoot really far or want to getaway from the road.

I've been there twice during fire season and seen the gates open at the picnic area. I didn't risk driving up the roads, but with the shutdown going on and no one to enforce the closure you may be able to go in there without a problem of they are open.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
Old 10-07-2013, 8:33 PM

Quote:
There is an established picnic area with some bathrooms at the first entrance that is a good place to park. There's also another entrance right on the main road. You shouldn't really need to hike too far unless you wanna shoot really far or want to getaway from the road.

I've been there twice during fire season and seen the gates open at the picnic area. I didn't risk driving up the roads, but with the shutdown going on and no one to enforce the closure you may be able to go in there without a problem of they are open.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
Thanks for the great info. I did read that the Tumey area is open year round typically, but was hoping it wouldn't be affected by the shutdown. Also good to know there's plenty of places to park as I was worried I would have to park alongside a random road somewhere.
Old 10-09-2013, 9:07 PM
Veteran Member

The picnic area is relatively small compared to all of Tumey but it's enough.

I'm hoping to make it down there around the 20th myself. Hopefully the shutdown will be over by then, or it will be semi-open like during fire season, but I sure hope they won't have put up do not enter signs or something. That would be awkward. See this thread for some no entry signed BLM land: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...&highlight=blm

I saw the website redirect, but has anybody tried calling the Hollister office anyway? 831.630.5000 I think? I was thinking I'd try around the 17th either way. Can't hurt.
Old 10-10-2013, 10:16 AM

http://www.doi.gov/shutdown/fy2014/upload/BLM-FAQ.pdf

I found this on DOI website that you get redirected to when you try and go to the Tumey website. My interpretation is that that Panoche and Tumey are just as open as they were two weeks ago. As I understand it, they are not controlled access areas, but just closed to vehicles during the fire season.

If any one does make it out there please let us know if there are any signs posted with restrictions.

Either way, from what I see even if it's "closed" there there will not be anyone to enforce anything.

Once the shutdown ends, they will probably lift the fire restrictions and open the gates, provided they determine the area is no longer a high risk fire area.
Old 10-10-2013, 2:43 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
provided they determine the area is no longer a high risk fire area.
That seems to be based on the calendar as much as anything, which is why many of us seem to have marked the 19th/20th as a good weekend to go. :-)

Well, we'll see, but I'd definitely love to hear from somebody who's actually been down there in the last few days.
Old 10-10-2013, 6:50 PM

I hope its open this Saturday the 12th, heading there with some friends for a day of shooting with new shooters. I'll post up what we find so others know.

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass" -Japanese Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto (WW2)
Old 10-12-2013, 5:23 PM

Default Checking in

Hey did you end up going. I am planning on going tomorrow and it would be really helpful to know if the gate was open.
Old 10-12-2013, 9:50 PM

Exclamation Checking in again and again

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReelReel View Post
Hey did you end up going. I am planning on going tomorrow and it would be really helpful to know if the gate was open.

I really would like a "check in" from ANYONE who might have been to Panoche or Tumney. I really would like to know if the gate is open or not before i drive that far. Thanks in advance!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-13-2013, 11:17 AM
Veteran Member

Any updates?
Old 10-14-2013, 10:35 AM

The gate to the picnic area at Tumey was closed this summer after the gates were closed to the internal Tumey. SOME IDIOTS decided they didn't like the internal gates being closed...so they started shooting the restroom. This is what I was told by BLM field guy and I went several times this summer. You can park at the gate and walk it.

I'm expecting the gates to be closed until after Obama's shutdown. My wife just said she wants to go explore...we may take a drive this weekend to the area.
Old 10-14-2013, 11:34 AM
Veteran Member

I was going to go the 19th or 20th but I think I'm going to bag it until we can call or check the website and get confirmation. Shame.
Old 10-14-2013, 1:26 PM

Anyone out there as of last weekend that can confirm the current situation with the gates?

I'll be going this weekend open or not unless I end up having a chance to shoot on some private land.

I will be sure to post back here if the gates were opened or not if I do end up going.
Old 10-14-2013, 7:56 PM
Veteran Member

I'd appreciate that, especially if you go Saturday.
Old 10-15-2013, 11:54 AM

Default Please Update ASAP

I know there are some who have been down there. Please take the time to save the reset of us a drive or to let us know that the drive is worth it.

Thanks to all
Old 10-17-2013, 2:09 PM

It would appear that the gates are now open! The BLM website came back online today and the notice that used to appear there noting the fire restrictions is now gone!!

I will be there this weekend and will post back with my findings.

http://www.blm.gov/ca/st/en/fo/holli...mey.print.html
Old 10-17-2013, 2:19 PM
Veteran Member

Excellent. This morning the site was up but still with the fire notice.
Old 10-17-2013, 6:00 PM
Banned

I called the Hollister field office today and they said that Panoche is indeed open.
Old 10-19-2013, 6:35 PM
Veteran Member

I was at Tumey today. No drama. Pretty good crowd out there but no problems finding a safe spot. No sign of rangers, not that I've ever seen one out there.
Old 10-19-2013, 6:41 PM
Автомат Калашникова
CGN Contributor

My buddy and I went there to test some custom .223 loads today, didn't see any BLM rangers but when we started to head out around noon we did see a white BLM truck just outside the Tunmmey Hills entrance scoping out shooters with his Binoculars. Waved hi and we were on our way, just a FYI dont go off the main road into Tumey Hills(my buddy got a ticket before fire season for parking his car beyond the main road).
Old 10-19-2013, 7:27 PM
Veteran Member

You definitely have to watch for signs around the day use area - there's a bunch of places you're not supposed to drive/park even though it seems like there's no obvious reason why, and from talking to rangers on the phone that's mostly the area they're concerned about.

If you drive the 5 miles along the main road to the second entrance you're still not supposed to go offroading but the road keeps splitting and it's easy to find some little corner where some road is near a hill/backstop.
Old 11-10-2013, 10:12 AM

Went yesterday and it was awesome. I didn't see any signs of dumping and really no trash either. Weather was perfect all day. I will definitely be making another trip out there.
Old 11-12-2013, 2:04 AM

Hey with the new lead ammo ban that was passed in CA, is it now illegal to shoot 22lr at Panoche Hills, Griswold Hills, or other BLM area? True... most if not all shooters are not technically "hunting" with 22lr, only plinking and target shooting, BUT if you get caught "endangering the environment" with "harmful" lead... could you get that $500 fine on the spot? Any comments or thoughts on this will be welcome.
Old 11-12-2013, 6:23 AM
Veteran Member

No.
Old 11-12-2013, 8:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yogibear View Post
Hey with the new lead ammo ban that was passed in CA, is it now illegal to shoot 22lr at Panoche Hills, Griswold Hills, or other BLM area? True... most if not all shooters are not technically "hunting" with 22lr, only plinking and target shooting, BUT if you get caught "endangering the environment" with "harmful" lead... could you get that $500 fine on the spot? Any comments or thoughts on this will be welcome.
It isn't illegal to shoot lead while target shooting, which most people are doing out there in Panoche. There isn't any game out there to hunt anyway nor will you see any rangers. Just have fun and don't shoot across any roads.
Old 12-03-2013, 8:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halo714 View Post
Went yesterday and it was awesome. I didn't see any signs of dumping and really no trash either. Weather was perfect all day. I will definitely be making another trip out there.
HI,

I live in San jose. How do I get to a safe spot and start shooting my handgun? I don't need to shoot long range, just 20-50 yards max.
Old 12-03-2013, 8:07 AM
Veteran Member

You drive around until you find an area that's not close to anybody else and where there's a good backstop (i.e. a hill). The area has lots of rolling hills so it's really easy. Don't shoot across a road, don't shoot within 150 yards of a structure. Pick up your trash including brass when you're done.
Old 12-13-2013, 11:43 AM

I shoot metal casing, so picking up my casings is not an issue. Use a magnet with a long handle.