Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calgunners in Service
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calgunners in Service This forum is a place for our active duty and deployed members to share, request and have a bit of home where ever they are.

Old 09-21-2013, 7:19 AM
Calguns Addict

Default Need recruiter help for a student of mine

I have a high school student who has major family issues but is crazy smart and knows that the military will get her out of that mess ASAP. She knows she wants to work in the medical side of the military and is split between army and navy and active-duty or reserves. She also wants to know if ROTC is a valid option because she has the grades and the smarts, but no family structure to help her pay for college. She is an A student and does leadership activities.

I know that when I signed up for the Army Reserve, the Navy recruiter had a program called Seaman to Admiral for kids like this. That was back in 99. I ended up going the ROTC route after I had already started to attend college. Is it correct that she just applies to ROTC in addition to her college applications or after she has been accepted? What routes would you recommend for this kid? Thanks.

Massive cleaning out the safes sale in Contra Costa, Rifles, Handguns, C&R, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWalkerM View Post
eh why bring logic into this, that makes too much sense... besides when you have bested a fool, you have accomplished nothing and he is a fool.
Old 09-21-2013, 4:17 PM

Navy still has Seaman to Admiral, and IMHO still the best place to learn and work medicine. My youngest is a Corpsman in the Northwest and is doing very well as I am proud of her ta-boot.

My recommendations to anyone seeing a recruiter, is to not accept E1 out of Boot, E3 can be had if your recruiter packages well. Also, don't take the job they offer if it is not what you want, my girl walked out of MEPS twice before taking their offer.

On a final note, if the recruiter is not doing a good job, ask for another, it is your EIGHT YEARS after all!
Old 10-01-2013, 1:14 PM

Reserves won't get her out of her current situation at home, and will not provide enough cash for college, living expenses, etc. Better to go 6-8 years as medic or corpsman and get the full fledged GI bill to boot. If she's really gung-ho, then she can be recommended for OCS by her Command and save even more time / $$ / make more $$.
Old 10-02-2013, 8:04 PM
CGN Contributor

PM sent
Support your resource! Become a Calguns Contributor!
Old 10-02-2013, 11:04 PM

Only ACTIVE will get her out of her current living situation. I have soldiers that are in a world of hurt because of issues and their inability to fund being in the reserves (i.e. work on weekends for a fraction of the pay, and have a car to drive 100 miles to drill), and living with loser friends and family who take issued equipment and pawn it and resulting in article 15ís and demotions.
ACTIVE
Old 10-03-2013, 6:22 AM

Honestly Active Duty seems to be your students best option. Navy always seemed to be a better route. I have seen their extensive facilities and they are wonderful. The Army has a good medical program, but I always felt the Navy had a better medical program.

I am sure this is not an easy thing to deal with for your student but she is lucky to have an instructor like yourself. Good luck.

Watch this and thank a veteran next time you see him.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yfrr3kxzJtU
Old 10-03-2013, 7:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scobun View Post
I have a high school student who has major family issues but is crazy smart and knows that the military will get her out of that mess ASAP. She knows she wants to work in the medical side of the military and is split between army and navy and active-duty or reserves. She also wants to know if ROTC is a valid option because she has the grades and the smarts, but no family structure to help her pay for college. She is an A student and does leadership activities.

I know that when I signed up for the Army Reserve, the Navy recruiter had a program called Seaman to Admiral for kids like this. That was back in 99. I ended up going the ROTC route after I had already started to attend college. Is it correct that she just applies to ROTC in addition to her college applications or after she has been accepted? What routes would you recommend for this kid? Thanks.
She should apply for ROTC and every other scholarship.

As for Army vs. Navy, I've been both. If she enlists it really depends on what she wants to do on the medical side. I've seen Army medics push a guy's eyeball back into his head and bandage him up in the middle of a fire fight and then get on a tank and back in the fight on an M240. Navy guys typically won't do this, and I don't know if they're allowing female Corpsman to serve with the Marines.

FWIW, my wife went to college on Academic scholarships and the Army paid for her medical school. At 26 she was a doctor with no student loans, but this is obviously a competitive road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyCobraManTim View Post
Reserves won't get her out of her current situation at home, and will not provide enough cash for college, living expenses, etc. Better to go 6-8 years as medic or corpsman and get the full fledged GI bill to boot. If she's really gung-ho, then she can be recommended for OCS by her Command and save even more time / $$ / make more $$.
A 4 year degree is required for OCS.
Old 10-04-2013, 11:04 AM

Correct- I neglected to mention the 2 or 4 year degree requirement, though the Army will help existing enlisted soldiers finish their degree before going Green to Gold.