Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CALIFORNIA SHOOTING CLUBS AND ORGANIZATIONS > The Appleseed Project
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

The Appleseed Project The Revolutionary War Veterans Association

Old 08-28-2013, 8:35 AM

Thumbs up Appleseed at Raahague's in Corona, September 21-22

Come out and join us for a weekend of rifle marksmanship and American heritage, September 21-22, at Raahauge's Range in Corona.

Learn (or refresh) the fundamentals of rifle marksmanship, reconnect with your heritage and challenge yourself with our version of the Army Qualification Test (AQT). Shoot an expert score on the AQT and earn the, often elusive, Rifleman patch!

This will be a 25 meter event with both rimfires and centerfires welcome.

Registration info is here: http://appleseedinfo.org/search-stat...ame=California

Info about what to bring and how to prepare is here: http://www.appleseedinfo.org/as_prepare.html

If you have questions, post ‘em up.

Last edited by rconnerley; 08-30-2013 at 4:40 PM..
Old 09-10-2013, 8:05 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Location: Somewhere in the Inland Empire between the mountains, the desert, and the beach

Looking at doing this event in October or November...

If I take my grandson, do we each need our own LTR or could we possibly share? I only have one 10/22 that is ready to go as an Appleseed gun with sling and Tech Sights...

???

Thanks!
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed one.
--Thomas Jefferson
Quote:
Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies. --Groucho Marx
Old 09-10-2013, 2:57 PM

You do need a rifle each, sharing a rifle is not possible. However, contact the shoot boss and a loaner LTR can usually be arranged. You just need to bring ammo for both rifles.

Cheers
V
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Licht View Post
Looking at doing this event in October or November...

If I take my grandson, do we each need our own LTR or could we possibly share? I only have one 10/22 that is ready to go as an Appleseed gun with sling and Tech Sights...

???

Thanks!
Old 09-12-2013, 6:22 AM

To follow up on V's post, contacting the Shoot Boss for either event will be easy as we are both Calgunners. V has the October shoot and I will be the SB for November. More notice is always better for arranging loaners.
Once you have decided which shoot you will attend let the appropriate one of us know.

All the best,
Robert
Old 09-16-2013, 4:47 PM

Plenty of space left on the line and relatively cool weather in the forecast. Who else wants to get in on this?
Old 09-20-2013, 8:39 PM

There look like a bunch of spots left. Is it possible to go despite not having pre-registered?
Old 09-20-2013, 9:57 PM

just in case Robert doesn't see this...:
Yes! Unless the event is sold out (and sometimes even then...) "Walk-on" shooters are gladly welcomed!

Shoots usually start around 8:30-9:00 a.m.
Old 09-21-2013, 4:22 AM

Sure come on out! We start at 8:30am. If this is your first 'seed take a look at the what to bring link at the top of this thread. Hope to see you there!
Old 09-23-2013, 5:01 PM

though smaller than usual, this was a really fun shoot! The After Action Report is up here: http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=37677.0

Appleseed will be back in Corona October 19th-20th!
Old 09-23-2013, 6:13 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Location: Somewhere in the Inland Empire between the mountains, the desert, and the beach

I should make it in October, but I will have to be a "walk-on" I had my 7 year old grandson try out my Ruger and he is still too little to get a good grip on it standing. He has been shooting a bb gun under supervision for a while now, but that is light.

So he will have to wait a lil longer.

Was I correct that nobody made rifleman last weekend?
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed one.
--Thomas Jefferson
Quote:
Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies. --Groucho Marx

Last edited by Darryl Licht; 09-24-2013 at 11:21 AM..
Old 09-23-2013, 9:32 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Licht View Post
Was I correct that nobody made rifleman last weekend?
That's how I read the AAR.

Seems like usually it takes people 2-3 weekends to make rifleman unless they have pretty good prior experience of one kind of another. For one thing, just the mechanics of getting into and out of position without a lot of correction and doing efficient magazine changes (leaving enough time to get the shooting done on stages 2-3) takes most people some practice. It's nothing you can't do in dryfire in the period between appleseeds but it's hard to really get everything rote down to the level where you're not having to overthink everything in one weekend.
Old 09-24-2013, 9:44 AM

No new riflemen this time. But we have several knocking at the door!
Old 09-24-2013, 11:19 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Do you suggest live fire practice with the scaled down appleseed targets for 25yds, or?

I used to be a crack shot, now aging eyes (51 yrs), but I want to get that patch! LOL!

What can I do in the weeks before to help me?

---AND, do you allow youngsters to shoot using a rest? My grandson doesn't quite have the size/strength for standing shooting yet.
--Thomas Jefferson
Quote:

Last edited by Darryl Licht; 09-24-2013 at 11:21 AM..
Old 09-24-2013, 7:31 PM
CGSSA Leader

Lots of shooting may not help. Practice only makes perfect if you aren't reinforcing bad habits.

Best thing you can do is to STRETCH. Get your body used to getting up and down and getting into position. I find that stretching my neck is the most important of all.

The hardest mechanical thing is the Loop Sling. If you don't have a sling that can do the Loop Sling on your rifle, think about getting one. As always we recommend the (cotton) M1 GI Sling as it is cheap, ubiquitous, and just plain works. This blog post describes the Loop Sling technique in detail. Practice getting your sling on correctly.

Third item is to zero your rifle, and be very familiar with its sight adjustments. If you need tools to make adjustments, bring them with you.

As always, have fun. Bring a friend.

For your grandson, if he's not old enough for all the positions, we'll have him shoot from a rest and concentrate on Six Steps, NPOA, etc. Still plenty to learn. We often have younger folks on the line, it's no trouble at all.

Ask me about Appleseed! Send a PM or see me in the Appleseed subforum.
Old 09-24-2013, 8:35 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by as_rocketman View Post
Lots of shooting may not help. Practice only makes perfect if you aren't reinforcing bad habits.

Best thing you can do is to STRETCH. Get your body used to getting up and down and getting into position. I find that stretching my neck is the most important of all.

The hardest mechanical thing is the Loop Sling. If you don't have a sling that can do the Loop Sling on your rifle, think about getting one. As always we recommend the (cotton) M1 GI Sling as it is cheap, ubiquitous, and just plain works. This blog post describes the Loop Sling technique in detail. Practice getting your sling on correctly. Stretching is something I will have to force myself to do, not as limber as I used to be! LOL!

Third item is to zero your rifle, and be very familiar with its sight adjustments. If you need tools to make adjustments, bring them with you.

As always, have fun. Bring a friend.

For your grandson, if he's not old enough for all the positions, we'll have him shoot from a rest and concentrate on Six Steps, NPOA, etc. Still plenty to learn. We often have younger folks on the line, it's no trouble at all.
Thanks for all the great info.

I do have the USGI sling already and installed the tech sights on my 10/22 a few months back. I zeroed using a laser bore sight that I know works as I confirmed it in a rifle that I know to be accurate. I am familiar with the adjustments for elev. & windage as well. I do need to learn and practice the sling as I have never used one for nothing but an over the shoulder carry mechanism.

I look forward to bringing my lil buddy and am happy he will learn the proper way to shoot. I was told by you or rc that there are usually spare rifles there to use, as I only have one 10/22. So I will keep in touch as the next even approaches in October!

Thanks again!
--Thomas Jefferson
Quote:
Old 09-25-2013, 5:26 AM

It sounds like you have your gear pretty well sorted out. Be sure you have at least two functional magazines to bring to the shoot.

+1 on Rocket Man's advice to limber up and practice getting into position w/sling beforehand. Familiarity with how to properly use your sling before the shoot will be an advantage. Being able to get your body into, and out of, stable prone, sitting and standing positions is also one of the foundations of the style of marksmanship we teach.

V will be running the Corona shoot in October. Loaner rifles are often available, typically on a first come, first served basis. If you need a loaner I suggest that you PM him ASAP to get that arranged.
Old 09-25-2013, 4:25 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rconnerley View Post
It sounds like you have your gear pretty well sorted out. Be sure you have at least two functional magazines to bring to the shoot.

+1 on Rocket Man's advice to limber up and practice getting into position w/sling beforehand. Familiarity with how to properly use your sling before the shoot will be an advantage. Being able to get your body into, and out of, stable prone, sitting and standing positions is also one of the foundations of the style of marksmanship we teach.

V will be running the Corona shoot in October. Loaner rifles are often available, typically on a first come, first served basis. If you need a loaner I suggest that you PM him ASAP to get that arranged.
Went over my grandsons soccer schedule with my daughter... damn! He cant make it in Oct or Nov. So Papa's gonna go do the one next month solo, then I will take him in December!

Any good websites or Appleseed literature on the proper stance <--Appleseed way?
--Thomas Jefferson
Quote:
Old 09-25-2013, 9:11 PM

Here is some good vintage position instruction from WWII training films, though we teach some variations on the positions, this will get you on the right track. http://archive.org/details/Rifle_Mar...1_Rifle_Part_1
Old 09-25-2013, 11:21 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rconnerley View Post
Here is some good vintage position instruction from WWII training films, though we teach some variations on the positions, this will get you on the right track. http://archive.org/details/Rifle_Mar...1_Rifle_Part_1
Oh crap I have those downloaded already, haven't watched the one on position, only on setting elevation, windage, and the good old Kentucky windage!

Thanks for all the wonderful advice and tips! See you in October!
--Thomas Jefferson
Quote:
Old 10-07-2013, 11:56 AM

Beginner question: would it be okay for me to shoot in prescription glasses, or do I need to wear wraparound safety glasses?
Old 10-07-2013, 12:00 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Can't make it this month but I'm confirmed for next month. Lookin' forward to it!

Front Sight Commander Member www.frontsight.com
NRA Benefactor Life Member www.nra.org
CRPA Life Member www.crpa.org
Old 10-07-2013, 7:24 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by punknil View Post
Beginner question: would it be okay for me to shoot in prescription glasses, or do I need to wear wraparound safety glasses?
I just shoot in glasses and a baseball cap. Getting a piece of brass behind your glasses is no fun but it's going to be coming from the left, and if you're right handed worst case it'll be hitting the back of your head. Not sure how it works for lefties.